ADVERTISEMENT

"We have a goal to win a national..

I think Coach Crean celebrating making the sweet 16 a major celebration with jewelry rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. The sweet 16 rings indicated that the bar has been lowered and has left the impression with many that making the sweet 16 defines Hoosier success.
Cutting the nets after the Ohio St loss did it for me.

Reactions: 82hoosier
And if Glass does, we know we're in for the long haul. I've always thought what you said about Glass just playing politics until the buy-out is reasonable. Listening to Fred after the 2013 season, he did not shy away about discussing the buy out and how it works.
I don't think we quite realize the pressure Glass has been on the last 2-3 years. He is very aware of the unrest by most boosters and the fan base overall. He's very aware of the situation and I think he'll do everything he can to avoid it moving forward. He just needs the right time in the next couple years.

Reactions: Hoogolf
I don't think we quite realize the pressure Glass has been on the last 2-3 years. He is very aware of the unrest by most boosters and the fan base overall. He's very aware of the situation and I think he'll do everything he can to avoid it moving forward. He just needs the right time in the next couple years.

Your overstatement of blather is funny to read. Most boosters and the fan base overall don't think like you do. You have been wrong at every turn on this board the last few months, and this is another example. If Glass wanted to make a change, he easily could have made a change. He didn't want to, and neither did the president or most well healed donors.

You literally hit the nail on the head. He's a freaking loser and a snake oil salesman. No more than a dancing clown who makes 2.5 mil, he's snowed a lot of people with his antics.

Side note, I am not criticizing him for making that much money. Get as much money as you can no hate there

Anyone else see the irony in Kyle labeling Crean a loser and snake oil salesman while in the very same thread pushing Bobby Petrino?

I swear you can't make stuff up about some of our fans.

Anyone else see the irony in Kyle labeling Crean a loser and snake oil salesman while in the very same thread pushing Bobby Petrino?

I swear you can't make stuff up about some of our fans.

Your so smart. One of these loser snake oil salesmen head coaches is not like the other, see if you can figure out the difference. Bet you can't

Your overstatement of blather is funny to read. Most boosters and the fan base overall don't think like you do. You have been wrong at every turn on this board the last few months, and this is another example. If Glass wanted to make a change, he easily could have made a change. He didn't want to, and neither did the president or most well healed donors.

Pretty much on point.

Pretty much on point.

That's not even close to accurate. The powers that be were pretty much ready to dump him after the embarrassment of the Duke game. That was less than a year ago. Tom's only saving grace was a serendipitous injury and the easiest schedule Indiana has ever had in the B1G, coupled by a solid win vs. a down UK team in the tournament. He did what he needed to do to quell the masses (for now), and he's bought himself this year and likely next to break through (so really this year). He's not out of the woods just yet. I have no doubt that if Fred Glass is looking at 10+ years of Tom Crean at Indiana without any kind of significant Tournament success, a "deep Tournament run" if you will, then he will not hesitate to take the program in a different direction...

That's not even close to accurate. The powers that be were pretty much ready to dump him after the embarrassment of the Duke game. That was less than a year ago. Tom's only saving grace was a serendipitous injury and the easiest schedule Indiana has ever had in the B1G, coupled by a solid win vs. a down UK team in the tournament. He did what he needed to do to quell the masses (for now), and he's bought himself this year and likely next to break through (so really this year). He's not out of the woods just yet. I have no doubt that if Fred Glass is looking at 10+ years of Tom Crean at Indiana without any kind of significant Tournament success, a "deep Tournament run" if you will, then he will not hesitate to take the program in a different direction...

Sorry. Glass doesn't work that way. The "powers that be" don't have the juice that many think they might. FG is accommodating but he won't compromise what he believes is right course to appease large money donors. Never has never will.

Not saying Crean doesn't need to have a deep run soon (this or next year) but go back and listen to FG presser from a couple weeks ago. Specifically his comments about how much respect he has for TC not playing the recruiting game others do....coincidentally (if you or anyone believe that) was about a week before Scruggs decided to head to PP. Most can connect the dots.

As a fan I want deep tourney runs too and I think we've solidified our footing as a program which ultimately will get us there. Hopefully soon!

Sorry. Glass doesn't work that way. The "powers that be" don't have the juice that many think they might. FG is accommodating but he won't compromise what he believes is right course to appease large money donors. Never has never will.

Not saying Crean doesn't need to have a deep run soon (this or next year) but go back and listen to FG presser from a couple weeks ago. Specifically his comments about how much respect he has for TC not playing the recruiting game others do....coincidentally (if you or anyone believe that) was about a week before Scruggs decided to head to PP. Most can connect the dots.

As a fan I want deep tourney runs too and I think we've solidified our footing as a program which ultimately will get us there. Hopefully soon!

If Fred Glass makes a change, it won't be to appease the "powers that be" big money donors, agreed.

It will be because Tom hasn't produced the specified goals of the program in 10+ years.

And Glass absolutely works that way. See IU Soccer as an example.

If Fred Glass makes a change, it won't be to appease the "powers that be" big money donors, agreed.

It will be because Tom hasn't produced the specified goals of the program in 10+ years.

And Glass absolutely works that way. See IU Soccer as an example.

That I agree with i.e. 10 years,etc....I don't follow Soccer so no clue what happened there.

A couple of points:

1. Crean would accept Scruggs' commitment right now, so the high minded "doesn't play the recruiting game" comments need to be taken in that context;
2. Glass is supporting his coach, as he should. But he'll bail on him in a heartbeat if it gets too hot.

IU doesn't have SEC football boosters running around, and Glass enjoys the full confidence of McRobbie and the Trustees but he won't hesitate to move on any coach if he doesn't see them moving toward the ultimate objectives set for the program. In the case of basketball, IU isn't elite and there's nothing to suggest they're going to be under TC.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
A couple of points:

1. Crean would accept Scruggs' commitment right now, so the high minded "doesn't play the recruiting game" comments need to be taken in that context;
2. Glass is supporting his coach, as he should. But he'll bail on him in a heartbeat if it gets too hot.

IU doesn't have SEC football boosters running around, and Glass enjoys the full confidence of McRobbie and the Trustees but he won't hesitate to move on any coach if he doesn't see them moving toward the ultimate objectives set for the program. In the case of basketball, IU isn't elite and there's nothing to suggest they're going to be under TC.
I somewhat disagree with the sentiment that Glass will move on from Crean if he doesn't improve from where he is now. I just have a hard time seeing Glass being a guy to not retain Crean if he is winning 25 games or so per season, going to the tourney, and competing for the B1G, even if he is not getting past the Sweet 16. The only way that might change would be for fans to stop attending games, but absent that, I just don't see it. He is paying Crean market for the results he is getting, I think (this is without doing any research on salaries).

Let's be honest. Crean's results are not "that bad" overall. A couple of B1G titles recently, playing into the second weekend of the tournament, beating ranked teams, winning B1G coach of the year, and doing it with good kids who are graduating and with a perfect APR. I just don't know that I see Glass as being the kind of AD that will look at that and say "this isn't good enough", absent some sort of external factor (fan attendance, pressure from big boosters, etc.). Not sure that anything Crean has done would qualify as "fireable". That's why where IU is right now sucks, because you aren't competing at the level most of the fanbase would like, but the team is consistently good enough that you can't make a change without intense media scrutiny. Not sure, absent a massive salary increase to $4-5 million, why a potential new coach would look at the results that got Crean canned/not retained and would not have serious reservations about expectations and their long term security.

Reactions: hondo314
I somewhat disagree with the sentiment that Glass will move on from Crean if he doesn't improve from where he is now. I just have a hard time seeing Glass being a guy to not retain Crean if he is winning 25 games or so per season, going to the tourney, and competing for the B1G, even if he is not getting past the Sweet 16. The only way that might change would be for fans to stop attending games, but absent that, I just don't see it. He is paying Crean market for the results he is getting, I think (this is without doing any research on salaries).

Let's be honest. Crean's results are not "that bad" overall. A couple of B1G titles recently, playing into the second weekend of the tournament, beating ranked teams, winning B1G coach of the year, and doing it with good kids who are graduating and with a perfect APR. I just don't know that I see Glass as being the kind of AD that will look at that and say "this isn't good enough", absent some sort of external factor (fan attendance, pressure from big boosters, etc.). Not sure that anything Crean has done would qualify as "fireable". That's why where IU is right now sucks, because you aren't competing at the level most of the fanbase would like, but the team is consistently good enough that you can't make a change without intense media scrutiny. Not sure, absent a massive salary increase to $4-5 million, why a potential new coach would look at the results that got Crean canned/not retained and would not have serious reservations about expectations and their long term security.

yup, admin could have avoided this good-but-not-great predicament by parting ways a year ago or two years ago. would have been justifiable.

top 40 coach with a top ten paycheck. this is where we be.

There's every chance you could be correct. "Not that bad" will never be the stated goal for the program, but none of what you described will ever be mistaken for "elite", either, and that will eventually erode Crean's support.

If the lowered standard of which you speak is acceptable to the powers that be, so be it. But Glass was very clear in saying that he envisioned deep tournament runs and competing at the top levels of college hoops. I simply don't believe IU is on that path or likely to be so under Crean's stewardship, and he'll ultimately wear out his welcome as a result. The empty seats in Assembly Hall can't be ignored, even if they've been sold.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
There's every chance you could be correct. "Not that bad" will never be the stated goal for the program, but none of what you described will ever be mistaken for "elite", either, and that will eventually erode Crean's support.

If the lowered standard of which you speak is acceptable to the powers that be, so be it. But Glass was very clear in saying that he envisioned deep tournament runs and competing at the top levels of college hoops. I simply don't believe IU is on that path or likely to be so under Crean's stewardship, and he'll ultimately wear out his welcome as a result. The empty seats in Assembly Hall can't be ignored, even if they've been sold.
Perhaps "good enough" would be a better statement about where we are right now. Agree with your other statements. The current results are good/enjoyable for the most part, but fall below elite. I too do not believe that IU is on a path towards championship contention under the direction of Crean. The question is what does Glass consider "deep tournament runs" and "competing at the top levels of college hoops"? I would argue that, based off the the department's reaction to beating a down UK team in the NCAA tourney last season, that there is a belief that that constitutes "competing at the top levels of college basketball".

Reactions: hondo314
I think Coach Crean celebrating making the sweet 16 a major celebration with jewelry rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. The sweet 16 rings indicated that the bar has been lowered and has left the impression with many that making the sweet 16 defines Hoosier success.
If you got that impression, I did not. And, IMHO, that was not the intent.

But I can understand why those "fans" who do not like CTC would feel that way. I imagine that some of them feel that each positive step forward that IU makes is a threat to them getting rid of the Coach they dislike. So, they feel a need to turn any positive into a negative. Once again I did not say that everyone who wants CTC gone feels that way but I feel some do.

Perhaps "good enough" would be a better statement about where we are right now. Agree with your other statements. The current results are good/enjoyable for the most part, but fall below elite. I too do not believe that IU is on a path towards championship contention under the direction of Crean. The question is what does Glass consider "deep tournament runs" and "competing at the top levels of college hoops"? I would argue that, based off the the department's reaction to beating a down UK team in the NCAA tourney last season, that there is a belief that that constitutes "competing at the top levels of college basketball".
Agree with your thoughts, at least as they relate to this moment in time. If they're roughly at that same point in two or three years, that's when I envision the true potential for change. And if there is regression similar to the immediate post - Zeller years, the process may accelerate.

But I can understand why those "fans" who do not like CTC would feel that way. I imagine that some of them feel that each positive step forward that IU makes is a threat to them getting rid of the Coach they dislike. So, they feel a need to turn any positive into a negative. Once again I did not say that everyone who wants CTC gone feels that way but I feel some do.
I think you've significantly misinterpreted the issue here, which is far more pervasive than you believe.

It's not about turning "any positive into a negative" as much as it is turning "any positive into an earth shattering, watershed moment". Even those who like and support Crean, including some in the Athletic Department and University, shook their heads in bewilderment in the wake of the net cutting and Sweet 16 rings. It was considered inappropriate and undignified by many and a rather transparent attempt at self-illumination by more than a few.

I think you've significantly misinterpreted the issue here, which is far more pervasive than you believe.

It's not about turning "any positive into a negative" as much as it is turning "any positive into an earth shattering, watershed moment". Even those who like and support Crean, including some in the Athletic Department and University, shook their heads in bewilderment in the wake of the net cutting and Sweet 16 rings. It was considered inappropriate and undignified by many and a rather transparent attempt at self-illumination by more than a few.

And,maybe you are misinterpreting the issue here and it is not a pervasive as you, and some others, think it is.

This is something that we see through different prisms so I am not surprised we each see something different. And, I think many people here still have no problem with celebrating a "sweet 16." Obviously, you feel differently.

And. I agree with you on one thing. Eventually CTC will not coach at IU any longer.

And,maybe you are misinterpreting the issue here and it is not a pervasive as you, and some others, think it is.

This is something that we see through different prisms so I am not surprised we each see something different. And, I think many people here still have no problem with celebrating a "sweet 16." Obviously, you feel differently.

And. I agree with you on one thing. Eventually CTC will not coach at IU any longer.
A matter of distinction, however, is that my view is supported via the comments of people within IU and the AD while yours is simply an expression of your personal feelings and nothing more.

Each "positive" step forward is merely a delay of the inevitable. Do you honestly think those "steps" will result in serious post season success. Let's get real, let's get the mediocrity over with

Once again Crean will win 25 games, feasting on weak opponents and leaning on the power of assembly hall. After all this team isn't awful. But when it's money time he will be handing out sweet sixteen rings next fall. I hate being mediocre.

His frantic style doesn't win championships and deflections don't count in a triple double

You know not what you speak.

yup, admin could have avoided this good-but-not-great predicament by parting ways a year ago or two years ago. would have been justifiable.

top 40 coach with a top ten paycheck. this is where we be.

That top 40 coach was in the top 3 last year for National Coach of the Year. No way the Big Ten Coach of the Year is merely a top 40 coach.

AGENDA ^^^

That top 40 coach was in the top 3 last year for National Coach of the Year. No way the Big Ten Coach of the Year is merely a top 40 coach.

AGENDA ^^^

Really? Is that what you're going to hang your hat on?

No Way a Big Ten Coach of the Year is merely a Top 40 coach...?

Was Randy Ayers a top 40 coach? Because he was B1G COY twice in '91 and '92

Or maybe Clem Haskins? B1G COY in 1997. Then promptly removed from Minnesota in 1999 for academic fraud going back as far as 1993.

Or how about Bill Carmody? B1G COY in 2004. Fired in 2013 from Northwestern. Never made the NCAA Tournament as coach of the Wildcats.

Or Ed DeChellis? B1G COY in 2009. Would you consider him a top 40 coach at Penn St.?
Or Tim Miles? B1G COY in 2014. Does he consistently have Nebraska Basketball in the top 40?

I know you're a CBL fanboy to the Nth degree, but please spare us all these AGENDA posts because some of us don't give a lot of credence to a courtesy award finally awarded to a coach after eight years in the conference.

Sure. Why don't you enlighten us all? Should be easy for you considering all your connections within the Athletic Department. Just so long as you don't have to give any details about Banners, right?
. . . or accurately identify IU's athletic directors. Nobody buys his fantasy resume.

Each "positive" step forward is merely a delay of the inevitable. Do you honestly think those "steps" will result in serious post season success. Let's get real, let's get the mediocrity over with

Villanova fans said the same thing the last few years. No one knows where this goes or how things progress.

Really? Is that what you're going to hang your hat on?

No Way a Big Ten Coach of the Year is merely a Top 40 coach...?

Was Randy Ayers a top 40 coach? Because he was B1G COY twice in '91 and '92

Or maybe Clem Haskins? B1G COY in 1997. Then promptly removed from Minnesota in 1999 for academic fraud going back as far as 1993.

Or how about Bill Carmody? B1G COY in 2004. Fired in 2013 from Northwestern. Never made the NCAA Tournament as coach of the Wildcats.

Or Ed DeChellis? B1G COY in 2009. Would you consider him a top 40 coach at Penn St.?
Or Tim Miles? B1G COY in 2014. Does he consistently have Nebraska Basketball in the top 40?

I know you're a CBL fanboy to the Nth degree, but please spare us all these AGENDA posts because some of us don't give a lot of credence to a courtesy award finally awarded to a coach after eight years in the conference.

Poor attempt, none of the finished in the top 3 for national coach of the year. Yes, it is entirely possible to win a conference coach of the year for outdoing expectations, as your list suggests. Much more difficult to finish where he did for national coach of the year.

Poor attempt, none of the finished in the top 3 for national coach of the year. Yes, it is entirely possible to win a conference coach of the year for outdoing expectations, as your list suggests. Much more difficult to finish where he did for national coach of the year.
Wow. You're now relying on journalist polls to defend TC. Can't even use his results so have to use a 3rd place poll to defend him. You're beyond reaching now.

Matt Doherty and Keno Davis approve of this post.

Wow. You're now relying on journalist polls to defend TC. Can't even use his results so have to use a 3rd place poll to defend him. You're beyond reaching now.

3rd place poll? They show who won, not where they finished, so you're either lying or showing your ignorance again.

Secondly, Crean was named finalist for the Naismith National Coach of the Year. Again, showing your ignorance, that is not an award voted on solely by journalists. So your entire premise is stated incorrectly. The award is voted on by the Atlanta Tipoff Club National Voting Academy. I know this, because I've been involved in the past with the group (not as a voting member, but to provide information to them). The Academy includes former coaches, conference commissions and administrators, and past winners. And yes, journalists, too.

Bob Knight, incidentally, was the very first winner.

They announce the winner, only.

Third, Crean was also a finalist for the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year award. That is voted on by 30 member panel. Of the 30 members, only 5 are members of the media. Again, showing your ignorance.

Tell me again, who is beyond reach? You've been exposed to be incorrect at an alarming pace the last month or so. Should we post the tabulations again?

Last edited:
Sure. Why don't you enlighten us all? Should be easy for you considering all your connections within the Athletic Department. Just so long as you don't have to give any details about Banners, right?

Proof is in the actions. Tom Crean is our head coach and will remain so. Care to go back on this board to find out how many times you guys whispered that alumni were ready to take him down? How often did that happen?

He's still here. He has strong support from the President and AD, and key benefactors. Mark Cuban loves him, and I say that somewhat in jest because the local boosters with the big checkbooks matter most. There are far more supporters than detractors in the bunch. However, to throw you and your friends here a bone, yes there are a few that are not as enamored as others. That's always been the case with every coach, including Knight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT