ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your FIVE greatest basketball players of all time?

I would put Zeke at #2 behind Magic in the point guard discussion. Maybe Zeke and Big O at 2A and 2B in no order.

Zeke won 2 titles right in the middle of the golden era. Hard to F with that.
John Stockton getting no love. Right up there among the great points. No rings hurts.

Reactions: ulrey
5 rings as the leader of one of the best teams in history.

Magic cannot be explained only by individual accolades or stats. He was an engine that made a team run like no other ever had or could. His impact was on the whole of the team including what the coaching staff could do with him on the floor. He was an automatic mismatch for anyone that guarded him.

That description may fit many players but it fits magic the most. With him on the squad the transition game became an automatic weapon. There's been good passers, good PGs etc. No one ran the transition game from the point better than he did. No one even comes close.

He had weakness, defense, shooting early in his career, but his overall impact on the Lakers can't be measured by his individual numbers but instead what the team did during that time. 5 rings, 9 finals in 13 seasons. Showtime .. and just so it's known. I fking hate the Lakers with a passion.

The lites really were light, almost like wearing just socks.
I remember being at the Hall and sitting under the basket when IU was hosting MSU when Magic was a freshman. I’ve never seen a player control his team’s offense the way he did. We couldn’t disrupt his dribble and he looked over the D to repeatedly deliver the rock inside in perfect position to Jay Vincent. Just poetry in motion on the court.

My reasoning why Magic is the second best player of all time is mainly no one could guard all five positions like he could. That right there IMHO stands him right behind MJ.
And without Magic there is no MJ. The NBA was just a dead product. My little brother went to school out in LA in the early 80's and I remember visiting him during the 80 finals and if you had a student ID you got into the Forum for $4. Place was still half empty. Nobody cared.

Reactions: birdforbogey
John Stockton getting no love. Right up there among the great points. No rings hurts.
Love Stockton, I actually had his purple jersey in high school. IMO, the best point gets blurry at #4-10.

Stockton
Iverson (pg?)
Kidd
Curry (pg?)
Nash
Cousy
Payton
Archibald

Probably a couple I’m forgetting. Plus I think some modern guys like Lillard, Irving, Westbrook could make a claim.

One thing I will say, the Derrick Rose mvp season was as good as it gets. It’s a shame he got hurt.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
And without Magic there is no MJ. The NBA was just a dead product. My little brother went to school out in LA in the early 80's and I remember visiting him during the 80 finals and if you had a student ID you got into the Forum for $4. Place was still half empty. Nobody cared.
Debatable. MJ could have had that effect if Magic/Bird didn’t happen.

Debatable. MJ could have had that effect if Magic/Bird didn’t happen.
Sure, he could have. But part of MJ's ability to globalize the game of basketball has everything to do with Magic/Bird increasing the popularity of the NBA tenfold and paving the way for MJ in such a short period of time.

Sure, he could have. But part of MJ's ability to globalize the game of basketball has everything to do with Magic/Bird increasing the popularity of the NBA tenfold and paving the way for MJ in such a short period of time.
Agreed. My point is that MJ wasn’t going unnoticed either way. I think he would have kicked it off if Bird/Magic didn’t happen. So, the golden era may have been pushed 5 or so years. Hypothetical……

If your list doesn't start with MJ and LeBron, you're an idiot. It's them followed by everyone else. Period.

(and there's a lot of idiots here)

Love Stockton, I actually had his purple jersey in high school. IMO, the best point gets blurry at #4-10.

Stockton
Iverson (pg?)
Kidd
Curry (pg?)
Nash
Cousy
Payton
Archibald

Probably a couple I’m forgetting. Plus I think some modern guys like Lillard, Irving, Westbrook could make a claim.

One thing I will say, the Derrick Rose mvp season was as good as it gets. It’s a shame he got hurt.
People always think Stockton think assist and also Stockton and Malone combo. But the steals thing as well. WOW

Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Isiah Thomas
Kevin Durant
Wilt Chamberlin

6th man - Kobe

There were still games being shown on tape delay in that series. Magic and Bird changed that BS. Had they not come along at the same time with that rivalry, who knows what would have happened with all the contracts being propped up with TV money.

1. Jordan
2. LeBron
3. Kareem
4. Wilt (I am somewhat torn on Wilt at this spot because he was such a beast but only won 2 championships which had a lot to do with the Celtics dynasty led by Russell and a cast of other terrific players. I would like to have watched Wilt and Russell square off)
5. Magic (I give the nod to Magic over Bird for this spot. I believe Bird was better during their respective primes but Magic won more titles 5-3.)
6. Larry Legend. He was a bad man.
7. Russell
8. Kobe
9. Duncan (the big fundamental). Who wouldn’t love to play with this selfless super star who is the best power forward of all time!)
10. Shaq (freak of nature with his size).

*. Kevin Durant. Amazing talent. I think he can and will crack the top 10 once it is all said and done. He has been a monster in the Olympics for the USA.

Agreed. My point is that MJ wasn’t going unnoticed either way. I think he would have kicked it off if Bird/Magic didn’t happen. So, the golden era may have been pushed 5 or so years. Hypothetical……
MJ obviously wasn't going to go unnoticed, but not sure he single handily changes the NBA dynamic. The Bulls were a nobody franchise that he obviously turned around, but I'm not sure anyone cares if it weren't for the Bird/Magic rivalry that completely revolutionized the NBA.

Have to remember that Nike was an underperforming company at the time they signed Jordan (Converse and Adidas being the big name brands) and really the only reason Nike lucked into Jordan was because Converse already had the two NBA superstars in Bird and Magic.

1. Jordan
2. LeBron
3. Kareem
4. Wilt (I am somewhat torn on Wilt at this spot because he was such a beast but only won 2 championships which had a lot to do with the Celtics dynasty led by Russell and a cast of other terrific players. I would like to have watched Wilt and Russell square off)
5. Magic (I give the nod to Magic over Bird for this spot. I believe Bird was better during their respective primes but Magic won more titles 5-3.)
7. Russell
8. Kobe
9. Duncan (the big fundamental). Who wouldn’t love to play with this selfless super star who is the best power forward of all time!)

*. Kevin Durant. Amazing talent. I think he can and will crack the top 10 once it is all said and done. He has been a monster in the Olympics for the USA.
Russell and Wilt are so hard to gauge simply because they played so far out of their era and were just monsters among men.

Reactions: MG80
Wilt, Kareem, and Michael, are the 3 locks.

Lebron maybe could have been the 4th lock, but he wanted to play guard more than he wanted to be the 4th lock.

that said, guard is a lot more fun..

1. Jordan
2. LeBron
3. Kareem
7. Russell
8. Kobe

everyone has opinions on all of this, and all of these guys individually...but I'm RIGHT THERE with you on Bird. He was a BAD man. And it's comical when he's interviewed now about his shrewdness during his playing years and he gives the calm 'ah shucks' responses. Like it's all made up, overblown, misunderstood, he was really a nice quiet guy. We all know the truth, Legend. Bird was scared of no man.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Top 15? Good lord never should have went down this rabbit hole.

Probably others were obviously better? What does that even mean? Look, I understand you're too young to have watched Magic play and thus don't understand that his game was much more than his 3 point % but you've absolutely lost your mind.

Magic and Larry saved the NBA. Dr. J and Big George McGinnis kept the ABA from folding were they worthy of top positions in Pro history?

For those of you not on the Wilt bandwagon, Wilt AVERAGED 50 points per game in 1961-1962. Wilt could do everything Russell could do plus score 20 more points and capture 10 more rebounds. Put Wilt on the Celtics (surrounded by Celtic talent) and put Russell on Philadelphia, SF, LA. Consider how many more rings Wilt would have and ask yourself if Russell would have any.

Did Shaquille, Hakim, Kareem, Nate or anybody else even average 40 for a season?

Reactions: Fansince72
For those of you not on the Wilt bandwagon, Wilt AVERAGED 50 points per game in 1961-1962. Wilt could do everything Russell could do plus score 20 more points and capture 10 more rebounds. Put Wilt on the Celtics (surrounded by Celtic talent) and put Russell on Philadelphia, SF, LA. Consider how many more rings Wilt would have and ask yourself if Russell would have any.

Did Shaquille, Hakim, Kareem, Nate or anybody else even average 40 for a season?
The simple answer to your silly question is no. None the players mentioned averaged 40 for a season.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Russell and Wilt are so hard to gauge simply because they played so far out of their era and were just monsters among men.
It’s reminiscent of the delta between the Big O and Jimmy Brown in their respective sports and the players they played with and against. They were physically so far superior in the eras they played in. Ditto with their skills. I wonder if we are looking at another skills paradigm with players like KD at his size and athleticism who can shoot and drive. The game’s getting scary.

It’s reminiscent of the delta between the Big O and Jimmy Brown in their respective sports and the players they played with and against. They were physically so far superior in the eras they played in. Ditto with their skills. I wonder if we are looking at another skills paradigm with players like KD at his size and athleticism who can shoot and drive. The game’s getting scary.
Bird and Jordan would have destroyed today’s NBA.

Guys who changed the way the game was played:

Wilt
Kareem
Dr. J
Magic
Maravich

Guys who played the game at the highest level:

Jordan
Lebron
Kobe
Bird
Oscar

I can’t get to just 5

Michael Jordan
Penny Hardaway
Oscar Robertson
Bracey Wright
Larry Bird

No particular order..

Thanks Doc...Oscar is always left off these lists and he was amazing.

Met him once when I was a kid @45 years ago...kind and gracious and engaging...and I was just a kid.
My best friend played college ball at Wilmington OH. In the summers, Oscar would show up occasionally and play pick up games with them. When he'd get a rebound and you didn't run, he'd kick you off the court. LOL

Stockton
Iverson (pg?)
Kidd
Curry (pg?)
Nash
Cousy
Payton
Archibald

I’m not a fan of this guy because there’s something about him that rubs me the wrong way and his commercials are terrible, plus he carries the ball like crazy… but I know a lot of fans and players would put Chris Paul high on your list.

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Bill Russell

6-10 is debatable but I like Kobe, LeBron, Big O, Isiah, and Bird.

God damn these lists are embarrassing 🤦‍♂️ Clearly a bunch of old white dudes who haven’t watched the NBA since 1998

If Kareem had been allowed to play as a freshman he would have four NCAA championships. And then he scored more points than anyone in the history of the game. That’s got to count for something. Six-time MVP. 19 All-Star games. 6 championships……

Best player ever.

God damn these lists are embarrassing 🤦‍♂️ Clearly a bunch of old white dudes who haven’t watched the NBA since 1998
The older you get the more players you've seen. LeBron is above average mentally but a lot of NBA players are better winners than him. He just happens to be a dominant physical force who was a manchild at 18.

Going into it deeper, I don't think LeBron was the leader on that first Miami championship team and that is almost inexcusable on a list like this. But his stats and consistency are in a very rarified air. Athletically he is unbelievable and has the full game.

Best shooter at each position.

1. Curry
2. Miller
3. Klay
4. Bird
5. Dirk

6th man Ray Allen.

Reactions: kkott
Best passer at each position.
1. Magic
2. Maravich
3. LaRoid