ADVERTISEMENT

Was that Doyle

HurryinHoosiers

Benchwarmer
Mar 16, 2019
That Miller casually just bitch slapped about hedging? Love it, screw who ever it was. Better learn to start coming with some respect or you can leave the kitchen.

That’s kind of a D-Bag answer. Knight would have done the same thing. Guys like Crean would have explained what he was trying to do instead of being a ****.

Rabby and Archie have a pretty good relationship. They were playing with each other. Why people try and make stuff out of nothing is beyond stupid. Archie was smiling when he was giving it back to Rabs.

Reactions: Brockway
I loved the response. I loved watching the game. TJD had a mans game. Hope he doesn’t go pro after one year. He’s better than Langford IMHO.
Go Hoosiers!
I loved watching Trayce last night. He finally demanded the ball and made a statement that it's his time. I sincerely hope he continues playing with that type of mentality.

Rabby and Archie have a pretty good relationship. They were playing with each other. Why people try and make stuff out of nothing is beyond stupid. Archie was smiling when he was giving it back to Rabs.

Maybe, but Archie hears this stuff too, and I'm sure it wears on him. Look at how often it's been raised as an issue on here, and it's really not very relevant, imo. No, Brunk's not always good at it and gets too far out, but overall I think it's something we actually do pretty well, especially given how bad our guards are at staying in front of their man. They rarely actually find the hedger's man rolling to the basket with a pass. I'm confident it prevents far more baskets than it surrenders. Someone posted a link to clips of plays from MI they attributed to poor hedging. the first one I watched was Durham's man coming off a screen set by Smith's man and Smith stayed below and didn't hedge so as Durham closed out and had to get around not only the screener but also Smith, his man had already received the ball and was driving. Not a good thing when the defender is moving one way and his man is driving the other, so he got a layup. What could have prevented it (besides Durham not losing track of his man)? Smith hedging to prevent the pass!

I loved watching Trayce last night. He finally demanded the ball and made a statement that it's his time. I sincerely hope he continues playing with that type of mentality.

Trayce is a stud and has been one all year, MI game excepted. While I don't think he's great at pinning his man and making a good target, we also haven't looked for him they way we should have all year. Great things happen when he gets it in the post and we shouldn't have a half court possession that doesn't look for him. As weak has he's been in posting, (except for this game), his teammates have been worse about intentionally looking for him. They said last night, we were 7-0 when he gets a double-double, now 8-0 I believe. Feed him every time we can.

I get why Archie would get frustrated with these questions but Rabby is not the guy that deserves to be made example of.

Well our post players didn't hedge as hard as they have been, they actually showed, kept an arms length from the screener and were pretty much always between the ball and basket.

It's a simple fix. Hope it is fixed.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Maybe, but Archie hears this stuff too, and I'm sure it wears on him. Look at how often it's been raised as an issue on here, and it's really not very relevant, imo. No, Brunk's not always good at it and gets too far out, but overall I think it's something we actually do pretty well, especially given how bad our guards are at staying in front of their man. They rarely actually find the hedger's man rolling to the basket with a pass. I'm confident it prevents far more baskets than it surrenders. Someone posted a link to clips of plays from MI they attributed to poor hedging. the first one I watched was Durham's man coming off a screen set by Smith's man and Smith stayed below and didn't hedge so as Durham closed out and had to get around not only the screener but also Smith, his man had already received the ball and was driving. Not a good thing when the defender is moving one way and his man is driving the other, so he got a layup. What could have prevented it (besides Durham not losing track of his man)? Smith hedging to prevent the pass!

Brunk is horrible at hedging. Absolutely horrible. It's one of the reasons he got the quick hook last night and Race did so well. He played it properly.

Brunk is horrible at hedging. Absolutely horrible. It's one of the reasons he got the quick hook last night and Race did so well. He played it properly.

He is, but again, as bad as he is, go back and watch the # of times they actually find his man with a pass, or someone has to help on his man and theirs gets a basket. Then count how many times our guards lose their man, get beat by a simple jab step or crossover, or we fail to talk and help. It's about a 1:5+ ratio. It rarely costs us more than a basket or two a game... whereas the others cost us about 10+. It just gets so much attention because it's more obvious and now it's gotten under people's skin, including Archie from hearing about it when we've had far greater defensive problems.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Hedging a little less made sense in this game because Minny isn't a very good 3pt shooting team (I think around 31% if I remember right). I realize that hedging also helps prevent movement of the ball from one side of the court to the other side (keeping the ball contained on one side), but IU could give their shooters a little more room coming off a screen.

Last edited:
There is a reason the peegs guys usually give archie softballs. Access.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT