ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated

IUCharlie5

Redshirt
Jul 31, 2017
I did a little research for myself and decided to share....I believe this year's team is being greatly underrated to start the season and this is why...
4 Star Robert Johnson (Natl Comp Ranked 49) (Offered by North Carolina, Florida State, Georgetown, Alabama, Virginia and more)
4 Star Curtis Jones (Natl Comp Ranked 74) (Offered by Georgetown, Maryland, Xavier, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Virginia, Cincinnati and more)
4 Star Juwan Morgan (Natl Comp Ranked 110) (Offered by Missouri, Washington, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Iowa and more)
4 Star De'ron Davis (Natl Comp Ranked 41) (Offered by Arizona, UCLA, Mississippi State, UCONN, Texas, Purdue and more)
4 Star Justin Smith (Natl Comp Ranked 77) (Offered by Villanova, Florida State, Illinois, Stanford, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, Xavier, Northwestern and more)
Add in guys like Collin Hartman who has tons of experience and Clifton Moore who has upside and hopefully guys like Devonte Green and Josh Newkirk can step up and we COULD have a solid team. All im saying is we have two guys that were top 50 in their recruiting class, two more that were easily top 100 players in theirs, and then Juwan who is borderline top 100 and a few that are solid rotational players combined with Archie Miller and we should have a tournament team this year. IF IT PLAYS OUT RIGHT.

I did a little research for myself and decided to share....I believe this year's team is being greatly underrated to start the season and this is why...
4 Star Robert Johnson (Natl Comp Ranked 49) (Offered by North Carolina, Florida State, Georgetown, Alabama, Virginia and more)
4 Star Curtis Jones (Natl Comp Ranked 74) (Offered by Georgetown, Maryland, Xavier, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Virginia, Cincinnati and more)
4 Star Juwan Morgan (Natl Comp Ranked 110) (Offered by Missouri, Washington, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Iowa and more)
4 Star De'ron Davis (Natl Comp Ranked 41) (Offered by Arizona, UCLA, Mississippi State, UCONN, Texas, Purdue and more)
4 Star Justin Smith (Natl Comp Ranked 77) (Offered by Villanova, Florida State, Illinois, Stanford, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, Xavier, Northwestern and more)
Add in guys like Collin Hartman who has tons of experience and Clifton Moore who has upside and hopefully guys like Devonte Green and Josh Newkirk can step up and we COULD have a solid team. All im saying is we have two guys that were top 50 in their recruiting class, two more that were easily top 100 players in theirs, and then Juwan who is borderline top 100 and a few that are solid rotational players combined with Archie Miller and we should have a tournament team this year. IF IT PLAYS OUT RIGHT.

I'm kinda with you on this...I'm reigning in expectations as it is CAM's first year, new offence/defense/staff, etc. Team chemistry may be impacted by CAM's systems/processes/expectations and the way players engage...but there is...as I think you've demonstrated in your post...a nucleus of talent here that CAM (and I don't know the talent he had previously...might be an interesting analysis) hasn't worked with before...(I'm also guessing a schedule of teams with the kind of talent he hasn't faced before).

Reactions: ORG
Chemistry. RoJo is a four-year Sr., Collin has been around for five and it's Newkirk's third year (he sat for a year but practiced with the Team as I understand it during that time). Those three, and even Priller (whom I honestly think may see his first real in-game minutes this year) are in some ways the nucleus of the "chemistry" on the Floor and in many things relating to the Season, CAM's lordship notwithstanding.

I liked learning last year that DD, CuJo and Devo all room/hang together, seemed to bode well for the future, like that there don't seem to be any numbskulls/primadonnas on the Team or glaring personality issues, but that's not to say that everyone is more or less in sync...

Biggest area of concern for me is floor leadership - having Collin back will doubtless help, do expect Juwan to be a more outspoken this year, but imagine that someone(s) among IU's returning backcourt quartet needs to perform as an extension of what Cam is trying to do and to some extent, take charge offensively. Think the Defense will be fine given Cam's rep, just wondering how well it's going to work in the other direction in terms of bringing the ball up the Floor.

Reactions: IUgradman
I'm intrigued to see what CAM can do as well. It's a solid although not great roster no doubt. If Coach K or Izzo had this roster they'd easily be preseason top 20.

Reactions: mazz and IUgradman
There are a lot of ifs with this group. Of course I hope the best but also prepare for the worst. I remember when I took my wife to the only game she has been to. It was in Crean's first yr and IU was playing Lipscomb. We lost that game. I remember on the way home thinking, "We lost to Lipscomb and I don't even know where it is".

Why not...
It's not a top 20 roster. Unproven in the post, unproven at the point, minus a big chunk of scoring from last year, players who have never valued the ball or played defense (individually or as a team) and a modest recruiting class. It takes more than a new coach to flip mediocre performance.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Stars don't matter after freshmen arrive. Seniors with experience in the Big Ten are all equivalent to 4 star recruits or better. Not to mention Kentucky to their 5star group of frosh to the NIT a few years ago and got spanked.

Some of you guys need to get over the recruiting side of things.

I don't care how many stars. IU needs to guard Bryant McIntosh and Isaac Haas.

Stars don't matter after freshmen arrive. Seniors with experience in the Big Ten are all equivalent to 4 star recruits or better. Not to mention Kentucky to their 5star group of frosh to the NIT a few years ago and got spanked.

Some of you guys need to get over the recruiting side of things.

I don't care how many stars. IU needs to guard Bryant McIntosh and Isaac Haas.

Somewhat true. Kentucky also rode a bunch of freshmen to the national championship game and several other deep tourney runs.

It's not a top 20 roster. Unproven in the post, unproven at the point, minus a big chunk of scoring from last year, players who have never valued the ball or played defense (individually or as a team) and a modest recruiting class. It takes more than a new coach to flip mediocre performance.

I never said it was but it's a solid roster and if a HOF coach had this roster they'd be preseason top 20. I stand by that.

Why not...
I doubt all projected top 20 rosters are proven in the post or point. This is al pretty subjective anyway so you could at least make a case for 15 -20 based on others I those slots.

I do believe Miller will do very well but it wont be in season one. The expectations should be really be about where the program is by year 3. I put zero into this season, hopes of an NCAA birth in year 2 but by season three (hopefully) a top 10 team ready to make a run. I know there are guys back but with adjusting to new coach and system Im not going to expect a whole lot. Considering the non conference schedule and early start to BIG it could get ugly. Have faith though I do but I urge again not going to happen right away.

I do believe Miller will do very well but it wont be in season one. The expectations should be really be about where the program is by year 3. I put zero into this season, hopes of an NCAA birth in year 2 but by season three (hopefully) a top 10 team ready to make a run. I know there are guys back but with adjusting to new coach and system Im not going to expect a whole lot. Considering the non conference schedule and early start to BIG it could get ugly. Have faith though I do but I urge again not going to happen right away.

If we land Romeo and Garland we'll be national title contenders in year 2.

I really think this years team can finish in the top 5 or 6 in the conference and make the tournament.

I really think this years team can finish in the top 5 or 6 in the conference and make the tournament.
I'm really hoping Davis, Jones and Green improve a notch or two this year. I think all the other returnees (with possible exception of Morgan, who is already pretty good) have already established a ceiling.

See I just feel like with a new coach/system plus losing the guys we did and NOT making the tourney last doenst set to well but then again you never know. Im not getting my hopes up in year 1 for CAM.

I've watched some highlight videos of Justin Smith and I'm wondering why he doesn't get talked about more. Seems to me he'll be a really good player for us. Anyone watch him in person?

I doubt all projected top 20 rosters are proven in the post or point. This is al pretty subjective anyway so you could at least make a case for 15 -20 based on others I those slots.
Have yet to see anyone make a persuasive case based on IU's roster and the various weaknesses I outlined, which go beyond just the post and the point. Too many question marks that must all be answered affirmatively.

I never said it was but it's a solid roster and if a HOF coach had this roster they'd be preseason top 20. I stand by that.

Except preseason polls are subjective opinions based on three thoughts, "What did they do last year? Who did they lose? Who did they gain?

Considering that we finished tied for 10th, lost 3 players to early entry and didn't have a ranked class coming in... There's no reason anyone voting on a preseason poll would have us in the Top 20 regardless of who the coach is. It's just dumb to think they would.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Somewhat true. Kentucky also rode a bunch of freshmen to the national championship game and several other deep tourney runs.

Extreme case, UK, although I think there is nothing wrong with you pointing that out. Even Calipari would acknowledge that he'd rather have some experience on his team.

Knight used to say that experience wasn't that big of a deal because 'either a kid can play or he can't'. But time and again, experienced teams and teams with a balance of talent+experience have had the most success, with some obvious notable exceptions like the Fab 5 and several recent UK teams. Perhaps a Knight follow up would have been that "listening" or the "ability to understand what we are trying to do" is what separates good from bad teams, but even that can get better with experience. Experience of being benched for not doing what the team is "trying to do". I am hopeful that Archie Miller gets IU back to this where there are advantages of playing the system well, in terms of playing time.

The 1989 Big Ten title team will forever be the perfect example of how a team can win if they are all committed and play well together.

In comparison, in the Vanderbilt NIT game in Marshall Strickland's senior year, there was a shot clock violation where the team just sort of froze and Marshall stood there dribbling out the clock, not knowing what to do. It was perhaps the saddest example of how the opposite can also be true with a coach unable to get his seniors to understand what he wants on the floor.

See I just feel like with a new coach/system plus losing the guys we did and NOT making the tourney last doenst set to well but then again you never know. Im not getting my hopes up in year 1 for CAM.
I think the reason we did not make the tournament last year had more to do with Crean and the atmosphere around the program. I thought by the end of the last year that Newkirk was playing very well and him and Johnson will be a very good back court. Also I think Hartman will make a big difference in just his leadership. Also a lot of times freshmen really improve over the summer going into their sophomore year so I can see a big jump in Jones, Green and Davis.

Last edited:
Remember that Blackmon was a cancer. Losing him is addition by subtraction. It was no coincidence that we went on our B1G title run right after he went down 2 seasons ago.

He gave IU three years and that's your summation? Using your criteria that would make you what exactly? Debilitating parasite? Virulent pustule? Carrion feeder?

Would love to see you tell him what you think in person.

We're better off without him. He never saw a shot he didn't like and played zero D which is why Crean loved him. By the way, was Bracey Wright a cancer? He gave 3 years to IU too.

We're better off without him. He never saw a shot he didn't like and played zero D which is why Crean loved him. By the way, was Bracey Wright a cancer? He gave 3 years to IU too.
Not a fair post. Wright may have been a cancer to his team (from what I heard one of his teammates say in a televised interview) but Blackmon was not. You mentioned Blackmon's shooting and defense but omitted reference to his rebounding as a guard and IIRC a fairly low turnover percentage. Blackmon and his family are supportive to IU but Wright was and always will be a self-entitled Texan.

If Wright has ever said anything supportive about IU please link it for me, but I've never heard or read anything quoting Wright reminiscing fondly about his IU days.

There is no "we". But in answer to your question, you're an idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT