ADVERTISEMENT

Update . . .

Update to the update. Thank you all who responded. Each post meant a lot to someone like me.

I've moved up my move in date to Tuesday. So I'll be packing tomorrow. Why? Everybody told me to. Sons, the lady I hired to find an assisted living center and former director of an assisted living center, my ER doctor.

Why? I've fallen five times in the last week, once cracking my head open on a Kroger floor, requiring four stitches. I get them out this morning. And my left shoulder is hurting. Bad. Rotator cuff I think.

Falls outside of Kroger? Once getting out of the shower, once outside of Panda Express and twice yesterday, changing sheets. Oh, and to Ranger and Aloha: yep, it all resulted after my head injury and yes, I was healthy. Hiked for miles every day. Things change fast with a traumatic brain injury. Funny thing, I was never prone to this stuff until I fell that one time. I was 67. Played football against bigger dudes, got in fights with tougher dudes, hit my head on harder surfaces; nothing except stitches. This one thing and my life is history. Or so it seems. NPH, remember the term. Normal pressure hydrocephalus. Untreated, it's bad news. WhyIsIUBBallCursed you're the doc. Tell them.

I have secondary NPH. I can point to the date mine occurred. I've got pics. The real heroes are the ones with idiopathic NPH. Theirs is spontaneous.
That's awful. I know life can change very quickly. as I've found out.

I hope there is some therapy you can do to mitigate your condition. Maybe some therapy in a pool - I know it's helped my balance. I started because of a knee injury, but found it really helped me with my balance.

Don't give up and keep looking for ways to improve. My best wishes for better health for you.

Reactions: 76-1 and Ty Webb iu
Update to the update. Thank you all who responded. Each post meant a lot to someone like me.

I've moved up my move in date to Tuesday. So I'll be packing tomorrow. Why? Everybody told me to. Sons, the lady I hired to find an assisted living center and former director of an assisted living center, my ER doctor.

Why? I've fallen five times in the last week, once cracking my head open on a Kroger floor, requiring four stitches. I get them out this morning. And my left shoulder is hurting. Bad. Rotator cuff I think.

Falls outside of Kroger? Once getting out of the shower, once outside of Panda Express and twice yesterday, changing sheets. Oh, and to Ranger and Aloha: yep, it all resulted after my head injury and yes, I was healthy. Hiked for miles every day. Things change fast with a traumatic brain injury. Funny thing, I was never prone to this stuff until I fell that one time. I was 67. Played football against bigger dudes, got in fights with tougher dudes, hit my head on harder surfaces; nothing except stitches. This one thing and my life is history. Or so it seems. NPH, remember the term. Normal pressure hydrocephalus. Untreated, it's bad news. WhyIsIUBBallCursed you're the doc. Tell them.

I have secondary NPH. I can point to the date mine occurred. I've got pics. The real heroes are the ones with idiopathic NPH. Theirs is spontaneous.
Yes. NPH sucks. Sorry, dude.

Reactions: Sope Creek

Thanks for the update Sope, life will be different but hopefully not "history" as you put it.

Sope there’s shit out there. And that you can throw under a ball cap or just look a little like a hippie. No biggie. From simple impact mitigation to more complex like below

Sope, so sorry to be reading this. Our thoughts and prayers here with my family are with you and your family. I sincerely hope you're in a better position now to be safe and enjoy time time with your sons and their families.

In Georgia through mid-October. You need me to smuggle in any Woodford? You know, for medicinal purposes, of course.

Take care and be good.

Sorry to hear of your health challenges, while we've seemingly never agreed about anything on here I wouldn't wish what you're going through on anyone... Here's hoping your doctors will find a breakthrough resolution to your malady...

In the meantime an investment in a lightweight climbing helmet might help mitigate further head injuries... Now I don't know what causes your falls but if it's a spatial disorientation issue try focusing on vertical lines or objects in the vertical...

I'll say a prayer for you...

Are they going to try to install shunts?

What a bummer.... like I told you in my private message our lives can change so quickly so everyone should try to enjoy every day to the fullest. I hope something can be done to improve your condition. Hang in there my fellow Coolerite.

Sorry to hear Sope. I know we don't generally see eye-to-eye but I wish you a high quality of life and hope that time is long-lived, for your and your kids' sake. Life seems unfair sometimes.

Sope, really sad to hear you are going through this. Life can be brutally unfair and this is definitely not the way we imagine living our golden years.

Hope you can continue to post here when you can, as well as finding some peace in this stage of life.

Are they going to try to install shunts?
You've done some homework. That's the primary treatment.

The solution is available for up to a year. I have a neurologist appointment on NOV. 25, the first available in the Southeast. My TBI occurred almost 2 years ago, so the neurosurgeon I consulted said "no shunt" in July, after the spinal tap (which wasn't bad). The medical system is working against me. I encourage all folks who have a TBI to seek medical help from their PCP ASAP.

Last edited:
In Georgia through mid-October. You need me to smuggle in any Woodford? You know, for medicinal purposes, of course.

Take care and be good.
Gave my Woodford to my move organizer. I don't need it any more. I can fall down like a drunk without it.

Best of wishes to you my man...I of all, know just how fast life can cahnge---and in a blink. The one bit of advice I can give---and I had to learn this myself, IS.................Dont depend on just you. Its ok to need help. And its ok to ask. Doesnt make us lesser of a man; and man was that a hard pill to swallow(for me).

Many of thoughts and prayers for you.

How do you like my prediction today?
“8 wins minimum” is pretty damn aggressive. But after last night’s game, who knows? Injuries, bad calls, bad breaks, etc.

Would definitely love to see it.

I really, really loved the clip of Cignetti walking off the field after the game and the IU faithful shouting, “Cig, Cig, Cig” and he raises his hands high.

“8 wins minimum” is pretty damn aggressive. But after last night’s game, who knows? Injuries, bad calls, bad breaks, etc.

Would definitely love to see it.

I really, really loved the clip of Cignetti walking off the field after the game and the IU faithful shouting, “Cig, Cig, Cig” and he raises his hands high.
If he gets 8 wins, we better extend him now otherwise he's somewhere else next year.

I bet there is, won't be enough if we win 8. Especially if Day loses to Michigan again.
Chip Kelly has been told to have his drape-measuring tape measure ready to go if Michigan wins a fourth straight game over the Nuts.

Problem is that Michigan likely won’t have a particularly good season and OSU will likely kick their butts this year.

Chip Kelly has been told to have his drape-measuring tape measure ready to go if Michigan wins a fourth straight game over the Nuts.

Problem is that Michigan likely won’t have a particularly good season and OSU will likely kick their butts this year.
Hmmm . . . I had assumed Chip Kelley was the designated successor to Day.

I've got UCLA and Florida on my possibles list.
UCLA will keep DeShaun there another year. I doubt Florida - the expections are sky high and he's got a good thing going at IU. Anything 8 wins or above here and he's a god. Dolson will match, or come damn close, to any other offers.

If anything, I'd be more worried about the NFL. Carolina desperately needs a coach.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
Best of wishes to you my man...I of all, know just how fast life can cahnge---and in a blink. The one bit of advice I can give---and I had to learn this myself, IS.................Dont depend on just you. Its ok to need help. And its ok to ask. Doesnt make us lesser of a man; and man was that a hard pill to swallow(for me).

Many of thoughts and prayers for you.
Good post. Asking for help is hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT