ADVERTISEMENT

UK PM race

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
The Tories are down to their final five. There will be debates this weekend, and then a series of votes next week to narrow it to the final two. The final two will then be submitted to the party membership at large to pick the new leader. Once a new Conservative leader is in place, BoJo will visit the Queen, and as his last act as PM, recommend to her that she replace him with the new leader, which she will do.

Looks like it's almost certainly going to end up being Rishi Sunak vs A Blonde Woman, and that Blonde Woman will either be on his right (Liz Truss) or on his left (Penny Mordaunt)*. Despite Sunak coming the closest to locking up a spot in the final two, it's actually Mordaunt who is the favorite among bettors.

* This is all relative. It's unlikely that any of these people would be considered far right wing in America. The right-most candidate, Kemi Badenoch, is a black woman who supports low taxes, is skeptical of going too green too fast, but still has some environmentalist bona fides, and thinks that woke culture has gone maybe just a bit too far. Basically, the far right in this race is what we in this country would call a RINO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Mordaunt could be a babe.

Penny_140722_PM_070722_GettyImages-1146733915.jpg

Goat do you prefer their system to ours? I really don't understand it but wasn't Teresa May forced out like Boris before her term ended? I would have paid a tremendous sum of money to have watched trump go before the house like the Brits do to when they debate the prime minister.

Looks like Liz Truss is planning on burning it all down.

Sounds like she’s a supply side tax cutter. Is this what GB needs with their economic crises?

Sounds like she’s a supply side tax cutter. Is this what GB needs with their economic crises?
Wait til it gets cold. From what I've heard heating costs could rise by 80%.

• Wow
Reactions: Morrison
I wonder if they get gas from Russia (like Germany)

No idea. They were talking about energy for heating. I thought they had lots of oil offshore to the north, which would make me think there's gas there too.

Reactions: larsIU
No idea. They were talking about energy for heating. I thought they had lots of oil offshore to the north, which would make me think there's gas there too.
They’re screwed in the short term and it’s going to be a scary 6-9 months in GB and Europe. I watched a short interview today where the guy claimed GB had enough reserves off shore and could be in good shape by 2024 if they committed to it. Good luck with convincing the climate zealots in GB to doing it.

Reactions: UncleMark
They’re screwed in the short term and it’s going to be a scary 6-9 months in GB and Europe. I watched a short interview today where the guy claimed GB had enough reserves off shore and could be in good shape by 2024 if they committed to it. Good luck with convincing the climate zealots in GB to doing it.
Didn't they outlaw heat emitting devices by Dec 2022?
Not a lot of time to knit sweaters!!

Reactions: Crayfish57
Shortest honeymoon period for any PM. She sees the Queen on a Tuesday, she dies on Thursday and its been downhill ever since.

This is an article of her efforts to defend the dumbest (mini) budget proposal ever. She went around the country's regional BBC radio talkshow this morning. The questions are brutal -- don't ever question the independence of the gov't funded BBC!!
BBC Radio Bristol presenter James Hanson took no prisoners, opening with the line: “It's hard to know what is falling more since you entered Downing Street, the value of the pound or the Tory poll rating”.

And he told her: "I mean your Chancellor, on Friday, opened up the stable door and spooked the horses so much you could almost see the economy being dragged behind them!"

Ms Truss said she had “taken action to reduce our tax burden” to boost growth.

But he cut in: “With respect, that is the same scripted answer you’ve given to every BBC local radio station this morning!”

BBC Radio Kent presenter Anna Cookson told the PM listeners had asked “what on earth were you thinking”, “how on earth can we ever trust the Conservatives again”, and “are you ashamed of what you’ve done?".

And some of the comments by pundits have been so funny and sad at the same time:

TV historian Dan Snow: “That was the worst provincial campaign of any of our leaders since autumn 1216 when King John, marching about dealing with a rebellion & two invasions, caught dysentery in Norfolk, lost the Crown Jewels in The Wash and died in Nottinghamshire.”

9 car crash moments in Liz Truss's local radio grilling branded 'worst outing since 1216'

If Liz Truss thought her hour-long marathon of mini Budget local radio interviews would be a breeze, she was wrong - as listeners asked her "are you ashamed of what you've done?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT