ADVERTISEMENT

Was thinkin maybe Leal

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
Could have a Ryan Tapak, Mark Johnson B1G 04' Tournament type impact on this years IUs team? It's there for the chance for L3AL!

Reactions: Zeke7
Could have a Ryan Tapak, Mark Johnson B1G 04' Tournament type impact on this years IUs team? It's there for the chance for L3AL!
I didn't think Leal would impress anyone with athletic ability, but I thought he could use his knowledge of the game to become useful. Players with less ability found a way to compete. Time is running out, but maybe he will become a crafty veteran that can contribute at some point.

Reactions: kkott
I didn't think Leal would impress anyone with athletic ability, but I thought he could use his knowledge of the game to become useful. Players with less ability found a way to compete. Time is running out, but maybe he will become a crafty veteran that can contribute at some point.
As thin as we are at guard, he's likely going to get his chance. Up to him what he does with it but he's here for a reason.

As thin as we are at guard, he's likely going to get his chance. Up to him what he does with it but he's here for a reason.
Would be a kick in the nads if either of the 2 walk ons see time ahead of him.

Would be a kick in the nads if either of the 2 walk ons see time ahead of him.
Yes it would. If that were to happen, and I think it's unlikely, I'd expect this is his last year at IU and kind of expect that anyway. I've said it many times, but I never thought they should have taken both he and Galloway and should have determined who had the higher ceiling and stuck with that guy. Too much of your roster tied up in 2 guys in the same class, with largely the same skill set and position(s).

Yes it would. If that were to happen, and I think it's unlikely, I'd expect this is his last year at IU and kind of expect that anyway. I've said it many times, but I never thought they should have taken both he and Galloway and should have determined who had the higher ceiling and stuck with that guy. Too much of your roster tied up in 2 guys in the same class, with largely the same skill set and position(s).
I honestly can't remember...was Leal known as a shooter/scorer coming out of high school? Or was he a swiss army knife type player like Galloway was.

I always thought that they were different types of players.

Leal actually played some meaningful minutes early in his career, and was decent.

My best guess on his lack of time since is he probably just isn't athletic enough to defend on the perimeter, at this level. Woody has used defensive effort and/or abilities as a driver for playing time, quite a bit, since he arrived back in Bloomington.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I honestly can't remember...was Leal known as a shooter/scorer coming out of high school? Or was he a swiss army knife type player like Galloway was.

Leal actually played some meaningful minutes early in his career, and was decent.

My best guess on his lack of time since is he probably just isn't athletic enough to defend on the perimeter, at this level. Woody has used defensive effort and/or abilities as a driver for playing time, quite a bit, since he arrived back in Bloomington.
my recollection is that Leal was a good player on a very good team, and i think many on here thought/hoped he could be a good shooter, whether he was already one coming in, or could develop as one. I think much the same has happened with Gunn in that we needed shooting, so folks build their hopes up that one of the incoming freshman will be able to fill that role.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Don't forget Lander. He was in that same class, along with Duncomb and Geronimo.

Makes you realize what kind of a recruiter, evaluator, and developer that staff was.

i'm pretty sure Leal can't succeed, if he's never given a chance.

if given a chance, i think he's a lot better than given credit for, including his defense.

not sure what the thing is with he and CMW, but seems to be something.

Don't forget Lander. He was in that same class, along with Duncomb and Geronimo.

Makes you realize what kind of a recruiter, evaluator, and developer that staff was.
Lander was a 5* IN kid... the miss with him isn't just on our staff, and I think any program in the state or area wanted him.

Lander was a 5* IN kid... the miss with him isn't just on our staff, and I think any program in the state or area wanted him.
I disagree to an extent. He reclassed and then never got better. That falls on the eval and dev portion of the ledger. People that claimed to have watched him have commented that he didn't make that Reitz team better and never really won anything with them. I'm not sure they won the sectional his last year year there and they didn't win their conference. Your Cards beat them by 18 at Reitz and they had multiple double digit losses that season.

Ryan claimed that he was ready to play right now. Based on what we saw in Bloomington, I don't know how someone who watched him could have claimed that. If he was ready to play, why didn't he or why hasn't he developed? I think 2 years with the previous regime hurt him significantly.

To me, it sounded like everyone took the rankings to heart and didn't actually watch him before offering. Maybe he was AAU phenom?

Reactions: ulrey
I disagree to an extent. He reclassed and then never got better. That falls on the eval and dev portion of the ledger. People that claimed to have watched him have commented that he didn't make that Reitz team better and never really won anything with them. I'm not sure they won the sectional his last year year there and they didn't win their conference. Your Cards beat them by 18 at Reitz and they had multiple double digit losses that season.

Ryan claimed that he was ready to play right now. Based on what we saw in Bloomington, I don't know how someone who watched him could have claimed that. If he was ready to play, why didn't he or why hasn't he developed? I think 2 years with the previous regime hurt him significantly.

To me, it sounded like everyone took the rankings to heart and didn't actually watch him before offering. Maybe he was AAU phenom?
I'm just saying, IU's staff had nothing to do with him being rated a 5* kid. I agree, coming in early wasn't a good move for him because he wasn't physically mature, but I also don't think another year or 2 was going to make him a good college player. Massively overrated, and yes I agree: that ranking influenced his recruitment and I think it does quite often, all the way back to Delray Brooks.

Averaged a little over 19 ppg his last two seasons of HS for a very good team. Was a good shooter, but not great. I was hoping he'd turn himself into a better shooter to find a role, like Galloway. Still, like Galloway he was a winner and leadership isn't something you can teach.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Even if his play ability is more bench strength than starter, he can still have a great career in the game with coaching.
Or stay at IU in some capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT