ADVERTISEMENT

What is happening with the marching band?

John Mellencamp played back to back nights at the IU Auditorium when I was a student ('85, maybe?). After the first night word spread quickly how the balcony was literally bouncing as everyone was jumping and dancing during "The Authority Song".

I had front row balcony tickets for night 2. Before the show the people below were looking nervously up at the balcony. It was definitely moving when he played the song that night.

Long story short, maybe use "The Authority Song" for our version of "Jump Around".
The Auditorium was built by the WPA. Be very afraid.

I seriously do not understand those of you who feel it is up to IU to entertain you every second from the instant you enter Memorial Stadium until you leave.

My entertainment is the football game. To me, that is the experience. When there is a break in the action I talk with those around me, go get a beverage, whatever. I can keep myself content and occupied for a few minutes until the play starts again.
At least we agree on one thing - football is an “entertainment” enterprise. As is every other sport played in front of paying fans.

So let me ask - if whoever was your favorite band of all time was playing outside, or inside pre-game, or at half, or after the game inside, would you be interested? I think yes. Me too. So “other entertainment” CAN be part of a game day.

Do you like flyovers? Me too.

If I could go from 42,000 butts to 52,000 butts in seats by having Bozo the Clown walk around, I’d do it. Image matters - and our image is not “hottest ticket in the league” or even “hottest ticket in town.”

Reactions: 76-1
At least we agree on one thing - football is an “entertainment” enterprise. As is every other sport played in front of paying fans.

So let me ask - if whoever was your favorite band of all time was playing outside, or inside pre-game, or at half, or after the game inside, would you be interested? I think yes. Me too. So “other entertainment” CAN be part of a game day.

If I could go from 42,000 butts to 52,000 butts in seats by having Bozo the Clown walk around, I’d do it. Image matters - and our image is not “hottest ticket in the league” or even “hottest ticket in town.”

I enjoy all those things you mentioned. But they are not the reason I buy tickets. I go to see IU play football. I go to watch the Indy 500. I go to watch the Cardinals play baseball, Komets play hockey, etc. Whether or not the extras happen I will go and enjoy myself.

I think a post-game concert would be great to get people into the stadium and NO pass-outs. If they want to see the concert, they have to stay through halftime.

Get a big name in there for the first game, at least. Get people used to hanging around inside the stadium and improve the concession stands.

There's no doubt there are things that can be done to bring people in. But we've been talking about this since I started posting around 1998.

Sorry, I wasn't clear (no there's not a marching band) I was referring to someone who coordinates the complete entertainment experience from start to finish at a high level.
Which is easier to do when there isn't a marching band that thinks they're the reason everyone is there to watch and listen to.

I enjoy all those things you mentioned. But they are not the reason I buy tickets. I go to see IU play football. I go to watch the Indy 500. I go to watch the Cardinals play baseball, Komets play hockey, etc. Whether or not the extras happen I will go and enjoy myself.
Yabbut … empty seats hurt recruiting. We need sellouts and NIL to compete these days.

I just don't like commercials being blasted at me from the score board during 5 min television breaks. If the Marching 100 is underfunded, then the president needs to get involved and get them funded properly, if it is a university priority to maximize the Football experience.

I just don't like commercials being blasted at me from the score board during 5 min television breaks. If the Marching 100 is underfunded, then the president needs to get involved and get them funded properly, if it is a university priority to maximize the Football experience.
They just signed a huge TV contract that should give them some money to play with I would think.

Last year a couple guys went to the northeast corner, took their shirt off - and it was VERY cold.

Then a few more came to join them. Then a few more. Eventually, students were streaming over there, shirtless, including some women (at least biologically, apparently).

It was a real 'thing' and the whole stadium loved it. I think it made ESPN highlights - the game certainly did not.

That kind of spontaneous demonstration I love. The 'jump around' as some kind of tradition, seems lame to me. But I'm not in the 18-22 year old age range.
That shirtless group was amusing. Too bad the..nevermind

I seriously do not understand those of you who feel it is up to IU to entertain you every second from the instant you enter Memorial Stadium until you leave.

My entertainment is the football game. To me, that is the experience. When there is a break in the action I talk with those around me, go get a beverage, whatever. I can keep myself content and occupied for a few minutes until the play starts again.
Last season I went to see the New York Giants play the Dolphins in Hard Rock stadium. I was entertained every second from the moment I entered to the moment I left. But to create the same atmosphere in Bloomington you would have to start by tearing Memorial Stadium down and starting all over again. And that's what the Dolphins did.

I think a post-game concert would be great to get people into the stadium and NO pass-outs. If they want to see the concert, they have to stay through halftime.

Get a big name in there for the first game, at least. Get people used to hanging around inside the stadium and improve the concession stands.

There's no doubt there are things that can be done to bring people in. But we've been talking about this since I started posting around 1998.
Haven't we had a post game concert or two inside MS over the years? Maybe it was somewhere else.

I don't need it, but part of the reason you go to a game is the "experience". If your entertainment is the game, you can be really well entertained on your couch in front of your 65+ inch HDTV.

I think people are drawn to the experience of the game. It is fun when you are, first and foremost, winning and then you are also engaging with the fun little traditional things that happen live at the game. "Jump Around" is not the same thing in your apartment in Madison. Singing that old song with 60,000+ other people doesn't hit the same at home by yourself.
On the flipside the beer is much colder at home, it's easier to watch the game with friends, it's a hell of a lot cheaper, and depending on your age, you don't have to worry about wetting your pants standing in line at the restroom.

Funding has nothing to do with them playing the SAME LAME SONGS OVER AND OVER AGAIN, DECADE AFTER DECADE and the SAME LAME HALFTIME IDEAS DECADE AFTER DECADE.

The JSOM wields too much power and a public fight between the JSOM and IU Athletics isn't a good look for either side, so things just go on as they have been going DECADE AFTER DECADE.

I don't remember any, but that doesn't mean much - I have trouble remembering my name sometimes.
Yeah, may have been some other venue with a post-game concert. Have been in a lot of college stadiums over the years.

Have some family north of CLT, what is that about 8.5?
I can usually make it to Indy in 9 hours from where I am, on the east side, depending on traffic.

I'm actually driving up Thursday to around Louisville and watch PU get stomped. Then drive from there to B-town to stop at Nick's, get a strom and a beer, and then to the stadium for tailgate with friends.

I used to do all our group's tailgate plans and grilling. Since we moved to Charlotte, I depend on the locals. They aren't on as much of a strict timeline as I was.

Last year a couple guys went to the northeast corner, took their shirt off - and it was VERY cold.

That kind of spontaneous demonstration I love. The 'jump around' as some kind of tradition, seems lame to me. But I'm not in the 18-22 year old age range.

If that ever became a tradition, I hope you stay far far away. <shudder>

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
If you are on American, you are canceled lol, happened
to me twice.
I drive. It's a toss-up sometime whether I'll fly or not, but because of the craziness of the airport and airlines, I drive when I can.

When I fly, I fly American out of Charlotte since it's a hub. Haven't had a flight canceled yet (knock on wood), but I read where hundreds are canceled if there's any weather anywhere.

We flew to Seattle and back last month and had great flights both ways. I guess we got lucky.

I drive. It's a toss-up sometime whether I'll fly or not, but because of the craziness of the airport and airlines, I drive when I can.

When I fly, I fly American out of Charlotte since it's a hub. Haven't had a flight canceled yet (knock on wood), but I read where hundreds are canceled if there's any weather anywhere.

We flew to Seattle and back last month and had great flights both ways. I guess we got lucky.
Yeah, I was told it was the weather, if it is the weather then American
does not have to pay for your hotel. In both of my canceled flights
I checked with the national weather service, and it was not the weather, no
other airline from Charlotte to my destination canceled the flight. The truth
is American did not have a pilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
maybe halftime shows are too 1930’s? Ahia State has made them more modern, but these days, most folks don’t sit around watching a marching band do the same thing as always - they go to the can, go stand in line for food drinks, text and check phone data, get out of the sun for a bit, visit the outsiders, etc. Gotta go big or stay home if you want to improve on the same old thing.

meanwhile, we set off fireworks during daylight.

my advice has always been to hire a Broadway/Hollywood/Vegas show director/team to CREATE and SUSTAIN EXCITEMENT from the moment the gates open until end of game - appoint him/her/them as the GOD(S) of EVERYTHING but the football. They decide how the team enters the field, how the band enters the stadium, what music gets played and when. No excitement - no happen. If your ad sucks, we don’t play it.

The “aw shucks - aren’t they cute” method is dead.
Love what u said and get the cheerleaders out of sweaters in 90 degree heat. Catch up with the times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT