ADVERTISEMENT

What have you done for a fun getaway or retreat during the CV pandemic?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
besides masturbation I mean? If I was in IN, I'd have been hunting morels earlier this spring. Saturday I'm going to run down to Landsford Canal State Park in SC and see if the Rocky Shoal Spider Lilies are blooming. They grow up right out of the rocky bed of the river and create huge fields of gorgeous large white flowers right in the river. They don't grow in very many locations and this is supposed to be the largest grouping in the world. Pretty cool. Really neat when you can get out and paddle among them in a canoe or kayak. Hoping the high water this year hasn't bowled them over too much. They bloom mid-May to Mid-June.

sc_parks_photo_lilies_with_canoe_lg-128.jpg

1200px-Cahaba_Lily.jpg

Rocky-Shoals-Water-Lilies-and-Kayak.jpg

Catawba-River-23.jpg

PS. this posting felt incomplete to me, and I didn't want to disappoint my loyal followers and fellow pervs! This was as close as I could get to bewbs and lilies:

-WvENkXls_dFDF8P-yfbB_pPM1uLBFdQWdJJkVb84i0.png

Last edited:

Yep, looks to be the same. I've been told they grow in the Southeast, mostly in sections of rivers that have rocky shallow (rocky shoal spider lily, duh!) sections, in a swath from SC to Alabama. So FL wouldn't be that far off that path, although I don't think of most FL rivers as being rocky and shallow. Be interesting to see where they grow in FL, guessing N FL? Have you seen them? They really are stunning because the flowers are so large and white and the plants are tall.

Visitors? Spill it.

I live in a condo. Technically the security guards aren't supposed to let people in the past couple of months during the lockdown. But when everyone is wearing a masks... how can they tell when they just casually walk in with me?
wink.gif

Natural law-breaker. That's how I roll!

Reactions: kkott
The family is going white-water rafting this weekend on the New River in WV. Camping overnight on the river. Beer involved. Should be good.

Here’s what they told us in “training” for 10 minutes on the water before we hit the first Class 4.

“If you get pinned against a rock under water, take off your life jacket.

It won’t save you, but it will let us use the life jacket again the next day.”

I felt near death all day, then bought the video of our trip and saw that our raft looked like a bobber in a bathtub.

Have fun.

Here’s what they told us in “training” for 10 minutes on the water before we hit the first Class 4.

“If you get pinned against a rock under water, take off your life jacket.

It won’t save you, but it will let us use the life jacket again the next day.”

I felt near death all day, then bought the video of our trip and saw that our raft looked like a bobber in a bathtub.

Have fun.

lol.gif
lol.gif

I went down the Colorado River in a raft. The instructor told us to wear pampers before getting on -- supposed to hit one or two Class 5 rapids. The funny thing was he was the only one who fell out.
It was exhilarating though.

lol.gif
lol.gif

I went down the Colorado River in a raft. The instructor told us to wear pampers before getting on -- supposed to hit one or two Class 5 rapids. The funny thing was he was the only one who fell out.

The best tasting meal I ever ate was a bunch of "slaw dogs" our outfitter bought us at a church fund raiser on a country road on the way back from the river.

Everything is better after a perceived near-death experience.

lol.gif
lol.gif

In big water, the guides are often at the most risk because they're moving around and focused on everyone else. I've had them in the water multiple times and another time a guy got a really nasty cut in the head from getting hit by the bailing bucket.

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
In big water, the guides are often at the most risk because they're moving around and focused on everyone else. I've had them in the water multiple times and another time a guy got a really nasty cut from getting hit by the bailing bucket.

I have only done white waters four times in my life -- couple of times in a raft. I grew up kayaking but relatively gentile waters.

The other white water experience was in Queenstown, NZ -- jet boat upriver. The drivers were crazy. I remember holding on to the rail/bar on the side of the jet boat and there was one turn where I actually moved my hand away as I thought I was about to get crushed against the boulder on the river.

They would go upriver at like 60+mph... until they crashed into some kayaks or raft and killed a few people. There is a speed restriction now.

Shotover River:

Actual footage:

I have only done white waters four times in my life -- couple of times in a raft. I grew up kayaking but relatively gentile waters.

The other white water experience was in Queenstown, NZ -- jet boat upriver. The drivers were crazy. I remember holding on to the rail/bar on the side of the jet boat and there was one turn where I actually moved my hand away as I thought I was about to get crushed against the boulder on the river.

They would go upriver at like 60+mph... until they crashed into some kayaks or raft and killed a few people. There is a speed restriction now.

Shotover River:

Actual footage:

Yeah, I'd be that kayaker! Nothing like a roaring engine to bring you closer to nature!

I've been on jet boats to fish though... pretty amazing craft and able to do stuff, there's no other way to do.

Yeah, I'd be that kayaker! Nothing like a roaring engine to bring you closer to nature!

I've been on jet boats to fish though... pretty amazing craft and able to do stuff, there's no other way to do.

Yeap. And only require like ankle-deep worth of waters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT