ADVERTISEMENT

Update . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
NPT inquired how I'm doing, so I thought I'd give everybody else an update too. I will be moving to assisted living on September 16, 2024 in order to improve my quality of life. I expect to relinquish my car soon thereafter. Greater good, ya know? Mrs. Sope isn't anymore. That's all I'll say about that. I'll see my sons tomorrow. That's good.

It's amazing how fast things can change.

I told NPT about how a friend of mine, upon hearing about the Cooler from me, said it sounds a lot like a bunch of porcupines huddled in the snow. I thought it apt.

Every time I come here, that's the image I get.

Take care of yourselves.

NPT inquired how I'm doing, so I thought I'd give everybody else an update too. I will be moving to assisted living on September 16, 2024 in order to improve my quality of life. I expect to relinquish my car soon thereafter. Greater good, ya know? Mrs. Sope isn't anymore. That's all I'll say about that. I'll see my sons tomorrow. That's good.

I told NPT about how a friend of mine, upon hearing about the Cooler from me, said it sounds a lot like a bunch of porcupines huddled in the snow. I thought it apt.

Take care of yourselves.
WTF?

Take care of yourselves.
F*cking hell that’s a lot. Even for a smart, strong dude like yourself. Enjoy your sons. Fall sports are here. Even though they certainly feel weird. Oregon Idaho on the big ten network? Really? But something to enjoy and distract. You’ll adjust sope. Day by day. And You’ve got a board here whose politics may be polar but collectively have seen it all. Show up even if it’s only to vent and commiserate. 🙏❤️💪

Take care of yourselves.
Gods speed brother. And your visual of the cooler, seems pretty accurate.

Take care of yourselves.

Best wishes Sope.

Reactions: cosmickid

Take care of yourselves.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Sope. I hope things start to look up for you soon.

Take care of yourselves.
Hey, man. Assisted living ain’t the end. You can enjoy life still. Sorry about your wife.

Reactions: ulrey

Take care of yourselves.
Wow! I had no idea. Best wishes, man.

I thought you were a youngster, at least as young as me, and healthy.

Reactions: cosmickid
Don’t tel her anything different. Let her take care of you and continue to act as helpless as possible. I started when I was married at 24. 29 years later I’ve still never let on that I know how to operate the controls on a washer/dryer
I don’t know where the keys to the oven are kept. Thus, I don’t have to cook.

Take care of yourselves.
Sorry for your health issues.

Good luck to you Sir.

Take care of yourselves.
Sope, you may not even remember this but allow me to share a personal missive about the type of person I think you are. Back in the olden times when we used to have to throw our email addresses on our posts, I was having a go around with Buzz and kept getting things deleted. You ended up personally reaching out by email and had a polite conversation with me about how things kind of worked on the forum and told me to just hang in there. We didn't agree but you took time to reach out to a younger new guy and encourage him to stick around. We could probably use more of that around here these days.

So right back at ya my guy. Just hang in there. Life is throwing some stuff at you that doesn't seem fair and I am sure what you have shared is only a fraction of what you are going through at the moment. Take care of yourself and we'll say a little prayer for you. Best wishes.

Take care of yourselves.

Sope, thanks for taking The Cooler seriously enough to let us know what is happening in your life. We do care.

Miss you Sope, but sense you will make the best of your new life.

Don't forget us completely.

Take care of yourselves.
This is from your head injury you sustained?

Take care of yourselves.
God bless you Sope Creek. This is not an easy time for you. But you can do it. I remember an elderly farmer's wife I used to visit in Zionsville. She had one of those motorized chairs. She was so good at maneuvering it I told her she could enter a contest and win big. Please keep in contact with us if you can. We porcupines need ya.

God bless you Sope Creek. This is not an easy time for you. But you can do it. I remember an elderly farmer's wife I used to visit in Zionsville. She had one of those motorized chairs. She was so good at maneuvering it I told her she could enter a contest and win big. Please keep in contact with us if you can. We porcupines need ya.
With Uber you can get picked up in two seconds. Nothing like the old days of waiting on cabs etc.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
With Uber you can get picked up in two seconds. Nothing like the old days of waiting on cabs etc.
The lady I was talking about was in an assisted living spot. It was pretty nice but I do remember her complaining about the food. She said, "Pastor, they put tomato paste in everything". lol

Take care of yourselves.
Oh man - really sorry to read all that you’re dealing with. All of us porcupines are pulling for you Sope.

• Love
Reactions: TommyCracker

Take care of yourselves.
I think about you often. Even though we’ve had some blunt exchanges here, my stoker and I appreciate the lunch we had together and with Alex and consider you a friend. Take care and come around as you are able.

Reactions: TommyCracker

Take care of yourselves.
I pray that you maintain your sensibilities and keep your sense of humor. I'll take you at your word in terms of improving the quality of your life. I've witnessed such a move many times - often the change becomes surprisingly welcome after initial, natural reticence. I believe that you will bring good things to the other residents. Some could benefit with some exposure to a great philosopher. Make them think.

I've heard it said that bankruptcy happens very slowly....and then very fast. Similarly with aging, without doubt. I implore the youngsters in my life to value every day...the sights, smells, freedoms, relationships.

I can understand the porcupine analogy, but I'm more of an armadillo.

Reactions: larsIU

Take care of yourselves.
Sorry, to hear that. A couple versus I really love in times of need and give me peace.

Psalm 34:18
“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.”

Joshua 1:9
“This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged.
For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

Speaking of sons, both of mine recently broke their right wrists within 10 days of each other. Boys are the best😂 Enjoy your time with your sons. Take care and I wish joy and peace in your new season of life.

Sorry, to hear that. A couple versus I really love in times of need and give me peace.

Psalm 34:18
“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.”

Joshua 1:9
“This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged.
For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

Speaking of sons, both of mine recently broke their right wrists within 10 days of each other. Boys are the best😂 Enjoy your time with your sons. Take care and I wish joy and peace in your new season of life.
Maybe you should take their laptops away.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, Sope. I hope you find peace, and get feeling better soon!!

Take care of yourselves.
Sorry to hear about your wife and your troubles. Hope things improve for you.

Take care of yourselves.
Update to the update. Thank you all who responded. Each post meant a lot to someone like me.

I've moved up my move in date to Tuesday. So I'll be packing tomorrow. Why? Everybody told me to. Sons, the lady I hired to find an assisted living center and former director of an assisted living center, my ER doctor.

Why? I've fallen five times in the last week, once cracking my head open on a Kroger floor, requiring four stitches. I get them out this morning. And my left shoulder is hurting. Bad. Rotator cuff I think.

Falls outside of Kroger? Once getting out of the shower, once outside of Panda Express and twice yesterday, changing sheets. Oh, and to Ranger and Aloha: yep, it all resulted after my head injury and yes, I was healthy. Hiked for miles every day. Things change fast with a traumatic brain injury. Funny thing, I was never prone to this stuff until I fell that one time. I was 67. Played football against bigger dudes, got in fights with tougher dudes, hit my head on harder surfaces; nothing except stitches. This one thing and my life is history. Or so it seems. NPH, remember the term. Normal pressure hydrocephalus. Untreated, it's bad news. WhyIsIUBBallCursed you're the doc. Tell them.

I have secondary NPH. I can point to the date mine occurred. I've got pics. The real heroes are the ones with idiopathic NPH. Theirs is spontaneous.

Last edited:
Update to the update. Thank you all who responded. Each post meant a lot to someone like me.

I've moved up my move in date to Tuesday. So I'll be packing tomorrow. Why? Everybody told me to. Sons, the lady I hired to find an assisted living center and former director of an assisted living center, my ER doctor.

Why? I've fallen five times in the last week, once cracking my head open on a Kroger floor, requiring four stitches. I get them out this morning. And my left shoulder is hurting. Bad. Rotator cuff I think.

Falls outside of Kroger? Once getting out of the shower, once outside of Panda Express and twice yesterday, changing sheets. Oh, and to Ranger and Aloha: yep, it all resulted after my head injury and yes, I was healthy. Hiked for miles every day. Things change fast with a traumatic brain injury. Funny thing, I was never prone to this stuff until I fell that one time. I was 67. Played football against bigger dudes, got in fights with tougher dudes, hit my head on harder surfaces; nothing except stitches. This one thing and my life is history. Or so it seems. NPH, remember the term. Normal pressure hydrocephalus. Untreated, it's bad news. WhyIsIUBBallCursed you're the doc. Tell them.

I have secondary NPH. I can point to the date mine occurred. I've got pics. The real heroes are the ones with idiopathic NPH. Theirs is spontaneous.
Sope….I feel terrible for you. I wish you well and that things will start to look up for you.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Thanks for the update to your update. All my best to you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT