ADVERTISEMENT

Man, have I ever heard this over the years

Courtsensetwo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2004
"In the years since Trump rose to power, “objectivity” has become seen as a sign of ignorance, or worse. There are hysterical screams of “false equivalency” and “bothsidesism” and “whataboutism” — because if you’re not focused solely on Trump alone, you’re simply part of the problem. (Former New York Times journalist Amy Chozick told me in my book “Uncovered” — out in paperback next week — that there’s a new generation of young journalists who believe “objectivity is akin to white supremacy.”)"

Opionion writer Steve Krakaeur in The Hill

Had this hurled at me time and again right here on this board over the years.

Reactions: NPT
The clearest thinkers in my life. Those I trust the most help me make tough decisions.

They are definitely the people so insecure as to tout their own objectivity to others.

"In the years since Trump rose to power, “objectivity” has become seen as a sign of ignorance, or worse. There are hysterical screams of “false equivalency” and “bothsidesism” and “whataboutism” — because if you’re not focused solely on Trump alone, you’re simply part of the problem. (Former New York Times journalist Amy Chozick told me in my book “Uncovered” — out in paperback next week — that there’s a new generation of young journalists who believe “objectivity is akin to white supremacy.”)"

I think you suffer from schizophrenia

Reactions: ulrey
No different from critical theory which holds that objectivity is impossible to obtain and may actually be wrong to pursue, as it’s just a means by which the dominant systems of power and oppression are upheld.

Reactions: BradStevens

Amy Chozick neglected to mention the “self-awareness” dodge many use to not only avoid discussions, but to support personal attacks on the other side.

Im a firm believer that individual objectivity is an illusion and that what might resemble objectivity is a result of open discussion and debate about controversial matters. But given todays educational system, we can’t do that because of micro- aggressions, sensitivity issues, safe spaces, race, gender, and more. People are just not equipped to take a punch, or to deliver meaningful arguments. Now serious matters are accompanied with trigger warnings or simply taboo.

I attempt, often with clumsiness, to post and support my opinions without the the appearance false objectivity. But I’m an old white guy, so there is that.

Amy Chozick neglected to mention the “self-awareness” dodge many use to not only avoid discussions, but to support personal attacks on the other side.

Im a firm believer that individual objectivity is an illusion and that what might resemble objectivity is a result of open discussion and debate about controversial matters. But given todays educational system, we can’t do that because of micro- aggressions, sensitivity issues, safe spaces, race, gender, and more. People are just not equipped to take a punch, or to deliver meaningful arguments. Now serious matters are accompanied with trigger warnings or simply taboo.

I attempt, often with clumsiness, to post and support my opinions without the the appearance false objectivity. But I’m an old white guy, so there is that.
It is an illusion for some for sure.

I just find it lazy to grab a jersey and run with it regardless of the specific situation or individual.

Last edited:

CoH, have you read The Coddling of the American Mind?

It is an illusion for some for sure.

I just find it lazy to grab a jersey and run with it regardless of the specific situation or individual.
I don’t think grabbing a jersey and running with it is tge proper metaphor. Our biases, tendencies and core beliefs are baked in. Accepting that notion is better than trying to pretend you are an exception.

I don’t think grabbing a jersey and running with it is tge proper metaphor. Our biases, tendencies and core beliefs are baked in. Accepting that notion is better than trying to pretend you are an exception.
You honestly cannot look at a situation and see that two things can be true? Strange to me. Perhaps what is baked in for some is that extremes are just that…extreme and blinded.

You honestly cannot look at a situation and see that two things can be true? Strange to me. Perhaps what is baked in for some is that extremes are just that…extreme and blinded.
What two things?

Dismissing an argument with words like “extreme,” “tribal,” or “grabbing a jersey” are more dodges and lazy. Content is better.

I’ve often wondered how much better this forum would be if every post was anonymous. Posts would be judged based only on content, not who posted.

What do you really expect? This is a 98% male political message board on a sports fan site. No better demo for team jersey wearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT