ADVERTISEMENT

Where you asshats traveling to this summer? I’ll decide later who has the best trip planned.

All warm and humid places. Why not warm and drier climates?

Why not the Mediterranean? Istanbul?
It isn't that I travel the world all the time, but I have grown to hate long plane trips. There are places I want to see. I want to go to the village in Switzerland my family left in 1743. I want to tour the Holy Land. My daughter and her new husband leave in a few weeks for Tahiti. I have flashbacks to my trips to China.

There are places in the US I haven't visited. Our friends just got back from an Alaskan cruise. I took that off my list of places I want to go. Daylight at midnight and wearing coats in June aren't ways I want to spend a summer vacation. Our friends said it is pretty, but so is Colorado and much warmer.

Alaska in August is amazing. I didn't do the cruise thing though, not so much into that. Flew into Anchorage, rented a car, drove to Denali, hiked on a glacier, great hikes. wildlife. Went back south and saw Kenai Fjords. Awesome trip. 65 degree weather, except at elevation, where it was 50s.

I'll be going to Steamboat Springs for a week during the 4th of July. Previously I was in Charlottesville and then just got back from Pittsburgh for a wedding. My trip has nothing on all of the exotic locations listed here, but it'll be nice to get away for a bit and relax.

About to close in on a house in Penang, Malaysia and maybe leaving Singapore for good. Looking at the docs now.

Location-of-Penang-in-Southeast-Asia-map-e1516932012704.png

Not sure I can afford to have any vacation for a while. I will be there by Q1 next year if things go according to plan ... with renovations etc there might be delays.

There will be lots of Thai islands nearby or places of interests to visit once I settle in -- it sits in a triangle between Southern Thailand, Northern Indonesia (across the Straits of Malacca) and Northern Malaysia.

Ground floor

2nd Floor

Top Floor

So it will be rice & eggs with a dash of soya sauce for me for the foreseeable future.

It will be a bitch of a flight for my siblings to visit me from either West Coast or NYC. (Don't think there are direct flights nor the frequencies -- will take a few additional hops (as opposed direct flights when visiting me in Singapore.) Feck it, I am worth it.
Penang is a nice area.

It isn't that I travel the world all the time, but I have grown to hate long plane trips. There are places I want to see. I want to go to the village in Switzerland my family left in 1743. I want to tour the Holy Land. My daughter and her new husband leave in a few weeks for Tahiti. I have flashbacks to my trips to China.

There are places in the US I haven't visited. Our friends just got back from an Alaskan cruise. I took that off my list of places I want to go. Daylight at midnight and wearing coats in June aren't ways I want to spend a summer vacation. Our friends said it is pretty, but so is Colorado and much warmer.

I have grown to hate long trips too. That's why I don't go back to the States anymore -- not since 2002. Anything beyond 13-14hrs just does my head in. I get cabin fever once it gets past that ... by 18+ hours I can almost scream.

Plus I hate the jet lag. 12-14hrs time diff is no fun to recover from. Takes a week to adjust. Then you are ok for a week before you need to leave. WTF.

Last edited:
Penang is a nice area.

Yah. I like it. It has that modern and yet old colonial feel to it.

Plus the food is great. So I will either be lucky and live long as a blimp on two legs or die early from a heart attack. Has the Malays, Chinese, Thai influence going on in the flavours for some dishes.

From a travel perspective, I think it might be an interesting area to discover. The Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia triangle.

I'm still on the "budget" vacation plan, recovering from divorce & w/ 2 kids in college, so: 1) maybe trip back to IN to see friends/family over the 4th, 2) free all inclusive trip to Dominican Republic in mid August, won through work. Hoping I can scuba, but not sure if I'll have recovered sufficiently from some ankle surgery. 3) Probably try and plan a trip to the Keys (Big Pine) with a buddy for some fishing and diving in October.
I'm going to Indiana twice, once in July and then in September. When I have vacations I always go to Indiana because my father is still alive. I get four weeks a year so my family sees him four times. After he is gone and if I am still in PA we plan on visiting a lot of sights in the state.

Reactions: sglowrider
I have grown to hate long trips too. That's why I don't go back to the States anymore -- not since 2002. Anything beyond 13-14hrs just does my head in. I get cabin fever once it gets past that ... by 18+ hours I can almost scream.
Plus I hate the jet lag. 12-14hrs time diff is no fun to recover from. Takes a week to adjust. Then you are ok for a week before you need to leave. WTF.
I am really lucky that I rarely have jet leg. Last year I flew home from Australia and immediately had to drive north for a wedding weekend. Thought I’d be a mess, but I was fine. I’m also kind of weird in that I like long flights. I love watching lots of movies, reading and napping. The worst part is I use it for an excuse to eat all kinds of junk foods. My biggest problem is my eyes always hurt and I’d give my life for a shower by the time I get there.

I'm going to Indiana twice, once in July and then in September. When I have vacations I always go to Indiana because my father is still alive. I get four weeks a year so my family sees him four times. After he is gone and if I am still in PA we plan on visiting a lot of sights in the state.

You are lucky like my mum in the jet lag sense or the lack of. She would fly from S'pore to NYC and then be out at 8am walking around the Riverside neighbourhood, buying papers/fruits, saying hello to the shop keepers within a few hours of touching down.

Meanwhile, I would have been like Batman -- doing the upside down thing when the day is night and night is day with that 12-13hrs time diff. I hate it. That's one major reason why I dont go back.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
Who made you the boss?

I'm setting up camp inside your wife. I win. And as you said, I won absolutely nothing.

Too harsh?
That’s so cute how you added “too harsh?” at the end. You really are a pussy and you basically broke an AOTF rule of apologizing. You know better, get your head out of your ass.

Too harsh?

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
That’s so cute how you added “too harsh?” at the end. You really are a pussy and you basically broke an AOTF rule of apologizing. You know better, get your head out of your ass.

Too harsh?
AOTF rules? What are they? I know OTF rules, but this ain't that...

In any event, I was leery of adding even more sand to your bleeding vag, so I went easy on you.

Danang at the end of August.

If I like it, I'm staying. If not, I'll try 2nd tier cities in Thailand or Cambodia.

Hot & humid.

Spent last summer in Phnom Penh, so I'm aware how effing hot it can get. 2017 in BKK was a sweatbox as well.

I'll still take it over Indiana winters.

I guess I could always go to Dalat or northern Vietnam if it gets to be too much?

Spent last summer in Phnom Penh, so I'm aware how effing hot it can get. 2017 in BKK was a sweatbox as well.

I guess I could always go to Dalat or northern Vietnam if it gets to be too much?

Funny... a friend just came back from Dalat. Loved it.

Have you been to Chiang Rai?

Funny... a friend just came back from Dalat. Loved it.

Have you been to Chiang Rai?

Researched it, but I've got pins everywhere. Heard it was nice. I thought about Udon Thani, but I'm not too old and heard it's more of a senior crowd.

Got Laos on my mind too, but don't think I'll cure my yellow fever there. More for the nature there.

Bottom line, gotta have good internet.

I’m not a fan of hot & humid vag

Researched it, but I've got pins everywhere. Heard it was nice. I thought about Udon Thani, but I'm not too old and heard it's more of a senior crowd.

Got Laos on my mind too, but don't think I'll cure my yellow fever there. More for the nature there.

Bottom line, gotta have good internet.

Full Moon parties in Thailand?

http://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/schedules.html

Koh Phan Ngan:
https://homeiswhereyourbagis.com/en/full-moon-party-koh-phangan-dates-information/
ang-thong-national-marine-park-L.jpg

Reactions: reabhnt

You been? Any reports?

I could go in December, since my Visa will expire in Vietnam around then.

Wouldn't it mostly be gaming tourists? Nothing wrong with that, just looking more for a rotation of local ladies. It's harder for scammers to try me if I have a local on my arm. I get tired of the nickel and diming, even if everything is dirt cheap.

Would rolling solo there be alright? Seems like maybe having a crew would be more beneficial. I guess it doesn't really matter. I've got a little game and don't mind approaching girls.

You been? Any reports?

I could go in December, since my Visa will expire in Vietnam around then.

Wouldn't it mostly be gaming tourists? Nothing wrong with that, just looking more for a rotation of local ladies. It's harder for scammers to try me if I have a local on my arm. I get tired of the nickel and diming, even if everything is dirt cheap.

Would rolling solo there be alright? Seems like maybe having a crew would be more beneficial. I guess it doesn't really matter. I've got a little game and don't mind approaching girls.

Not been myself but I know folks who have. They all seemed to have enjoyed themselves but may not be the sort of thing to do every year.

I wouldn't be too far from there by early next year if things go according to plan.

Drive & Ferry.

Ash trees?
1 yes - the other has a Y split that I had cabled 10 yrs ago...and its becoming too worrisome watching it move during strong winds. Unfortunately my deck was built around it...so will be a bear to try to stump it...may end up putting a tabletop on it.

WTF??? I thought that was the whole point? The hotter and more humid, the better! Squirt on me baby!

Seriously? I have had three squirters in my life. I was told a doctor friend, (funnily enough at golf) that they are not that common but it seems to be following me.
With one, we would have to stop in mid-pump so that she can put a towel underneath on her bed (I wasn't ever going to do it on my bed plus she was filthy rich -- owned over 400+ pairs of shoes at last count. So always her bed!!) She was a gusher.
Another would be in my face whilst eating her -- I figured out a way to avoid drinking it. And the third/final one would gush at a certain position if finger penetrate her.

All of them don't smell great when they squirt or gush in some cases. More pee than anything else. Yuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott and cryano
Already took my big trip to Croatia. Highly recommend. An especially cool part of trip was watching the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones on a big screen tv outside a bar in Kings Landing ( Dubrovnik).

Anyone else on here watch Rick Steves European travel show on PBS? Always a good watch. I remember the episode when he was in Croatia as a really good one and he visited Dubrovnik.
I watch some and always get his guide books. I have to rewatch that one.

Reactions: kkott
Luang Prabang in Laos? Quite the trendy place for hipsters nowadays.

Now you're talking. I like the nature and culture aspects Luang Prabang appears to have in place.

Bangkok, Saigon, Manilla, those don't appeal to me anymore. I'm really interested in the second and third tier cities in SEA. Then again, I don't want to live in some village gaming peasant girls either.

Laos is still a bit untapped and the grit of the country is intriguing. I think that's why Cambodia was such a great experience. It was like going back in time.

Reactions: reabhnt
Now you're talking. I like the nature and culture aspects Luang Prabang appears to have in place.

Bangkok, Saigon, Manilla, those don't appeal to me anymore. I'm really interested in the second and third tier cities in SEA. Then again, I don't want to live in some village gaming peasant girls either.

Laos is still a bit untapped and the grit of the country is intriguing. I think that's why Cambodia was such a great experience. It was like going back in time.

China -- Kunming, Lijiang

Myanmar -- Yangoon;
Off the beaten trek, Tachileik by the Golden Triangle.

I'm going to Portugal in early July. 2 nights in Lisbon, then taking train to Porto. Taking a 7 night river cruise from Porto going up the Douro River that will hit various little towns. Then back to Porto and staying extra night there. Wish it was basketball season because then I could stalk Sheehey. I doubt he's staying over there during the summer, though.

I know about feeling like you want to scream. It would be impossible to fly that far without movies and entertainment in the back of the seats.

I never had any trouble with jet lag going to China. I struggled coming back. I was distressed on one trip because I stopped in Tokyo. I realized I would experience 3:00 p.m. in Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Detroit. For some reason that bothered me.

A co worker in Europe used our company 5 year anniversary award to fly around the world. He started in Imola, Italy - London - NY - LA - Hawaii - Japan - China - India - Italy. Crazy!

I'm going to Portugal in early July. 2 nights in Lisbon, then taking train to Porto. Taking a 7 night river cruise from Porto going up the Douro River that will hit various little towns. Then back to Porto and staying extra night there. Wish it was basketball season because then I could stalk Sheehey. I doubt he's staying over there during the summer, though.
I never would have considered traveling to Portugal, but I recently had a good friend tell me they had a great trip there. Maybe you're ahead of the curve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT