ADVERTISEMENT

Who did Woodson blame today after the game

Well you know what? I'll take some 'calling out' for a change. Usually he's more vague and speaks in generalities about guys.

Woodson's wikipedia page brags about how much he is about effort and accountability... If we start seeing that, for once, I'd still have some hope all is not lost.

Nah. These are excuses and frustration vs lighting a fire. We’re talking Malik here, he’s been tough as hell for a long time. He has earned more respect than Woody is showing, especially since the poor guy has to be coached by Woody’s dumbass.

Last edited:
Said he was pretty unhappy with Malik. Thought that at least two of his fouls were really bad. Thought that the ball stuck on a couple occasions when it should.have gone back out.
It does stick too much with Malik. Because he feels a burden to score. A good coach would have drilled into by now how to handle double teams. Woodson is an awful coach. And maybe not too good of a person either,

He actually said that we shot it well from 3. Take away the 2 in the final minute and we only hit 4 for the game. Frustrating to hear him make a comment like that. Shows how out of touch he is with the game and his teams performance. He said we defended the 3 well too.

Nah. These are excuses and frustration vs lighting a fire. We’re talking Malik here, he’s been tough as hell for a long time. He has earned more respect than Woody is showing, especially since the poor guy has to be coached by Woody’s dumbass.
This is what Woody does. Did the same thing in the NBA.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Hit on 8 legs of a 9 leg parlay. Guess which one missed? Reneau at 10+ points! How in THE HELL did he end with 9? 😡😡😡

Yes. Many fans are tired of his complete act. Including throwing the players under the bus after every game. And all of it counts. So you go on and root for Woody to get a new contract. He needs to go.
Nowhere in my statement did I even hint he needs a new contract. Judging him as a person is way out of your league.

Reactions: Thcgh
It does stick too much with Malik. Because he feels a burden to score. A good coach would have drilled into by now how to handle double teams. Woodson is an awful coach. And maybe not too good of a person either,
His ego wont allow him to accept that he is failing. He thinks his shit doesent stink. Well Woody it does, from Mount Vernon to Gary.

Glad to see Woody found his hero on this board. Go root for the new contract.
Actually, Woody is my all time favorite player. His coaching leaves alot to be desired. Attack his coaching skills? That's fair game. I'm not thrilled either. Attacking the man? That's way out of line especially if you're a true Hoosier fan.

Actually, Woody is my all time favorite player. His coaching leaves alot to be desired. Attack his coaching skills? That's fair game. I'm not thrilled either. Attacking the man? That's way out of line especially if you're a true Hoosier fan.
True Hoosier fan. LMAO. Your favorite all timer. That explains why you are rooting for the new contract. You are a his hero.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
True Hoosier fan. LMAO. Your favorite all timer. That explains why you are rooting for the new contract. You are a his hero.
Where in the hell did I say I want him to get a new contract? Are your reading skills that bad? Or is this just an act? You seem to have a personal vendetta against him that has nothing to do with his coaching and I have a pretty good idea what it is.

Where in the hell did I say I want him to get a new contract? Are your reading skills that bad? Or is this just an act? You seem to have a personal vendetta against him that has nothing to do with his coaching and I have a pretty good idea what it is.
I'm sure his vendatta against him is his ego and he knows he is a poor example of a basketball coach. Anything more is dancing around in your head like a tik tok
video.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I'm sure his vendatta against him is his ego and he knows he is a poor example of a basketball coach. Anything more is dancing around in your head like a tik tok
video.
Calling him a poor coach is something I can't argue with. The results back it up. Calling him a bad person is something I can't get with.

I’d bet you wanted to extend Crean and Archie as well before they were fired. Were you worried about their feelings as well? Stop accepting less than mediocrity. Try to stretch out that tiny brain every now and then to imagine what could be in this program. And congrats - your lack of intelligence led you to be the first I’ve seen to call the race card. The losing and quality of play are embarrassing . Extreme stubbornness, inflated ego, and the continued blaming of players without accepting responsibility for the mess are not qualities or actions that should be ignored. So if calling that out got your little pink panties in a bunch. Then too fckng bad.

If you actually read my posts, you would see that you and I are on the same page in regards to his coaching ability. What I take the exception to is the personal attack. Obviously you weren't on board with the hire to begin with. You brought up Archie. Let's talk about Archie. Archie got much less personal disdain here than Woody yet accomplished less. You brought up race. I never hinted nor thought of that until you mentioned it. My thinking was that you were never going to support Woody because he wasn't your choice to begin with.

If you actually read my posts, you would see that you and I are on the same page in regards to his coaching ability. What I take the exception to is the personal attack. Obviously you weren't on board with the hire to begin with. You brought up Archie. Let's talk about Archie. Archie got much less personal disdain here than Woody yet accomplished less. You brought up race. I never hinted nor thought of that until you mentioned it. My thinking was that you were never going to support Woody because he wasn't your choice to begin with.
I was a big supporter of hiring Woodson. Maybe you should look at some old posts before you run your mouth. So you don’t know wtf you are talking about. And it’s too bad I was dead wrong about him. He is clearly over his head. The stubbornness, inflated ego, and excessive blaming of players are not appealing traits. And maybe we are finding out why he has failed so miserably in recruiting over the past year. Maybe he just isn’t very likeable. Sorry if that offends you - but that is a big part of the package.

And here is what you wrote:
“You seem to have a personal vendetta against him that has nothing to do with his coaching and I have a pretty good idea what it is.”
That veiled dig isn’t something one would say if they were simply accusing someone of not being an original Woodson supporter. If that were the case, you would just say it. So you were implying something more sinister. You aren’t fooling anyone.

I was a big supporter of hiring Woodson. Maybe you should look at some old posts before you run your mouth. So you don’t know wtf you are talking about. And it’s too bad I was dead wrong about him. He is clearly over his head. The stubbornness, inflated ego, and excessive blaming of players are not appealing traits. And maybe we are finding out why he has failed so miserably in recruiting over the past year. Maybe he just isn’t very likeable. Sorry if that offends you - but that is a big part of the package.

And here is what you wrote:
“You seem to have a personal vendetta against him that has nothing to do with his coaching and I have a pretty good idea what it is.”
That veiled dig isn’t something one would say if they were simply accusing someone of not being an original Woodson supporter. If that were the case, you would just say it. So you were implying something more sinister. You aren’t fooling anyone.
I know what I wrote and what I meant by it. How you interpreted it isn't my problem. The simple fact that you have taken his coaching deficiencies and turned it into him being a bad person is out of line and will never sit well with me.

Reactions: Thcgh
I know what I wrote and what I meant by it. How you interpreted it isn't my problem. The simple fact that you have taken his coaching deficiencies and turned it into him being a bad person is out of line and will never sit well with me.
You let your emotions get away from you. Now you regret what you implied. Again, nobody would write that if they weren’t implying an accusation that they didn’t feel comfortable stating outright. So you can deny it all you want. It’s clear what you meant. Again, sorry about your panties. I’m done with you.

You let your emotions get away from you. Now you regret what you implied. Again, nobody would write that if they weren’t implying an accusation that they didn’t feel comfortable stating outright. So you can deny it all you want. It’s clear what you meant. Again, sorry about your panties. I’m done with you.
Touche

I’m sure it’s on the players?
What struck me watching his press conference was just how calm and almost congenial he seemed. A good coach would be angry and frustrated. Can you imagine Knight in this situation?

I think he knows he’s in over his head and he doesn’t have the abilities to make them good, so he’s downplaying the situation in his mind to get through it.

Woody is one of my 3 or 4 favorite IU players.. He deserves thanks for keeping the team together and for keeping TJD engaged. That was his best work here, and he's been well compensated for it.

I hate the NBA. so I can't speak to Woody as a pro coach. As a college coach, he's a disaster. There was ample evidence the previous two years, including his game coaching and the Matta/Fife situation....but I hoped he'd learn and adapt, and make whatever changes he needed to make to improve the situation.

I don't dislike Woody like George does, but I think that he's 100% correct in saying that Woody's ego and age prevents him from making any meaningful changes.

I don't agree with your comparison of how Archie and Woody have been treated on these boards. Imo, Archie received much more vilification than Woody three years in.

Reactions: .Gerdis and 76-1
What struck me watching his press conference was just how calm and almost congenial he seemed. A good coach would be angry and frustrated. Can you imagine Knight in this situation?

I think he knows he’s in over his head and he doesn’t have the abilities to make them good, so he’s downplaying the situation in his mind to get through it.
I see it more as his NBA experience coming forth.

NBA coaches of bad to mediocre teams are going to lose a bunch of games. They can't go to pieces over a single loss.

NBA coaches have more in common with baseball managers than with NFL coaches (or college basketball coaches) in that regard. It's all about personnel management, keeping an even keel with the players and with the press, and hoping you have the better players so you win the majority of games. The fundamentals are just assumed to be there.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I don't agree with your comparison of how Archie and Woody have been treated on these boards. Imo, Archie received much more vilification than Woody three years in.
There's a reason for that: Us fans split our ire between Woody and Dolson. We couldn't do that with Archie since the hire actually made sense at the time. Hence, he received all the criticism (and rightfully so).

I see it more as his NBA experience coming forth.

NBA coaches of bad to mediocre teams are going to lose a bunch of games. They can't go to pieces over a single loss.

NBA coaches have more in common with baseball managers than with NFL coaches (or college basketball coaches) in that regard. It's all about personnel management, keeping an even keel with the players and with the press, and hoping you have the better players so you win the majority of games. The fundamentals are just assumed to be there.
And there in lies the problem: "The fundamentals are just assumed to be there."

With Woody we got exactly what we should have expected: a coach who's well versed in teaching professional level technique, who's nearly forgotten how to teach the basics because he's never really had to...

I like the guy but it's clear we need to go a different direction to me...

Woody is one of my 3 or 4 favorite IU players.. He deserves thanks for keeping the team together and for keeping TJD engaged. That was his best work here, and he's been well compensated for it.

I hate the NBA. so I can't speak to Woody as a pro coach. As a college coach, he's a disaster. There was ample evidence the previous two years, including his game coaching and the Matta/Fife situation....but I hoped he'd learn and adapt, and make whatever changes he needed to make to improve the situation.

I don't dislike Woody like George does, but I think that he's 100% correct in saying that Woody's ego and age prevents him from making any meaningful changes.

No disagreement from me except about Archie, but it is what it is and I respect your take on it. It just kills me with what's going on now with Woody because I loved him to death as a player and was dying for this to work. Actually I was wanting him hired in 06. I don't know if things would have worked out differently back then but that's what I wanted. Having said that, I see that it's not working and the time to move on is now. However, I do take exception to the statements made questioning him outside of coaching. That's not right.

And there in lies the problem: "The fundamentals are just assumed to be there."

With Woody we got exactly what we should have expected: a coach who's well versed in teaching professional level technique, who's nearly forgotten how to teach the basics because he's never really had to...

I like the guy but it's clear we need to go a different direction to me...
I would think the NBA still has to deal with fundamentals for the Freshman OADs who enter the league at age 19. Some of them still need work on their shot or their footwork, etc. But agree that the Head Coach probably doesn't deal with that -- they have shooting coaches or other assistants for that kind of thing.

There's a reason for that: Us fans split our ire between Woody and Dolson. We couldn't do that with Archie since the hire actually made sense at the time. Hence, he received all the criticism (and rightfully so).
True that, although I've always thought Dull Son got too much of a pass concerning Archie. He had a chance to interview the guy for as long as he wanted, and to ask any questions that he wanted. No fan had that opportunity. I find it hard to believe that there was no hesitancy there on Archie's part, no indication that he had no personality. Absolutely NOTHING about that interview that would give you pause? Maybe not, but seems unlikely.

I would think the NBA still has to deal with fundamentals for the Freshman OADs who enter the league at age 19. Some of them still need work on their shot or their footwork, etc. But agree that the Head Coach probably doesn't deal with that -- they have shooting coaches or other assistants for that kind of thing.
Agree....but why wouldn't college asst coaches be doing the same things with the incoming freshmen and transfers? And with the whole team until the program got established?

No disagreement from me except about Archie, but it is what it is and I respect your take on it. It just kills me with what's going on now with Woody because I loved him to death as a player and was dying for this to work. Actually I was wanting him hired in 06. I don't know if things would have worked out differently back then but that's what I wanted. Having said that, I see that it's not working and the time to move on is now. However, I do take exception to the statements made questioning him outside of coaching. That's not right.

Woodson in '06, age 48/49. would have been interesting. And would have fit Herbert's agenda to have a coach 'of color'. But Woodson would have been much too close to RMK for the administration. And RMK would have told Woody not to take it if offered.

Reactions: 13thman
Well you know what? I'll take some 'calling out' for a change. Usually he's more vague and speaks in generalities about guys.

Woodson's wikipedia page brags about how much he is about effort and accountability... If we start seeing that, for once, I'd still have some hope all is not lost.
You don't do that to the media; calling out players is handled in the locker room and/or practice.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT