ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think are the best college FB jobs?

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Interesting to consider in light of the Bama job opening up.. Lot of factors go into it, including intangibles, environment, expectations, resources, recruiting base et al. I would rank my top 20 as:

1. Texas
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Bama
5. OSU
6. Michigan
7. ND
8. Florida
9. PSU
10. A&M
11. Nebraska.
12. Oregon
13. Oklahoma
14 LSU. I only rate it this low because you'd have to live in Louisiana.
15. FSU
16. Virginia Tech
17. Arkansas
18. Michigan St.
19. Wisconsin
20. N. Carolina
21. Washington
Others: Miami, BYU

Edit: I left out Auburn. I'd have them in the 12-15 range.

Edit #2: I left out Tennessee & Clemson. I'd have Tennessee just behind Florida and ahead of PSU; I'd have Clemson just behind FSU and just ahead of VT. And I think the points made about UCLA are pretty valid. Lets put then in just behind Arkansas and just ahead of MSU.

One thing to remember about UCLA, Oregon, and Washington. They're in the BT, but only at 1/2 (or so) rates for the first 6(?) years, So that's a similar problem to the ACC teams, except they can recruit as a BT team.

Last edited:
Nebraska is much lower on my list. Probably has the worst recruiting base of all the teams on your list. Oregon and Washington are much higher on my list. Good list overall, though.

Hard to argue with your list.

I'd include UCLA. California has one of the best football talent bases in the country. School has an excellent academic reputation. Nice facilities, and playing in the Rose Bowl isn't too shabby. Traffic sucks and California's crazy expensive but that's not an issue for a power conference head coach. Good location for a coach's family, with unlimited things to do and see. Free tuition for the kids at UCLA's Anderson School, one of the best business schools in the country.

Hard to argue with your list.

I'd include UCLA. California has one of the best football talent bases in the country. School has an excellent academic reputation. Nice facilities, and playing in the Rose Bowl isn't too shabby. Traffic sucks and California's crazy expensive but that's not an issue for a power conference head coach. Good location for a coach's family, with unlimited things to do and see. Free tuition for the kids at UCLA's Anderson School, one of the best business schools in the country.
Plus UCLA has one of the prettiest campuses with some very nice attractions. 🙂

Interesting to consider in light of the Bama job opening up.. Lot of factors go into it, including intangibles, environment, expectations, resources, recruiting base et al. I would rank my top 20 as:

1. Texas
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Bama
5. OSU
6. Michigan
7. ND
8. Florida
9. PSU
10. A&M
11. Nebraska.
12. Oregon
13. Oklahoma
15. FSU
16. Virginia Tech
17. Arkansas
18. Michigan St.
19. Wisconsin
20. N. Carolina
21. Washington

Great list, kudos. I'd add Tennessee and Clemson in the mid teens ahead of Va Tech.

Reactions: red hornet

1. Texas
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Bama
5. OSU
6. Michigan
7. ND
8. Florida
9. PSU
10. A&M
11. Nebraska.
12. Oregon
13. Oklahoma
15. FSU
16. Virginia Tech
17. Arkansas
18. Michigan St.
19. Wisconsin
20. N. Carolina
21. Washington

Top 10 not bad. I would move Bama down and Florida and LSU up.

Bama is NOT a better job than OSU, in my opinion. I don't think Bama is a great job overall, to be honest. It's just a job that, when they have a great coach, can be the best. But there's nothing inherent about Alabama that makes it better than a lot of SEC schools, in my opinion.

Bama is NOT a better job than OSU, in my opinion. I don't think Bama is a great job overall, to be honest. It's just a job that, when they have a great coach, can be the best. But there's nothing inherent about Alabama that makes it better than a lot of SEC schools, in my opinion.
I agree. Their recent dominance is due much more to Saban than anything inherent about Alabama.

Nebraska is much lower on my list. Probably has the worst recruiting base of all the teams on your list. Oregon and Washington are much higher on my list. Good list overall, though.
I think a lot of folks would agree with you. My thought is that their recent troubles might make it a more attractive job. Their fanbase has been humbled, but hasn't yet given up, similar to the IU basketball fanbase. They are still a brand. They won't want to run you out of town if you go 10 and 2. They're probably pretty good at NIL. But the biggest thing is....they're the only game in town. Only Nebraska could get 9000 for a volleyball game. I view Nebraska as Iowa with a bigger upside.

I think a lot of folks would agree with you. My thought is that their recent troubles might make it a more attractive job. Their fanbase has been humbled, but hasn't yet given up, similar to the IU basketball fanbase. They are still a brand. They won't want to run you out of town if you go 10 and 2. They're probably pretty good at NIL. But the biggest thing is....they're the only game in town. Only Nebraska could get 9000 for a volleyball game. I view Nebraska as Iowa with a bigger upside.
92,000 actually:) Volleyball's a big deal there.

1. Texas
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Bama
5. OSU
6. Michigan
7. ND
8. Florida
9. PSU
10. A&M
11. Nebraska.
12. Oregon
13. Oklahoma
15. FSU
16. Virginia Tech
17. Arkansas
18. Michigan St.
19. Wisconsin
20. N. Carolina
21. Washington

Mine would look like this...derived from a balance of: opportunity to make CFP Playoff, tradition and fan following, Campus location, recruiting base, resources and facilities

1. Penn State
2. Texas
3. Georgia
4. Alabama
5. Oregon
6. Tennessee
7. Notre Dame
8. Miami, FL
9. Florida
10. LSU
11. Ohio State
12. Washington
13. Clemson
14. USC
15. UCLA
16. Michigan
17. Oklahoma State
18. Florida State
19. Auburn
20. Wisconsin

I chose Penn State number 1 because I think even with the new conference alignments, the B10 will be easier than the SEC to come out of with only 1 loss. Also, Happy Valley is an incredible town/area. Penn State easily pulls from Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and DC area...their stadium, support, history, resources, are incredible.

Great list, kudos. I'd add Tennessee and Clemson in the mid teens ahead of Va Tech.
yes, thanks, I forgot both.

I'd have Tennessee rated as the highest of the two. I would see them as like an Auburn, but without an in-state problem like Bama....I'd probably put them 9th, just ahead of PSU.

Clemson has more in-state competition (U of South Carolina) than Tennessee, and being in the ACC is a problem for the foreseeable future. They're similar to VT, but with a better history but somewhat less desirable location. I'd put them just behind FSU and just ahead of VT.

Last edited:
I agree. Their recent dominance is due much more to Saban than anything inherent about Alabama.
I tend to agree with both of you, but one thing that I have to tip my cap on is how Bama has capitalized on their recent notoriety to pour money into academics and across other sports. Again, it is another job at a school with great fan support which can be found at plenty of 8-4 programs. So while it is not automatically at the top like many view it, they have built up a national brand over the past 15 years that few SEC schools can rival.

Reactions: asindc
I understand what you are saying, but they have a hell of a lot of hardware now.....easily the most successful college program of all-time. In contrast, OSU has 5 NCs since WW2. Not shabby, but not Bama-like (13). And two of CF's Top 4 most iconic coaches in Bryant & Saban. Additionally, Bama has advantages in weather and recruiting base.

Look at Kansas basketball---what advantages do they have other than having been highly successful?

I understand what you are saying, but they have a hell of a lot of hardware now.....easily the most successful college program of all-time. In contrast, OSU has 5 NCs since WW2. Not shabby, but not Bama-like (13). And two of CF's Top 4 most iconic coaches in Bryant & Saban. Additionally, Bama has advantages in weather and recruiting base.

Look at Kansas basketball---what advantages do they have other than having been highly successful?
Recruiting base is why I don't have Bama rated that high. They have to go out of state to get most of their best players.

Bama is centrally located within decent driving distance to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. They've also obviously transcended that geographic area, to be a top destination for really any top HS player, regardless of where they're from. Weather is good. Tuscaloosa isn't the same level of town as some others on the list, but its a nice campus. They have incredible facilities. Its a primo job, for sure.

Recruiting base is why I don't have Bama rated that high. They have to go out of state to get most of their best players.
Alabama HS football isn't chopped liver. Nor is Mississippi. Obviously Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida are hotbeds, and they're within a manageable drive.

Alabama HS football isn't chopped liver. Nor is Mississippi. Obviously Louisiana, Georgia, and Florida are hotbeds, and they're within a manageable drive.
Bama, small state. Good HS football but not the numbers. And you just named 3 schools that don't have to leave their borders.

Reactions: red hornet

Not sure I agree about their recruiting base. They're in the south, so that's great. But they're not the only school in the state like LSU and Georgia (for all intents) and Tennessee (again, for all intents) and it's not a very populous state.

We'll see. But they've been a very ordinary program when they haven't had a GOAT coach, except for Stallings, who was a pretty damned good coach himself.

Bama is centrally located within decent driving distance to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. They've also obviously transcended that geographic area, to be a top destination for really any top HS player, regardless of where they're from. Weather is good. Tuscaloosa isn't the same level of town as some others on the list, but its a nice campus. They have incredible facilities. Its a primo job, for sure.
Transcendent with Saban. Without. We'll see.

Reactions: vesuvius13
There's been a whopping 5 coaches since the 1920s win national championships at Bama in football. I don't think it's smart money to downplay the Alabama job...It's a beast!

Gene Stallings had a great tenure in Tuscaloosa that included a national championship in the early 90s. Prior to that, he had been head coach at Texas A&M with dismal results!! What's that tell you??

There's been a whopping 5 coaches since the 1920s win national championships at Bama in football. I don't think it's smart money to downplay the Alabama job...It's a beast!

Gene Stallings had a great tenure in Tuscaloosa that included a national championship in the early 90s. Prior to that, he had been head coach at Texas A&M with dismal results!! What's that tell you??
Gene Stallings was 29 when he took over at Texas A&M. I’d say he learned a little in his career (from Tom Landry) between then and 1991.

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Texas
5. Georgia
6. Clemson (easier path)
7. Notre Dame (easier path)
8. Florida
9. Florida State (easier path)
10. USC
11. Michigan
12. Oklahoma
13. Texas A&M
14. Oregon
15. Penn State
16. Miami
17. Kentucky ($$$ and job security)
18. Washington
19. UCLA
20. Wisconsin

Worst jobs:
Auburn
Tennessee
Arkansas

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Texas
5. Georgia
6. Clemson (easier path)
7. Notre Dame (easier path)
8. Florida
9. Florida State (easier path)
10. USC
11. Michigan
12. Oklahoma
13. Texas A&M
14. Oregon
15. Penn State
16. Miami
17. Kentucky ($$$ and job security)
18. Washington
19. UCLA
20. Wisconsin

Worst jobs:
Auburn
Tennessee
Arkansas
This is an odd list

I would use pay, ability to recruit, fanbase, NIL and history of school.

1.Texas

2.Ohio St

3.Alabama

4.Georgia

5.LSU

6.Florida

7.USC

8.FSU

9.Michigan

10.ND

IMO the top 5 are all interchangeable. Most of this list consists of blue bloods. There’s no secret as to why they seem to coincide with each other.

I would use pay, ability to recruit, fanbase, NIL and history of school.

1.Texas

2.Ohio St

3.Alabama

4.Georgia

5.LSU

6.Florida

7.USC

8.FSU

9.Michigan

10.ND

IMO the top 5 are all interchangeable. Most of this list consists of blue bloods. There’s no secret as to why they seem to coincide with each other.
You're right. Pre NIL list might be very different from post NIL list. Show me the money.

I'd put Clemson in the top 10 for these reasons:
  1. Recent success, which means more than historical success, such as Nebraska.
  2. Tremendous fan support (so that means big $$ for HC, ACs and NIL, right?).
  3. Strength of schedule - an ACC schedule is easier and more likely to earn a bid in the now 12 team BCS versus the SEC or B1G, especially B1G East as IU fans understand better than anyone.

I'd put Clemson in the top 10 for these reasons:
  1. Recent success, which means more than historical success, such as Nebraska.
  2. Tremendous fan support (so that means big $$ for HC, ACs and NIL, right?).
  3. Strength of schedule - an ACC schedule is easier and more likely to earn a bid in the now 12 team BCS versus the SEC or B1G, especially B1G East as IU fans understand better than anyone.
I'll grant you 1 & 2. The big problem going forward with the ACC isn't so much the lesser revenue, which is significant, but rather that the top recruits will prefer to play in the SEC or Big 10, which are coming to be viewed as the P2, rather than the ACC, which will be viewed as a Tier 2 conference.

Also, although Clemson is viewed as a brand, I don't think their TV ratings match up with Bama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Auburn, OSU, Michigan, ND et al. Part of this is because ACC fans are not necessarily big ACC fans, while that problem doesn't exist as much in the SEC (especially) or the BT. There was always a divide in the ACC between the original bluebloods, the added NE teams, and the late arriving football powers of FSU, Clemson, and Miami. Part of it is that South Carolina is a rather small population state, the City of Clemson is rather small, and state loyalties are divided between Clemson & S.C.

The best jobs are ones with major fan support, admin support, and the best coaches. That would put several SEC teams at the top with a few B1G teams added to them. Some of the new B1G teams will be in that grouping too as Washington and Oregon have shown. Clemson and FSU have shown how teams can miss out on some factors becoming mediocre until the right coach does the job of getting them back like they are now. Miami is a prime example of a top program declining to the point even bringing in the top coaches doesn't get them back into the top ranks.

Purdue, Illinois, and others have gone through the same decline, we will see if coaches can get them back up into the elite level. Look at how far Rutgers declined when Schiano left and how tough it has been until he returned.

Hard to really list one or two schools that stand out over the others but I read a couple of years ago that LSU and OSU have recruiting advantages over everyone else because they control their home state recruiting better than the others and both Ohio and Louisiana still have solid HS football

Hard to really list one or two schools that stand out over the others but I read a couple of years ago that LSU and OSU have recruiting advantages over everyone else because they control their home state recruiting better than the others and both Ohio and Louisiana still have solid HS football
I live little more than a handful of miles from the Buckeye/Hoosier state line. I've numerous acquaintances there. As everyone probably understands football is King in the state. Friday nights there are only by a minuscule of measure less prominent than Friday nights in Texas. How many instate collegiate programs carve up recruiting in the Lone Star? Big, big edge to Ohio.

I live little more than a handful of miles from the Buckeye/Hoosier state line. I've numerous acquaintances there. As everyone probably understands football is King in the state. Friday nights there are only by a minuscule of measure less prominent than Friday nights in Texas. How many instate collegiate programs carve up recruiting in the Lone Star? Big, big edge to Ohio.
Yeah, I lived in Delaware Ohio a few years back and to say that OSU football is king in that state would be a HUGE understatement. I've read that they've only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s which is mind boggling. Can't remember the last time they've had more than 2 losses in a season. Two loss seasons are considered total failures

They've finished behind Michigan the last 3 years and it's eating at them as they're killing it in the Transfer Portal and recruiting and that takes NIL money. I look for Michigan to take a step back this year - with all of their losses - and OSU to possibly (along with Georgia) have the most talented roster out there and that's because of the support the program and coach gets from the fan base

Yeah, I lived in Delaware Ohio a few years back and to say that OSU football is king in that state would be a HUGE understatement. I've read that they've only had 2 losing seasons since the mid 1960s which is mind boggling. Can't remember the last time they've had more than 2 losses in a season. Two loss seasons are considered total failures

They've finished behind Michigan the last 3 years and it's eating at them as they're killing it in the Transfer Portal and recruiting and that takes NIL money. I look for Michigan to take a step back this year - with all of their losses - and OSU to possibly (along with Georgia) have the most talented roster out there and that's because of the support the program and coach gets from the fan base
2 biggest problems this season with the Buck's offense was the QB wasn't yet ready for big time playmaking. I blame the QB coach a little but they missed KW much more than was ever expressed. The absence of his skill at creating matchups was like not having spark for fuel. Bill O'Brian as the new OC will help those deficiencies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT