ADVERTISEMENT

What idiot is managing the I-69 section through Btown?

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
What the hell, Bloomington? The I69 project through Bloomington is about as near complete as it was a year ago! Lane closures and the idiotic transition from 37 south to the only compete part of I-69 is unchanged. I understand there have been issues with contractors. There have been some new ramps open and the stoplights removed, but the roadway still is a collection of orange barrels. I'm beginning to think that is the way it will be left. Does anyone work on the project through the week?

Have there been incidents at the ramp from 37 south to I-69 south of Btown? I would expect there were some scary moments this winter when people unfamiliar with the area had to make the quick left or run head on into the guardrail. This project must be managed by a Purdue graduate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
What the hell, Bloomington? The I69 project through Bloomington is about as near complete as it was a year ago! Lane closures and the idiotic transition from 37 south to the only compete part of I-69 is unchanged. I understand there have been issues with contractors. There have been some new ramps open and the stoplights removed, but the roadway still is a collection of orange barrels. I'm beginning to think that is the way it will be left. Does anyone work on the project through the week?

Have there been incidents at the ramp from 37 south to I-69 south of Btown? I would expect there were some scary moments this winter when people unfamiliar with the area had to make the quick left or run head on into the guardrail. This project must be managed by a Purdue graduate.

It also makes it extremely difficult to drive from the west side of Bloomington to the east side of Bloomington on either Second Street or Third Street. Sometimes it takes me between 45 and 60 minutes to drive from the west side to the east side.

I agree with you, iubud. It must be managed by a Purdue grad.

The whole road construction situation in Bloomington is unbelievable - not just the closures related to I-69. For townies around here, depending on where you live and/or work, this town is hell to get around. I agree McNutt, I traverse the whole town east to west each day, and it takes forever. I avoid West 2nd and 3rd like the plague.

Reactions: IUXC68 and 76-1
The whole road construction situation in Bloomington is unbelievable - not just the closures related to I-69. For townies around here, depending on where you live and/or work, this town is hell to get around. I agree McNutt, I traverse the whole town east to west each day, and it takes forever. I avoid West 2nd and 3rd like the plague.
It was probably someone wanting to preserve land that caused this route to be taken. I am all for preserving farmland, woodland and fields. I hate when someone takes farmland and builds a strip small 100 yards from another with 50% vacancy.

In this case, a new route that ran to the east of 37 with interchanges for the main roads would have been much better. 37 would have been used for local travel between Btown and Martinsville, or Martinsville and Greenwood/Indy. Those of us passing straight through and those in big semi trucks would have not added to the congestion unless they decided to stop in Btown.

I am so thankful my end of the state told those wanting to upgrade 41 to go pound sand. God's Highway is awesome until you get to 37!

Reactions: Cream&Crimson

Monroe County is part of my sales territory and it is making me unproductive when I have to drive from the west side to the east side. I am going to have to figure out a way to circumvent Second and Third streets on the west side of town.

Monroe County is part of my sales territory and it is making me unproductive when I have to drive from the west side to the east side. I am going to have to figure out a way to circumvent Second and Third streets on the west side of town.
Your best bet right may be to take Curry Pike North to Vernal Pike/17th Street and take that through town. That's working pretty well for me at this point. They finally are done with the overpass there so traffic flows pretty well.

Edit: side benefit of this route is you get to monitor progress on the stadium construction.

Your best bet right may be to take Curry Pike North to Vernal Pike/17th Street and take that through town. That's working pretty well for me at this point. They finally are done with the overpass there so traffic flows pretty well.

Edit: side benefit of this route is you get to monitor progress on the stadium construction.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try it when I am in Bloomington next week. I'm on vacation this week.

General INDOT statement about Section 5:

I-69 Section 5 runs from S.R. 37 south of Bloomington generally along existing S.R. 37 to Indian Creek in Morgan County and is approximately 21 miles in length. The combined Section 5 Final Environmental Impact Statement/Record of Decision was received on August 7, 2013. Construction began in 2014 and is slated to be completed in August 2018. The project is located in the Indiana Department of Transportation’s Seymour District and is part of the I-69 Evansville to Indianapolis corridor.

For Section 5 issues:
LINK TO MOST RECENT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE (5/21/18):

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/1f1b9df

IDOT Media Contact:
Media Contact
Andy Dietrick
812-727-5796
adietrick@indot.in.gov

Vernal/17th has become the primary E/W corridor (for those that know about it). It's busy, and the section of 17th from the roundabout to the new overpass is a cowpath, but at least traffic moves. It does back up at the light at Vernal & Curry with everyone wanting to turn left/south onto Curry.

It's actually quicker, but longer, to take the bypass around the stadium and get on Curry southbound where it T's into 46. This assumes you're in the College Mall vicinity and need to get to the Curry/Cook/Ivy Tech vicinity.

General INDOT statement about Section 5:

I-69 Section 5 runs from S.R. 37 south of Bloomington generally along existing S.R. 37 to Indian Creek in Morgan County and is approximately 21 miles in length. The combined Section 5 Final Environmental Impact Statement/Record of Decision was received on August 7, 2013. Construction began in 2014 and is slated to be completed in August 2018. The project is located in the Indiana Department of Transportation’s Seymour District and is part of the I-69 Evansville to Indianapolis corridor.

For Section 5 issues:
LINK TO MOST RECENT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE (5/21/18):

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/1f1b9df

IDOT Media Contact:
Media Contact
Andy Dietrick
812-727-5796
adietrick@indot.in.gov
Thanks! That is awesome to have a phone number and email.

They are suppose to be done around the time school starts? They will be lucky to have the section through Btown done.

My cousin stopped this winter to visit their son at IU on their drive from Chicago to Cocoa Beach. I warned them about the awkward transition from 37 South to I-69. They were glad I did as it was snowing and the road was slick and visibility bad. I keep waiting for them to complete that part and open more than one lane at the exit.

It was probably someone wanting to preserve land that caused this route to be taken. I am all for preserving farmland, woodland and fields. I hate when someone takes farmland and builds a strip small 100 yards from another with 50% vacancy.

In this case, a new route that ran to the east of 37 with interchanges for the main roads would have been much better. 37 would have been used for local travel between Btown and Martinsville, or Martinsville and Greenwood/Indy. Those of us passing straight through and those in big semi trucks would have not added to the congestion unless they decided to stop in Btown.

I am so thankful my end of the state told those wanting to upgrade 41 to go pound sand. God's Highway is awesome until you get to 37!
Was in a meeting yesterday and some very high level INDOT officials were there. They said once 69 is complete they are going to go ahead and put a 3rd lane on 70 from Plainfield to the 641 by-pass (Exit 11) near Terre Haute in both directions. I said I thought 69 was going to eliminate the need to do 3 lanes on 70 line that. Their answer was, well when we first started building 69 that was the projection, but numbers have changed since then. So that will be the next state project nightmare!

Thanks! That is awesome to have a phone number and email.

They are suppose to be done around the time school starts? They will be lucky to have the section through Btown done.

My cousin stopped this winter to visit their son at IU on their drive from Chicago to Cocoa Beach. I warned them about the awkward transition from 37 South to I-69. They were glad I did as it was snowing and the road was slick and visibility bad. I keep waiting for them to complete that part and open more than one lane at the exit.

Here's the bad part:

"I-69 Section 6 will begin in Martinsville and end at I-465 in Indianapolis. Construction is anticipated to begin in Fiscal Year 2020."

So we'll get the 2018 and 2019 seasons with pretty decent traffic flow, then starting in 2020, we'll have construction woes between Martinsville and Indy.

Travel to Bloomington has cost IU football more dearly than perhaps any other factor. As @Townsend knows, we used to play whole conference schedules on the road because nobody wanted to travel to Bloomington.

Reactions: 76-1 and RBB89
Here's the bad part:

"I-69 Section 6 will begin in Martinsville and end at I-465 in Indianapolis. Construction is anticipated to begin in Fiscal Year 2020."

So we'll get the 2018 and 2019 seasons with pretty decent traffic flow, then starting in 2020, we'll have construction woes between Martinsville and Indy.

Travel to Bloomington has cost IU football more dearly than perhaps any other factor. As @Townsend knows, we used to play whole conference schedules on the road because nobody wanted to travel to Bloomington.
Other than the stoplights in Martinsville, I don't have an issue with a break in construction after this section is complete. It is still a huge advantage to us in the Pocket City over how we used to get to Bloomington and Indy. Bloomington routes used to travel up Indiana 57. You could choose an number of routes off 57 and none of them were good. We have saved 30-45 minutes of travel time between Evansville and Bloomington. The route is safer, uses less fuel and did I mention safety? Coal trucks on 57,while necessary, also caused a lot of unsafe conditions plus a few chipped windshields. As a parent, I hated my son driving back at night on those roads in the fall. Deer and other dangers were common.

On a good day we can now get to Indy in under 3 hours. That will drop more when the entire project is done. At least we no longer have to go through Terre Haute to Indy!

Other than the stoplights in Martinsville, I don't have an issue with a break in construction after this section is complete. It is still a huge advantage to us in the Pocket City over how we used to get to Bloomington and Indy. Bloomington routes used to travel up Indiana 57. You could choose an number of routes off 57 and none of them were good. We have saved 30-45 minutes of travel time between Evansville and Bloomington. The route is safer, uses less fuel and did I mention safety? Coal trucks on 57,while necessary, also caused a lot of unsafe conditions plus a few chipped windshields. As a parent, I hated my son driving back at night on those roads in the fall. Deer and other dangers were common.

On a good day we can now get to Indy in under 3 hours. That will drop more when the entire project is done. At least we no longer have to go through Terre Haute to Indy!

I can remember heading home late from Bloomington, having to pull off of 231 in Loogootee to find a hose to wash off my lights and windshield one night after following coal trucks - my washer fluid was dry and my lights were caked over sad bad I could barely see anything.

I can remember heading home late from Bloomington, having to pull off of 231 in Loogootee to find a hose to wash off my lights and windshield one night after following coal trucks - my washer fluid was dry and my lights were caked over sad bad I could barely see anything.
Not to mention the deer that seem to be playing chicken with the cars. We counted seeing deer in 5 separate places on one trip home including one that almost ran into the side of my SUV. I expected to hear my rear side window explode. Another was standing in the middle of the road on the rise coming from the entrance to Crane.

Here's the bad part:

This section in comparison to the B-Town section, will be like having a vasectomy through your ear canal. Especially once it gets up North of Waverly. Going to be ugly.

Vernal/17th has become the primary E/W corridor (for those that know about it). It's busy, and the section of 17th from the roundabout to the new overpass is a cowpath, but at least traffic moves. It does back up at the light at Vernal & Curry with everyone wanting to turn left/south onto Curry.

It's actually quicker, but longer, to take the bypass around the stadium and get on Curry southbound where it T's into 46. This assumes you're in the College Mall vicinity and need to get to the Curry/Cook/Ivy Tech vicinity.
Yeah, I usually take the bypass going West in the morning and Vernal / 17th heading back East in the evening. But either way, if you're heading South toward the mall you still have the back-up on 46 from around 17th down to E. 3rd, that you can't avoid and in rush hour it's worse than that back-up going West on Vernal turning South on Curry in the morning. And don't get me started on Country Club / Tapp...

Unless I'm really missing something INDOT had better switch that August 2018 projection to August 2021 (for Bloomington to Martinsville) and just be honest and report that many of us probably won't live long enough to see the completion of the Martinsville to Indianapolis section (but we'll have to live through most of the "slower than building the pyramids" construction schedule)...

I'm learning to really hate INDOT...:mad:

Looks like the subcontractors have found the new "never ending project"...

Reactions: iubud
Unless I'm really missing something INDOT had better switch that August 2018 projection to August 2021 (for Bloomington to Martinsville) and just be honest and report that many of us probably won't live long enough to see the completion of the Martinsville to Indianapolis section (but we'll have to live through most of the "slower than building the pyramids" construction schedule)...

I'm learning to really hate INDOT...:mad:

Looks like the subcontractors have found the new "never ending project"...

What is wrong with everyone on this board? I am not going to defend the state for hiring the Spanish firm and doing a public-private partnership and this project has been severely mismanaged in every way.

I understand peoples frustration and am with you guys but since the Spanish firm was fired and the state took it over last year things are going much better. My dad is friends with someone who is a construction worker on the project and he has said exactly this. Also my friend works for the state and is friends with a lot of the INDOT people and they say the same thing.

The reason it is a mess right now is because the State is really working hard to finish it by August and everything I am told is that it will be done then or very close to it. When the State took over after 3 years the project was like 40% complete and in the last year we are now at 75% roughly (last bit is always the worse and most noticeable). In other words the state has completed almost as much in a year as the private contractor did in 3.

Again I get peoples frustration and I am with you and the Spanish contractor should have been fired long before they were but since they have everything has gone pretty well. Making unnecessary comments like it won't be finished until 2021 is completely out of anger and not based in reality.

Reactions: UncleMark

It's a mess, but there has been a ton of work being done. Actually I've driven it as late as 10:00 at night and seen people out there working.

What is wrong with everyone on this board? I am not going to defend the state for hiring the Spanish firm and doing a public-private partnership and this project has been severely mismanaged in every way.

I understand peoples frustration and am with you guys but since the Spanish firm was fired and the state took it over last year things are going much better. My dad is friends with someone who is a construction worker on the project and he has said exactly this. Also my friend works for the state and is friends with a lot of the INDOT people and they say the same thing.

The reason it is a mess right now is because the State is really working hard to finish it by August and everything I am told is that it will be done then or very close to it. When the State took over after 3 years the project was like 40% complete and in the last year we are now at 75% roughly (last bit is always the worse and most noticeable). In other words the state has completed almost as much in a year as the private contractor did in 3.

Again I get peoples frustration and I am with you and the Spanish contractor should have been fired long before they were but since they have everything has gone pretty well. Making unnecessary comments like it won't be finished until 2021 is completely out of anger and not based in reality.
There are areas that could be completed that would greatly improve the project (i.e. south access to I-69) but have been left unchanged for 2-3 years. The plastic barrels and markers are probably getting old and brittle from UV rays. I question their priorities and decision making.

When the State took over after 3 years the project was like 40% complete and in the last year we are now at 75% roughly (last bit is always the worse and most noticeable).
This. They've made a lot of progress, but to do so they've had to work on it everywhere up and down the whole stretch, so it looks like total chaos. The current difficulties with E/W traffic is a result of working on both the 2nd and 3rd Street overpasses at the same time, which wasn't supposed to happen.

This. They've made a lot of progress, but to do so they've had to work on it everywhere up and down the whole stretch, so it looks like total chaos. The current difficulties with E/W traffic is a result of working on both the 2nd and 3rd Street overpasses at the same time, which wasn't supposed to happen.

Completely agree. Its awful and as I said the state deserves blame for hiring the Spanish firm and waiting 3 years to dump them and having to do so much at once is extremely inconvenient. However, they are doing the best they can now and will be done later this year and to start making statements that it will be 2021 is out of pure anger and not reality.

That's what you get for leaving city planning up to a bunch of Cutters.

baway_17.jpg

There are areas that could be completed that would greatly improve the project (i.e. south access to I-69) but have been left unchanged for 2-3 years. The plastic barrels and markers are probably getting old and brittle from UV rays. I question their priorities and decision making.
What south access to I-69 are you talking about? The 37/69 interchange has been finished for quite some time since it was part of Phase 4. There aren't any barrels there.
They've made quite a bit of progress in the last year. Traffic was a winding one-lane nightmare a year ago and it's now two lanes and they pretty much just have to finish up the exit ramps and lay the final coat of pavement.

What south access to I-69 are you talking about? The 37/69 interchange has been finished for quite some time since it was part of Phase 4. There aren't any barrels there.
They've made quite a bit of progress in the last year. Traffic was a winding one-lane nightmare a year ago and it's now two lanes and they pretty much just have to finish up the exit ramps and lay the final coat of pavement.
As you leave Bloomington and the right lane continues on 37 south, the left lane has one lane with reflective sticks standing up that keep you in that lane instead of the eventual two lanes that will flow smoothly on the entrance ramp. If you don't make a quick lane change at the end of the sticks to the left, you will run into the guard rail. The lanes that are blocked probably need a final layer of asphalt and striping to allow for the proper two lanes to exit. It has been like this since they opened the Crane to Bloomington section.

The lanes that are blocked probably need a final layer of asphalt and striping to allow for the proper two lanes to exit. It has been like this since they opened the Crane to Bloomington section.
That's exactly the case. That's essentially the final step. Right now the Bloomington stretch is full of lane changes and barrels, but once they start the final layer of asphalt it will be done for all intents and purposes.

ee405254-061f-49dc-ace7-9796bfbd5be6_text_hi.gif

Problem is, there are other projects going on that, combined with the 37 / 69 project, makes getting around pretty tough especially to the South:
  • Country Club Drive between Walnut and Rogers - Closed - expected completion date of June 24.
  • Rhorer Road between Walnut Street and Walnut Street Pike - Closed - expected completion some time in September.
  • Tapp/Rockport Roads intersection - Expected to close June 11, expected completion in November.
  • Grimes Lane at Walnut - Expected to close June 4, expected to be completed before MCCSC opens on August 8.
  • Walnut Street between South Monon and Allen Street - Lanes restricted to one in each direction, NO LEFT TURNS PERMITTED, expected to be completed before MCCSC opens on August 8.
I have family who live in the Tapp / Adams St area SW of town and they are practically shut off from civilization at this point.

TLDR of the HT road construction updates

That's exactly the case. That's essentially the final step. Right now the Bloomington stretch is full of lane changes and barrels, but once they start the final layer of asphalt it will be done for all intents and purposes.
I'm not the only one that has commented that they could have easily finished that area anytime in the last two+ years to make the road less awkward.

There will be a new I-69 bridge over the Ohio River. The route is in the planning stages. It will almost for sure be a toll bridge.

I'm not the only one that has commented that they could have easily finished that area anytime in the last two+ years to make the road less awkward.

There will be a new I-69 bridge over the Ohio River. The route is in the planning stages. It will almost for sure be a toll bridge.

here's a link to that bridge project:

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/

There is still about a 2-3 mile stretch of I-69 in Henderson, Kentucky that is not "interstate." It is still "Highway 41," and then turns into 69 again (the old Pennyrile Parkway) just south of town.

They now need to connect the old Pennyrile with I-69 in Evansville - and either use the existing 2 bridges that are 41, or build a new one.

Here's a map of proposed routes.

Preliminary-alternatives.jpg

The West 1 and West 2 alternative just use old 41 and the existing bridges, but that section is COMPLETELY LINED with businesses. My bet is they build the "Central" alternative and a new bridge. Plus, those "twin bridges" are old and decrepit.

here's a link to that bridge project:

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/

There is still about a 2-3 mile stretch of I-69 in Henderson, Kentucky that is not "interstate." It is still "Highway 41," and then turns into 69 again (the old Pennyrile Parkway) just south of town.

They now need to connect the old Pennyrile with I-69 in Evansville - and either use the existing 2 bridges that are 41, or build a new one.

Here's a map of proposed routes.

Preliminary-alternatives.jpg

The West 1 and West 2 alternative just use old 41 and the existing bridges, but that section is COMPLETELY LINED with businesses. My bet is they build the "Central" alternative and a new bridge. Plus, those "twin bridges" are old and decrepit.
It has to be a new bridge. It shouldn't be an option to use the twin bridges for I-69. I -69 merges into 41 north of the river now to make use of the existing bridge only out of necessity.

Just last week, one bridge was shut down for a couple of hours for a guy threatening to jump into the Ohio (I believe he did eventually jump). The bridges are old and always being repaired or painted. They are often closed when they are struck by barges. One of these days, the Corp of Engineers won't be able to clear it for use after one of these hits. It would be a big mistake to rely on these bridges when the nearest crossing of the Ohio is at Owensboro on a two lane road or the 231 bridge to east of that. We need to take traffic away from the twin bridges on 41, not increase it.

Henderson would be worse than trying to convert 37 through Bloomington. It would be easier to move the car dealerships located on the east side of the road. They won't be happy about moving as they are in the best location possible.

Henderson would be worse than trying to convert 37 through Bloomington. It would be easier to move the car dealerships located on the east side of the road. They won't be happy about moving as they are in the best location possible.

location location location.

What did you do about the stench coming from Loogootee because let me tell you, that town stinks. LoL. Too bad Washington and Loogootee is not as great a rivalry as it was back in the day during single class basketball.

Like I said moving right along now at a good pace and will be done later this year and not in 2019 or 2021 as people seem to think.

Great news:
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/1f40c87

Apples and Oranges comparison.

You're evidently referring to just the stretch directly adjacent to Bloomington proper (and even with that tiny bit I'm not buying an August completion).

Just drove back and forth on 37 (between Indianapolis and Martinsville) today and I can absolutely assure you that anyone telling you that the Bloomington to Martinsville section will be done anytime this year or next is lying to you. That section is still a chopped up, coned up one lane in each direction mess and it may well have claimed another life today with a motorcyclist having gotten wacked by a car just north of Bloomington...

Throw in the usual handicapped plate, white knuckling it when their speed gets above forty type in the mix and you'd best plan on what should be a 55 minute drive down from 465 becoming an hour and fifty five minute drive.

If it stays like that throughout the entire football season expect the crowds to be affected..., and the traffic accidents to multiply...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT