ADVERTISEMENT

What idiot is managing the I-69 section through Btown?

Unless I'm really missing something INDOT had better switch that August 2018 projection to August 2021 (for Bloomington to Martinsville) and just be honest and report that many of us probably won't live long enough to see the completion of the Martinsville to Indianapolis section (but we'll have to live through most of the "slower than building the pyramids" construction schedule)...

I'm learning to really hate INDOT...:mad:

Looks like the subcontractors have found the new "never ending project"...

What is wrong with everyone on this board? I am not going to defend the state for hiring the Spanish firm and doing a public-private partnership and this project has been severely mismanaged in every way.

I understand peoples frustration and am with you guys but since the Spanish firm was fired and the state took it over last year things are going much better. My dad is friends with someone who is a construction worker on the project and he has said exactly this. Also my friend works for the state and is friends with a lot of the INDOT people and they say the same thing.

The reason it is a mess right now is because the State is really working hard to finish it by August and everything I am told is that it will be done then or very close to it. When the State took over after 3 years the project was like 40% complete and in the last year we are now at 75% roughly (last bit is always the worse and most noticeable). In other words the state has completed almost as much in a year as the private contractor did in 3.

Again I get peoples frustration and I am with you and the Spanish contractor should have been fired long before they were but since they have everything has gone pretty well. Making unnecessary comments like it won't be finished until 2021 is completely out of anger and not based in reality.
I can’t imagine this is actually going to be done by August, but we’ll see.

Apples and Oranges comparison.

You're evidently referring to just the stretch directly adjacent to Bloomington proper (and even with that tiny bit I'm not buying an August completion).

Just drove back and forth on 37 (between Indianapolis and Martinsville) today and I can absolutely assure you that anyone telling you that the Bloomington to Martinsville section will be done anytime this year or next is lying to you. That section is still a chopped up, coned up one lane in each direction mess and it may well have claimed another life today with a motorcyclist having gotten wacked by a car just north of Bloomington...

Throw in the usual handicapped plate, white knuckling it when their speed gets above forty type in the mix and you'd best plan on what should be a 55 minute drive down from 465 becoming an hour and fifty five minute drive.

If it stays like that throughout the entire football season expect the crowds to be affected..., and the traffic accidents to multiply...
I just drove it there and back over the last couple days and it looks to me to be about 95% finished. Most of it just needs a final coat of pavement. The reason most of the barrels are there is to protect the guys installing guard rails, not because they’re still building the road. They won’t be completely done but I can see two lanes open both ways by the end of August or shortly after.

I just drove it there and back over the last couple days and it looks to me to be about 95% finished. Most of it just needs a final coat of pavement. The reason most of the barrels are there is to protect the guys installing guard rails, not because they’re still building the road. They won’t be completely done but I can see two lanes open both ways by the end of August or shortly after.

You must have missed the portion a few miles south of Martinsville that is still being chopped up that basically dead ends into a large piece of equipment.

I actually hope you are completely correct and I'm completely wrong in regard to this topic but I really don't see section 5 being completed anytime soon and certainly not by August.

Last edited:
You must have missed the portion a few miles south of Martinsville that is still being chopped up that basically dead ends into a large price of equipment.

I actually hope you are completely correct and I'm completely wrong in regard to this topic but I really don't see section 5 being complete d any time soon and certainly not by August.
I saw it and that is the section farthest from being finished. It’s also flat and almost perfectly straight. With all the bridges done, I can’t imagine it’s a very challenging stretch of road construction. Again, they won’t be done, I’m just saying I can see having two lanes open.

I saw it and that is the section farthest from being finished. It’s also flat and almost perfectly straight. With all the bridges done, I can’t imagine it’s a very challenging stretch of road construction. Again, they won’t be done, I’m just saying I can see having two lanes open.

I'm rooting for your prognostication to become reality...

The project appears to be jointly run by C-$ and MyTeamIsOnTheFloor, with logistical help from TOHG.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4855.2750

The road geeks think it'll be "substantially complete" and open by the end of August.

I read all the text that I could find on your link and as far as I can ascertain the only area they are referring to as recently or "soon to be" completed is the the Tapp Rd interchange...

If the "entire" section 5 project (Bloomington to Martinsville) is completed by August of "next" year I'd be extremely impressed and pleased , (and I highly doubt that it will be just based on prior experience).

This completion of section 5 by August of "this" year propaganda by INDOT is very highly unlikely (unless they literally work night and day, 24/7, over the next two months and even with that approach it'd be really tough to meet that deadline).

I'm talking about the "entirety" of section 5 not just portions of it adjacent to Bloomington proper...

Apologies to all in this thread...

I finally reread the thread topic header and it does specify "the I 69 section thru Bloomington"...

My comments (as noted) are aimed at the entirety of section 5... My experience with the local (adjacent to B-town) portion of section 5 is very limited and I bow to your personal experiences in those areas...

The portion through Bloomington is very close to being finished. All of the interchanges are open, sound walls have been erected as have the median barrier and overhead lights.

Last edited:
What the hell, Bloomington? The I69 project through Bloomington is about as near complete as it was a year ago! Lane closures and the idiotic transition from 37 south to the only compete part of I-69 is unchanged. I understand there have been issues with contractors. There have been some new ramps open and the stoplights removed, but the roadway still is a collection of orange barrels. I'm beginning to think that is the way it will be left. Does anyone work on the project through the week?

Have there been incidents at the ramp from 37 south to I-69 south of Btown? I would expect there were some scary moments this winter when people unfamiliar with the area had to make the quick left or run head on into the guardrail. This project must be managed by a Purdue graduate.
He is currently the Vice President

Reactions: IUgradman
I got more confirmation today again from INDOT directly (through a friend who is close with INDOT employees and works for State) that all of section 5 will be pretty much done in August.

Clearly no one on here has worked construction. I know a couple people who have and the end of the project is always the fastest and biggest mess. The stuff everyone is talking about on here can be done in a month or 2 without a problem if work is done efficient and accurately which it has been since state took over (again no defense for the 2 year delay or hiring or Spanish firm that slowed it down which is indefensible) and is moving along nicely.

I know driving it now its hard to be believe and I get peoples venting and frustration. However, it will be mostly done at the end of August. INDOT has told us about every delay to this point a few months before and this time no delays reported. It will be done.

I got more confirmation today again from INDOT directly (through a friend who is close with INDOT employees and works for State) that all of section 5 will be pretty much done in August.

Clearly no one on here has worked construction. I know a couple people who have and the end of the project is always the fastest and biggest mess. The stuff everyone is talking about on here can be done in a month or 2 without a problem if work is done efficient and accurately which it has been since state took over (again no defense for the 2 year delay or hiring or Spanish firm that slowed it down which is indefensible) and is moving along nicely.

I know driving it now its hard to be believe and I get peoples venting and frustration. However, it will be mostly done at the end of August. INDOT has told us about every delay to this point a few months before and this time no delays reported. It will be done.

OK, now this is where I call BS when anyone starts talking about "total" section 5 completion by August (of this year)... There are several miles left to even have had work started on them (in terms of laying a roadbed versus even any pavement) as you get near Martinsville... No way that's complete by August (flat stretch or not)...

OK, now this is where I call BS when anyone starts talking about "total" section 5 completion by August (of this year)... There are several miles left to even have had work started on them (in terms of laying a roadbed versus even any pavement) as you get near Martinsville... No way that's complete by August (flat stretch or not)...

Its not BS. I don't know how long you think it takes to do the things you said but once that part starts it takes a few weeks to compete and this is the last to be done.

I get people are frustrated and I am to. There will absolutely be some things like landscaping going on in the median after Sep 1 and a some lane stripping etc. (which INDOT has said). However, by definition the project will be 'substantially complete' by Sep 1. That does not meet 100% done but you will have 2 lanes and no more delays.

I get the skepticism given all the delays. I can't tell you how many times my friend has told me a project would be done on time per INDOT and it looked impossible and were in similar spots to where I-69 is now (US 31 corridor in Carmel comes to mind which I drive everyday where I live as well as a few others). Low and behold each one was basically done in the timeframe INDOT gave.

The difference is here it was delayed a few times first but no more delays this time. Each previous delay was given a few months before. We are 2 months from completion and at this point this is well inside the timeframe INDOT has announced any delays previously on this or any other project.

Again It will be done or 'substantially complete' by Sep 1.

channel 6 site says should be done by August.

being that there wasn't so much as 1 stop light from Btown to Mville over this stretch, and that 37 was already 4 lane, all these yrs of putting up with this will save maybe 30 seconds in drive time vs had they left it alone.

Mville to 465 to start in 2019 and target finish date is 2027, (8-9 yrs to do 26 miles. wtf), which means hope for by 2040.

465 to the south side of Mville would have cut out 16 or 17 stop lights. that would have helped a lot.

south side of Mville to Btown saves absolutely nothing, other than allowing a slightly higher speed limit for a few miles.

i originally was for following 37 between 465 and Mville.

i no longer am.

can't deal with another 9-15 yrs of this, and would like to enjoy it in my life time.

in addition, so many homes and businesses would be affected by following 37 to 465.

even with 67 option, if you thought Btown-Mville was bad, no doubt 465 - Mville will be way worse. imagine the back up at every one of those stop lights.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news...y/long-delayed-i-69-project-is-nearing-an-end

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
south side of Mville to Btown saves absolutely nothing, other than allowing a slightly higher speed limit for a few miles.
Except for eliminating four of the most dangerous intersections in Monroe County plus all the highway crossings where people had to dodge 70 mile an hour traffic to enter or cross 37.
But, you're right. They probably should have brought 69 to the south side of Bloomington, stopped it, and started again in Martinsville on a completely different route.

Reactions: IUgradman
Except for eliminating four of the most dangerous intersections in Monroe County plus all the highway crossings where people had to dodge 70 mile an hour traffic to enter or cross 37.
But, you're right. They probably should have brought 69 to the south side of Bloomington, stopped it, and started again in Martinsville on a completely different route.
I didn't pay too much attention, but I know there was a lot of discussion and opposition to creating a new highway. Building a bypass around Bloomington could have been started and built while the I-64 to Crane section was being built. Then they would have needed to connect I-69 to the 37 bypass. 37 would have been untouched until they started working north of Bloomington where the bypass ended.

It was fortunate that they built the section of I-164 years ago that began at I-64 and acted as a bypass around Evansville. It became I-69 and was the first section of the southern part of I-69. It caused very little disruption and it ws immediately appreciated. Those of us on the east side of Evansville rarely travel on 41 from I-64 to the border.

Once again moving right along with another interchange completed:
http://www.wbiw.com/local/archive/2018/06/sample-road-interchange-to-open-fri.php

Also as I said crews are working around the clock and it will be done on time. Since people don't seem to believe me or my friend who knows INDOT people here is an article saying it as well although I am not sure this will make people believe it more:
http://fox59.com/2018/06/07/i-69-pr...le-close-to-completion-after-4-year-headache/

I will believe it when I See it.

I noticed you changed your mantra from done by August to "substantially complete" by September ((I'm taking a wild guess here that "substantially complete" means those last few miles below Martinsville aren't finished))...

I noticed you changed your mantra from done by August to "substantially complete" by September ((I'm taking a wild guess here that "substantially complete" means those last few miles below Martinsville aren't finished))...

"Substantially Complete" means all lanes will be open and it will be done from a 'legal standpoint'. There will still be lane stripping, landscaping, median work and potential other small projects that don't effect the flow of traffic.

The reason for the discrepancy is half the info I have seen indicates August 31 and half indicates Sep 1. It will be 'substantially' complete one day or the other which is the difference in using August or September but is only a one day difference in actuality.

Again it will be 'substantially complete' in the time frame indicated.

"Substantially Complete" means all lanes will be open and it will be done from a 'legal standpoint'. There will still be lane stripping, landscaping, median work and potential other small projects that don't effect the flow of traffic.

The reason for the discrepancy is half the info I have seen indicates August 31 and half indicates Sep 1. It will be 'substantially' complete one day or the other which is the difference in using August or September but is only a one day difference in actuality.

Again it will be 'substantially complete' in the time frame indicated.
Striping, median and probably shoulder work will require lane closures and work zone speeds. I don't consider that done. They had 4 lanes open last summer prior to school starting. They put the barrels and lane closures up again after the OSU game.

Reactions: 76-1
Striping, median and probably shoulder work will require lane closures and work zone speeds. I don't consider that done. They had 4 lanes open last summer prior to school starting. They put the barrels and lane closures up again after the OSU game.

Don't believe me I understand the skepticism but it will be Substantially Complete Aug 31 or Sep 1.

Any lane closures and/or speed reduction after that would be done overnight and on non-football weekends and be brief and not during events or peak times which is 6am-9pm weekdays (this my friend has confirmed with INDOT since I just checked with him about your comment).

There will be no more disruptions or backup after substantial completion.

Last edited:

I can’t figure what you are talking about just south of Martinsville. they are using both lanes of the old 37 road bed there. they have some resurfacing they are doing but that part should go pretty fast.

I didn't pay too much attention, but I know there was a lot of discussion and opposition to creating a new highway. Building a bypass around Bloomington could have been started and built while the I-64 to Crane section was being built. Then they would have needed to connect I-69 to the 37 bypass. 37 would have been untouched until they started working north of Bloomington where the bypass ended.

It was fortunate that they built the section of I-164 years ago that began at I-64 and acted as a bypass around Evansville. It became I-69 and was the first section of the southern part of I-69. It caused very little disruption and it ws immediately appreciated. Those of us on the east side of Evansville rarely travel on 41 from I-64 to the border.
A new terrain bypass around Bloomington was a non-starter. It took 20 years to get the road started as it was. That never would have happened.

Don't believe me I understand the skepticism but it will be Substantially Complete Aug 31 or Sep 1.

Any lane closures and/or speed reduction after that would be done overnight and on non-football weekends and be brief and not during events or peak times which is 6am-9pm weekdays (this my friend has confirmed with INDOT since I just checked with him about your comment).

There will be no more disruptions or backup after substantial completion.

Righttttt......

Its not BS. I don't know how long you think it takes to do the things you said but once that part starts it takes a few weeks to compete and this is the last to be done.

I get people are frustrated and I am to. There will absolutely be some things like landscaping going on in the median after Sep 1 and a some lane stripping etc. (which INDOT has said). However, by definition the project will be 'substantially complete' by Sep 1. That does not meet 100% done but you will have 2 lanes and no more delays.

I get the skepticism given all the delays. I can't tell you how many times my friend has told me a project would be done on time per INDOT and it looked impossible and were in similar spots to where I-69 is now (US 31 corridor in Carmel comes to mind which I drive everyday where I live as well as a few others). Low and behold each one was basically done in the timeframe INDOT gave.

The difference is here it was delayed a few times first but no more delays this time. Each previous delay was given a few months before. We are 2 months from completion and at this point this is well inside the timeframe INDOT has announced any delays previously on this or any other project.

Again It will be done or 'substantially complete' by Sep 1.

It's BS

Public works intrigue.
Lowest bidder thinking.
Gavel holding.
Buck passing.

Best part - the decision to make it WORSE by moving UP the work at the 37/bypass intersection so leaving the game and heading south will also be construction-impacted.

Building roads and making sausage.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
This is my favorite part:

"Starting in mid-September, intersection construction at State Road 46/State Road 37 could limit traffic to one lane for eight weeks, according to INDOT's presentation. The project was initially planned to be completed in 2019."

The part about working 16 hour days was a little surprising. I would have been doing that as soon as this weather permitted and the days began getting longer.

I haven't been through Bloomington since May. I can't wait to see what changes have been made between I-69 and the bypass to the stadium. If the south 37 to I-69 2 lanes aren't done on my way home, I might take out those reflective sticks and open part of it myself!

All of the interchanges and overpasses are open except for Chambers Pike I believe. The road is fully paved and striped from Kinser Pike to the 37/69 split southwest of Bloomington. The real unfinished work is north of Bloomington.

This is my favorite part:

"Starting in mid-September, intersection construction at State Road 46/State Road 37 could limit traffic to one lane for eight weeks, according to INDOT's presentation. The project was initially planned to be completed in 2019."

The part about working 16 hour days was a little surprising. I would have been doing that as soon as this weather permitted and the days began getting longer.

I haven't been through Bloomington since May. I can't wait to see what changes have been made between I-69 and the bypass to the stadium. If the south 37 to I-69 2 lanes aren't done on my way home, I might take out those reflective sticks and open part of it myself!
I could never figure out what you were talking about but, whatever it was, it's gone. There are orange barrels closing a lane while they finish up the exits, otherwise the section through town is completely paved and striped.

I could never figure out what you were talking about but, whatever it was, it's gone. There are orange barrels closing a lane while they finish up the exits, otherwise the section through town is completely paved and striped.
It was pretty simple. As you got to the place to continue on 37 to Bedford on the right, or take the exit to I-69 and Evansville on the left, there are/were barricades that required you make a quick turn to the left to get on I-69. The 2 lanes once you the got on the ramp had been open since it opened. The left lane on 37 exiting onto the ramp was closed leaving only the common lane that you used to take either exit. The placement of the barricades left less time to cross over and make the exit. Opening an extra 50 - 100 yards of 37 would have been easy to do and made the exit flow naturally. Instead, it was left unfinished as of May.

I had a cousin from Chicago take that route this winter after visiting their son at IU. They left Bloomington on their way to Florida via our house in heavy snow. They mentioned the construction and the entrance to I-69 as being difficult with snow on the road.

If everyone is correct, that sounds resolved.

It was pretty simple. As you got to the place to continue on 37 to Bedford on the right, or take the exit to I-69 and Evansville on the left, there are/were barricades that required you make a quick turn to the left to get on I-69. The 2 lanes once you the got on the ramp had been open since it opened. The left lane on 37 exiting onto the ramp was closed leaving only the common lane that you used to take either exit. The placement of the barricades left less time to cross over and make the exit. Opening an extra 50 - 100 yards of 37 would have been easy to do and made the exit flow naturally. Instead, it was left unfinished as of May.

I had a cousin from Chicago take that route this winter after visiting their son at IU. They left Bloomington on their way to Florida via our house in heavy snow. They mentioned the construction and the entrance to I-69 as being difficult with snow on the road.

If everyone is correct, that sounds resolved.
Still don't know. I took that exit dozens of times throughout construction, including a day or two after you described it before and, even when I tried to see what you were describing, I didn't see it. I never had that problem. Construction zones have lane shifts and restrictions. Maybe it just didn't bother me. Maybe you were going too fast. Dunno. At any rate, it's not a problem now.

A deal was put in place that Glass announced today that all 4 lanes will be open during games as they finish up after he appealed to the governor. They are almost done and will be in the next couple weeks (exact date will be announced in next couple days but expect 2-3 weeks from now) and then 4 lanes will be open the whole time and 'substantial completion' will have been achieved.

I just want to be clear. Work will continue and there will be construction for a couple more months (as I indicated all along) but 4 lanes will be open and all interchanges will be done. This happened for several months on US 31 but it was not bad at all once 'substantial completion' was obtained as work continued.

Your traffic nightmares driving to games though are over for good (I am including section 6 construction when I say this as for that you can take 37 to 67 to Indy with no additional timed added and 4 lanes the whole way).

A deal was put in place that Glass announced today that all 4 lanes will be open during games as they finish up after he appealed to the governor. They are almost done and will be in the next couple weeks (exact date will be announced in next couple days but expect 2-3 weeks from now) and then 4 lanes will be open the whole time and 'substantial completion' will have been achieved.

I just want to be clear. Work will continue and there will be construction for a couple more months (as I indicated all along) but 4 lanes will be open and all interchanges will be done. This happened for several months on US 31 but it was not bad at all once 'substantial completion' was obtained as work continued.

Your traffic nightmares driving to games though are over for good (I am including section 6 construction when I say this as for that you can take 37 to 67 to Indy with no additional timed added and 4 lanes the whole way).

hate to burst your bubble, but with all added trucking that hit when Btown to Eville 69 was complete, plus all the traffic that normally would have taken 37 between Indy and Mville, once Mville to Indy construction starts, even taking 67 is going to be a mess.

and very iffy if 465 to Mville section will be complete before flying cars hit big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT