ADVERTISEMENT

Virgina Governor’s hours are numbered, per any standard

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
A 25 year old medical student in the mid 1980s in blackface with someone in a Klan outfit!!? And it’s made even worse by the fact that he did not resign immediately.

Ok, to be “fair,” it’s not yet clear if he’s the one in blackface or in the Klan outfit.

A 25 year old medical student in the mid 1980s in blackface with someone in a Klan outfit!!? And it’s made even worse by the fact that he did not resign immediately.

I think we should keep him comfortable while we discuss whether he deserves a political life.

Ok, to be “fair,” it’s not yet clear if he’s the one in blackface or in the Klan outfit.
I thought I saw on Politico that he admitted he was one of those pictured.

FTR, I think it was a stupid stunt pulled by a med school kid and he shouldn’t have to pay with his career. He should be able to apologize and everyone move on.

But that’s not where we are now. EVERYTHING is offensive and everyone must pay with their heads.

It’s a sad commentary on where we are as a nation.

Reactions: meridian
I thought I saw on Politico that he admitted he was one of those pictured.

FTR, I think it was a stupid stunt pulled by a med school kid and he shouldn’t have to pay with his career. He should be able to apologize and everyone move on.

But that’s not where we are now. EVERYTHING is offensive and everyone must pay with their heads.

It’s a sad commentary on where we are as a nation.
OK, we now where you stand. Who’s up next for showing their true colors.

And yes, it is a sad commentary, but not on where we are as a nation.

Oh, and a 25 year old med school grad is not a kid.

Oh, you were looking for serious responses? I thought the thread was rhetorical. ;)

I'll go: There's no political upside for Northam to hang on. His administration is completely neutered. And the Lt. Gov is an extremely attractive candidate for the big chair. Ivy League, prosecutor in EDVA, bright career in Democratic politics. Oh, and of course, a relatively young black man.

Democrats in Virginia should be the first ones calling for Northam to step down.

LMAO

He took a stupid, ill conceived photo THIRTY FIVE FREAKING YEARS AGO!!!

You think he deserves to lose an entire life of public service for that?

You’d have made a fine Jacobin.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
LMAO

He took a stupid, ill conceived photo THIRTY FIVE FREAKING YEARS AGO!!!

You think he deserves to lose an entire life of public service for that?

You’d have made a fine Jacobin.

I am not sure what to think of it yet, but I would feel more favorable if he had came out and admitted being stupid in med school.

Oh, you were looking for serious responses? I thought the thread was rhetorical. ;)

I'll go: There's no political upside for Northam to hang on. His administration is completely neutered. And the Lt. Gov is an extremely attractive candidate for the big chair. Ivy League, prosecutor in EDVA, bright career in Democratic politics. Oh, and of course, a relatively young black man.

Democrats in Virginia should be the first ones calling for Northam to step down.
There shouldn’t even be an analysis of the political upside or downside on this one. Frankly, he should have been in front of this before he ever ran for office.

There shouldn’t even be an analysis of the political upside or downside on this one. Frankly, he should have been in front of this before he ever ran for office.
Yes, he should have. I'm not sure what the fact that he didn't really says about him. Long story short, I don't see any lens through which to analyze this other than politics.

Yes, he should have. I'm not sure what the fact that he didn't really says about him. Long story short, I don't see any lens through which to analyze this other than politics.
Isn’t it amazing that this never came out before? Must have been a really small run of those yearbooks.

Yep. He can go back to being a doctor.
Jesus. Use your head. You KNOW the guys not a racist. He made a MISTAKE when he was young and stupid. Why does one minor mistake made 35 years ago suddenly make an otherwise admirable human being irredeemable?

I mean, far be it from me to grouse when the left eats one of their own, but this crap has gone WAY WAY overboard.

It’s like the tards on twitter run the world now.

Isn’t it amazing that this never came out before? Must have been a really small run of those yearbooks.
Yeah. You would have thought someone would have put it out there during the campaign. Unless all the other candidates also have secret blackface photos out there somewhere, and no one wanted to make it a thing.

Jesus. Use your head. You KNOW the guys not a racist. He made a MISTAKE when he was young and stupid. Why does one minor mistake made 35 years ago suddenly make an otherwise admirable human being irredeemable?

I mean, far be it from me to grouse when the left eats one of their own, but this crap has gone WAY WAY overboard.

It’s like the tards on twitter run the world now.
You don't know it yet, but you're about to have a really bad night around these parts.

Huh? What’s there to discuss?
I don't think he should resign. I think most, if not all of the outrage is faked. I am tired of judging people by the worst moments of their lives, or by a single stupid youthful act. Somehow we need to move on and judge people by their body of work and what they have done with their lives in toto.

That said, I think what he said about abortion is outrageous and I am not faking that outrage. He deserves every kind of condemnation for that comment. That is current news, not ancient history. But he need not resign for that either.

He should go. Now.

That was bad- even then.

It’s the right thing to do.

I don't think he should resign. I think most, if not all of the outrage is faked. I am tired of judging people by the worst moments of their lives, or by a single stupid youthful act. Somehow we need to move on and judge people by their body of work and what they have done with their lives in toto.
And we have a second winner.
A youthful act? As a 25 year old med school grad?
And what he did is forgivable and largely irrelevant for a doctor, a plumber, etc. But not for a governor, especially one who sat in office hoping no one would ever find that yearbook.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
And we have a second winner.
A youthful act? As a 25 year old med school grad?
And what he did is forgivable and largely irrelevant for a doctor, a plumber, etc. But not for a governor, especially one who sat in office hoping no one would ever find that yearbook.
You have to give CO credit for blindly applying a universal standard, rather than doing a 180 purely for partisan reasons.

That said, I think what he said about abortion is outrageous and I am not faking that outrage. He deserves every kind of condemnation for that comment. That is current news, not ancient history. But he need not resign for that either.
RACIST!!!

Northam made a serious mistake 35 years ago. He may have changed over the years, and is a better man now. I don’t know. What I do know, is he needs to resign as Governor of Virginia by Monday morning.
He could resign tonight too

Everyone deserves forgiveness and redemption. That process will begin for Northam as soon as he resigns. It could have started years ago, but he chose not to allow that to happen by his silence.

He could resign tonight too

Everyone deserves forgiveness and redemption. That process will begin for Northam as soon as he resigns. It could have started years ago, but he chose not to allow that to happen by his silence.
Now that we've fleshed this out a bit, I think I've come around to your way of thinking. This is more than just political (although it's very much political, too). Boxer's comment nailed it: "You disgrace our party and our country."

Reactions: Noodle
Robert Byrd, an ACTUAL MEMBER OF THE KKK, served with distinction in the senate until 2010, and I’m supposed to be outraged by this?
He sure was. And George Washington owned slaves. But what’s your point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT