ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your four championship teams?

Mine.

Michigan
Washington
Texas
No clue
It’ll be the top three undefeated teams and then the committee will use the eyeball test rationale to have Alabama leapfrog everyone else. Can’t really use the Texas beat em argument because that was week one. They will have to consider strength of schedule and that is why Texas will get jumped. Will be interesting to see what happens between OSU, Georgia, Texas, and Bama.

Reactions: DANC
Just to show how broken this whole thing is and always was, I saw someone advocating for Georgia to be included because they are back to back champions. Like previous seasons should have a bearing on this season. You don't have a real championship unless it's one you earn your way into.
Georgia should get in as they are one of the two best teams. It’s Georgia and Alabama. Everyone else is a pretender.

Now do Texas.

Now do Alabama.

Now do Georgia.

Don’t base it off of brand names and historical success. Look at Ranked wins, and where the games were played.
You can do that part of the argument where insisting it be on your own criteria.

Yeah, the SEC IMO is down a bit, but it's still the SEC gauntlet. Your argument appears to be 'signature wins'. Yeah that's OK, but I am one who believes the strength over the entire season takes a toll, it's tougher, player get more beat up. The teams pointed out in a different post are weaker then the SEC mid teams. Not Vanderbilt of course.

Texas beat Alabama. Only 'bad' loss to a solid Oklahoma team. Alabama beat Georgia in the title game. Both those wins are as good as beating Oregon. Rest of SEC schedule better than the PAC Gone schedule.

Doesn't matter Washington is in. And offense can beat defense in modern football IMO. So they are a threat. I think they'll lose. But they deserve to be in. Beating Oregon in the title game did raise my opinion.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Georgia should get in as they are one of the two best teams. It’s Georgia and Alabama. Everyone else is a pretender.
That may be true but that wasn’t the argument. Your statement is based on an opinion. What other league, professional or not do you not have teams that automatically qualify by winning their divisions or conference? It’s a joke. It’s contrived to foster TV shows talking endlessly about who should be in.

You can do that part of the argument where insisting it be on your own criteria.

Yeah, the SEC IMO is down a bit, but it's still the SEC gauntlet. Your argument appears to be 'signature wins'. Yeah that's OK, but I am one who believes the strength over the entire season takes a toll, it's tougher, player get more beat up. The teams pointed out in a different post are weaker then the SEC mid teams. Not Vanderbilt of course.

Texas beat Alabama. Only 'bad' loss to a solid Oklahoma team. Alabama beat Georgia in the title game. Both those wins are as good as beating Oregon. Rest of SEC schedule better than the PAC Gone schedule.

Doesn't matter Washington is in. And offense can beat defense in modern football IMO. So they are a threat. I think they'll lose. But they deserve to be in. Beating Oregon in the title game did raise my opinion.
Historically, I might agree with you about the southeastern conference, being a tougher gauntlet. But not this year. There were some really bad football teams in the southeastern conference this year. Not just Vanderbilt.

Arizona, Utah, Oregon state were all roughly as good as the fourth fifth and sixth best teams in the SEC this year.

Reactions: dr.jb and CraigHo
You can and should leave out an undefeated power 5 conference team that is clearly not a top four team in the country. Alabama is far, far better right now. And so is Georgia.
Far far better? After they need a miracle to beat Auburn? Who got curb stomped the week before by New Mexico State? SEC is trash. They can stay home.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Boom. FSU screwed over to get bammer in their and they're saying it because of the QB situation.
I mean, it’s a fair argument whether I agree with it or not.

But this ‘best teams’ argument is always subjective. Just like how pundits told us for weeks how Oregon was better than Washington despite Washington beating them on their home field. So they beat them again.

If we were truly, just trying to get the four best teams in, we’d probably be talking about Michigan, Ohio, State, Georgia, and Washington. We wouldn’t be talking about Alabama, or Texas, or Florida State.

But results on the field matter, and they should.

I’m just making a circular argument at this point, because I frankly don’t know what the correct answer was.

That’s not why they got left out. They got left out only because their quarterback got hurt. If he hadn’t gotten hurt, and they were undefeated with the schedule that they had they’d be in the playoff. So your point is irrelevant.
They got left out because no one believes they're one of the 4 best teams genius. That's in large part because they beat and played nobody.

Reactions: ulrey
They got left out because no one believes they're one of the 4 best teams genius. That's in large part because they beat and played nobody.
All the talking head arguments I heard before flipping it over to NFL coverage were 3rd string QB arguments.

Well, once again, you’re completely wrong. No one talked about their schedule. They talked about how losing their quarterback impacts what they are currently.

Far far better? After they need a miracle to beat Auburn? Who got curb stomped the week before by New Mexico State? SEC is trash. They can stay home.
There's no way auburn should have lost that game. 0, nada, zilch

They got left out because the committee makes it up as they go. According to the committee Bama is better than FSU, but FSU is better than Georgia? They’re f#cking idiots.
Yeah that’s how you know it’s a scam. Not one of those assholes believe FSU is better than Georgia, but that’s their consolation I guess.

Yeah that’s how you know it’s a scam. Not one of those assholes believe FSU is better than Georgia, but that’s their consolation I guess.
They're likely playing Georgia in the Orange Bowl so they'll get their chance to prove if they belonged.

They're likely playing Georgia in the Orange Bowl so they'll get their chance to prove if they belonged.
If I was FSU, I wouldn’t show up. Cause them to lose 100s of millions. Since we all know it’s not about being the best anymore, it’s about money.

The ESPN narrative is so hypocritical.

Make every argument in the book for Bama and Georgia before the announcement.

Feigning being distraught for Florida St. after the announcement. Reese Davis nearly teared up I think

Michigan
Washington
Texas
Alabama

TV ratings should be awesome. 3 blue bloods plus an underdog of sorts in Washington.
Can Texas really be called a football blue blood? Sure, they're great this year, but they haven't done squat in a long time.

It wasn't that long ago that Maryland was running up the score on them 2 years in a row.

Can Texas really be called a football blue blood? Sure, they're great this year, but they haven't done squat in a long time.

It wasn't that long ago that Maryland was running up the score on them 2 years in a row.
They are always hyped, and rarely match the hype. Think Michigan State basketball.

• Love
They got left out because the committee makes it up as they go.
100%

Last year they put TCU in claiming "they shouldn't be penalized for playing a conference championship game", yet Georgia loses their championship game this year by 3 and goes from #1 to #6?

They leave out FSU this year because "FSU isn't one of the 4 best teams without Travis", but if that's the case then why did TCU and Cincy get in the last 2 years?

If were putting the 4 best teams in now, then why is Washington in over Georgia and OSU?

The TV networks made the call to ensure an SEC team gets in for ratings.

Can Texas really be called a football blue blood?
Yes

EWzjp2H.png

The ESPN narrative is so hypocritical.

Make every argument in the book for Bama and Georgia before the announcement.

Feigning being distraught for Florida St. after the announcement. Reese Davis nearly teared up I think
I didn’t hear anyone make much of an argument for Georgia. Can you give me some examples?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT