ADVERTISEMENT

We have Five 5s on our squad.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
TJD, Malik, Logan, Race, and even JG are all fives. None of them can play the four. That is a problem. You can’t space the floor and get any respect from D if you have 2 5s on the court. No1 is going to guard JG and race on the perimeter. Makes it way too easy to just suffocate TJD.

Kopp at the 4 might be the answer. Then play JHS X and pick between Galloway or bates. that’s what I think we see more of going forward.

TJD, Malik, Logan, Race, and even JG are all fives. None of them can play the four. That is a problem. You can’t space the floor and get any respect from D if you have 2 5s on the court. No1 is going to guard JG and race on the perimeter. Makes it way too easy to just suffocate TJD.

Kopp at the 4 might be the answer. Then play JHS X and pick between Galloway or bates. that’s what I think we see more of going forward.
Doesn't matter who it is, but it's time for some of these other guys to step up. TJD was occupying 3 defenders yesterday, it didn't have to be 3s, but there were open shots and driving lanes and everyone not named Trayce or Miller just sucked and laid an egg yesterday. I said earlier when we were all talking about how great it was to have XJ and JHS that a 3rd PG who could shoot would have been a nice add on this team (think a Nick Zeisloft clone could help this team?). Unfortunate for Leal, because yesterday would have been a great opportunity to show if he's ever going to be able to contribute on the floor. Any of XJ, TB, TG, JG or RT had a huge opportunity to step up and help their team yesterday and they all were no-shows. I'm not sure why CMW didn't stick with giving Gunn an opportunity yesterday; Rutgers got a huge contribution from a lesser rated freshman. CMW could've/should've challenged Gunn by putting him on Simpson and saying "show me what you got!", but as bad as the other players were, it was also a bad outing for CMW. Miller at the 4 would have been fine to try yesterday, but that still means we needed someone else out of the guys I listed to step up and make shots. Just a really bad showing. Now we get to see if this year's team really is different!

Every team is going to have a bad outing. It makes you question this team that it was yesterday vs Rutgers, but I still believe in this team and our Coach. We are 1 game removed from the high everyone was feeling after UNC (well, maybe your's wasn't from UNC!). Let's see how they respond.

Doesn't matter who it is, but it's time for some of these other guys to step up. TJD was occupying 3 defenders yesterday, it didn't have to be 3s, but there were open shots and driving lanes and everyone not named Trayce or Miller just sucked and laid an egg yesterday. I said earlier when we were all talking about how great it was to have XJ and JHS that a 3rd PG who could shoot would have been a nice add on this team (think a Nick Zeisloft clone could help this team?). Unfortunate for Leal, because yesterday would have been a great opportunity to show if he's ever going to be able to contribute on the floor. Any of XJ, TB, TG, JG or RT had a huge opportunity to step up and help their team yesterday and they all were no-shows. I'm not sure why CMW didn't stick with giving Gunn an opportunity yesterday; Rutgers got a huge contribution from a lesser rated freshman. CMW could've/should've challenged Gunn by putting him on Simpson and saying "show me what you got!", but as bad as the other players were, it was also a bad outing for CMW. Miller at the 4 would have been fine to try yesterday, but that still means we needed someone else out of the guys I listed to step up and make shots. Just a really bad showing. Now we get to see if this year's team really is different!

Every team is going to have a bad outing. It makes you question this team that it was yesterday vs Rutgers, but I still believe in this team and our Coach. We are 1 game removed from the high everyone was feeling after UNC (well, maybe your's wasn't from UNC!). Let's see how they respond.
Too many think basketball is Just like a video game. Each game is different. Not everyone plays the same each game. Not every opponent creates the same problems. We’ve went from people saying Kopp is terrible and can’t play to now they want him playing and others to sit.

It’s irrational thought.

Gunn turned the ball over within 10 game seconds of getting in. Second time he bricked his shot. He was not an answer yesterday.

Yesterday's outcome was the result of an age-old syndrome which affects all teams in all sports: when they start believing they are "good". That belief works when players are confident in their abilities and game plan. It doesn't work when it errantly gives players an excuse to give less than maximum effort. It leads to hero ball and excuse-making.

This a leadership issue. Somebody on the team needs to demand more of the others and hold them accountable. These players are getting paid now. They certainly did not earn their checks yesterday.

Too many think basketball is Just like a video game. Each game is different. Not everyone plays the same each game. Not every opponent creates the same problems. We’ve went from people saying Kopp is terrible and can’t play to now they want him playing and others to sit.

It’s irrational thought.
B1G teams like Wisconsin, PU MSU, IL will play us exactly like we got played last night. Athletic teams like UNC and KU will play us different and press our guards. We will be much better against the latter, obviously.

Gunn turned the ball over within 10 game seconds of getting in. Second time he bricked his shot. He was not an answer yesterday.

Yesterday's outcome was the result of an age-old syndrome which affects all teams in all sports: when they start believing they are "good". That belief works when players are confident in their abilities and game plan. It doesn't work when it errantly gives players an excuse to give less than maximum effort. It leads to hero ball and excuse-making.

This a leadership issue. Somebody on the team needs to demand more of the others and hold them accountable. These players are getting paid now. They certainly did not earn their checks yesterday.
probably not, but we needed to try something different and 2 minutes of bad play didn't disqualify you from playing or we'd have not been able to field a team after halftime! But, I saw at a timeout Gunn fussing with his hair and I yelled at the TV "get off my lawn" I mean, "quit worrying about your hair and listen!". Yes, I agree, it is leadership and unfortunately I don't know if we have anyone who will get in a teammates grill and get after them. TJD is a great player and teammate, but the way he talked about Rutgers before the game was correct, and yet the team still came out flat. He, Race, XJ and Miller should've had them ready yesterday and didn't. Definitely lack of leadership.

B1G teams like Wisconsin, PU MSU, IL will play us exactly like we got played last night. Athletic teams like UNC and KU will play us different and press our guards. We will be much better against the latter, obviously.
None of those 4 will play us exactly the same as it relates to our guards.

Self’s teams do not historically defend like Carolina teams. They are usually more physical and in better position.

None of those 4 will play us exactly the same as it relates to our guards.

Self’s teams do not historically defend like Carolina teams. They are usually more physical and in better position.
KU doesnt play anyone over 6'8 and they are not physical whatsoever this year. Grady Dick is a 4 I would love to have.

We should keep one of these wannabes around to play with.
Yeah, let them have their moment. I actually thought some of the Rutgers posters in years past were pretty good, but now we've been overrun with douches. Besides, if you're in Jersey, how do you know when you've taken the trash out?

Reactions: FormerRevMatt

If this game was against MSU or Wisky, there wouldn't be as much consternation, IMHO. But since it was historically lowly Rutgers, many will overreact. Rutgers is good though and rated as high as an MSU or Wisky this year.

I expect many teams will lose games their fans don't think they should. Happens every year. IU will bounce back and will be in the running for the BT title and a national title run, IMHO.

The real problem is that none of them are 5's, most of them, if they have any aspirations of playing pro anywhere are 3's or 2's. They could play that way like a UK 96 or Arkansas, if they could shoot, but they can't and the pace is not there, that is the problem. We could try it, JHS and X pressing. It would be different, the B10 isn't really used to that, and who says we always have to do it, just put it in the wheelhouse when needed. That we allow teams to suffocate TJD is a problem, they need Crean to come back and teach running

Last edited:
Reactions: mk30

I know you predict great things for Bates. Hope u r correct, but I have not seen it yet.

I agree with your assessment, but we would get killed on the glass and it would hurt our defense. I don’t see Woodson sacrificing in those areas to improve the offense.

We need to get JHS back and we will be fine. He allows for the floor to be spaced. Without him only X and TJD can force the defense to double or have to help. Also, at some point Malik needs to start in front of Race. Play your best 5.

Reactions: kkott
Hell, they have been doing that for years. As Len Bias stated during the Carolina game, “everything we do goes through Trayce”. There is a reason why it does. If we can’t shoot, which we can’t, it will continue To be on Trayce until others step up.

Hell, they have been doing that for years. As Len Bias stated during the Carolina game, “everything we do goes through Trayce”. There is a reason why it does. If we can’t shoot, which we can’t, it will continue To be on Trayce until others step up.
I don't know who did the Carolina game, but I do know it wasn't Len Bias. Did you watch on a Ouija board?

Unfortunate for Leal, because yesterday would have been a great opportunity to show if he's ever going to be able to contribute on the floor. Any of XJ, TB, TG, JG or RT had a huge opportunity to step up and help their team yesterday and they all were no-shows. I'm not sure why CMW didn't stick with giving Gunn an opportunity yesterday; Rutgers got a huge contribution from a lesser rated freshman. CMW could've/should've challenged Gunn by putting him on Simpson and saying "show me what you got!", but as bad as the other players were, it was also a bad outing for CMW.

Gunn looked out of his element, and the physical (mugging) nature of the game wasn’t ideal for him, but I agree with you that he should have been given a little longer to show something. Not a big fan of yanking a developing guy after 30 seconds and not giving him any more time.

In regards to it being unfortunate for Leal that he was hurt because this would have been a good opportunity to prove himself……I’d bet my entire net worth that a healthy Leal would not have seen court time vs Rutgers.

Reactions: kmathum

Intriguing thought. Definitely some positives although I’d be a bit worried about rebounds in that scenario (and some of Kopps defensive matchups at the 4).

Someone needs to almost magically step up, or something has to be done strategically, because nearly all BT teams are going to defensively pack the middle and take their chances that our perimeter won’t burn them. There will be games where X and Kopp do indeed burn some teams but there will be others in which it will be clank city.

Reactions: bsmitty08
probably not, but we needed to try something different and 2 minutes of bad play didn't disqualify you from playing or we'd have not been able to field a team after halftime! But, I saw at a timeout Gunn fussing with his hair and I yelled at the TV "get off my lawn" I mean, "quit worrying about your hair and listen!". Yes, I agree, it is leadership and unfortunately I don't know if we have anyone who will get in a teammates grill and get after them. TJD is a great player and teammate, but the way he talked about Rutgers before the game was correct, and yet the team still came out flat. He, Race, XJ and Miller should've had them ready yesterday and didn't. Definitely lack of leadership.
My GF yelled almost the same thing at the same sight. What in the hell is the kid, like 7 years old or something?

Reactions: kkott and IUgradman
The real problem is that none of them are 5's, most of them, if they have any aspirations of playing pro anywhere are 3's or 2's. They could play that way like a UK 96 or Arkansas, if they could shoot, but they can't and the pace is not there, that is the problem. We could try it, JHS and X pressing. It would be different, the B10 isn't really used to that, and who says we always have to do it, just put it in the wheelhouse when needed. That we allow teams to suffocate TJD is a problem, they need Crean to come back and teach running
Totally agree. We don't have any 5's (Michael Durr was the most recent and I'm glad he's gonzo). I think that was Cav-Code for "none of them can shoot." When our bigs can't shoot, aren't physical enough to rebound, and have a hard time passing out of traps, we've got a problem. Rutger was smart enough to know all that.

Totally agree. We don't have any 5's (Michael Durr was the most recent and I'm glad he's gonzo). I think that was Cav-Code for "none of them can shoot." When our bigs can't shoot, aren't physical enough to rebound, and have a hard time passing out of traps, we've got a problem. Rutger was smart enough to know all that.
We're way too easy to defend. It's obvious now and I think you'll see teams run Rutgers playbook from here on out. If we beat anyone good it's because our D will be absolutely elite.

Reactions: mk30
Definitely lack of leadership.
There was a lack of a lot of things yesterday .... not sure you can arbitrarily pinpoint it on one thing and certainly not definitely ..

So is the fanbase still benching Miller Kopp, like it wanted for the last 7 games or is that over with now?

Reactions: Spartans9312
Yeah, let them have their moment. I actually thought some of the Rutgers posters in years past were pretty good, but now we've been overrun with douches. Besides, if you're in Jersey, how do you know when you've taken the trash out?
Exactly.

There was a lack of a lot of things yesterday .... not sure you can arbitrarily pinpoint it on one thing and certainly not definitely ..

So is the fanbase still benching Miller Kopp, like it wanted for the last 7 games or is that over with now?
over with until his next bad game. I actually really liked Miller's approach yesterday. He looked pissed and determined to me. But, he's not an inside guy. I almost would have liked to see one of our upperclassmen call a timeout and tear into the other guys. Giving up, what, 14 offensive rebounds before halftime? Someone needed to wake them up.

Reactions: stollcpa and T.M.P.

Like your post. I think no matter the situation, when healthy Leal isn’t getting time off the bench except for mop up time.

After reading all of this doom and gloom I'm wondering if the Tar Heels are going to shut down their program!

Rutgers came out physical as hell and IU was just not ready for it. It's been awhile and I think the team forgot how to tackle, bump, push, and slap effectively ..
I am much more interested in seeing how a team responds to adversity than I am in seeing how they look when everything is going their way. Personally, I would have felt better about the RU game if UNC had spanked us.

Last season we didn’t really get slapped in the face until we played in the Kohl center. This season it was yesterday. In both cases they faced adversity, were “slapped in the face “, literally and figuratively but yes it was physical BT basketball . And you are right, they weren’t ready for it. Not having JHS put more pressure on X, and he has had issues with his emotions in physical games.

It’s just a loss, one game, and potentially something to learn from.

It could have been much worse. No injuries, no suspensions. Now we have a get well game on Wednesday. Coming off a loss the intangibles flip back to our corner.

Reactions: T.M.P.

I agree and PU is going to win the BIG again. Yuck

Like your post. I think no matter the situation, when healthy Leal isn’t getting time off the bench except for mop up time.
I doubt it too, but the only solutions have to come from our roster and yesterday with JHS out and everyone else sucking, it would have been an opportunity. If he doesn't get in that game, then all he's ever going to be is a good practice/team guy and if the coaches are OK with that, then so am I. But, I've thought all along a 3rd PG or a good shooter could help. If Leal can't be that guy then he's never gonna see the floor.

Don't think so. It's a long season and depending on a freshmen PG and backcourt to the degree they are, isn't usually a recipe for success.
They have dominated everyone they have played. A list that includes: Gonzaga, Duke, Marquette and WVU. I hope they fail but they can shoot and they have size

Rutgers came out physical as hell and IU was just not ready for it. It's been awhile and I think the team forgot how to tackle, bump, push, and slap effectively ..
This is exactly what happened. I’m not sure why this group needs to get their asses kicked once in awhile, but they tend to lose their edge. I realize this happens to many teams. It’s one game.

At Rutgers is going to be a street fight 100% of the time under their current coach.

Also, X had his goofy week on Twitter followed by a 6 turnover, flagrant foul game, so he should be good until the first or second week of January, so that’s a positive. Make fun of me all you want Cav, but it’s exactly how his story goes. I’m guessing he will probably drop a fat turd at Iowa or at Penn State.

They have dominated everyone they have played. A list that includes: Gonzaga, Duke, Marquette and WVU. I hope they fail but they can shoot and they have size
Yep, they've played great and played a good schedule. But, I don't see depth at 2 key positions: center and PG. If a team can neutralize Edey or he gets sick or injured, I think their team and fortunes look very different. Same for PG. I think they're in a little better shape there, but I also think they'll be more inconsistent there when they get into the B10. Don't forget at this time last year, they were #1 in the country, and still didn't win the B10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT