ADVERTISEMENT

watching my 1st Indiana St game since

malreynolds-firefly.gif

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Hinkle is great. Love the layout. Can even be in line for beer/food and still see the court. Such a cool building.
I feel like Hinkle is sort of its own thing even though Butler plays there. Amazing gym.

But, respect to never going if you don’t like Butler. I don’t like them much (they sure don’t like IU).

Speaking of Venues. I live in Evansville Indiana and in January of 2013, they demolished an ICON of the City, Roberts Stadium, to build a new Arena Downtown.

I attended many Basketball games as well as Concerts and Events at Roberts and didn't agree with their decision to close it down and demolish it. In Fact.... I would suppose they demolished it, so they could promote their New Downtown Arena, to which I have never been there yet.

From people that I have talked to, that have attended events there, they have the said the seating is less than to be desired. They said the rows between the seats are to narrow and for tall people, like myself, your knees/shins are crammed against the back of the seat in front of you. Of course that is third party opinions, but enough for me to stay away from it.

I have many good memories of Roberts and feel that it was the wrong decision to tear it down. Of course...that's just my opinion.

NIT Final Four is at Hinkle.

But I'm glad you posted this before I did b/c I thought the same thing.
Speaking of Hinkle, the IHSAA Boys State Championship games were delayed until March 30th, instead of last weekend, because of Indy hosting the NCAA games.

To be honest.... I thought this would have been a great opportunity for the IHSAA to go back to it's roots, for just this one year, and have the Championship games at Hinkle.

That way the boys wouldn't have had to wait two weeks to play their games and it would have been a great atmosphere.

I guess Hinkle would have been fine for the 1a, 2a and 3a games, but with 4a having two Indy teams playing,
the crowds would have been larger for that game. Fine.... empty the arena after the 3a game and only 4a tickets would be allowed.... filling the whole stadium. It was just a thought... but too late now.

I feel like Hinkle is sort of its own thing even though Butler plays there. Amazing gym.

But, respect to never going if you don’t like Butler. I don’t like them much (they sure don’t like IU).

IU games no longer worth the time/travel investment for me. Maybe 1 or 2x a year. Likely 0 next year. Used to go 5 or 6 games a year. Butler games good experience, quality BE opponents and I can be home 20 mins after game is over.

IU games no longer worth the time/travel investment for me. Maybe 1 or 2x a year. Likely 0 next year. Used to go 5 or 6 games a year. Butler games good experience, quality BE opponents and I can be home 20 mins after game is over.
Agree. Cheap, easy access, quality bball, one of a kind great venue.

Reactions: twenty02 and larsIU
Speaking of Venues. I live in Evansville Indiana and in January of 2013, they demolished an ICON of the City, Roberts Stadium, to build a new Arena Downtown.

I attended many Basketball games as well as Concerts and Events at Roberts and didn't agree with their decision to close it down and demolish it. In Fact.... I would suppose they demolished it, so they could promote their New Downtown Arena, to which I have never been there yet.

From people that I have talked to, that have attended events there, they have the said the seating is less than to be desired. They said the rows between the seats are to narrow and for tall people, like myself, your knees/shins are crammed against the back of the seat in front of you. Of course that is third party opinions, but enough for me to stay away from it.

I have many good memories of Roberts and feel that it was the wrong decision to tear it down. Of course...that's just my opinion.
Not even a marker from the city where it stood..
Sad..

the Bird. most dominate college player I've ever seen. played his worst game against Mich st but what he did to get them there was phenomenal. the Arkansas and Depaul games he dominated like nothing I've seen since
I live in Terre Haute, Kurt and had season tickets during the Bird years. Amazing player!

The Hulman Center seats 9,000 and that place is loud, electric and rockin'.....when the Sycamores are "good." And that is this year, obviously. That is a very good hustling well-coached team who plays with alot of energy and has SHOOTERS. Of the few games I've watched this year, it's been a refreshing enjoyable experience.

I would like to see them on IU's schedule every year. I may make the trip to Hinkle, too. IU is my #1 team, but they're no longer playing and I enjoy good basketball with crisp ball movement, cutting, spacing, screening and especially watching the ball actually go through the hoop.

Reactions: Shuski
So true. Hinkle is something to see.

And Indianapolis proper could care less about Butler top to bottom.
It’s not debatable.
All sports and academia.
It’s almost like the school isn’t in town.

Even when Stevens had them going for two straight years they barely got any love/coverage from the locals.
Just a rich kid school that happens to be here.

ISU is so easy to root for because think about it —- it’s Vigo County and there are plenty of people but nothing to do (minus the meth).
Rose is there but that’s another academic island that doesn’t relate to the general populous. D3.

Wish like hell they would have gotten into the Dance.
Deserved it on merit but just didn’t finish the tourney.

Would not be surprised if they take it all at Hinkle.
They aren’t full of Indiana kids but who they do have—- anyone can easily root for and wish only the best. They aren’t old. Most will be back.
Coach gone after this year without question. Need to get it this year.

Diametrically opposed to IU and the current + devolving shit show.

Albeit at a different level I know but c’mon…. It’s basketball for God’s sake.

5 on 5.

I have been to a few games at the new arena and think it is just fine from a fan perspective.

So true. Hinkle is something to see.

And Indianapolis proper could care less about Butler top to bottom.
It’s not debatable.
All sports and academia.
It’s almost like the school isn’t in town.

Even when Stevens had them going for two straight years they barely got any love/coverage from the locals.
Just a rich kid school that happens to be here.

ISU is so easy to root for because think about it —- it’s Vigo County and there are plenty of people but nothing to do (minus the meth).
Rose is there but that’s another academic island that doesn’t relate to the general populous. D3.

Wish like hell they would have gotten into the Dance.
Deserved it on merit but just didn’t finish the tourney.

Would not be surprised if they take it all at Hinkle.
They aren’t full of Indiana kids but who they do have—- anyone can easily root for and wish only the best. They aren’t old. Most will be back.
Coach gone after this year without question. Need to get it this year.

Diametrically opposed to IU and the current + devolving shit show.

Albeit at a different level I know but c’mon…. It’s basketTball for God’s sake.

5 on 5.
Living in Terre Haute they are an enjoyable team to watch. I hope they go to Hinkle and win it. The rumors here are that he is gone to Louisville? St. Louis or another. The Louisville rumor included three players going with him. That would suck for ISU but the nature of the beast if it happens.

I loved driving down to Evansville to the old Roberts Memorial Stadium during the days of the "one" class boys high school tournament. I always followed Terre Haute North and South to the semi-state. That building was always packed with fans of Vincennes, Washington, Jeffersonville, New Albany, Terre Haute, Evansville teams, etc.

I was in the stands when Bob Ford of Evansville North threw up the shot in the waning seconds that upset Terre Haute Garfield in 1967. I honestly thought Garfield could've won the state, but Evansville North went on to win it.

I was there in 1968 to watch Indiana State play Kentucky Wesleyan in the NCAA Divison Championship game. Wesleyan was led by Dallas Thornton and George Tinsley. Jerry Newsome starred for the Sycamores. That place was rocking that night!

And one concert in '71. An odd pairing of Deep Purple with Billy Preston. That was a helluva good time🤣 Fond memories of RMS.

Are tickets tough to come by when playing a UConn or Marquette? It could be fun to take one of those in.

Other than touring campus when my daughter was considering Butler, I've only been to Hinkle for High School Bball back in ancient times.

Are tickets tough to come by when playing a UConn or Marquette? It could be fun to take one of those in.

Other than touring campus when my daughter was considering Butler, I've only been to Hinkle for High School Bball back in ancient times.

I saw Marquette last year. Not this year. Tickets were cheap but was toward end of season and Butler was bad.

You can usually always find them on StubHub etc....a premium opponent weekend game going to be the priciest.

Reactions: Vern Pain

Usually not hard to find reasonably priced tickets on StubHub, etc. Butler doesn’t have a particularly big fanbase.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I live 10 minutes away from it and I've never been inside, because I dont like Butler. My parents lived across the street in the 1970's before I was born.
Being meh on Butler and not liking them are two different things. Not a rival, good culture, hard times of late but seem pretty likable, Big East. And Hinkle has loads of history and charm…why the dislike?

Being meh on Butler and not liking them are two different things. Not a rival, good culture, hard times of late but seem pretty likable, Big East. And Hinkle has loads of history and charm…why the dislike?
Most of their "fans" are fairweather AF. They were fond of rolling through here during their halcyon days talking shit. Kinda like Rutgers and their shitbirds.

I'm not here for it.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Lol. I live in Indy and know bandwagon season ticket holders for BU, cheeseballs.

I
Yeah, I feel you. I think my wife took my daughter to a BU women's game this year. I parked there last time I went to Chatham Tap on campus. But I don't care. Give me assembly. All day.

Yeah, I feel you. I think my wife took my daughter to a BU women's game this year. I parked there last time I went to Chatham Tap on campus. But I don't care. Give me assembly. All day.
I'm a neutral Hawkeye but agree 100%.

Hinkle is fine but nothing to wax poetic over IMO.

I loved driving down to Evansville to the old Roberts Memorial Stadium during the days of the "one" class boys high school tournament. I always followed Terre Haute North and South to the semi-state. That building was always packed with fans of Vincennes, Washington, Jeffersonville, New Albany, Terre Haute, Evansville teams, etc.

I was in the stands when Bob Ford of Evansville North threw up the shot in the waning seconds that upset Terre Haute Garfield in 1967. I honestly thought Garfield could've won the state, but Evansville North went on to win it.

I was there in 1968 to watch Indiana State play Kentucky Wesleyan in the NCAA Divison Championship game. Wesleyan was led by Dallas Thornton and George Tinsley. Jerry Newsome starred for the Sycamores. That place was rocking that night!

And one concert in '71. An odd pairing of Deep Purple with Billy Preston. That was a helluva good time🤣 Fond memories of RMS.
I also attended the Wesleyan Indiana State Championship along with 13062. Wesleyan held Newsom to 4 points.

Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
I also attended the Wesleyan Indiana State Championship along with 13062. Wesleyan held Newsom to 4 points.
Wesleyan was quite impressive. Great atmosphere in there. From around '63 through '68, Indiana State had some really good teams. I remember when they were Indiana State Teachers College, but I'm a fossil.

My memory is foggy, but I think it was in '64 or '65 when both ISU and Evansville were really good. Evansville came up to Terre Haute, shot the lights out and with their quickness, pretty much blew the Sycamores out of "The Arena." I was in high school and stood in line in the snow with a buddy freezing to get tickets. SRO!

A couple of funny takeaways from that evening was the ISU fans poking fun at the long robes the Aces were wearing in the warm ups. Ol' Arad! And the moronic signs reading "Beat the River Rats" and here Terre Haute rests on the banks of the Wabash.🤣 But man, that was quite a performance by Evansville that night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockport Zebra
Anybody remember when the Evansville team was killed in plane crash in 1977. I was a freshman at IU at the time. Air Indiana Flight 216 was an awful tragedy and really shook the community and state.

• Sad
Reactions: TerhuneHoosierfan
Wesleyan was quite impressive. Great atmosphere in there. From around '63 through '68, Indiana State had some really good teams. I remember when they were Indiana State Teachers College, but I'm a fossil.

My memory is foggy, but I think it was in '64 or '65 when both ISU and Evansville were really good. Evansville came up to Terre Haute, shot the lights out and with their quickness, pretty much blew the Sycamores out of "The Arena." I was in high school and stood in line in the snow with a buddy freezing to get tickets. SRO!

A couple of funny takeaways from that evening was the ISU fans poking fun at the long robes the Aces were wearing in the warm ups. Ol' Arad! And the moronic signs reading "Beat the River Rats" and here Terre Haute rests on the banks of the Wabash.🤣 But man, that was quite a performance by Evansville that night.
65 was Sloan’s senior year and it was argued that EU was the best team in the country. I have heard tales about Buster Briley and sorry I didn’t get to see him play.

Don’t forget SIU led by Walt Frazier during that period also.

Tickets for the ISU NIT Semi Final at Hinkle are pricey — $150 to get in.

The Hinkle renovations in 2014 reduced capacity to 9K from 11K (it was 15K 1990 and earlier) — big comfy seats and wider concourses vs bleacher seating. ISU being involved is creating a lot of demand for a smaller venue. Is what it is.

Anybody remember when the Evansville team was killed in plane crash in 1977. I was a freshman at IU at the time. Air Indiana Flight 216 was an awful tragedy and really shook the community and state.

I sure do! Horrible. Former Terre Haute South Brave, Michael Joyner, was one of the players aboard that flight. Yes. Sadly, it did impact the state.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT