ADVERTISEMENT

"we just about beat everybody’s ass.”

No basement for me, I spend a good part of my time outdoors. Your buddy on the other hand..... you know what is going on down there. Wife beater boy has a special room he plays dress up in.

You're projecting. Neurotically so. Time to get back outdoors.

Still waiting for that research into the benefits of corporal punishment.
Why are there prisons and death penalties then? Why do cops have the authority to man handle a suspect if they do not obey orders, or shoot them if they fail to halt on the officer's command? Because we have to obey the law or the officers commands or face punishment. Kids that laugh at authority as kids grow up with no respect for authority, and no fear of authority because growing up the punishment was so light it did not deter their behavior. Some kids respond to reflection, and a warning on what is right and wrong, and some kids need a more stern warning or a paddling to get the message across to change their behavior. Overall less effective deterrents have been used in the last generation of kids, which has led to a lack of respect for authority.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Why are there prisons and death penalties then? Why do cops have the authority to man handle a suspect if they do not obey orders, or shoot them if they fail to halt on the officer's command? Because we have to obey the law or the officers commands or face punishment. Kids that laugh at authority as kids grow up with no respect for authority, and no fear of authority because growing up the punishment was so light it did not deter their behavior. Some kids respond to reflection, and a warning on what is right and wrong, and some kids need a more stern warning or a paddling to get the message across to change their behavior. Overall less effective deterrents have been used in the last generation of kids, which has led to a lack of respect for authority.

You can lecture ppl and or kids all you want too a certain extent, trying to "empathize" with their reasoning. But if you take away such ultimate consequences its NOT going to be the same deterrent .

This is all such common sense its mind boggling this is even a question.

Some of these posters must be the parents who bring their screaming brats out to a nice restaurant and ruin some person(s) nice evening out which may be their only one-night-out, nice experience for the month.. Selfish & inconsiderate, and yet have the audacity to lecture others about "empathizing".

Reactions: ufo33
Still waiting on that research that corporal punishment is effective on children.

You can lecture ppl and or kids all you want too a certain extent, trying to "empathize" with their reasoning. But if you take away such ultimate consequences its NOT going to be the same deterrent .

This is all such common sense its mind boggling this is even a question.

Some of these posters must be the parents who bring their screaming brats out to a nice restaurant and ruin some person(s) nice evening out which may be their only one-night-out, nice experience for the month.. Selfish & inconsiderate, and yet have the audacity to lecture others about "empathizing".
You are correct.

Kids that laugh at authority as kids grow up with no respect for authority, and no fear of authority because growing up the punishment was so light it did not deter their behavior.

If you imagine that with the number of unarmed teenagers shot by police each year in this country that the young have no fear of authority then you're dumber than you sound. Just stop.

Still waiting on that research that corporal punishment is effective on children.
You are a broken record.
Every time that I visit a store or go out to eat in public where there are misbehaved children and parents that pitifully warn them with all of the "Studies techniques" and none of them work, reminds me that you can completely disregard any study that says the current weak discipline methods that don't work are better than the older methods used for generations to effectively curb child misbehaviors. My direct observations weigh heavier than any study that says otherwise.
I did not see this during my generation.
Why?
The discipline methods changed for the worse.

You are a broken record.
Every time that I visit a store or go out to eat in public where there are misbehaved children and parents that pitifully warn them with all of the "Studies techniques" and none of them work, reminds me that you can completely disregard any study that says the current weak discipline methods that don't work are better than the older methods used for generations to effectively curb child misbehaviors. My direct observations weigh heavier than any study that says otherwise.
I did not see this during my generation.
Why?
The discipline methods changed for the worse.
Study that.

Shorter ufo: I have nothing but limited anecdotal instances from my tiny sphere of existence.

(Hint - what you probably are witnessing is parenting that is just as lazy as hitting the children...and just as destructive.)

Reactions: Cutter1973
Shorter ufo: I have nothing but limited anecdotal instances from my tiny sphere of existence.

(Hint - what you probably are witnessing is parenting that is just as lazy as hitting the children...and just as destructive.)
Olive Branch - We will have to agree to disagree.
Spanking is not "Hitting Children".
I feel that NOT spanking children or grabbing them by the arm to immediate halt their behavior, primarily used on young children when they first attempt to disobey their parents or teachers, is a case of being lazy parents.
Parents who today try to be their kids best friend while growing up vs being a parent in authority is being a lazy parent, in my opinion.
If parents don't curb bratty behavior young, then the children get emboldiened by the parent's inaction and weak discipline methods and grow up with this in their minds and continue to disrespect authority as teens and young adults.
A generation ago, my father was a strict disciplinarian to me as a young child, but my best friend as an adult.
That was my example of how discipline should work, it created well behaved young men, who feared and respected authority.

Olive Branch - We will have to agree to disagree.
Spanking is not "Hitting Children".
I feel that NOT spanking children or grabbing them by the arm to immediate halt their behavior, primarily used on young children when they first attempt to disobey their parents or teachers, is a case of being lazy parents.
Parents who today try to be their kids best friend while growing up vs being a parent in authority is being a lazy parent, in my opinion.
If parents don't curb bratty behavior young, then the children get emboldiened by the parent's inaction and weak discipline methods and grow up with this in their minds and continue to disrespect authority as teens and young adults.
A generation ago, my father was a strict disciplinarian to me as a young child, but my best friend as an adult.
That was my example of how discipline should work, it created well behaved young men, who feared and respected authority.

"Spanking" does not equal authority. Being a parent equals authority. Use that authority so that spanking (which is hitting, no matter what you say), is not needed.

Still waiting for that research into the benefits of corporal punishment.
Here are peer reviewed journal articles that find best results when spanking is used wisely as one parenting technique. If you wanted to find these you could very very easily find them yourself instead of demanding someone do it for you.

Roberts MW & Powers SW. Adjusting chair timeout enforcement procedures for oppositional children. Behavioral Therapy. 1990;21:257-271.

[ii]. Bean AW & Roberts MW. The effect of timeout release contingencies on changes in child noncompliance. J Abn Child Psych. 1981;9:95-105

[iii]. Day DE & Roberts MW. An analysis of the physical punishment component of a parent training program. J Abn Child Psychol. 1983;11:141-152.

[iv]. Forehand RL & McMahon RJ. Helping the noncompliant child. 1981;pp 79-80. New York:Guilford Press.

[v] Guarendi R. Back to the Family. 1990;215-222. New York: Simon & Schuster.

[vi] Tennant FS, Jr., Detels R, & Clark V. Some childhood antecedents of drug and alcohol abuse. American Journal of Epidemiology. 1975

After wasting an hour of my life reading this thread..

basically either you agree spanking kids is good for discipline. Or it isnt.

no matter your beliefs, reality is the discussions in this thread WONT CHANGE YOUR MIND EITHER WAY.

@MODS MODS CAN WE PLEASE LOCK THIS DISCUSSION.

no matter your beliefs, reality is the discussions in this thread WONT CHANGE YOUR MIND EITHER WAY.

Here are peer reviewed journal articles that find best results when spanking is used wisely as one parenting technique. If you wanted to find these you could very very easily find them yourself instead of demanding someone do it for you.

Roberts MW & Powers SW. Adjusting chair timeout enforcement procedures for oppositional children. Behavioral Therapy. 1990;21:257-271.

[ii]. Bean AW & Roberts MW. The effect of timeout release contingencies on changes in child noncompliance. J Abn Child Psych. 1981;9:95-105

[iii]. Day DE & Roberts MW. An analysis of the physical punishment component of a parent training program. J Abn Child Psychol. 1983;11:141-152.

[iv]. Forehand RL & McMahon RJ. Helping the noncompliant child. 1981;pp 79-80. New York:Guilford Press.

[v] Guarendi R. Back to the Family. 1990;215-222. New York: Simon & Schuster.

[vi] Tennant FS, Jr., Detels R, & Clark V. Some childhood antecedents of drug and alcohol abuse. American Journal of Epidemiology. 1975

Hysterical. And incomparably lame. Every one of those citations/studies is 30-40 years old - basically fossils in the field of behavioral studies. I can't tell if that signifies stupidity or desperation on your part, but things have changed just a bit since then though I reckon nostalgia for the Dark Ages might make that hard to accept.

Any rational person would find it telling that you couldn't locate a single contemporary study supporting your position. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hysterical. And incomparably lame. Every one of those citations/studies is 30-40 years old - basically fossils in the field of behavioral studies. I can't tell if that signifies stupidity or desperation on your part, but things have changed just a bit since then though I reckon nostalgia for the Dark Ages might make that hard to accept.

Any rationale person would find it telling that you couldn't locate a single contemporary study supporting your position. Cheers.
Bingo. 30-40 years ago there wasnt high rates of death due to alcohol, drugs, and suicide as there is now amongst millennials.

Any rationale person would find it telling that you couldn't locate a single contemporary study supporting your position. Cheers.
i already provided the statistics that overall mental health has worsened over the past 30 years not gotten better

I never understand what motivates posts like this. Jeez-the only person responsible for you reading the thread was you. If you don't like this thread then don't open it.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

Your posts are so low on content. Derogatory comments and a few lines of blather is the usual.

Also-it’s rational person and not rationale person. The Dark Ages is generally considered from the fifth to the fourteenth century. I personally don't know of any spanking studies from those years-sorry.

Just out of curiosity-can you ban yourself?

Last edited:
weekend-morning-awesomeness-35-photos-9-1.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT