Walt Bell is the beginning of the end of Allen's tenure

Start the Clock.
Got any stock tips?

R.336b4c777ed1114dbbbc17dc316d3b2a

😎

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
You go 2-10 after coming into the season ranked #17, coming off 2 years of success not seen recently in your program. Not only are you 2-10 but several of those losses are embarrassing - wheels completely fall off. Offense so bad you fire the OC hours after the season is over. You and your AD watch the fan support and attendance, which started strong, fall off. You turn around and hire a guy with this track record.

They better come out tomorrow and lay out the game plan for why this makes sense or any money they saved on the bargain shelf hire will evaporate in ticket sales.

You go 2-10 after coming into the season ranked #17, coming off 2 years of success not seen recently in your program. Not only are you 2-10 but several of those losses are embarrassing - wheels completely fall off. Offense so bad you fire the OC hours after the season is over. You and your AD watch the fan support and attendance, which started strong, fall off. You turn around and hire a guy with this track record.

They better come out tomorrow and lay out the game plan for why this makes sense or any money they saved on the bargain shelf hire will evaporate in ticket sales.
This is another aspect about this hire that bums me out. Attendance plummeted obviously as this season became a disaster. I was hoping a good hire in the OC position and an overall makeover of the offensive staff would inject some enthusiasm back in the program. If Bell is the guy, and Hiller is retained, that is likely going to result in a collective shrug of the shoulders from the fan base and lots of people disguised as an empty bleacher seat next season.

I am willing to see what we see next season before hammering nails in the coffin.

But like hiring Sheridan without a search was a risk, shocking the next hire is a fired coach coming off a 3-23 record.

Is Tom Allen running a coaching rehab program with this hire?
Cleary after the debacle this year it would take a minor miracle for IU to make a bowl game next year. It is all on Allen to now prove he can coach and really if he does not win at least 5 or 6 games next year he should be done.

We will see if the fanbase bounces back next year.
Bounces back from what? We had six home games this season. Two were sellouts, another was north of 50K, Idaho was 47K and Rutgers was 40K. Only the Minnesota game sold poorly and was sparsely attended.

I couldn't believe how many of our fans, including students, showed up for the Ohio State game when, for all intents and purposes, our season ended the week before with the loss to Michigan State and we fell to 2-4.

Bounces back from what? We had six home games this season. Two were sellouts, another was north of 50K, Idaho was 47K and Rutgers was 40K. Only the Minnesota game sold poorly and was sparsely attended.

I couldn't believe how many of our fans, including students, showed up for the Ohio State game when, for all intents and purposes, our season ended the week before with the loss to Michigan State and we fell to 2-4.
That's what fans do, show up.

Can we get good attendance early in the season vs 1st 3 opponents.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This is another aspect about this hire that bums me out. Attendance plummeted obviously as this season became a disaster. I was hoping a good hire in the OC position and an overall makeover of the offensive staff would inject some enthusiasm back in the program. If Bell is the guy, and Hiller is retained, that is likely going to result in a collective shrug of the shoulders from the fan base and lots of people disguised as an empty bleacher seat next season.
If Hiller is around, I'm going to find it really difficult to muster up any effort to watch.

The last two days have been a huge gut punch for Indiana Football fans. Penix transferring out, Hoover going elsewhere, and Allen hiring a man that just completed a 3-23 tenure at UMASS.

Are you kidding me?? 😳 I'm staggered by these events, completely shell-shocked. I've followed iu football for too long to see this happening now. I personally think Scott Dolson is a big problem. I wouldn't trust a basketball person to be a good steward of the football program.

The lack of commitment to football is driving me away.

The last two days have been a huge gut punch for Indiana Football fans. Penix transferring out, Hoover going elsewhere, and Allen hiring a man that just completed a 3-23 tenure at UMASS.

Are you kidding me?? 😳 I'm staggered by these events, completely shell-shocked. I've followed iu football for too long to see this happening now. I personally think Scott Dolson is a big problem. I wouldn't trust a basketball person to be a good steward of the football program.

Penix transferring was entirely expected, not a gut punch.

I strongly disagree it was "entirely expected".

If you can link some posts where his impending transfer was discussed, then I will agree that this was "entirely expected"
Okay, better framing: You thought he was likely back next year? You think most of the fanbase thought he was likely back next year?

Okay, better framing: You thought he was likely back next year? You think most of the fanbase thought he was likely back next year?
Like I said, find any post discussing him not being here next year.

Until then, your position remains fictional.

I’d say the previewed announcement for Bell is likely true, based on the 60% run, 40% pass splits in Bell’s spread option background. QB will be expected to pull the ball on the option about 4-7 times a game.

60% run split may have been a factor for Hoover’s decision.

I certainly did not think it was likely. Honestly, I thought he would step out of the roster, and focus on his career whether that is in the FB business or in another industry. I hope he does well wherever he lands

Tom Allen is a great coach. But he's unbelievably hamstrung by our AD.
You think Dolson forced this hire? TA knows this move can cost him his job if it doesn't work. I like TA, but this is likely his Waterloo, his Little Bighorn. We needed a big move to turn things around and we got another Debord.

I won't compile the internet for you, but here are a few queries:

If that's unsatisfying, the best thing for you going forward would just be to work on being more intuitive to address the disconnect you're feeling with what's going on.

I’d say the previewed announcement for Bell is likely true, based on the 60% run, 40% pass splits in Bell’s spread option background. QB will be expected to pull the ball on the option about 4-7 times a game.

And we’re sitting on a room full of walk on RBs. Awesome.

Reactions: DANC
This is a pretty amazing hire to me by it's sheer shocking incompetence. In his two best years at Arkansas State he average 6 yards a play which is about the 40th best per play rate in the country. That's a good spot. But that was coaching offensive guru Blake Anderson. He had a great Indiana comparable in Maryland. Only Rutgers would be closer, and there he averaged 5.6 yards a play and then 5.1. Both really lousy numbers. And the followed it up with lousy numbers at FSU (5.1). Then followed it up with not being to do anything on offense for two years at UMASS. No power 5 school was going to hire this guy. I just don't get it. I like Tom Allen, but I think this is death knell. This is a bottom quartile coordinator. He's light years better than Sheridan (4.25 yards/play), but 5.0 yards a play is not going to cut it. Think Illinois.

Last edited:
Last year, we were at exactly 5 yards a play. So I guess if our defense miraculously picks off 30 passes we could have a winning season.

I’m not nearly as upset about Penix as you. I appreciate the moments he provided but he became an albatross around the program’s neck. If he stuck around we would be compelled to start him in hopes of what is potential was, knowing all the while that he was unlikely to deliver on it.

I really don’t understand the commitment argument. Our facilities may not be tops in the B1G but they are as close to being on par with the best than they have ever been. Dolson paid CTA with a big time contract and threw a bunch of money at the staff. He provided the big bucks to bring in Weller and McCollough. If the $700,000 figure is confirmed, that was more than enough to attract a solid OC. Our problems are rooted in poor personnel decisions made by CTA (I.e Sheridan, Hiller, Weller and now Bell) - it has nothing to do with AD’s commitment.

Plays into McCulley's strengths, I guess.

It's not like Sheridan was a passing genius.

Reactions: 76-1

Lots of talking heads were saying Penix likely will go, more out of a “he probably needs a fresh start somewhere else” more than anything negative. So not sure it was all over this board, but I personally was not caught off guard as I said, had heard the chatter and it actually makes sense to me. He probably fees “snake but” at IU and after regression of last season wants a new change of scenery. I wish him well and actually think might be good for IU too to not have the “ghost of Penix in OSU second half” hanging over the program. New OC, new transfers, new reset to a terrible 2020 season for all.

They came to watch Ohio State!

If that's unsatisfying, the best thing for you going forward would just be to work on being more intuitive to address the disconnect you're feeling with what's going on.
Again

I'll give you credit for finding those. But they are a couple posts speculating on who might not return. However they still dont support your position. There was no consensus at all to "expect' him to leave as you have stated. Many, many, many more people were expecting him to return.

Again

I'll give you credit for finding those. But they are a couple posts speculating on who might not return. However they still dont support your position. There was no consensus at all to "expect' him to leave as you have stated. Many, many, many more people were expecting him to return.
I mean you'd have to do the exact same thing as me to support that last sentence. I have no doubt that things lean more towards expecting him to leave than expecting him to stay. I mean just think about what it might be to be Michael Penix right now: an absolutely mentally and physically battered veteran player at a program that is having a dark moment and that can't provide him any assurance that next year will be okay (especially since we're in the most unforgiving conference division in football), where he might not earn a starting job next year anyway, where his qb coach and coordinator just lost his job...in a world where there is so much precedence for final year transferring. Wouldn't a fresh start sound nice to you? It would have to seem plausible.

I mean you'd have to do the exact same thing as me to support that last sentence. I have no doubt that things lean more towards expecting him to leave than expecting him to stay. I mean just think about what it might be to be Michael Penix right now: an absolutely mentally and physically battered veteran player at a program that is having a dark moment and that can't provide him any assurance that next year will be okay (especially since we're in the most unforgiving conference division in football), where he might not earn a starting job next year anyway, where his qb coach and coordinator just lost his job...in a world where there is so much precedence for final year transferring. Wouldn't a fresh start sound nice to you? It would have to seem plausible.

Yep, was there a ton of public chatter about Penix leaving? No, but given his circumstances and the current environment in college football as a whole, Penix leaving probably the norm, so not really shocking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT