ADVERTISEMENT

Where you asshats traveling to this summer? I’ll decide later who has the best trip planned.

I never would have considered traveling to Portugal, but I recently had a good friend tell me they had a great trip there. Maybe you're ahead of the curve.
Same here. Only doing it because friends already planned everything and I was too lazy to come up with something on my own. But since I booked, everyone who has been there tells me it’s absolutely fantastic. So now I’m psyched!

Reactions: Eppy99
I'm going to Portugal in early July. 2 nights in Lisbon, then taking train to Porto. Taking a 7 night river cruise from Porto going up the Douro River that will hit various little towns. Then back to Porto and staying extra night there. Wish it was basketball season because then I could stalk Sheehey. I doubt he's staying over there during the summer, though.

Ok CapH, the following is based on a two weeks trip like 12-14yrs ago; so things may have changed a bit but I doubt it much since its Europe and things don't change by much over a decade.

Lisboa is very very pretty a city. Probably the most walkable city in Europe -- you can walk for miles to get to places but there are trams and subways. But nevertheless, get good proper supportive, spongey shoes as the pavements are all cobbled. My bloody feet hurt after a few days of walking.

Muesuems are pretty good -- they have a long history -- from the colonies to major impact on the world with their famous explorers.

Go find some fado bars. Beautiful music -- the folksy blues of Portugal. Sultry, sad and gritty all in the voice.

Personally, I thought local Portuguese food esp seafood sucks. Very salty imo. They claimed that its based on the tears of all the women who cried as their sailor husbands left Portugal for the new lands/colonies. Yah right! Maybe my palate has changed since I left the States but I found it unbearably salty.
I got into an argument with a Portuguese fella here in Singapore -- and was about to get punched when I gave this similar opinion at a party. I still stand by it.

The Portuguese tarts (desserts) are delicious though. There is a famous Portuguese Tart store, Pasteis de Belem. Been around since 1830s and its all made fresh.

casa-pasteis-de-belem.jpg

photo0jpg.jpg

You have to catch a tram to Belem, a coastal suburb. But if you couldn't be bothered to deal with the queue of tourists at this store in Belem, there are other stores.

Brazilian food there is much better esp the grilled chicken. (There are billions of Brazilians there -- having said that there are billions of Brazilians in London too.)

The views of the city from the castles are pretty stunning. When I was there, the oranges were in full bloom/harvest all along the sides of the castle. Gorgeous bridges too.

71MnnOKoWHL._SX700_.jpg

lisbon-castle-view.jpg

Porto
Beautiful along the river. Not as walkable as Lisboa. Good, you are taking the river trip.

Hotels+with+a+View+in+Porto.jpg

Btw if you dont like port its only because you have not learnt the history and taste tested them. I thought they were old man's drink, but the range of port that's out there -- from aperitif to dessert ports and a few in-between. Very sophisticated flavours and sensations. Much more so than wine. I bought a couple of bottles of 70 or 80yrs old port at one of the vineyards. Most have their port tasting facilities along the river in the photo above.

If you are feeling homesick, you can always have a burger but make sure you go to the McDonald's in Porto -- its the most beautiful McDonalds in the world. I am being serious here. Maybe not so much about being homesick but you have to see the McDees.

5b7ca542dcee305a298b479f-750-563.jpg

Weekend-in-Budapest-McDonalds-Nyugat.jpg

(These are more recent photos -- but when I was there, they had chandeliers for lighting at feckin' McDonalds!!))

I just woke up so these are just my thoughts of Lisbon from 14yrs ago and so a tad hazy. I am sure I am missing a few other details.

Last edited:
I'm going to Portugal in early July. 2 nights in Lisbon, then taking train to Porto. Taking a 7 night river cruise from Porto going up the Douro River that will hit various little towns. Then back to Porto and staying extra night there. Wish it was basketball season because then I could stalk Sheehey. I doubt he's staying over there during the summer, though.
I never would have considered traveling to Portugal, but I recently had a good friend tell me they had a great trip there. Maybe you're ahead of the curve.
Portugal is gorgeous! I was just there for a day on a whirlwind Europe tour and been wanting to go back ever since. May be next summer’s trip. Some of the girls want me to go to Israel with them though, so might be that.

China -- Kunming, Lijiang

Myanmar -- Yangoon;
Off the beaten trek, Tachileik by the Golden Triangle.

Kunming has been on my radar.

Myanmar would be a box to check for sure.

Are you in Malaysia? Penang? Thoughts on the country?

KL is cheap to fly to, but again, I compare it to Saigon, Manilla, and BKK

Kunming has been on my radar.

Myanmar would be a box to check for sure.

Are you in Malaysia? Penang? Thoughts on the country?

KL is cheap to fly to, but again, I compare it to Saigon, Manilla, and BKK

I am in Singapore at the moment but I am in the start of the legal paperwork for getting a place in Penang. Won't be there will Q1 2020.

I am not a big fan of KL. Traffic jams everywhere -- the food though is excellent. Plus it's cheap & cheerful.

I had been to Penang a few times, really liked it so I decided to get a place there. Has that old British colonial feel to it -- like an old Singapore, decades ago. The city centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site -- old colonial buildings preserved to temples, mosques etc.

6a00e551a540298834011168a8d19b970c-pi

peranakan.jpg

george-town24.jpeg

george-town5.jpeg
As an island its quite interesting -- not many islands that have cloud covered mountain with beaches nearby. (Maui is another.)
depositphotos_114361270-stock-photo-sunrise-above-cloud-view-from.jpg

My original choice would have been Bali -- like in the Ubud area. Love the area. But had gradually got too expensive in the past ten years or so.

But Penang offers me a fairly strategic location -- a triangle between Northern Malaysia, Southern Thailand and Northern Indonesia. Once I settle in, I will probably do road trips to southern Thailand and if I am ambitious enough, up to Krabi but I will need cat sitters for that road trip. (I have a couple of elderly cats at home that needs care.) Langkawi is an easy nearby drive/ferry but its a bit boring a place.

Malaysia as a country is lovely. Lots of natural stuff to see & do. Most folks forget the Borneo part of Malaysia -- Sabah and Sarawak. I was there a few times a couple of years ago. From scuba diving to caving to mountain climbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: brebelle3
Looking like Maui for me in September. My kid is working out there this year so I'm thinking I'll go out and crash on his couch for a week or so. He's working at and has a great apartment overlooking a valley and the ocean in a very secluded little village on the NW side, north of Lahaina.

I am in Singapore at the moment but I am in the start of the legal paperwork for getting a place in Penang. Won't be there will Q1 2020.

I am not a big fan of KL. Traffic jams everywhere -- the food though is excellent. Plus it's cheap & cheerful.

I had been to Penang a few times, really liked it so I decided to get a place there. Has that old British colonial feel to it -- like an old Singapore, decades ago. The city centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site -- old colonial buildings preserved to temples, mosques etc.

6a00e551a540298834011168a8d19b970c-pi

peranakan.jpg

george-town24.jpeg

george-town5.jpeg
As an island its quite interesting -- not many islands that have cloud covered mountain with beaches nearby. (Maui is another.)
depositphotos_114361270-stock-photo-sunrise-above-cloud-view-from.jpg

My original choice would have been Bali -- like in the Ubud area. Love the area. But had gradually got too expensive in the past ten years or so.

But Penang offers me a fairly strategic location -- a triangle between Northern Malaysia, Southern Thailand and Northern Indonesia. Once I settle in, I will probably do road trips to southern Thailand and if I am ambitious enough, up to Krabi but I will need cat sitters for that road trip. (I have a couple of elderly cats at home that needs care.) Langkawi is an easy nearby drive/ferry but its a bit boring a place.

Malaysia as a country is lovely. Lots of natural stuff to see & do. Most folks forget the Borneo part of Malaysia -- Sabah and Sarawak. I was there a few times a couple of years ago. From scuba diving to caving to mountain climbing.
I really like Georgetown and the surrounding area. A lot of things to do! Within distance of a bus ride or motorbike ride.

That sounds like an Asian genital infection.
nervous.gif
nervous.gif

I was referring to one of the hills behind the hotels:

Shangri-La
QYQFl5pomeTNaEgRBEAyS8flufN0AuD1oSILr3b4.jpeg

classics_gallery_image

Doubletree:
131458620.jpg

I can't afford to live on the beach. Its just a few hundred metres away from the beach, on a slope but I still have the view of the neighbouring islands from every floor of the house; as long as all the T&Cs of the legal work works out in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
nervous.gif
nervous.gif

I was referring to one of the hills behind the hotels:

Shangri-La
QYQFl5pomeTNaEgRBEAyS8flufN0AuD1oSILr3b4.jpeg

classics_gallery_image

Doubletree:
131458620.jpg

I can't afford to live on the beach but its just a few hundred metres down the slope but I have the view of the neighbouring islands from every floor of the house; as long as all the T&Cs of the legal work works out in the next few weeks.
OMG! That’s disgusting.

Looking like Maui for me in September. My kid is working out there this year so I'm thinking I'll go out and crash on his couch for a week or so. He's working at and has a great apartment overlooking a valley and the ocean in a very secluded little village on the NW side, north of Lahaina.
He’ll probably know them all but if you need food recommendations when time comes check back. I go to Maui every year.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
He’ll probably know them all but if you need food recommendations when time comes check back. I go to Maui every year.
Feel free to suggest! We always hit up Da Kitchen, Aloha Mixed Plate, Paia Fish Market, Flatbread Company, Komoda Store & Bakery upcountry on your way to, or back from, Haleakala. And a trip out there is not complete without grabbing a Bento Box with Spam and mac salad for breakfast at the 7-11 in Wailuku.

He used to be Chef at Cafe Marc Arurel in Waliuku and that was an awesome little wine bar/bistro. It's since closed down since he left there several years ago to come to the mainland. But the lure of the islands pulled him back for this Chef consulting gig he's on now.

Last edited:
Now that my trip is coming up this week I figured it was time to chime in. My three girls, the doctor wife and I are headed to the Pacific Northwest. Lately we’ve been picking western destinations that provide great weather and beautiful nature. This year is no exception.

Friday we fly into Seattle and will check out the city for a short 1.5 days. We’ll spend a chunk of time at Pikes Place Market sampling the food, etc. Then we drive to Anacortes and catch a ferry to San Juan Island. We’re staying at a Airbnb for 3 nights and will do some sea kayaking, whale watching, bike riding, and cooking fresh fish and seafood each day. Then we’re taking a ferry to Victoria Island, Vancouver. Girls are wanting to see Butchart Gardens and have High Tea. Supposed to be a great place to visit. After a couple days we’re heading back to ‘Merica to the Olympic Peninsula for 4 days to explore some cool parks filled with amazing hikes and waterfalls. Temperatures should be hovering around the upper 60’s/low 70’s. Supposed to be the best time of year to visit.

I’m totally stoked for this trip as I’ve always wanted to hang out in the San Juan Islands, see the orcas and wildlife and check out the rainforest of the PNW.

Happy 4th friends, long live Merica.

I win. Out

Now that my trip is coming up this week I figured it was time to chime in. My three girls, the doctor wife and I are headed to the Pacific Northwest. Lately we’ve been picking western destinations that provide great weather and beautiful nature. This year is no exception.

Friday we fly into Seattle and will check out the city for a short 1.5 days. We’ll spend a chunk of time at Pikes Place Market sampling the food, etc. Then we drive to Anacortes and catch a ferry to San Juan Island. We’re staying at a Airbnb for 3 nights and will do some sea kayaking, whale watching, bike riding, and cooking fresh fish and seafood each day. Then we’re taking a ferry to Victoria Island, Vancouver. Girls are wanting to see Butchart Gardens and have High Tea. Supposed to be a great place to visit. After a couple days we’re heading back to ‘Merica to the Olympic Peninsula for 4 days to explore some cool parks filled with amazing hikes and waterfalls. Temperatures should be hovering around the upper 60’s/low 70’s. Supposed to be the best time of year to visit.

I’m totally stoked for this trip as I’ve always wanted to hang out in the San Juan Islands, see the orcas and wildlife and check out the rainforest of the PNW.

Happy 4th friends, long live Merica.

I win. Out

My sister lives in Bellingham WA, and that whole area is fun to visit. Enjoy it!

Reactions: Eppy99
My sister lives in Bellingham WA, and that whole area is fun to visit. Enjoy it!

Oh yeah, and as I'm sure you probably know, rec weed is legal now in WA state, so you can plan in a visit to a dispensary while there, which is also enlightening if it's not legal where you are.

Last edited:
Heading out to Santa Fe/Colorado Springs in a week. Looking forward to getting out of this ridiculous south Texas heat.

The tightness and kindness of the OTF family never cease to amaze me.

original.gif

Eppy... you do cat sitting too? My potential neighbours in Penang don't look like cat people.
I’d pass on eating at their house. You might start questioning the mystery meat.

I’m too lazy and tired to properly edit this. I misread and now just don’t give a ****.

Reactions: sglowrider
On my way home tonight. Epic adventures in the Pacific Northwest. If you haven’t visited or considered traveling to the PNW you’re not doing Merica right. I’ll share more later. Best family vacation we’ve had.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT