ADVERTISEMENT

What is happening with the marching band?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
A couple of years ago they were going to put some new blood in the program and expand practice facilities etc. It would be great if someone could take some video of the halftime show and post it on this website. I for one would greatly appreciate it.

A couple of years ago they were going to put some new blood in the program and expand practice facilities etc. It would be great if someone could take some video of the halftime show and post it on this website. I for one would greatly appreciate it.
Most likely still doing diamond formation in place rather than
stick figures marching up and down the field kicking a football
playing killer music.

Reactions: DANC
Alumni here of the Hundred. 94-98. I’ve been removed from the program a long time, but I can say the program lost a giant this summer. David Woodley “The Colonel” passed away, and was director from 93(ish) until about 3 years ago when Eric Smedley took over. Eric is a former member of the Hundred and is a great guy.

Dave was loved by many in the Hundred, including myself.

I agree the program lagged some by the likes of O$U, but I feel it was due to financial support. o$U oozes cash due to a highly successful football program. Us, not so much. Every member at O$U was given iPads for complex charts etc making shows like the Michael Jackson show possible. We on the other hand had to ask for special fundraisers for matching instruments. (When I played there, we brought in our own).

Alumni here of the Hundred. 94-98. I’ve been removed from the program a long time, but I can say the program lost a giant this summer. David Woodley “The Colonel” passed away, and was director from 93(ish) until about 3 years ago when Eric Smedley took over. Eric is a former member of the Hundred and is a great guy.

I agree the program lagged some by the likes of O$U, but I feel it was due to financial support. o$U oozes cash due to a highly successful football program. Us, not so much. Every member at O$U was given iPads for complex charts etc making shows like the Michael Jackson show possible. We on the other hand had to ask for special fundraisers for matching instruments. (When I played there, we brought in our own).
I think the Ohio State band members probably were saying yes it's a big sacrifice but I'm going to get to march in the Rose Bowl and party in Los Angeles on New Year's Eve. Awfully good recruiting tool.

Our marching band can't afford iPads?

Our marching band can't afford iPads?
Well, not sure specifically on iPads, just illustrating a real rift of haves and have nots on budget. Reality is a winning team that brings in massive revenue can afford things with lower revenue can’t. My statement on instruments is 100% accurate

Whatever the financial contrast what is really lacking is the resolute determination to put on a hell of a show. Get on the f-ing train or get off the f-ing track. This attitude we can't do business because the computers are down is born through weakness. BS, grab another alligator.

You can watch last year’s pregame and halftime shows here:

maybe halftime shows are too 1930’s? Ahia State has made them more modern, but these days, most folks don’t sit around watching a marching band do the same thing as always - they go to the can, go stand in line for food drinks, text and check phone data, get out of the sun for a bit, visit the outsiders, etc. Gotta go big or stay home if you want to improve on the same old thing.

meanwhile, we set off fireworks during daylight.

my advice has always been to hire a Broadway/Hollywood/Vegas show director/team to CREATE and SUSTAIN EXCITEMENT from the moment the gates open until end of game - appoint him/her/them as the GOD(S) of EVERYTHING but the football. They decide how the team enters the field, how the band enters the stadium, what music gets played and when. No excitement - no happen. If your ad sucks, we don’t play it.

The “aw shucks - aren’t they cute” method is dead.

maybe halftime shows are too 1930’s? Ahia State has made them more modern, but these days, most folks don’t sit around watching a marching band do the same thing as always - they go to the can, go stand in line for food drinks, text and check phone data, get out of the sun for a bit, visit the outsiders, etc. Gotta go big or stay home if you want to improve on the same old thing.

my advice has always been to hire a Broadway/Hollywood/Vegas show director/team to CREATE and SUSTAIN EXCITEMENT from the moment the gates open until end of game - appoint him/her/them as the GOD(S) of EVERYTHING but the football. They decide how the team enters the field, how the band enters the stadium, what music gets played and when. No excitement - no happen. If your ad sucks, we don’t play it.

Hate to say it, but one of the best - and funniest - halftime show was by the PU band in 1976.

The PU band came out and played and then the announcer said something like "And now we welcome our neighbors to the south" and out came the other half of the band dressed like hillbillies. The 'cheerleaders' did some hoedown dancing or some such thing. I think they played some song like "Turkey in the straw". It wasn't that, but along those lines.

I've often thought about contacting the PU band to see if they still have video of that - it was well done and even the IU crowd was laughing.

Hate to say it, but one of the best - and funniest - halftime show was by the PU band in 1976.

The PU band came out and played and then the announcer said something like "And now we welcome our neighbors to the south" and out came the other half of the band dressed like hillbillies. The 'cheerleaders' did some hoedown dancing or some such thing. I think they played some song like "Turkey in the straw". It wasn't that, but along those lines.

I've often thought about contacting the PU band to see if they still have video of that - it was well done and even the IU crowd was laughing.
The deeper I crawl into my curmudgeon hole, the harder I am to entertain.

37scg7.gif

Spot on MTIOTF.

A good family friend does this for the Carolina Panthers. If they ever get serious about this I would call him to make the introduction to Scott Dolson. Seriously.

Spot on MTIOTF.

A good family friend does this for the Carolina Panthers. If they ever get serious about this I would call him to make the introduction to Scott Dolson. Seriously.
There's a marching band for the Panthers?

I was there for that one (Darrick Barnett ran wild and we won). They also made a pretty funny and demeaning reference to the Kinsey Institute, which drew laughs from IU and PU fans alike.

Wow! I listen to the games on the radio. Watching the halftime show video I had absolutely no idea how empty the stadium is by halftime if not earlier. I am speechless.

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
I was there for that one (Darrick Barnett ran wild and we won). They also made a pretty funny and demeaning reference to the Kinsey Institute, which drew laughs from IU and PU fans alike.
Yes! I do remember that reference. Very funny.

And Barnett did run wild. Too bad Harkrader broke both ankles when tackled out of bounds - no call.

Yes! I do remember that reference. Very funny.

And Barnett did run wild. Too bad Harkrader broke both ankles when tackled out of bounds - no call.
Broke one leg in the first half and played on it until he broke the other in the second half. Still remember seeing him get thrown onto the chain link fence they used to have up there. DB and Scott Arnett saved the day.

Broke one leg in the first half and played on it until he broke the other in the second half. Still remember seeing him get thrown onto the chain link fence they used to have up there. DB and Scott Arnett saved the day.
Yep, still playing with a broken leg and tackled into a fence with no call. Unbelievable.

I seriously do not understand those of you who feel it is up to IU to entertain you every second from the instant you enter Memorial Stadium until you leave.

My entertainment is the football game. To me, that is the experience. When there is a break in the action I talk with those around me, go get a beverage, whatever. I can keep myself content and occupied for a few minutes until the play starts again.

There's a marching band for the Panthers?
Sorry, I wasn't clear (no there's not a marching band) I was referring to someone who coordinates the complete entertainment experience from start to finish at a high level.

Not long ago I was watching some video from the 50's and
the Marching Hundred were doing the same stuff that
OSU band is doing now.

I seriously do not understand those of you who feel it is up to IU to entertain you every second from the instant you enter Memorial Stadium until you leave.

My entertainment is the football game. To me, that is the experience. When there is a break in the action I talk with those around me, go get a beverage, whatever. I can keep myself content and occupied for a few minutes until the play starts again.
I mostly agree. But PLEASE, DEAR GOD - MAKE THEM STOP PLAYING HOOSIER WIPEOUT

I actually completely agree with you.

But that's not what a lot of people expect. And MTIOTF's comment about a "Game entertainment coordinator" (or other title) is what is expected & we don't come close to what others do from a benchmarking standpoint.

I come for the tailgate (I go in early & stay till the end - FTR - so this thread doesn't get derailed - LOL) & football, and don't really care about the rest - but its a completely different experience at other locations. I just happened to refer to the Panthers above because a friend of mine does it for them.

There are a lot of people that don't view it the way we do, that's for sure.
(refer to other threads about how much it costs & what value is obtained for the expenditure)

I don't need it, but part of the reason you go to a game is the "experience". If your entertainment is the game, you can be really well entertained on your couch in front of your 65+ inch HDTV.

I think people are drawn to the experience of the game. It is fun when you are, first and foremost, winning and then you are also engaging with the fun little traditional things that happen live at the game. "Jump Around" is not the same thing in your apartment in Madison. Singing that old song with 60,000+ other people doesn't hit the same at home by yourself.

I will agree Jump Around at UW, Enter Sandman at VaTech, Bevo at UT games, etc. are all awesome. I used to love the buffalo stampede videos we used as an intro. I just don't require 24/7 audio/visual stimulation.
If you'll excuse me I have to go yell at some kids on my lawn.

Reactions: UncleMark and RBB89
I will agree Jump Around at UW, Enter Sandman at VaTech, Bevo at UT games, etc. are all awesome. I used to love the buffalo stampede videos we used as an intro. I just don't require 24/7 audio/visual stimulation.
I LOVED the Buffalo stampede video too.

There are things that still make college football unique (even with NIL around) & the whole Marching band/cheerleaders/traditions are a critical part of that experience. Love them.
(my personal focus is football & tailgating - however - not those other facets)

I was just supporting MTIOTF's very accurate observation (IMO) and mentioning my friend who does the "total experience thing" for the Carolina Panthers is that its never appeared like we were serious about "The whole experience" and that it is very important that we look like we are to the outside world - especially recruits & their families.

Now I'll go join you on your lawn and assist with kid removal - LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: ESalum86
I get it, I don't either, but the younger kids are looking to be part of an experience. Just the game itself is not necessarily that for them because under the right circumstances, they can watch that on their phone. To get them to unplug from that, there has to be a reason that is more fun than the alternative.

And I know someone took issue with it up above, but winning is the biggest component of that. You want something to cheer for first and foremost and the program has done a bad job at that, particularly against peer competition over the last several decades. When the team starts winning, excitement builds and fans start to come. Then all that other stuff makes the games become more of an event.

I don't need it, but part of the reason you go to a game is the "experience". If your entertainment is the game, you can be really well entertained on your couch in front of your 65+ inch HDTV.

I think people are drawn to the experience of the game. It is fun when you are, first and foremost, winning and then you are also engaging with the fun little traditional things that happen live at the game. "Jump Around" is not the same thing in your apartment in Madison. Singing that old song with 60,000+ other people doesn't hit the same at home by yourself.
I will stop going to games if we do anything remotely like the "Jump Around".

If it's done, do it on the East side. We old timers couldn't manage a jump if our lives depended on it.

Reactions: indy1203

There are things that still make college football unique (even with NIL around) & the whole Marching band/cheerleaders/traditions are a critical part of that experience. Love them.

I was just supporting MTIOTF's very accurate observation (IMO) and mentioning my friend who does the "total experience thing" for the Carolina Panthers is that its never appeared like we were serious about "The whole experience" and that it is very important that we look like we are to the outside world - especially recruits & their families.

The beer is cold!

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson

Tailgating is essential to game enjoyment and I'll fight anyone who thinks otherwise. We've never lost a tailgate yet.

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson

If it's done, do it on the East side. We old timers couldn't manage a jump if our lives depended on it.
Well hopefully we would organically come up with our own thing instead of copying someone....

And that happens when you have butts in the seats watching a team that at least has a chance to win against 9 or 10 of the teams on their schedule each year (not saying they will win, but something in that 40 to 60%+ chance in most games).

Tailgating is essential to game enjoyment and I'll fight anyone who thinks otherwise. We've never lost a tailgate yet.
I agree, but it really hurts whatever in-stadium atmosphere we try to create. Can’t imagine being in the band and seeing the place empty out at halftime, or the team coming out to start the second half with so many empties through much of third quarter. We are unique in that regard, though I don’t think we enjoy that status.

John Mellencamp played back to back nights at the IU Auditorium when I was a student ('85, maybe?). After the first night word spread quickly how the balcony was literally bouncing as everyone was jumping and dancing during "The Authority Song".

I had front row balcony tickets for night 2. Before the show the people below were looking nervously up at the balcony. It was definitely moving when he played the song that night.

Long story short, maybe use "The Authority Song" for our version of "Jump Around".

Well hopefully we would organically come up with our own thing instead of copying someone....

And that happens when you have butts in the seats watching a team that at least has a chance to win against 9 or 10 of the teams on their schedule each year (not saying they will win, but something in that 40 to 60%+ chance in most games).
Last year a couple guys went to the northeast corner, took their shirt off - and it was VERY cold.

Then a few more came to join them. Then a few more. Eventually, students were streaming over there, shirtless, including some women (at least biologically, apparently).

It was a real 'thing' and the whole stadium loved it. I think it made ESPN highlights - the game certainly did not.

That kind of spontaneous demonstration I love. The 'jump around' as some kind of tradition, seems lame to me. But I'm not in the 18-22 year old age range.

I agree, but it really hurts whatever in-stadium atmosphere we try to create. Can’t imagine being in the band and seeing the place empty out at halftime, or the team coming out to start the second half with so many empties through much of third quarter. We are unique in that regard, though I don’t think we enjoy that status.
I'm in my seat by kickoff and stay to the bitter end. And I mean bitter.

I understand not everyone does that. It's too bad, but win consistently and that will change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT