ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the bigger threat to democracy trump or biden?

Now you're making things up. I never said I was "willing to vote" for Trump. Ironically, I'm assuming you would vote for Biden, and yet, he has needed to be "reigned in by the federal courts" too (see the previously posted decision regarding student loan forgiveness).

Please link a quote from Trump where he states that he will appoint federal judges "he deems loyal." Even if he said it and meant it, your worries rely upon a real ignorance about federal judges, who they are, what they do, and how the entire federal judicial system works.
Trump appointed over 150 federal judges in his first term. If you don't think there hasn't been cultural, ideological and legal repercussions from that, you're more idealistic about the federal judiciary than I first thought.

It's not like I'm suggesting that Trump is just going to appoint judges who will just rescind the constitution. But his appointment of young, far-right judges has already had long term repercussions. As Sonia Sotomayor said, the judiciary is where policy is made.

Now you're making things up. I never said I was "willing to vote" for Trump. Ironically, I'm assuming you would vote for Biden, and yet, he has needed to be "reigned in by the federal courts" too (see the previously posted decision regarding student loan forgiveness).

Please link a quote from Trump where he states that he will appoint federal judges "he deems loyal." Even if he said it and meant it, your worries rely upon a real ignorance about federal judges, who they are, what they do, and how the entire federal judicial system works.
I can’t wait for you to walk into 3UP with your flat bill red MAGA hat.
party trump GIF

@mcmurtry66 great thread. This is going to be a spicy one. Also, no opinion is a vote for Biden being a greater threat @UncleMark @TheOriginalHappyGoat @cosmickid @DCGeneral @Stuffshot @ButHerEmails @twenty02

What are your thoughts @stollcpa?

Last edited:
I am an atheist
One of my brothers is an atheist. So is one of my best friends. Guy is involved in a shitload of volunteer, charitable endeavors. I tell him he's more Christ-like than most of my Christian friends. He laughs and tells me he's just hedging his bets in case he's wrong.

None of my atheist friends and relatives seem very happy. I hope you're the exception.

Reactions: BradStevens
Trump appointed over 150 federal judges in his first term. If you don't think there hasn't been cultural, ideological and legal repercussions from that, you're more idealistic about the federal judiciary than I first thought.

It's not like I'm suggesting that Trump is just going to appoint judges who will just rescind the constitution. But his appointment of young, far-right judges has already had long term repercussions. As Sonia Sotomayor said, the judiciary is where policy is made.
and so would a lefty doing the same on myriad issues. you just cannot see how partisan you are. that's the point of this thread

Reactions: DANC
One of my brothers is an atheist. So is one of my best friends. Guy is involved in a shitload of volunteer, charitable endeavors. I tell him he's more Christ-like than most of my Christian friends. He laughs and tells me he's just hedging his bets in case he's wrong.

None of my atheist friends and relatives seem very happy. I hope you're the exception.
i have an atheist friend who literally is the happiest guy i know and leads the life of riley his life is so damn charmed. cortez will attest

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
i have an atheist friend who literally is the happiest guy i know and leads the life of riley his life is so damn charmed. cortez will attest
I thought you were an atheist (or agnostic) as well.

All the ones I know (and I know several) seem pretty miserable.

Good. They need to get to work.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
and so would a lefty doing the same on myriad issues. you just cannot see how partisan you are. that's the point of this thread
I fully admit I'm left of center. Maybe further left than others.

That said, I don't see this as an either/or proposition. That line of thinking - that 'both sides' are just as bad - probably has some historical context. I'm actually not a fan of any politician. That said, at this moment in time, Trump is much more of a threat to democracy than anyone with a 'D' behind their name.

to those polled it looks pretty evenly split between trump and biden. absurd we can't get rid of both. that seems like something most of america actually agree on
I am more concerned about the state of the Republic.

i would be in the group that believes neither trump nor biden are a threat to democracy. i believe both sides have arguments for their beliefs but they are largely partisan and politicized. the checks and balances have held true with just minor exceptions.

it's interesting times as so much of this "democracy challenge" talk really centers around covid and the divisions that it created and the power of our institutions as well as their failures from mandates to voting changes. as i said before we could use smart, competent, leaders at this time and it's a shame trump and biden are who we have. it's a shame trump and biden are who we had during the pandemic
Why did you ask if you already knew the answer?

And why is this thread 90+ posts long when you already gave the class the correct response in post #4?

No, he was responding to BS' idealized suggestion that justices and judges are these completely independent, apolitical, unbiased individuals, viewing and deciding every case through a perfectly objective lens.

I've been practicing in federal courts all across the nation for over 20 years now. I've practiced in front of quite a few Trump appointees already. Just today, in fact, I'm supplementing authority to the Seventh Circuit that was written by a Trump appointee to the Sixth Circuit.

And given what I do, I will tell you that conservative judges have cost me A LOT of money over the years. So yes, I'm well aware of how many judges Trump appointed and what their idealogical bent is.

But please tell me: which "cultural, idealogical[,] and legal repercussions" are you talking about that are so Trump specific friendly? Which of these Trump appointees is going to decide cases in his personal favor, in spite of the law and Constitution? Which are going to assist Trump in ending democracy?

Good. They need to get to work.
Why?

Conservatives/Republicans claim they are for small government and that government should leave people alone in their lives. Could it be that Conservatives/Republicans are hypocrites?

No, he was responding to BS' idealized suggestion that justices and judges are these completely independent, apolitical, unbiased individuals, viewing and deciding every case through a perfectly objective lens.
and i think his take that they are as politically biased as implied is false

I've been practicing in federal courts all across the nation for over 20 years now. I've practiced in front of quite a few Trump appointees already. Just today, in fact, I'm supplementing authority to the Seventh Circuit that was written by a Trump appointee to the Sixth Circuit.

And given what I do, I will tell you that conservative judges have cost me A LOT of money over the years. So yes, I'm well aware of how many judges Trump appointed and what their idealogical bent is.

But please tell me: which "cultural, idealogical[,] and legal repercussions" are you talking about that are so Trump specific friendly? Which of these Trump appointees is going to decide cases in his personal favor, in spite of the law and Constitution? Which are going to assist Trump in ending democracy?
@Bowlmania see above

I, like almost anyone in the West, no matter our inability to believe in a supernatural being, are Christians in most ways that matter, morally. And yes, I try to do a lot of volunteer work, both legal and otherwise.

I hope you can tell from my posting that I am not a militant anti-religion person (although I was when younger). With age and maturity, though, I see the benefit that religion provides to many who follow it.

what's funny is i am actually good and have zero interest in dating. like none. i've never felt that way before. i think it's a sign i must be getting old or just old
So….sex drive does go away at some point? I can’t wait for that to happen. I’m going to talk mad sh#t to my wife when it happens. I fold so easy now because she has the goodies.

Here's some weekend reading for you.

I'd like to talk some sense into whoever made that argument. Could you link to it?

Didn't you accuse me of "over-the-top" rhetoric just a few posts ago?

Reactions: DANC

that's not or should not be an anti trump matter or have anything to do with trump himself. that should be an anti whoever the conservative who wins is. that's just the way the luck of the draw operates. if biden won again the right could argue the same.

Reactions: NPT and BradStevens
that's not or should not be an anti trump matter or have anything to do with trump himself. that should be an anti whoever the conservative who wins is. that's just the way the luck of the draw operates. if biden won again the right could argue the same.
You're not following. You need to read the entire article.

Thanks. I'll have to ask her about that when I talk to her next month.

What Scheindlin is complaining about, though, isn't 150 judges that are "loyal" to Trump. She's complaining that the judges he appointed are conservative jurists. Any conservative president would/could have done that, right? So what is so pernicious about Trump here that is a "threat to democracy?" Do you believe conservative jurists care less about democracy than liberal ones? Or are more beholden to Republican office holders than liberal judges to Dem office holders (neither really are, by the way)?

This has been covered ad nauseum here. So much so that bringing up all the ways the economy has improved over the last three years isn't worth it. At this point, anyone making the statement you made just isn't paying serious attention and probably needs a helmet to go out in public.
I describe your excuses this way:

Bidenomics is a kick to the nuts Monday and Bidenomics apologists all taking credit for us feeling better on Tuesday.

Consumer non-durable and durable goods are still way high, housing is off the charts and intest rates are nuts. oh, and the key market (NYSE) is still down from two years ago. The economy and debt are out of control. An entire generation and a half are unable to get into a home.

The average American is worse off and getting worser heading for worserist.

Grab that helmet and drink that koolaid.

Reactions: DANC and NPT

Campaign finance, the Voting Rights Act, access to healthcare and religious exemptions and freedoms have all been impacted by conservative judges in ways that don't always align with the general electorate and conservative thought leadership.

Trump's first term laid the groundwork for conservative judges to shape policy that calls for an independent lens. I'm not saying Trump will create a new monarchy in the US, but a second term where he could potentially have another unprecedented run of appointing MAGA conservative judges would be a net negative for future elections where Democratic mandates might win out.

Reactions: UncleMark
I describe your excuses this way:

Bidenomics is a kick to the nuts Monday and Bidenomics apologists all taking credit for us feeling better on Tuesday.

Consumer non-durable and durable goods are still way high, housing is off the charts and intest rates are nuts. oh, and the key market (NYSE) is still down from two years ago. The economy and debt are out of control. An entire generation and a half are unable to get into a home.

The average American is worse off and getting worser heading for worserist.

Grab that helmet and drink that koolaid.
Shorter version: Popeyes.

cutting the fed gov sounds fantastic. as coh said we had 4 years of trump and saw what he did. i believe biden after three years is a far worse threat, as do more independents in in that article. nevertheless reasonable minds. both sides should return to issues. cutting the fed gov sounds good.
Very very few people like me (moderate independent) actually voted FOR Biden, they voted AGAINST trump. We knew JoJo would not be good and he has surpassed that expectation in the wrong direction.

I cannot vote for him again. I haven't voted for trump yet and won't start now.

One of the parties (or a third party) needs to get their shit together and fast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT