ADVERTISEMENT

Which Big Ten team will advance the farthest in the Big Dance

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

I am not sure if the Big Ten has a great team. I think that they are all about the same. I don't think any will make the Final 4 and maybe not even the Sweet 16, but it was fun to watch them battle each other where pretty much any team could beat any other team. Iowa has no defense. Illinois has no bench. Purdue is inconsistent and Ivy is a street baller. OSU fell apart and MSU has no offense and Wisconsin has no bench and it doesn't help that Johnny Davis is hurt. Nobody has four players you can trust. Maybe the Hoosiers will make a run, but to do that Koop, Galloway, Phinesse and Stewart need to all step up. I hope that happens. Galloway needs to also curb his enthusiasm. He almost tries too hard and his four big mistakes in the last three minutes against Iowa hurt a lot and no, I am not blaming him for Bohannon 's lucky shot but his errors gave Iowa the chance to get lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty The Baker
I think it has to be Purdue but I don’t think you’ll see any Big Ten teams in the Final Four. Pretty typical depth but weak at the top.
I like Iowa. We always said, if Fran's teams could ever play anything but matador defense, they might be something. They are improved in that area with the Murrays, and they possess the most valuable asset, excellent three point shooting.

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

I am not sure if the Big Ten has a great team. I think that they are all about the same. I don't think any will make the Final 4 and maybe not even the Sweet 16, but it was fun to watch them battle each other where pretty much any team could beat any other team. Iowa has no defense. Illinois has no bench. Purdue is inconsistent and Ivy is a street baller. OSU fell apart and MSU has no offense and Wisconsin has no bench and it doesn't help that Johnny Davis is hurt. Nobody has four players you can trust. Maybe the Hoosiers will make a run, but to do that Koop, Galloway, Phinesse and Stewart need to all step up. I hope that happens. Galloway needs to also curb his enthusiasm. He almost tries too hard and his four big mistakes in the last three minutes against Iowa hurt a lot and no, I am not blaming him for Bohannon 's lucky shot but his errors gave Iowa the chance to get lucky.
Part of it is who adjusts to the officiating well. We do ourselves no favors allowing this WWE/MLS environment.

Iowa is hot right now and can live off the 3 pt line and Illinois is the best team in the league IMO but they have a tough draw. Wisky has the ability, but they have faltered late. PU has the horses and a favorable draw, but they have to adjust to the officiating more than anyone else.

Ill and Iowa are my guesses...and little more than that.

• Haha
Reactions: Simply wow
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Still think it's IL to me. The best balance and veteran leadership.

Purdue has weak PG play and shaky defense.
Iowa is hot...but all it takes is one off-nite from Murray and that's that.
Wiscy - luck won't carry u through this bracket. I don't think Davis is 100% healed either.
MSU OSU UM and RU haven't been great lately. Be surprised if any of them make it through this weekend.

ILL has strong experienced guards and a beast in the middle. If Frazier can get hot and Kofi stay out of foul trouble, my money's on them.

IU has their work cut out for them just to get into this weekend. I think they can take the first 2 but UCLA will be tough.

Would not bet a dollar that any B1G team sees the F4 this year.

when they have struggled, Cockburn has been limited (out completely or in foul trouble) or they went cold from 3.

Very possible Illinois loses early for those reasons, but are the best positioned in conference for a deep run if they can avoid those things from happening

Yea, maybe this year in a close game Underwood will go to his guards instead of trying to pound it in to Kofi in late game like he did last year when losing to Loyola ..

If only he had Ayo ...

Reactions: kkott
To me, Ivey is a great player but his small stature makes him shy away from playing defense and he just never seems to me to be a team player but instead is a human highlight reel. But of course, I would want him on my team.

I think it has to be Purdue but I don’t think you’ll see any Big Ten teams in the Final Four. Pretty typical depth but weak at the top.
Not sure, I think it would be PU too. Think Kenny Anderson, God Shammgod, Ivey has the ability to do about anything he wants and if he does go off, gulp, they win it. They have the guns and the bench to do it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT