ADVERTISEMENT

What idiot is managing the I-69 section through Btown?

hate to burst your bubble, but with all added trucking that hit when Btown to Eville 69 was complete, plus all the traffic that normally would have taken 37 between Indy and Mville, once Mville to Indy construction starts, even taking 67 is going to be a mess.

and very iffy if 465 to Mville section will be complete before flying cars hit big.

Sep 14th confirmed for 'substantial completion' with 2 lanes open each way on weekends to accommodate Labor Day and game next weekend. Basically 9 more days of major work and lane closures. Hang in there. I drove the route today for first time in months and easily looks like 2 weeks is realistic.

Remember 'substantial completion' means 2 lanes open in each direction and interchanges open while smaller work continues through rest of year but delays should be minimal.

As for 67 it will not be terrible with the extra traffic once section 6 starts. One can also go 39 to 70 which has no traffic and only adds about 5 minutes or 67 to 267 to 70 which adds also 5 minutes if 67 gets backed up during peak hours.

Section 6 will be annoying but if anything thinks it will cause more than 5-10 minutes delays using the routes above you're just paranoid. It will be nothing like section 5 where you either had to go 30 minutes out of way through Spencer or Nashville or sit in traffic for over 30 minutes.

The days of major delays driving to games are over.

Reactions: Rock1820
INDOT needs to widen SR 39 to four lanes between SRs 67 and 37. That road gets a lot of traffic right now so you can imagine how bad it will be once I-69 construction starts.

INDOT needs to widen SR 39 to four lanes between SRs 67 and 37. That road gets a lot of traffic right now so you can imagine how bad it will be once I-69 construction starts.
Not so fast. That SR39 and 37/69 interchange is going to have to be totally rebuilt. Using 39 to jump between 67 and 37/69 isn't going to be easy for an extended period, I'm sure.

I will get to see how much progress has been made since May when I come up this weekend. My expectations are low, but I would like to see no construction barrels between God's Highway and the exit off 37 to the stadium.

I will get to see how much progress has been made since May when I come up this weekend. My expectations are low, but I would like to see no construction barrels between God's Highway and the exit off 37 to the stadium.
You'll see barrels, but they shouldn't be blocking any travel lanes.

All six lanes are open up to Kinser Pike. North of town is where the work still has to be done, but two lanes will be open in each direction on gamedays so getting to Bloomington won’t be a problem.

Last edited:
Not so fast. That SR39 and 37/69 interchange is going to have to be totally rebuilt. Using 39 to jump between 67 and 37/69 isn't going to be easy for an extended period, I'm sure.
That assumes that the current roadways are kept and modified. There is a lot of open land south of 39 which may or may not be available for construction of a new 39, in which case the current roads could still be available until completion of the new ones. We shall see. Unfortunately, so far it appears that if there is an inconvenient way to do things our government representatives at all levels will find it.

Reactions: 76-1
Just drove it yesterday finally and they are basically done. 1-2 more weeks of lane restrictions to finish up paving (substantial completion and it looks like they are that close to being done) and than just side work till end of year just like INDOT said from beginning which will have no affect on traffic flow just like US 31 did not for final 6 months of project. Even the interchanges are done and the signs are complete and say 69/37 (with the 69 covered up for a couple more weeks) to Evansville.

Literally INDOT and Glass have told you for several weeks that 2-3 weeks of work in September due to rain with lane restrictions during the week removed for games. I found it hilarious when people like JMV on radio were reporting cones being removed each of last 2 weekends when literally everyone has said this is what would happen for part of September.

The Problem from the beginning was Pence would not dump the Isolux contractor in the public private partnership from the moment they stopped paying contractors and wasted a year. This was despite pleas from everyone around him to fire them right away. Once Holcomb got in office (and I am not a total Holcomb fan) he listened and cleaned it up and finally did what should of been done a year earlier with the contract termination. Since the state took it over things have been so much better and it has been much easier to work with them and things have gone pretty much as planned (save for the last 2-3 week delay) as state said moment they took it over that Aug 31 2018 was "substantial completion" with side work till December 2018. The above is per a combination of my friend who I have talked about who is close with INDOT people (the Pence to Holcomb part), a person in IU athletics I know (much easier to work with) and a person my dad knows who is a construction worker on the project (we have been getting paid and things are more transparent since state took over).

Reactions: IUgradman
Just drove it yesterday finally and they are basically done. 1-2 more weeks of lane restrictions to finish up paving (substantial completion and it looks like they are that close to being done) and than just side work till end of year just like INDOT said from beginning which will have no affect on traffic flow just like US 31 did not for final 6 months of project. Even the interchanges are done and the signs are complete and say 69/37 (with the 69 covered up for a couple more weeks) to Evansville.

Literally INDOT and Glass have told you for several weeks that 2-3 weeks of work in September due to rain with lane restrictions during the week removed for games. I found it hilarious when people like JMV on radio were reporting cones being removed each of last 2 weekends when literally everyone has said this is what would happen for part of September.

The Problem from the beginning was Pence would not dump the Isolux contractor in the public private partnership from the moment they stopped paying contractors and wasted a year. This was despite pleas from everyone around him to fire them right away. Once Holcomb got in office (and I am not a total Holcomb fan) he listened and cleaned it up and finally did what should of been done a year earlier with the contract termination. Since the state took it over things have been so much better and it has been much easier to work with them and things have gone pretty much as planned (save for the last 2-3 week delay) as state said moment they took it over that Aug 31 2018 was "substantial completion" with side work till December 2018. The above is per a combination of my friend who I have talked about who is close with INDOT people (the Pence to Holcomb part), a person in IU athletics I know (much easier to work with) and a person my dad knows who is a construction worker on the project (we have been getting paid and things are more transparent since state took over).

If they want to impress me, they need to get the Martinsville to Indy leg done early.

The blame game doesn’t get a single inch of road built. In fact, every second spent blaming folks is a second that should have been spent doing something else.

My hate for politics and partisanship grows by the second.

Update: I drove all of section 5 today. It has reached substantial completion with no further lane restrictions and all 3 lane open from Fullerton to Walnut on North side of town. It is even called "I-69" now in that stretch on the signs on the road and the interchanges.

From Walnut to Martinsville they are finishing up paving and will be done at end of week and than full substantial completion will be achieved. They were working in the closed lane the entire time I drove on both sides and weather will be nice all week for them to finish up.

The article actually does give an estimate of 'a couple weeks". They just don't want to give a date. I don't know if they will meet it but there definitely is an estimate in the article. Its not that they are so far behind they have no idea.

It’s ridiculous. What happened to push the substantial completion date back by an additional two months? We haven’t had that much rain. I drove on the road today and they have an entire lane blocked off with NO work being done on it.

It’s ridiculous. What happened to push the substantial completion date back by an additional two months? We haven’t had that much rain. I drove on the road today and they have an entire lane blocked off with NO work being done on it.
I find it strange they have orange barrels along sections that appear to be completed. Maybe there is some minor shoulder details they need to complete? My advice is complete the small stuff so you can focus your efforts and manpower instead of spreading it out over the entire distance of the project.

"the check is in the mail".

Update: I drove all of section 5 today. It has reached substantial completion with no further lane restrictions and all 3 lane open from Fullerton to Walnut on North side of town. It is even called "I-69" now in that stretch on the signs on the road and the interchanges.

From Walnut to Martinsville they are finishing up paving and will be done at end of week and than full substantial completion will be achieved. They were working in the closed lane the entire time I drove on both sides and weather will be nice all week for them to finish up.

there were exactly zero stop lights between Mville and Btown.

total travel time saved when complete, 0-30 seconds maybe.

that's certainly worth how many yrs of construction hell.

had they just done maybe 4-5 miles of Mville itself first instead, they would have eliminated 5 stop lights instead of zero.

forget the 37 route option between Mville and 465.

that will give a completion date 2375.

go new terrain between Mville and 465 and save 350 yrs of construction hell, on top of which 37 will still be an 2nd option between 465 and Mville for all those living in that area.

at least go new terrain and meet up with 37 a mile south of Southport Rd

I find it strange they have orange barrels along sections that appear to be completed. Maybe there is some minor shoulder details they need to complete? My advice is complete the small stuff so you can focus your efforts and manpower instead of spreading it out over the entire distance of the project.
It’s so hard to time stuff. Last week I drove through and two lanes were open. Then going to Indy last night, suddenly back to one lane all the way. Don’t understand why it always seems to be all or nothing. If I never see an orange barrel again it will be too soon.

there were exactly zero stop lights between Mville and Btown.

total travel time saved when complete, 0-30 seconds maybe.

that's certainly worth how many yrs of construction hell.

had they just done maybe 4-5 miles of Mville itself first instead, they would have eliminated 5 stop lights instead of zero.

forget the 37 route option between Mville and 465.

that will give a completion date 2375.

go new terrain between Mville and 465 and save 350 yrs of construction hell, on top of which 37 will still be an 2nd option between 465 and Mville for all those living in that area.

at least go new terrain and meet up with 37 a mile south of Southport Rd
I was on 37 last Monday and Tuesday. To be honest I have two choices on seeing an IU game this year. One is on the 1st of December which is Northwestern at IU. The second is IU at Penn State on December 4th. I am seriously thinking about going to the Penn State game due to the construction. It's very sad because I absolutely love Assembly Hall. I get chills when I walk in the place.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
It's official. My wife and I are going to the Penn State game. We've ordered our tickets and got some really good seats for $32 each. My youngest daughter is dating a fellow who graduated from Penn State this year and they said to eat at Primantis. Anybody ever eat there? What are your thoughts?

It's official. My wife and I are going to the Penn State game. We've ordered our tickets and got some really good seats for $32 each. My youngest daughter is dating a fellow who graduated from Penn State this year and they said to eat at Primantis. Anybody ever eat there? What are your thoughts?

Hard game to win

Primanti Bros. is good sandwiches

Reactions: snowling
*11/02/2018* (today)

Let me know if they're able to actually "complete" it by the end of this year...

Last edited:
Read the original article you posted. It's not done.

I read it. There will be isolated lane closures through November (they have to be done by then or come back in spring as you cannot do construction in winter so there will be no lane closures starting in December).

I'll take it and enjoy driving 70 mph to games this year with no delays and most people are pretty happy and realize its basically done now.

You can continue to pout but the rest of us will enjoy driving it in its current state of being all but done.

I read it. There will be isolated lane closures through November (they have to be done by then or come back in spring as you cannot do construction in winter so there will be no lane closures starting in December).

I'll take it and enjoy driving 70 mph to games this year with no delays and most people are pretty happy and realize its basically done now.

You can continue to pout but the rest of us will enjoy driving it in its current state of being all but done.

No pouting here. Just calling BS on your continued "completed by August" nonsense...

You're what, 4 months late and they still aren't done. In that last post you're talking about spring now. Pathetic effort on the part of INDOT really doesn't begin to cover it.

I drove it Thursday and there were still some one lane sections.

No pouting here. Just calling BS on your continued "completed by August" nonsense...

You're what, 4 months late and they still aren't done. In that last post you're talking about spring now. Pathetic effort on the part of INDOT really doesn't begin to cover it.

I said if they don't finish in Nov. they would have to come back in spring as you cannot work in the winter. This will not happen as it would cost INDOT Millions.

I have not been able to get a straight answer on the August 31 to Oct. 31 delay from INDOT through my friend and wholeheartedly agree that this piece of it is "pathetic" as you said and INDOT has been a VERY dishonest here on the 2 month delay (not 4 months).

With that said now it is done and starting Monday you can drive 70 MPH. Enjoy. Maybe if you drove it like I have you would realize its basically done now and the delays are gone.

Last edited:
Just drove it and basically one lane all the way from Sample Road to almost Martinsville and not much work going on. Just plenty of orange barrels in the middle of the road. What the hell?

"Manning said I-69 construction will be fully completed by 2024."

And, they're on the clock. I'm guessing it will be long after I'm pushing dandelions.
Maybe they will have picked up all the orange barrels on the side of the road through Bloomington by 2024. Either that or UV rays will reduce them to powder. Are they leaving them for people to take home for a souvenir? At least they aren't in the way, but blocking off a lane sounds like something a bunch of kids would do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT