ADVERTISEMENT

Well, folks, it's been five years.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
You may notice that I "joined" Peegs.com exactly five years ago today. I mean, you probably wouldn't have noticed, but if you read this post, you might glance over there on the left and see that it is the case.

In truth, I've been a member for much longer, since before the move to Rivals. But five years ago today, my life changed forever when my mom called me to tell me my dad had passed away. At some point during the evening, after doing all the talking to real life people I could handled, I decided to sign on for the first time in a while and blow off some steam. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my password to work (I was also really, really drunk), so I had to create a new account. My membership date serves as a perpetual memorial.

I've got my dad's "killer chili" recipe simmering on the stove (along with some black bean queso dip that's my own invention). Uncle Goat will be here shortly. Sister Goat is bringing over some deviled eggs and a nice big bottle of Sapphire. We'll be toasting the old man with his favorite cocktail. Nothing big, just a few family members, some food, some gin and some football. I'm wearing my dad's old IU sweatshirt right now. It fits a lot better than I expected, which probably means I should get my ass on a treadmill.

Anyway, this post isn't to get any sob stories going. We've all dealt with the loss over the past five years. We do these little memorials each October simply as a way to keep good memories fresher in our heads and make sure he stays with us in spirit. But I just wanted to add, if there is an afterlife, may my dad's spirit flit down among the mortals at an opportune time and cause a Cardale Jones fumble. Amen.

You may notice that I "joined" Peegs.com exactly five years ago today. I mean, you probably wouldn't have noticed, but if you read this post, you might glance over there on the left and see that it is the case.

In truth, I've been a member for much longer, since before the move to Rivals. But five years ago today, my life changed forever when my mom called me to tell me my dad had passed away. At some point during the evening, after doing all the talking to real life people I could handled, I decided to sign on for the first time in a while and blow off some steam. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my password to work (I was also really, really drunk), so I had to create a new account. My membership date serves as a perpetual memorial.

I've got my dad's "killer chili" recipe simmering on the stove (along with some black bean queso dip that's my own invention). Uncle Goat will be hear shortly. Sister Goat is bringing over some deviled eggs and a nice big bottle of Sapphire. We'll be toasting the old man with his favorite cocktail. Nothing big, just a few family members, some food, some gin and some football. I'm wearing my dad's old IU sweatshirt right now. It fits a lot better than I expected, which probably needs I should get my ass on a treadmill.

Anyway, this post isn't to get any sob stories going. We've all dealt with the loss over the past five years. We do these little memorials each October simply as a way to keep good memories fresher in our heads and make sure he stays with us in spirit. But I just wanted to add, if there is an afterlife, may my dad's spirit flit down among the mortals at an opportune time and cause a Cardale Jones fumble. Amen.

I remember you doing uncanny tarot card readings during our 2002 run. I love fall and spring, I always become restless and want change. For me, it's always been a time to learn new things.

So what you're saying is...

jamnes-franco-gif-8.gif

I've got my dad's "killer chili" recipe simmering on the stove (along with some black bean queso dip that's my own invention). Uncle Goat will be here shortly. Sister Goat is bringing over some deviled eggs and a nice big bottle of Sapphire. We'll be toasting the old man with his favorite cocktail. Nothing big, just a few family members, some food, some gin and some football. I'm wearing my dad's old IU sweatshirt right now. It fits a lot better than I expected, which probably means I should get my ass on a treadmill.

You my ninja.

We may fight sometimes, but I'd go to war with you.

sorry dude.

props to you for the annual tribute

the day I got that call was, and will always be, the worst day of my life

Well, this is the best 1st post story I've ever heard. Cheers to your Dad and to you for carrying on his spirit. Thanks for sharing, Goat.

In truth, I've been a member for much longer, since before the move to Rivals. But five years ago today, my life changed forever when my mom called me to tell me my dad had passed away. At some point during the evening, after doing all the talking to real life people I could handled, I dthe toast with his favorite driecided to sign on for the first time in a while and blow off some steam. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my password to work (I was also really, really drunk), so I had to create a new account. My membership date serves as a perpetual memorial.

I can't say I understand what that day means as I still have both parents, but I have seen the effects of that day from my wife that lost both her parents within 14 months of each other. People think that time helps, but I know the loss is still raw for her 10+ years later and familiar places and events bring both fond and painful memories. There isn't anything that can be said that can make it better. The best thing is to listen and encourage the telling of happy memories. The toast with his favorite drink a great way for your family to pay tribute and remember those good times. I am sorry for your loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT