ADVERTISEMENT

Where you asshats traveling to this summer? I’ll decide later who has the best trip planned.

About to close in on a house in Penang, Malaysia and maybe leaving Singapore for good. Looking at the docs now.

Location-of-Penang-in-Southeast-Asia-map-e1516932012704.png

Not sure I can afford to have any vacation for a while. I will be there by Q1 next year if things go according to plan ... with renovations etc there might be delays.

There will be lots of Thai islands nearby or places of interests to visit once I settle in -- it sits in a triangle between Southern Thailand, Northern Indonesia (across the Straits of Malacca) and Northern Malaysia.

Ground floor

2nd Floor

Top Floor

At the bottom of the hill
batu-ferringhi-beach.jpg

So it will be rice & eggs with a dash of soya sauce for me for the foreseeable future.

It will be a bitch of a flight for my siblings to visit me from either West Coast or NYC. (Don't think there are direct flights nor the frequencies -- will take a few additional hops (as opposed direct flights when visiting me in Singapore.) Feck it, I am worth it.

Last edited:
I'm still on the "budget" vacation plan, recovering from divorce & w/ 2 kids in college, so: 1) maybe trip back to IN to see friends/family over the 4th, 2) free all inclusive trip to Dominican Republic in mid August, won through work. Hoping I can scuba, but not sure if I'll have recovered sufficiently from some ankle surgery. 3) Probably try and plan a trip to the Keys (Big Pine) with a buddy for some fishing and diving in October.

Reactions: sglowrider
A week with no cell coverage in the Sylvania Wilderness Area for me and Mrs. hookyIU1990 later in the year. Trying to decide if we should spend the money to go see Ani DiFranco at The Rocky Mountain Folks Festival in August.

Reactions: kkott
A week with no cell coverage in the Sylvania Wilderness Area for me and Mrs. hookyIU1990 later in the year. Trying to decide if we should spend the money to go see Ani DiFranco at The Rocky Mountain Folks Festival in August.

nervous.gif
nervous.gif

Wow!! No coverage? Wifi at least?

Now, that's brave!! You are made of stronger stuff than me! I would have a nervous breakdown after a day or two and therapy if any longer.

nervous.gif
nervous.gif

Wow!! No coverage? Wifi at least?

Now, that's brave!! You are made of stronger stuff than me! I would have a nervous breakdown after a day or two and therapy if any longer.
It's actually quite refreshing and liberating. I do a back country trip like this at least once a year. Everyone should give it a whirl sometime.

Reactions: All4You
Nova Scotia. Fly into Halifax, rent a car, then for 10 days go down the coast clockwise, hitting as many national parks, lighthouses, fishing villages, beachfront hotels/ condos, and seafood meccas as possible.

It's actually quite refreshing and liberating. I do a back country trip like this at least once a year. Everyone should give it a whirl sometime.

I was on a vacation with the ex-wife in the hills of Tuscany for nearly a month. Was so quiet that it freaked me out. Italy imo is the Africa of Europe when it comes to infrastructure!

It also might explain the ex part of the equation.

I was on a vacation with the ex-wife in the hills of Tuscany for nearly a month. Was so quiet that it freaked me out. Italy imo is the Africa of Europe when it comes to infrastructure!

It also might explain the ex part of the equation.
Not the same as a back country wilderness trip, but I get what you're saying.

Not the same as a back country wilderness trip, but I get what you're saying.

Its pretty backcountry if you define it as lots of greenery, bare has infrastructure like serviceable roads, lots of old remnants of farmhouses laying around etc. And they speak foreign.
;)

Asheville, NC with the family. We've never been but have heard good things. We were pretty happy to hear about kid-friendly breweries. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your prize = abso****inglutely nothing
Going somewhere in September after a few business trips. We haven't decided where. I am interested in ideas.

We thought about Belize. Our summer guest staying with us is spending 4 weeks in Belize before coming for an 8 week clinical here. We should learn i we want to go there.

We have thought about Sanibel Island. We like Sarasota/Lido Beach but want to go somewhere different. We know what we like there and would have a great time.I have proposed Catalina Island. We have made day trips their, but never stayed overnight. I am thinking about traveling without renting a car and relying totally on shuttles and Uber instead of renting a car. Has anyone else done this? Will I end up renting one because I get tired of Uber?

My work will be providing $3,500 to be used towards my vacation as part of my 5 year work anniversary.

Asheville, NC with the family. We've never been but have heard good things. We were pretty happy to hear about kid-friendly breweries. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How old are the kids and are they boys or girls? My kids absolutely loved visiting the Biltmore. I have three girls and they were all in Elementary school at the time. They have a kids tour headset as told by the Vanderbilt’s family dog.

As for breweries, I don’t remember the name of the one we went to but it is known as a beer town. Not sure you can go but there is a cool club called the Orange Peel.

Have fun!

Reactions: Bredo and kkott
Finishing up Atlanta, Montgomery, Mobile, Pensacola and will be driving back to south texas with a likely stop(s) in Biloxi and/or Lake Charles. Later this summer heading to Santa Fe and Colorado Springs.

Always wanted to hit Santa Fe. Check out Garden of the Gods while in Colorado Springs.

Already took my big trip to Croatia. Highly recommend. An especially cool part of trip was watching the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones on a big screen tv outside a bar in Kings Landing ( Dubrovnik).

Already took my big trip to Croatia. Highly recommend. An especially cool part of trip was watching the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones on a big screen tv outside a bar in Kings Landing ( Dubrovnik).
Also a short trip to NYC to see a couple plays and a couple stints at lake place in Michigan.

Going somewhere in September after a few business trips. We haven't decided where. I am interested in ideas.

We thought about Belize. Our summer guest staying with us is spending 4 weeks in Belize before coming for an 8 week clinical here. We should learn i we want to go there.

We have thought about Sanibel Island. We like Sarasota/Lido Beach but want to go somewhere different. We know what we like there and would have a great time.I have proposed Catalina Island. We have made day trips their, but never stayed overnight. I am thinking about traveling without renting a car and relying totally on shuttles and Uber instead of renting a car. Has anyone else done this? Will I end up renting one because I get tired of Uber?

My work will be providing $3,500 to be used towards my vacation as part of my 5 year work anniversary.

All warm and humid places. Why not warm and drier climates?

Why not the Mediterranean? Istanbul?

Lucky you!! My sister and a few friends went there and loved Croatia. Though they seem to all send photos at the same places. Some bridge when has since been rebuilt since the war.

I had to stop making big trips in the past few years because I have aging cats. Had to subq my fav cat, twice a day for like 2-3yrs which lengthen out his life longer than expected considering his failing kidneys. He died a year or so ago.
Now they have since out with an oral drug (Semintra) which has helped the remaining elderly cat I have substantially. Easier for myself and any of my cat sitters.

But unfortunately, now I am broke from having the set aside $$ for my place/expected renovations up in Penang. The conveyancing lawyer has just started the process yesterday.

Plus my last startup sucked away large amounts of my cash. Oh well, you win some but you lose mostly!

So now I can only read about places others have traveled to with jealousy and envy, like here. :(

But my sisters are the worst; they are in Europe or Asia every summer. (One's biking in France this summer.)

The consolation is, I think my potential future 'trips' will be either road trips (up into Southern Thailand like Krabi or even Koh Samui) or ferry trips (into Langkawi or Phuket/Phi-Phi). I am only an hour's drive (max) from southern Thailand.
Looking into getting a Subaru 4x4 after I move up. From having a rapid fun car here in S'pore to an old man/dad's 4x4 SUV, without having any kids/only cats is silly but necessary I think for any road trips there.

There may also be ferries into Northern Indonesia like Aceh from Penang.

My sister was asking about whether there are ferries into Myanmar from Penang. That would be one hellish ride across the Andaman Sea if such ferry trip existed. 18hrs?

Anyway... sadly this is my future! (If the paperwork goes according to plan.)

Lucky you!! My sister and a few friends went there and loved Croatia. Though they seem to all send photos at the same places. Some bridge when has since been rebuilt since the war.

I had to stop making big trips in the past few years because I have aging cats. Had to subq my fav cat, twice a day for like 2-3yrs which lengthen out his life longer than expected considering his failing kidneys. He died a year or so ago.
Now they have since out with an oral drug (Semintra) which has helped the remaining elderly cat I have substantially. Easier for myself and any of my cat sitters.

But unfortunately, now I am broke from having the set aside $$ for my place/expected renovations up in Penang. The conveyancing lawyer has just started the process yesterday.

Plus my last startup sucked away large amounts of my cash. Oh well, you win some but you lose mostly!

So now I can only read about places others have traveled to with jealousy and envy, like here. :(

But my sisters are the worst; they are in Europe or Asia every summer. (One's biking in France this summer.)

The consolation is, I think my potential future 'trips' will be either road trips (up into Southern Thailand like Krabi or even Koh Samui) or ferry trips (into Langkawi or Phuket/Phi-Phi). I am only an hour's drive (max) from southern Thailand.
Looking into getting a Subaru 4x4 after I move up. From having a rapid fun car here in S'pore to an old man/dad's 4x4 SUV, without having any kids/only cats is silly but necessary I think for any road trips there.

There may also be ferries into Northern Indonesia like Aceh from Penang.

My sister was asking about whether there are ferries into Myanmar from Penang. That would be one hellish ride across the Andaman Sea if such ferry trip existed. 18hrs?

Anyway... sadly this is my future! (If the paperwork goes according to plan.)
I don’t feel too sorry for you, since you’ll basically live in a gorgeous vacation spot. I don’t get seasick often but ferries do it to me generally. I took a pretty long one in Greece once and puked for about 6 hours. No way I could do an 18 hour one.

Reactions: sglowrider
I don’t feel too sorry for you, since you’ll basically live in a gorgeous vacation spot. I don’t get seasick often but ferries do it to me generally. I took a pretty long one in Greece once and puked for about 6 hours. No way I could do an 18 hour one.

I spent a month in the southern Greek island when I was at IU during the summer break. Crete, Patmos, Mykonos, Santorini etc, hopping island to island via ferries.

Some of the ferries ... you could smell the exhaust fumes seeping into the 'cabins'. Felt nauseous for the 12hrs journey -- only to be made to feel worse when I met an elderly Belgium couple, in their early to mid-70s who were chirpy and energetic ... unlike whinging me for 11 hours.

Anyone else on here watch Rick Steves European travel show on PBS? Always a good watch. I remember the episode when he was in Croatia as a really good one and he visited Dubrovnik.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT