ADVERTISEMENT

Where did you work in Btown while you were a student?

My student years were pretty much 97 - 2002.

Off the top of my head.

Stefano's Ice Cafe. This job didn't last long. Too structured, claustrophobic.

Kilroys on Kirkwood. My job was to put up the salad bar. Had to be there by 9am. Salad bar needed set up by something like 10am. It was a dreadful job that I could never make it on time for. I remember several times getting there very late and killing myself to get things out. Eventually I was fired. Kathy called me on the phone about the time I was to be there. She said, don't bother, you're fired. I said, 'the dream is over?' Legend has it they wrote that quote on a white board in the kitchen.

Loaf n Ladle. Another stuffy, terrible job working with a bunch of do-gooders. I had dyed my long hair bright red and the owner was furious. 'Will that wash out? You can't serve people with that hair.' Eventually fired.

Malibu Grill. Dishwasher. The entire job was set up to fail. The space was as about as big as a closet. Only one person could fit back there. No help. Friday and Saturday nights it was like a war. Bunch of slam piece waitress's though. I made a deal with JB I would always show up on the weekends if I got a free carry out order of wings. He concurred.

Rockets - I made your pizza's summer of 98', I think. Perfect little stoner job. Could look however I wanted. Again, kitchen was as big as a closet. But pretty laid back. I would wander out into the dining area, check out all the band pictures thinking one day my band would be on there.

Last but certainly not least.

Night Moves. I was your cook summer of '99. My dad had come up to visit and congratulate me on making it through my junior year. I told him I needed a summer job in the worst way. We happened to drive by Night Moves and right there on the sign, 'Cook Wanted.' We were both like, yes, that's you. My interview with Larry went about like all interviews go:

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

Then he told me all about his gambling and that he liked his food with no seasoning and that he was only hiring 1 cook. So I made $8.50 an hour for 40 hours and every hour after 40 would be $5.00 an hour. I spent my entire summer in that place. Opening to closing. I was like working in a HBO special.

What ya got?
I worked at The Total Tan. The clientele was tremendous and was a constant funnel for getting a date.

I bet that VPM worked at the gay bar. Its name escapes me right now.

Last edited:
strip club where a lot of locals hanging out . you really got to see the side of bloomington that doesn't exit on campus
Hell, I can't even find it on Mapquest.

Give me a street and I'll check it out.

Hell, I can't even find it on Mapquest.

Give me a street and I'll check it out.
It's been gone for thirty years. Used to be on Rogers in the old Levee area. Very tough area. Completely gentrified now with the reclamation of the Showers complex.

I don't think it was actually a strip club, just a rough local bar.

Reactions: DANC
It's been gone for thirty years. Used to be on Rogers in the old Levee area. Very tough area. Completely gentrified now with the reclamation of the Showers complex.

I don't think it was actually a strip club, just a rough local bar.
Is that the area where the farmer's market is now?

I stayed on Rogers at an AirBnB recently, near the hospital. Sirens and helecopters kept me up all night.

Kappa Sigma work in the kitchen received free food. Three hot meals every weekday and the run of the place of on weekends.

Reactions: kkott
My student years were pretty much 97 - 2002.

Off the top of my head.

Stefano's Ice Cafe. This job didn't last long. Too structured, claustrophobic.

Kilroys on Kirkwood. My job was to put up the salad bar. Had to be there by 9am. Salad bar needed set up by something like 10am. It was a dreadful job that I could never make it on time for. I remember several times getting there very late and killing myself to get things out. Eventually I was fired. Kathy called me on the phone about the time I was to be there. She said, don't bother, you're fired. I said, 'the dream is over?' Legend has it they wrote that quote on a white board in the kitchen.

Loaf n Ladle. Another stuffy, terrible job working with a bunch of do-gooders. I had dyed my long hair bright red and the owner was furious. 'Will that wash out? You can't serve people with that hair.' Eventually fired.

Malibu Grill. Dishwasher. The entire job was set up to fail. The space was as about as big as a closet. Only one person could fit back there. No help. Friday and Saturday nights it was like a war. Bunch of slam piece waitress's though. I made a deal with JB I would always show up on the weekends if I got a free carry out order of wings. He concurred.

Rockets - I made your pizza's summer of 98', I think. Perfect little stoner job. Could look however I wanted. Again, kitchen was as big as a closet. But pretty laid back. I would wander out into the dining area, check out all the band pictures thinking one day my band would be on there.

Last but certainly not least.

Night Moves. I was your cook summer of '99. My dad had come up to visit and congratulate me on making it through my junior year. I told him I needed a summer job in the worst way. We happened to drive by Night Moves and right there on the sign, 'Cook Wanted.' We were both like, yes, that's you. My interview with Larry went about like all interviews go:

'Are you a pervert?'
'Um... no... '

Then he told me all about his gambling and that he liked his food with no seasoning and that he was only hiring 1 cook. So I made $8.50 an hour for 40 hours and every hour after 40 would be $5.00 an hour. I spent my entire summer in that place. Opening to closing. I was like working in a HBO special.

What ya got?
Houseboy at the AOPi Sorority.

Mic drop.

Is that the area where the farmer's market is now?

That general area, yes. The market faces Morton to the east. Rod's was on the east side of Rogers a bit further north, just south of the railroad track (which are now the BLine).

That whole area was shit back in the day. The revitalization they've done is amazing.

That general area, yes. The market faces Morton to the east. Rod's was on the east side of Rogers a bit further north, just south of the railroad track (which are now the BLine).

That whole area was shit back in the day. The revitalization they've done is amazing.
Yeah, I had a buddy live not far from that area in the late 70s. Pretty sketchy, but you're right - they've done a 180 with it. Nice area now and all those apartments close to their really change the scenery.

I have to laugh at areas of Bloomington called sketchy but that may be to the places I was in when in the Marines. I bounced bar at the Olde Regulator with a number of wrestlers working under assumed names.
Yes it's all relative, but to a 20 year old college kid, Btown westsiders could be intimidating. I've heard some stories from my army ranger brother in law. Was working in a bar against the rules for wrestlers ?

Oh man, it's been closed for years. Sorry to get you pumped up.
Was it the Sunset Tavern when it finally shut down? Cinderblock building, east side of Rogers just south of the railroad crossing?

Gawd I'd hate to think there were two places like that...

Was it the Sunset Tavern when it finally shut down? Cinderblock building, east side of Rogers just south of the railroad crossing?

Goddammit you're right. What I was describing as Rod's location was the Sunset. Rod's was nearby, but now I can't remember exactly where. May have been somewhere on North Morton across from the Showers building.

So long ago, all I remember is if you go west on 7th and cross over College it was somewhere between 3rd and 10th street. But I do remember it was in a block type building.

According to the Bloomington Remembers FB page, Rods was on North Morton behind the ST Semicon building so across from Hays Market on the east side of the street. Green and white block building. Back when "the Levee" was the levee...

The Sunset was on east side of Rogers just south of the railroad crossing. Also a cinder block building but with a limestone façade.

Neither was a place I ever visited, but I also wasn't 21 until the 80's😊

Reactions: UncleMark
I worked at The Total Tan. The clientele was tremendous and was a constant funnel for getting a date.
I was there in the crazy, politically charged, late 60s. I worked for IU as an A/V tech setting up and operating movie projectors for faculty members.

I also had a nice gig baby-sitting (9 year old boy) for a married couple who were faculty.

I have to laugh at areas of Bloomington called sketchy but that may be to the places I was in when in the Marines. I bounced bar at the Olde Regulator with a number of wrestlers working under assumed names.

Ye Olde Regulator. fify

"The Reg"

did you work there when it was long and thin and an acoustic venue, or when they expanded into the space directly south as well, and went disco?

Yes it's all relative, but to a 20 year old college kid, Btown westsiders could be intimidating. I've heard some stories from my army ranger brother in law. Was working in a bar against the rules for wrestlers ?
It was against the rules for athletes on scholarship to work and earn money during the school terms.

Ye Olde Regulator. fify

"The Reg"

did you work there when it was long and thin and an acoustic venue, or when they expanded into the space directly south as well, and went disco?
Unfortunately, after they went disco to my chagrin.

I bet you and your dentist buddy laid a lot of sod together
We learned how to stagger the ends of sod. Ironically, we had a superintendent at the country club a few years ago who didn't know they were supposed to do that when they laid sod for some of the tees. I pointed it out to him and he looked at me like the proverbial deer in headlights. Needless to say, he didn't last long.

My now-wife worked at the Red Chair Bakery. Long ago gone. That place had good stuff. I always paired a visit there with a visit to the record store right near it.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT