ADVERTISEMENT

Where did you work in Btown while you were a student?

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
My student years were pretty much 97 - 2002.

Off the top of my head.

Stefano's Ice Cafe. This job didn't last long. Too structured, claustrophobic.

Kilroys on Kirkwood. My job was to put up the salad bar. Had to be there by 9am. Salad bar needed set up by something like 10am. It was a dreadful job that I could never make it on time for. I remember several times getting there very late and killing myself to get things out. Eventually I was fired. Kathy called me on the phone about the time I was to be there. She said, don't bother, you're fired. I said, 'the dream is over?' Legend has it they wrote that quote on a white board in the kitchen.

Loaf n Ladle. Another stuffy, terrible job working with a bunch of do-gooders. I had dyed my long hair bright red and the owner was furious. 'Will that wash out? You can't serve people with that hair.' Eventually fired.

Malibu Grill. Dishwasher. The entire job was set up to fail. The space was as about as big as a closet. Only one person could fit back there. No help. Friday and Saturday nights it was like a war. Bunch of slam piece waitress's though. I made a deal with JB I would always show up on the weekends if I got a free carry out order of wings. He concurred.

Rockets - I made your pizza's summer of 98', I think. Perfect little stoner job. Could look however I wanted. Again, kitchen was as big as a closet. But pretty laid back. I would wander out into the dining area, check out all the band pictures thinking one day my band would be on there.

Last but certainly not least.

Night Moves. I was your cook summer of '99. My dad had come up to visit and congratulate me on making it through my junior year. I told him I needed a summer job in the worst way. We happened to drive by Night Moves and right there on the sign, 'Cook Wanted.' We were both like, yes, that's you. My interview with Larry went about like all interviews go:

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

Then he told me all about his gambling and that he liked his food with no seasoning and that he was only hiring 1 cook. So I made $8.50 an hour for 40 hours and every hour after 40 would be $5.00 an hour. I spent my entire summer in that place. Opening to closing. I was like working in a HBO special.

What ya got?

Off the top of my head.

Kilroys on Kirkwood. My job was to put up the salad bar. Had to be there by 9am. Salad bar needed set up by something like 10am. It was a dreadful job that I could never make it on time for. I remember several times getting there very late and killing myself to get things out. Eventually I was fired. Kathy called me on the phone about the time I was to be there. She said, don't bother, you're fired. I said, 'the dream is over?' Legend has it they wrote that quote on a white board in the kitchen.

Loaf n Ladle. Another stuffy, terrible job working with a bunch of do-gooders. I had dyed my long hair bright red and the owner was furious. 'Will that wash out? You can't serve people with that hair.' Eventually fired.

Malibu Grill. Dishwasher. The entire job was set up to fail. The space was as about as big as a closet. Only one person could fit back there. No help. Friday and Saturday nights it was like a war. Bunch of slam piece waitress's though. I made a deal with JB I would always show up on the weekends if I got a free carry out order of wings. He concurred.

Rockets - I made your pizza's summer of 98', I think. Perfect little stoner job. Could look however I wanted. Again, kitchen was as big as a closet. But pretty laid back. I would wander out into the dining area, check out all the band pictures thinking one day my band would be on there.

Night Moves. I was your cook summer of '99. My dad had come up to visit and congratulate me on making it through my junior year. I told him I needed a summer job in the worst way. We happened to drive by Night Moves and right there on the sign, 'Cook Wanted.' We were both like, yes, that's you. My interview with Larry went about like all interviews go:

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

Then he told me all about his gambling and that he liked his food with no seasoning and that he was only hiring 1 cook. So I made $8.50 an hour for 40 hours and every hour after 40 would be $5.00 an hour. I spent my entire summer in that place. Opening to closing. I was like working in a HBO special.

What ya got?
Le Petit Cafe 1982.

They needed a dishwasher extraordinaire & my talents were available - LOL.

Actually, Patrick & Marina (the owners) gave you a free meal every shift you worked - so that was a nice perk - especially if you were 21 & worked weekends because , well you know ...

SPEA

There are no cool stories about SPEA…just some really weird professors.

Fall of '86 through Fall of '90

Mickey D's on 3rd st for 2nd semester my sophomore year. Mostly drive thru and front end. Did not like it, but it was a job and I met some people who I'm still in touch with 35+ years later.

Big Lots on S. Walnut (no longer there) for 2 years. Started as a night time clean up/facing dude. Did some cashiering. Learned how to do the daily book keeping to fill in for the regular book keeper's vacation and days off. Then became the front end customer service manager. When they began computerizing, I did all the training for both Btown locations, Bedford, and Seymour. Sundays were the best since it was double time and none of the other managers wanted to work it. I would get 11 of my 40 hours on Sundays and make my share of rent one day/month. That job actually let me leave college with money in the bank, even after not working my last semester. It also let me know that retail sucked and I needed to avoid it at all costs.

SPEA

There are no cool stories about SPEA…just some really weird professors.
SPEA story from 2017 - I sat next to Dr. Bonser on a flight and had a very pleasant, wide ranging conversation with him. He was very interested in what I was doing, how the school prepared students and what my experience was with the faculty. We've exchanged an occasional email after that, mostly encouraging me to get involved with the school however possible.

SPEA story from 2017 - I sat next to Dr. Bonser on a flight and had a very pleasant, wide ranging conversation with him. He was very interested in what I was doing, how the school prepared students and what my experience was with the faculty. We've exchanged an occasional email after that, mostly encouraging me to get involved with the school however possible.
I remember one professor and his entire office was filled with bugs. It was like a movie set…it’s etched into my brain…can’t remember his name for nothing. I can remember another guy who was pretty cool. I’m sure he’s passed by now. His name was Orville Powell. He was a cool guy and always nice to us. But all in all, some very odd ducks we had to deal with.

Only two actually - I worked summers doing finish grade landscaping which paid well for the mid 90's (and I was working 60-70 hours a week).

Showplace 12 (maybe 11 can't remember) - free movies. Yay!. Robbed that place blind of popcorn and candy.

IU Memorial Union - dishwasher/janitor. Janitor paid better b/c I got union wages (like $6.82 and hour or something).

Off the top of my head.

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

What ya got?
I covered sports for the IDS between 1972 and 1976. During the summer months, however, I lived in Columbus, Indiana with my parents and worked at least 40 hours a week.

In the summer of 1973, I worked for a landscaping company with my dentist buddy He got me the job and I thoroughly enjoyed mowing, laying sod, etc.

During the summers of 1974 and 1975, I worked for Public Service. I did substation maintenance at that time and made about three times what I was making at the landscaping job.

I covered sports for the IDS between 1972 and 1976. During the summer months, however, I lived in Columbus, Indiana with my parents and worked at least 40 hours a week.

In the summer of 1973, I worked for a landscaping company with my dentist buddy He got me the job and I thoroughly enjoyed mowing, laying sod, etc.

During the summers of 1974 and 1975, I worked for Public Service. I did substation maintenance at that time and made about three times what I was making at the landscaping job.
I bet you and your dentist buddy laid a lot of sod together

I had a great work-study job. I worked for a professor in the Psychology Dept at their clinic in the evenings where grad students did low-cost counseling for the public. I was basically the Receptionist/attendant for the evening hours a couple days a week. 4-9pm and some Saturdays. Plus, the Professor was doing a paper and I would do research for him reading articles and writing short briefs. I'd arrive at 4 and talk with he and his Associate Prof and if they had any projects for me, they'd review then, before they left. Counseling sessions were around 6 and 7:30 and in between, it was quiet. They liked having me there because there were some strange folks coming in and some of the counselors were female. Had to call 911 twice because patients had taken pills before arriving for their session, but most nights were quiet and I could study or watch/listen to hoops or sports. I also did odd jobs around the building on weekends, cleaning up or painting and such. It was nice and I felt like it was my building and clinic when I was there.

PS, it's where I listened to the 84-85 NIT championship loss to UCLA and some slight 2 guard who the wind could blow over and had a sister who could beat him in 1 on 1 they said... think his name was Reginald Miller or something.

Last edited:

Off the top of my head.

@Warison, Capital idea for a thread. My summer jobs were at home …

I did ref intramural BB one winter. A guy caught an elbow from a teammate … which is a self inflicted affront to the team … but not a foul. Caught the interest of the session supervisor for a few minutes.

2007-2009 I was the IT guy at the admissions office on Jordan. It paid great and I had plenty of time to get homework done. Made my own schedule and blew off work a lot on a Friday when the weather was nice. I must’ve done something right though because they offered me my bosses job when I graduated.

I worked on campus at the IU Auditorium and the MAC.

Serving drinks -- my biggest achievement in life -- to be able to smell the difference between diet coke and regular. Made a huge difference during intervals when there are tons of people.
Been downhill since.

Off the top of my head.

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

What ya got?
Independent Study. Opening thousands of student mailers from all over the world, and transferring to the proper professor. Answering the phones as well. IU was quite ahead of the curve on this one. I worked there in the late 80’s early 90’s.

Reactions: kkott
I worked on campus at the IU Auditorium and the MAC.

Serving drinks -- my biggest achievement in life -- to be able to smell the difference between diet coke and regular. Made a huge difference during intervals when there are tons of people.
Been downhill since.
or you could just taste them!

Off the top of my head.

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

What ya got?
One summer, Bloomington Country Club hosted our country club in an interclub event. After the golf tournament, we were headed back to Columbus, but we stopped for what I thought was dinner.

It was a place called Night Moves and our waitress was topless. She mentioned she had just had a baby a couple of months earlier and she was struggling from a financial standpoint.

Rather than order a meal, I got up and walked out to my vehicle because I was one of the three designated drivers. A few minutes later, the other 15 or more guys came out and we headed back to Columbus.

It was my first time there and I will never go to Night Moves again! I had no idea it was a topless bar or restaurant.

Intramurals.

I was the asshole telling you assholes to knock it off or I was throwing your ass out of the game.
I got thrown out of an intramural basketball game at IU once. While I was guarding an opponent, I had him pinned in a corner. I then used my knees to nudge him out of bounds and he responded by throwing the basketball at my groin.

My instinctive reaction was to pin him up against the wall. The ref then called a technical on me and threw me out of the game.

As I was walking out of the HPER Building, I saw one of my best friends (now my dentist buddy). I asked him what he was doing and he said he had just got thrown out of a game while playing for his fraternity.

What are the odds of that? He and I still joke about it.

I got thrown out of an intramural basketball game at IU once. While I was guarding an opponent, I had him pinned in a corner. I then used my knees to nudge him out of bounds and he responded by throwing the basketball at my groin.

My instinctive reaction was to pin him up against the wall. The ref then called a technical on me and threw me out of the game.

As I was walking out of the HPER Building, I saw one of my best friends (now my dentist buddy). I asked him what he was doing and he said he had just got thrown out of a game while playing for his fraternity.

What are the odds that you pinned a different guy, other than your Dentist buddy, against a wall? Sounds like you didn't know him that well then, so I'd say 100%? I'm sure he's forgiven you!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
One summer, Bloomington Country Club hosted our country club in an interclub event. After the golf tournament, we were headed back to Columbus, but we stopped for what I thought was dinner.

It was a place called Night Moves and our waitress was topless. She mentioned she had just had a baby a couple of months earlier and she was struggling from a financial standpoint.

Rather than order a meal, I got up and walked out to my vehicle because I was one of the three designated drivers. A few minutes later, the other 15 or more guys came out and we headed back to Columbus.

It was my first time there and I will never go to Night Moves again! I had no idea it was a topless bar or restaurant.
so you deprived that young working mother of the opportunity to make $$ by serving you and your tip? Cad!

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
What are the odds that you pinned a different guy, other than your Dentist buddy, against a wall? Sounds like you didn't know him that well then, so I'd say 100%? I'm sure he's forgiven you!
My dentist buddy and I were teammates in intramural basketball and intramural softball our freshman year, but he played basketball for his fraternity our sophomore year. We were playing in two different games when we both got thrown out of them.

I don't know whether I have mentioned this before, but my dentist buddy and I have been close friends since third grade. He got married on August 7, 1976 and I got married on August 21, 1976. My fiancee and I were going to get married on August 7th until I called him and he said he was getting married that day. We changed the date of our marriage so he could be one of the groomsmen.

My dentist buddy and our buddies had a blast the night before my wedding. The five of us spent a lot of time together our freshman year at IU. One of them was an IU basketball player, by the way.

so you deprived that young working mother of the opportunity to make $$ by serving you and your tip? Cad!
The last thing I wanted to see was a topless mother who still was breast feeding her two-month old child.

Off the top of my head.

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

What ya got?
You're young enough to be my son. You weren't even born yet when the Hoosiers won it my senior year.

A tee shirt store in the mall. Pressed greek letters and stupid pictures on to cheap shirts and sweats. Met a lot of nice sorority girls there, and got invited to a lot of parties. For such a lame job, it was a helpful way to socialize. Weekdays were dead, so I basically got paid to study. And, I ate way too much Luca Pizza.

Night Moves. I was your cook summer of '99.
YOu would have known Desiree and her pimp... I mean Male partner Jamie then I bet and their chubby little boy... Don't recall his name.
Poor little 5'2" hard body brunette, just trying to provide for her family.

Off the top of my head.

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

What ya got?
I need more info on the slam piece waitresses at Malibu.

2007-2009 I was the IT guy at the admissions office on Jordan. It paid great and I had plenty of time to get homework done. Made my own schedule and blew off work a lot on a Friday when the weather was nice. I must’ve done something right though because they offered me my bosses job when I graduated.
Wow, who did you have to know to get that job?

Le Petit Cafe 1982.

They needed a dishwasher extraordinaire & my talents were available - LOL.

Actually, Patrick & Marina (the owners) gave you a free meal every shift you worked - so that was a nice perk - especially if you were 21 & worked weekends because , well you know ...
Winston was born around 84’ hearing his dad say his name still rings in my ear.

I started working at the IUtelefund in about 2000. Became a HS manager at 17. They should have named the building after me, instead they turned it into a golf cart house.

Jim Chipman and Isabelle Near were two older folks that raised millions for the telefund. They couldn’t hold a candle to the sly talking 16 year old.

I got tossed for an "undercut" on a drive to the basket at HYPER. The fact is the kid had posterized my white ass by damned near nuts to the face jumping over me. He went down, but it was no undercut.

Off the top of my head.

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

What ya got?
IUSF. Lifetime of payoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT