ADVERTISEMENT

We have Five 5s on our squad.

Yep, they've played great and played a good schedule. But, I don't see depth at 2 key positions: center and PG. If a team can neutralize Edey or he gets sick or injured, I think their team and fortunes look very different. Same for PG. I think they're in a little better shape there, but I also think they'll be more inconsistent there when they get into the B10. Don't forget at this time last year, they were #1 in the country, and still didn't win the B10.
I would say they are similar to us in front court depth.
We go: TJD, Race, Malik, in our rotation. Plus a 6’6 Geronimo.
They go Edey, Furst, Kaufman, Waddell and then 6’6 Gillis

Mike Woodson constructed this roster why he didn't let Race go and recruit or bring in a stretch four I have no idea. Also for the time being I put Kopp at the 4 and move Race to bench and sub him and let him play 5 when TJD is resting.

I would say they are similar to us in front court depth.
We go: TJD, Race, Malik, in our rotation. Plus a 6’6 Geronimo.
They go Edey, Furst, Kaufman, Waddell and then 6’6 Gillis
I guess from descriptions (and how he was recruited to PU) I don't think of Kaufman as a post guy and surprised to see them listing Furst at 6'10"... I thought he was 6'8" when we were recruiting him and some suggested he wasn't that big. I think of him as similar to Race in size, but I guess you can play them as undersized posts. Waddell is listed at 185 and 6'8"... not exactly a post presence either. I guess my point is, they lose their size advantage without Edey; when he's not on the floor, they're no bigger than any "typical" Big 10 team. I'd attack him and BS, and if they lose either of those 2, I think they become less formidable.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Mike Woodson constructed this roster why he didn't let Race go and recruit or bring in a stretch four I have no idea. Also for the time being I put Kopp at the 4 and move Race to bench and sub him and let him play 5 when TJD is resting.
Coach said we lost because we got out-rebounded. Moving Kopp to the 4 would worsen our rebounding.

Rutgers came out physical as hell and IU was just not ready for it. It's been awhile and I think the team forgot how to tackle, bump, push, and slap effectively ..
Maybe, but, TJD, Race, XJ and Kopp all know what's coming @ Rutgers. It's gonna be a street fight. I do think not having JHS was a big deal, as I think he has a toughness to him. The guy I'm most disappointed in is Race. I don't know what's happened to him, but he seems to have regressed to me. I always thought of him as a great hustle guy who was a pretty good defender for his size, was good on the glass and could get you some garbage baskets. But, Nance from UNC and the one guy from Rutgers seemed to light up and take it right at him when he was covering them and they scored on him repeatedly. I think it's time to start MR and let Race watch from the bench and the coach needs to have a sit down with both of them to explain what's going on, which I'd position as nothing necessarily permanent, but I'm trying to shake up the roster to get us playing better and tougher.

Last edited:
Maybe, but, TJD, Race, XJ and Kopp all know what's coming @ Rutgers. It's gonna be a street fight. I do think not having JHS was a big deal, as I think he has a toughness to him. The guy I'm most disappointed in is Race. I don't know what's happened to him, but he seems to have regressed to me. I always thought of him as a great hustle guy who was a pretty good defender for his size and could was good on the glass and could get you some garbage baskets. But, Nance from UNC and the one guy from Rutgers seemed to light up and take it right at him when he was covering them and they scored on him repeatedly. I think it's time to start MR and let Race watch from the bench and the coach needs to have a sit down with both of them to explain what's going on, which I'd position as nothing necessarily permanent, but I'm trying to shake up the roster to get us playing better and tougher.
Add Geronimo. He's playing with twice the energy of Race, which more than makes up for his mistakes.

Reactions: Middawg and kkott
Because you don't just let guys walk who are fulfilling what they are asked to do, and on top of that Race was a valuable player last year. Race has been a starter, was probably 3-4th on the team in minutes last year and seems to be good in the locker room. You think it would be OK to get rid of that level of player, just because he doesn't fit the way you want to play? At worst, you sit him down and explain how you'd like to play and give him the summer to work on his game, which I believe is what CMW did with he and JG. If they haven't developed the skills you asked them to work on, then it's reasonable to sit them more. If you want to question a roster spot, I'd say Leal is the guy who may be at a level above where he can contribute in games, but if he's OK being a team/practice guy, that's still a benefit generally on a 13 man roster.

Reactions: bawlmer
Add Geronimo. He's playing with twice the energy of Race, which more than makes up for his mistakes.
I agree, but Saturday he did get minutes and I thought was bad offensively and defensively. The only guy who I thought played well was Kopp. I don't blame Trayce because he was getting triple teamed often, but it also wasn't a great game for him. And, I think his last couple fouls were frustration and he didn't want to be on the floor losing to Rutgers again. I really thought his biggest failure Saturday was in leadership not play, his numbers weren't awful for how he was being defended. I'd give Kopp an A-, TJD a C- and everyone else a D- or F.

I guess from descriptions (and how he was recruited to PU) I don't think of Kaufman as a post guy and surprised to see them listing Furst at 6'10"... I thought he was 6'8" when we were recruiting him and some suggested he wasn't that big. I think of him as similar to Race in size, but I guess you can play them as undersized posts. Waddell is listed at 185 and 6'8"... not exactly a post presence either. I guess my point is, they lose their size advantage without Edey; when he's not on the floor, they're no bigger than any "typical" Big 10 team. I'd attack him and BS, and if they lose either of those 2, I think they become less formidable.
Just saying from a size standpoint they are similar to our depth.

B1G teams like Wisconsin, PU MSU, IL will play us exactly like we got played last night. Athletic teams like UNC and KU will play us different and press our guards. We will be much better against the latter, obviously.

They won't play that way if we have a healthy JHS in the lineup.

No disrespect to Galloway, but he's just not on the level of JHS.

TJD, Malik, Logan, Race, and even JG are all fives. None of them can play the four. That is a problem. You can’t space the floor and get any respect from D if you have 2 5s on the court. No1 is going to guard JG and race on the perimeter. Makes it way too easy to just suffocate TJD.

Kopp at the 4 might be the answer. Then play JHS X and pick between Galloway or bates. that’s what I think we see more of going forward.
I agree with all except Geronimo. I believe he had the confidence to be a modern 4 but just isn’t hitting shots (so a 5 until then I guess).

I also agree it is a big problem. Not only does it crowd the lane for TJD but also for X, JHS, Bates, and Galloway who would all be much better offensively with a true 4 out system. I think ultimately with players like Banks we get there but Woody inherited what he inherited. I hate that Race just hasn’t been able to get comfortable from 3.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Was hoping race would have moved on. His role definitely needs to be diminished so others can develop

Reactions: ndhuntington
I
I agree with all except Geronimo. I believe he had the confidence to be a modern 4 but just isn’t hitting shots (so a 5 until then I guess).

I also agree it is a big problem. Not only does it crowd the lane for TJD but also for X, JHS, Bates, and Galloway who would all be much better offensively with a true 4 out system. I think ultimately with players like Banks we get there but Woody inherited what he inherited. I hate that Race just hasn’t been able to get comfortable from 3.
i don’t think he lacks confidence.

I am unconvinced that he could log more minutes than he has in the past due to a tendency to foul. Blocking shots looks great on a highlight reel, but that doesn’t make him a great defender. I’ve yet to see a highlight reel focused on footwork during defensive lapses.

Reactions: mk30
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT