ADVERTISEMENT

"we just about beat everybody’s ass.”

Thank

Thanks for this and suspected something of the sort but hoped for something better that would come from someone with strong character and honor.
Hey, I once got banned on here for typing that RMK, like most coaches, always had better seasons when he had superior talent. I received a PM saying that my hatred of him was glaringly obvious.
So, there's that.

There will always be challenges. I shudder to think how the millennials will respond. Wearing pussy hats and being perpetually offended only gets you so far.

Well, we’ve asked millennials to fight never ending wars, took away their ability to organize labor unions, exposed them to adult situations at insanely young ages while not really having their parents around much, fed them opioids like candy, elected “post truth” politicians to lead them, all while making them live through the Great Recession. And now we blast them for being empathetic, sensitive, and inclusive. I’d say they are doing okay despite a lot of bullshit. Lol.

#thekidsarealright

I don’t understand why the moderator is deleting my posts. If you look at the etiology of the word pussy or plural pussies as I used it then you will find that it is a contraction of pusillanimous and has nothing to do with other uses of the word.

My post from last night in this thread got deleted too, with the message that it was “inappropriate”. No profanity, no threats, etc., but somehow the moderator found it inappropriate. I suppose just because he was offended by my opinion.

Reactions: Cavanagh
You may want to read up on who the GG was and did.

Brokaw's coinage of the term was a specific reference to WW2 veterans and those serving and born in the period 20-30 years prior - in no way a reference to American society as a whole that contemporaneously exalted racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. And by your own admission, Boomers like you created the millennials you denigrate, so if someone wasn't 'raised right' then it's on you and your forebears.

The over-generalization about youth being 'defective' has been around for as long as humanity. All this pretentiousness about being better - get over yourself. Plenty of shame/sin for those of any generation.

Lmao hardly. This generation is without question the softest generation. Whiny, self-entitled babies. If you don’t think so employ some. You will find out quickly.

That said; that they are so soft is probably a credit to how well we have done as a nation the last 50 years: no depressions, no world wars, etc.

That every generation has said that about the one prior is completely meaningless. That you act like it carries some great moment is silly. If you look at the last three generations it’s actually accurate. Each generation has had it easier than the one prior. So what. It doesn’t bear on the characteristics of millennials.... You must be very young.

Walk towards the light, Boomer. And don’t be a puss about it. Lol.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Something to also consider for the “every generation said this about the other” crowd. Those other generations evolved as they aged. These millennials? Not so much.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Something to also consider for the “every generation said this about the other” crowd. Those other generations evolved as they aged. These millennials? Not so much.

Now that's funny. Rave on.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room."- attributed to Socrates (by Plato 425 - 348 B.C.)

“Young people need models, not critics.” – John Wooden

“Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.” – J. K. Rowling

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80. Anyone who keeps learning stays young." – Henry Ford

“The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible, and achieve it, generation after generation.” – Pearl S. Buck

“Youthfulness is about how you live not when you were born.”- Karl Lagerfeld

"Don't criticize what you can't understand, your sons and your daughters are beyond your command." – Bob Dylan

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room."- attributed to Socrates (by Plato 425 - 348 B.C.)

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80. Anyone who keeps learning stays young." – Henry Ford

“The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible, and achieve it, generation after generation.” – Pearl S. Buck

"Don't criticize what you can't understand, your sons and your daughters are beyond your command." – Bob Dylan

This year millennials range from 24 to 38 years of age but they still favor quotes about young people and even children. News flash-the train is leaving the station on your youth and left long ago for your childhood. If you still have mommy and daddy command issues a la Dylan then don't forget to brush your teeth before you go to bed and pick up your room tomorrow

This year millennials range from 24 to 38 years of age but they still favor quotes about young people and even children. News flash-the train is leaving the station on your youth and left long ago for your childhood. If you still have mommy and daddy command issues a la Dylan then don't forget to brush your teeth before you go to bed and pick up your room tomorrow

You really are desperate for attention. Or maybe a cuddle. GLWT.

That's what is great about Coach Knight, f-political correctness.
Umm no. His basketball mind was great for IU. In just about every other aspect of his like he's an ass. He deserved to be fired and thank god IU didn't get stuck with Pat Knight as his replacement. That didn't go so well at TX Tech.

They would all yell and clap louder than last Tuesday when fans were yelling and clapping about Kentucky getting beat by Evansville. The fans love Coach Knight. I hope he returns someday for the fans.
Don't be so sure he'd be roundly "welcomed" by the fans. Many of us remember him trying to damage the program after he was fired and appearing at Purdue fundraisers with Keady. Great coach, not such a great person.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Don't be so sure he'd be roundly "welcomed" by the fans. Many of us remember him trying to damage the program after he was fired and appearing at Purdue fundraisers with Keady. Great coach, not such a great person.

Nice to see that the same ol’ leopards never change their spots, or is it jackals?

Reactions: Cavanagh
Brokaw's coinage of the term was a specific reference to WW2 veterans and those serving and born in the period 20-30 years prior - in no way a reference to American society as a whole that contemporaneously exalted racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. And by your own admission, Boomers like you created the millennials you denigrate, so if someone wasn't 'raised right' then it's on you and your forebears.

The over-generalization about youth being 'defective' has been around for as long as humanity. All this pretentiousness about being better - get over yourself. Plenty of shame/sin for those of any generation.

My post covered that, but sorry to offend you. Nah

Pretty random assembly of quotes. Were they supposed to support a certain point of view; or nine?

So what? Is there an evolution or even devolution? Who cares. We are talking about an isolated generation of kids. Millennials. What we said or anyone said about past generations is immaterial. Whether it relates or not is immaterial. We are talking about the traits, actions, and characteristics of a group of people living g today that many of us employ and interact with daily. You and T&T or TPM or whatever his/her name is need to stop with this stupid argument. Bc it’s really stupid.

Now, if you want to say yes they are all those things you complain of BUT YOUR generation is at fault for raising them this way....we’ll that’s a different argument to which many of us have little defense.

And it was shown that physical actions such as whipping with a belt or hand was not shown to have a long-term positive effect on the young. In fact, it may be just the opposite.

There is a difference between beating a child (irresponsibly)\ like a pos father...
And reprimanding a child with a smack\whip instilling acknowledgement of common courtesy\common morals etc...
While also having their respect for being a good person\good parent\father.
Without this... reprimanding may do no good bc theyre not going to respect rules\ideals etc from someone they dont respect))
Im no psychologist and it certainty doesnt take one to figure this out.

This is why spanking gets such a bad rep anymore. Its not always working bc the parents (esp the fathers are just as bad if not worse than the kids theyre turning out in society today)

Respecting your child, doing things with your child, being there for your child, so fourth and so on.

Youre reasoning of not reprimanding children is the reason our country is the way it is.
No real consequences .
Maybe one day if youre loved one or family member is murdered by some random gutter slush, youll feel different and think maybe, just maybe it was better to have a negative effect on them than to have no effect on them at all.

Last edited:
So what? Is there an evolution or even devolution? Who cares. We are talking about an isolated generation of kids. Millennials. What we said or anyone said about past generations is immaterial. Whether it relates or not is immaterial. We are talking about the traits, actions, and characteristics of a group of people living g today that many of us employ and interact with daily. You and T&T or TPM or whatever his/her name is need to stop with this stupid argument. Bc it’s really stupid.

Now, if you want to say yes they are all those things you complain of BUT YOUR generation is at fault for raising them this way....we’ll that’s a different argument to which many of us have little defense.

No, what's stupid is your inability to grasp the obvious concept that EVERY generation thinks the ones that come after it are inferior, and your insistence that, regardless of all facts to the contrary, this time is somehow different from the 100's of other examples. I'm sure all through history, this same argument has played out the exact same way:
Old Guys: "These youngsters are worthless."
Sensible Guys: "You old guys have always said that."
Old Guys: "Yeah, but THIS time, it's true."
Sensible Guys: "What's different this time?"
Old Guys: "Because I say so."

Of course, there are many reasons Old Guys always say this, most of which are based in fear and a need to build a reality where they are still relevant in an ever-changing world, and the best way to do that is to puff themselves up by a combination of bragging about their own struggles while at the same time, minimizing any struggles that may have come after their own (and that they may very well have created).

At least I hope this is true, because if you are right, and each generation is getting more p-word, then the human race may be doomed when all the economic, environmental, political, and cultural roosters come home to roost. I have a feeling that will be a poop show the likes of which we have not seen.

If beating children was so effective, and it worked so well, why did he ever have to do it? If everyone feared and respected authority because authority figures beat you, why did it still happen? If beating was such an effective, respected, and beloved strategy, why has it not carried over?

Seriously serious?

Bc not all kids require it...

Cool story about your kids too but I must say to you* you seem a bit "kid-privileged" procreating two children who were able to mind without not much further ado.....

Seriously serious?

Bc not all kids require it...

Cool story about your kids too but I must say to you* you seem a bit "kid-privileged" procreating two children who were able to mind without not much further ado.....

Not saying they were challenge-free. Just saying that discipline is hard work. Gaining respect and love and building positive relationships is a full-time commitment. Physical punishment and the fear of physical punishment is lazy. Kids who only mind to avoid the belt have not learned anything other than avoidance techniques. I just happen to think that's not true respect. Taking the time to teach kids right from wrong, and reinforcing those lessons 24/7 is much more time-consuming, but is way more rewarding and healthy.

No, what's stupid is your inability to grasp the obvious concept that EVERY generation thinks the ones that come after it are inferior, and your insistence that, regardless of all facts to the contrary, this time is somehow different from the 100's of other examples. I'm sure all through history, this same argument has played out the exact same way:
Old Guys: "These youngsters are worthless."
Sensible Guys: "You old guys have always said that."
Old Guys: "Yeah, but THIS time, it's true."
Sensible Guys: "What's different this time?"
Old Guys: "Because I say so."

Of course, there are many reasons Old Guys always say this, most of which are based in fear and a need to build a reality where they are still relevant in an ever-changing world, and the best way to do that is to puff themselves up by a combination of bragging about their own struggles while at the same time, minimizing any struggles that may have come after their own (and that they may very well have created).

At least I hope this is true, because if you are right, and each generation is getting more p-word, then the human race may be doomed when all the economic, environmental, political, and cultural roosters come home to roost. I have a feeling that will be a poop show the likes of which we have not seen.
We are going in circles. Every generation thinks the one before it is inferior. Got it. But my argument is that yes it’s a presupposition but that it’s ALSO true. Every generation is inferior since the great generation.

Are we doomed? Who knows. Every generation has grown weaker and more entitled. That said there has also been some amazingly ingenious people in this weaker generation. I am of course generalizing about people. But this doesn’t mean it’s inaccurate.

Youre reasoning of not reprimanding children is the reason our country is the way it is.

And here I thought it was mostly the doing of Fortune 500 companies and ultra-wealthy oligarchs with their influence peddling and legions of lawyers & lobbyists co-opting governance. Who knew?

Kids who only mind to avoid the belt have not learned anything other than avoidance techniques. I just happen to think that's not true respect.

They either respect\trust the parent or they dont.

If the parent is a good* parent, a loving caring, parent. Then they will "truly" respect them.

"Who cares, Isolated, immaterial"? You bucking to be the poster child for arbitrary and capricious? Could be your problem/beef is they're smarter than you are. Am sure I have no idea, past caring.

There is a difference between beating a child (irresponsibly)\ like a pos father...
And reprimanding a child with a smack\whip instilling acknowledgement of common courtesy\common morals etc...
While also having their respect for being a good person\good parent\father.
Without this... reprimanding may do no good bc theyre not going to respect rules\ideals etc from someone they dont respect))
Im no psychologist and it certainty doesnt take one to figure this out.

This is why spanking gets such a bad rep anymore. Its not always working bc the parents (esp the fathers are just as bad if not worse than the kids theyre turning out in society today)

Respecting your child, doing things with your child, being there for your child, so fourth and so on.

No real consequences .
Maybe one day if youre loved one or family member is murdered by some random gutter slush, youll feel different and think maybe, just maybe it was better to have a negative effect on them than to have no effect on them at all.
Ah, some people think that not spanking (or beating) a child is not reprimanding. I do not understand where one would get such an idea.

The most important things are to let the child know about the actions and how they are to become different in the future. Tell them what is expected and require it.

Some say whip or spank to get it corrected. Others say one does not need to whip or spank to get it corrected.

To equate no corrective action with not spanking is not correct.

Why not look into alternatives, with the intent to understand?

And to equate not spanking to how the country is today does not follow. One could argue that the reason that the country is the way it is today is that people do not listen and respond with empathy. That does not mean that other people with different perspectives or different beliefs must agree. It means try to understand why that person has a different opinion. We all are people with families with different ways of doing things and different reasons for doing them.

Some believe that whipping takes reasoning off of the table.

And discipline does not always have to include whipping. And if it doesn't always...then why not seek alternatives most of the time? And if you can avoid spanking most of the time..jeez, maybe you could find alternatives and correct the behavior another way.

If RMK shows up in The Hall, it will literally shake, the cheers will be so loud. It will be the headline on every network.

And you will be cowering in a corner, hoping that no one notices you should have worn a Depends.

Be gone, nebbish.

Why not look into alternatives, with the intent to understand?

Not all children require the same. But some absolutely do require it.

To be blunt.
If you cant see this youre part of the problem.

One could argue that the reason that the country is the way it is today is that people do not listen and respond with empathy.

Many ppl want empathy for not acting right in the first place.
It doesnt work like that

We are going in circles. Every generation thinks the one before it is inferior. Got it. But my argument is that yes it’s a presupposition but that it’s ALSO true. Every generation is inferior since the great generation.

Are we doomed? Who knows. Every generation has grown weaker and more entitled. That said there has also been some amazingly ingenious people in this weaker generation. I am of course generalizing about people. But this doesn’t mean it’s inaccurate.

Thank you for a thoughtful response which was more polite than mine. Since I think this is a matter of perception, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Not all children require the same. But some absolutely do require it.

To be blunt.
If you cant see this youre part of the problem.

Many ppl want empathy for not acting right in the first place.
It doesnt work like that

I understand that posting a rebuttal about the position for using spanking on children is likely futile. It's too bad for all. It is not good for children and it is likely to have a negative affect on our society as a whole. And those who think spanking is correct see just the opposite.

This link is just one of many that rebuts the position that spanking is a correct way to change behavior and nurture a child.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/insight-therapy/201802/the-spanking-debate-is-over

It has good points: Not one study has ever been found that supports use of spanking; spanking may suppress bad behavior temporarily but doesn't teach right from wrong decision making; it may encourage the belief that violence is an acceptable response to any disagreement; and it may be culturally based upon a belief that threats and punishment is good behavior and training rather than positive reinforcement...but that has been proven in error.

But don't read the rebuttal linked. Go ahead and post more prejudiced opinions based upon anecdotal gaslighting.

Sorry but after
I understand that posting a rebuttal about the position for using spanking on children is likely futile. It's too bad for all. It is not good for children and it is likely to have a negative affect on our society as a whole. And those who think spanking is correct see just the opposite.

This link is just one of many that rebuts the position that spanking is a correct way to change behavior and nurture a child.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/insight-therapy/201802/the-spanking-debate-is-over

It has good points: Not one study has ever been found that supports use of spanking; spanking may suppress bad behavior temporarily but doesn't teach right from wrong decision making; it may encourage the belief that violence is an acceptable response to any disagreement; and it may be culturally based upon a belief that threats and punishment is good behavior and training rather than positive reinforcement...but that has been proven in error.

But don't read the rebuttal linked. Go ahead and post more prejudiced opinions based upon anecdotal gaslighting.
After maybe a trillion dollars in research and psychology degrees mental health is the same or even worse than its ever been. If you think the millenials raised on the advice of all the psych do not spank experts are healthier and more competent adults then i am surprised and you are in the minority. All of these expert opinions are more bias then science and actually some studies have shown that an occasional whack on the butt can be positive for development.

Reactions: Cavanagh and ufo33
Sorry but after

After maybe a trillion dollars in research and psychology degrees mental health is the same or even worse than its ever been. If you think the millenials raised on the advice of all the psych do not spank experts are healthier and more competent adults then i am surprised and you are in the minority. All of these expert opinions are more bias then science and actually some studies have shown that an occasional whack on the butt can be positive for development.

By what metric is mental health worse than ever?

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Sorry but after

One could almost substitute flat earth for spanking in your post, and you would have the main stance of the idiots against a round earth.

BTW, please link some of the studies you reference. I assume they are peer edited.

By what metric is mental health worse than ever?
People often confuse more reported cases due to better diagnosis with an increase in overall instances.

This goes for any medical diagnosis, mental or otherwise. Autism, for example, was first used as a diagnosis in 1943. Does that mean that no one had autism before then? Nope, it was just diagnosed as something else if at all.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
All of these expert opinions are more bias then science and actually some studies have shown that an occasional whack on the butt can be positive for development.

Says you who couldn't even define science without looking it up.

Fox Noose wants their talking points back.

These studies stack the deck with like minded experts to try and convince
Says you who couldn't even define science without looking it up.

Fox Noose wants their talking points

One could almost substitute flat earth for spanking in your post, and you would have the main stance of the idiots against a round earth.

BTW, please link some of the studies you reference. I assume they are peer edited.
How about the study of observation? I trust that.

These studies stack the deck with like minded experts to try and convince

8wRq3AgggbXphqRxapGWbZ-320-80.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT