ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your four championship teams?

100%

Last year they put TCU in claiming "they shouldn't be penalized for playing a conference championship game", yet Georgia loses their championship game this year by 3 and goes from #1 to #6?

They leave out FSU this year because "FSU isn't one of the 4 best teams without Travis", but if that's the case then why did TCU and Cincy get in the last 2 years?

If were putting the 4 best teams in now, then why is Washington in over Georgia and OSU?

The TV networks made the call to ensure an SEC team gets in for ratings.
If you don’t thin Washington should be in you just aren’t that smart. If Oregon wins one of the two against Washington they are in. Nobody has two better wins than Washington.

If you don’t thin Washington should be in you just aren’t that smart. If Oregon wins one of the two against Washington they are in. Nobody has two better wins than Washington.
I absolutely think they should be in, but they're not one of the 4 best teams.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Mid majors upset P5 programs all the time in the dance. Almost never happens in the football playoffs.
Correct. But not getting the opportunity is the problem with football. Even though they have had basketball to model for decades, they can't seem to come up with a system that determines a real champion.

It's pure bs driven solely by money

Reactions: DANC and midwolfe
I would like to see the NCAA set up 4 -32 team playoff pods and make the post season like the Indiana HS basketball tournament where everyone plays and the true Champs earn their crowns.
Set the regular season back to 11 games and their 12th game will be like a Sectional game. Seed each team as fairly as possible. 1-32 plays in Pod #1 and so forth. Top seeds get Home Field over lower Seeds. The extra teams beyond 128 could take the option of a couple extra weeks of practice or play in a bowl game with another low ranked team.
The most games anyone would play is 16 games to make the finals (the Champs now already play 15 games). Give the teams in the finals an extra week of rest if you like. I don't want to hear how it would be too much on the student athletes.... they are already pay to play people. The money and excitement would be a positive. I know this will probably never happen but I would love to see a wider open all inclusive tournament like College Basketball. Rant over!!
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: DANC
I would like to see the NCAA set up 4 -32 team playoff pods and make the post season like the Indiana HS basketball tournament where everyone plays and the true Champs earn their crowns.
Set the regular season back to 11 games and their 12th game will be like a Sectional game. Seed each team as fairly as possible. 1-32 plays in Pod #1 and so forth. Top seeds get Home Field over lower Seeds. The extra teams beyond 128 could take the option of a couple extra weeks of practice or play in a bowl game with another low ranked team.
The most games anyone would play is 16 games to make the finals (the Champs now already play 15 games). Give the teams in the finals an extra week of rest if you like. I don't want to hear how it would be too much on the student athletes.... they are already pay to play people. The money and excitement would be a positive. I know this will probably never happen but I would love to see a wider open all inclusive tournament like College Basketball. Rant over!!
Go Hoosiers!
The Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and Big 12(?) can do that after they consolidate all the D1 teams.

So, a 5A Champion, 4A Champ, 3A, and so on...

We'd be relegated.

An injustice that FSU did not get included in the playoff. Undefeated in a major conference that had a winning record against the SEC. In addition they beat LSU and Florida (in the Swamp). It just sends the signal what you do on the field does not matter. With the portal, NIL and big TV contracts all I can say is good by college football, it was nice to know you.

An injustice that FSU did not get included in the playoff. Undefeated in a major conference that had a winning record against the SEC. In addition they beat LSU and Florida (in the Swamp). It just sends the signal what you do on the field does not matter. With the portal, NIL and big TV contracts all I can say is good by college football, it was nice to know you.
I'd have loved to see the SEC get shutout. And all that you say is true, except that most of those things happened with a Heisman-type QB that they no longer have.

The argument to include Alabama is saying you're trying to get the 4 BEST teams in, but I could certainly make the argument (even as an OSU hater) that Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams. Same with Georgia. A lot of the talking heads (and Vegas) had Oregon as better than Washington, even though Washington beat them. For good measure, they beat them again.

It seems to me that PART of the field got in on resume and part of the field got in on 'best teams' criteria. They should use the same criteria for all.

Reactions: midwolfe
The fact is the committee is permitted to consider injuries when deciding which teams to select for the playoffs.

The fact is the committee is permitted to consider injuries when deciding which teams to select for the playoffs.

So they're permitted to project the future?.... Isn't that kinda like giving HS players Stars that are supposed to show potential... er, I mean the future. IT's BS

When asked about recruiting "5-star" players didn't Cignetti say he couldn't care less about ratings or projections because they rarely work out that way....

He said it's all about results.... not potential.

It seems that should also apply to picking the playoff teams... results only.

Reactions: DANC and midwolfe
Michigan
Washington
Florida St
Liberty
All undefeated teams. Unfortunately, Liberty is undefeated in the wrong year.
Probably Texas at #4 but I could see them hosing Florida St and put in Alabama.
Hosing is correct. If the committee knows who is going to win
why play the games?

Hmm, I forgot really it was Auburn screwing up the playoff for FSU.
Prevent defense only prevents you from winning. You can NEVER give a qb and receivers infinite time to figure it out. 4th and 31. Two down lineman, bring 3 more (masked), force a quick throw that's well short or a toss up.

I'd have loved to see the SEC get shutout. And all that you say is true, except that most of those things happened with a Heisman-type QB that they no longer have.

The argument to include Alabama is saying you're trying to get the 4 BEST teams in, but I could certainly make the argument (even as an OSU hater) that Ohio State is one of the 4 best teams. Same with Georgia. A lot of the talking heads (and Vegas) had Oregon as better than Washington, even though Washington beat them. For good measure, they beat them again.

It seems to me that PART of the field got in on resume and part of the field got in on 'best teams' criteria. They should use the same criteria for all.
Not at all convinced Alabama is one of the best 4.

Reactions: 4th&short
You're right, they can, but in this case, the QB probably would have been cleared to play by the playoff games.

Not at all convinced Alabama is one of the best 4.
When you limit a playoff to 4 teams, there are going to be some years when somebody has to get screwed. This is one of those years. As was pointed out by others, I have no doubt that Georgia ( and probably Oregon and OSU) is better than FSU, and probably better than Michigan. No matter who you leave out this year, that/those team(s) can make a good case for their inclusion.

I'm not a fan of major expansion of the playoff as I think you have to start considering the additional injuries that will inevitably impact all the teams involved and the extending of the season. In fact, if I had my way, I would love to see the whole thing scrapped and go back to the days when four or five bowl games really mattered. I loved the anticipation of those huge games on New Year's Eve and Day. But I'm sure I'm in the minority with that take. But with that said, I think the expansion to eight teams will be very helpful in mitigating these controversies in most years. I don't believe that there are ever more than eight who could realistically win a championship, and it's just one additional game and week. Better to put one or two teams in the mix who probably don't belong, than to have to leave out one or two that do.

Now, if we can only do something about getting all of those playoff games on Saturday or NYE/Day when the whole country can watch, instead of running them past midnight on a Monday night when people have school and work the next day.

Reactions: 4th&short
When you limit a playoff to 4 teams, there are going to be some years when somebody has to get screwed. This is one of those years. As was pointed out by others, I have no doubt that Georgia ( and probably Oregon and OSU) is better than FSU, and probably better than Michigan. No matter who you leave out this year, that/those team(s) can make a good case for their inclusion.

I'm not a fan of major expansion of the playoff as I think you have to start considering the additional injuries that will inevitably impact all the teams involved and the extending of the season. In fact, if I had my way, I would love to see the whole thing scrapped and go back to the days when four or five bowl games really mattered. I loved the anticipation of those huge games on New Year's Eve and Day. But I'm sure I'm in the minority with that take. But with that said, I think the expansion to eight teams will be very helpful in mitigating these controversies in most years. I don't believe that there are ever more than eight who could realistically win a championship, and it's just one additional game and week. Better to put one or two teams in the mix who probably don't belong, than to have to leave out one or two that do.

Now, if we can only do something about getting all of those playoff games on Saturday or NYE/Day when the whole country can watch, instead of running them past midnight on a Monday night when people have school and work the next day.
12 teams, not 8, starting next year.

I've said for years that if the biggest sporting event in the world (Super Bowl) can finish by 10:15pm ET on a Sunday, there's no reason any other championship game needs to end past that time or certainly past 11pm.

In fact, if I had my way, I would love to see the whole thing scrapped and go back to the days when four or five bowl games really mattered. I loved the anticipation of those huge games on New Year's Eve and Day. But I'm sure I'm in the minority with that take
I've thought this for a long time, and still think the old system is better than anything that's been tried since. I think if you want a playoff, I'd like to see:

1. eliminate conference championship games
2. use "championship week" for an eight team quarterfinal
3. winners get reseeded into semifinals consisting of 2 rotating traditional "BCS" bowls on NYD
4. losers get selected for the other 2 "BCS" bowls
5. championship played at a rotating pro stadium location

Reactions: jsenleo
12 teams, not 8, starting next year.

I've said for years that if the biggest sporting event in the world (Super Bowl) can finish by 10:15pm ET on a Sunday, there's no reason any other championship game needs to end past that time or certainly past 11pm.
Correct, my mistake. For the reasons stated earlier, I'm not a fan of 12. I also dislike the idea of byes, as I think they provide a huge advantage to teams who get an extra week of preparation and rest (and protection from injury) so late in the season.

I had to chuckle at Kirby Smart’s comment after the Alabama game.
‘It’s not about the most deserving teams,it’s about the best teams’
Isn’t that kinda one in the same lol

I had to chuckle at Kirby Smart’s comment after the Alabama game.
‘It’s not about the most deserving teams,it’s about the best teams’
Isn’t that kinda one in the same lol

Hey Kirby, you idiot.... the "best" teams don't lose games.

Hey Kirby, you idiot.... the "best" teams don't lose games.
Kirby is paid to say whatever would potentially get his team in the playoffs.

A man who wins 29 straight games and back-to-back national titles is far from an idiot.

Kirby is paid to say whatever would potentially get his team in the playoffs.

A man who wins 29 straight games and back-to-back national titles is far from an idiot.

You're only as good as your last win.... uhm...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT