ADVERTISEMENT

How prevalent is incest? More than you think.

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023
I was going to post the Atlantic article, but it's behind a paywall.

I think the instances of child abuse--physical, sexual, emotional--are also much higher than people believe. Humans have an uncanny knack of burying their collective heads in the sands about this topic. Maybe it's too horrible to contemplate. Maybe it makes us feel helpless because there are few good solutions to the problem. Whatever the psychology behind the ignorance, we need to wake up to this.

A request: if you must post a joke about Kentucky, please also try to contribute a word or two of substance towards the intended topic as well.

I think the instances of child abuse--physical, sexual, emotional--are also much higher than people believe. Humans have an uncanny knack of burying their collective heads in the sands about this topic. Maybe it's too horrible to contemplate. Maybe it makes us feel helpless because there are few good solutions to the problem. Whatever the psychology behind the ignorance, we need to wake up to this.

A request: if you must post a joke about Kentucky, please also try to contribute a word or two of substance towards the intended topic as well.
Sounds like Kentucky families make more shots in each other's basket than Jack Gohlke made 3's.

=========

Question b/c I don't know - is incest illegal and do they actually prosecute it if so. I would assme, obviously, the child abuse/assualts are prosecuted when uncovered, but what about incest lacking those characteristics.

I came across the YouTube channel for the guys in the picture of the article.

That's some wild stuff.

Sounds like Kentucky families make more shots in each other's basket than Jack Gohlke made 3's.

=========

Question b/c I don't know - is incest illegal and do they actually prosecute it if so. I would assme, obviously, the child abuse/assualts are prosecuted when uncovered, but what about incest lacking those characteristics.
F yeah it’s illegal. Sex offenders. And limited where they can live. There are bldgs downtown where half the bldg is offenders. Nasty

Reactions: larsIU

=========

Good question on legality if both parties are adults but not sure I want to google for the answer.

I have heard about instances of religions pressuring followers to marry other people of the same religion and thus directly resulted in people marrying distant relatives due to lack of options.

Reactions: larsIU
My whole family has tried to find significant others who are no further than 2nd or 3rd cousins. Not direct family, that would be weird. This keep bloodlines pure and skin translucent.

=========

Question b/c I don't know - is incest illegal and do they actually prosecute it if so. I would assme, obviously, the child abuse/assualts are prosecuted when uncovered, but what about incest lacking those characteristics?
Yes, it's illegal and defined differently in different states. In Kentucky, for example, sex with your first cousin is not incest. In fact, I think they provide you a tax credit:

F yeah it’s illegal. Sex offenders. And limited where they can live. There are bldgs downtown where half the bldg is offenders. Nasty
If 2 second cousins want to get married, that's legal. Is that incest? Honest question.

If we're talking about pedophilia and child sexual abuse, then there's really only one solution.

kJjZVLD.jpg

While intentional interfamilial relations/unions, either consensual and nonconsensual, would make up a large part of this, I'd imagine in more cloistered communities and upbringings that infidelity or folks who liked to get around in small communities could lead to unintentional pairings of close relatives in subsequent generations.

Obligatory jokes:

If not for interfamilial relations, the state of Kentucky would die out completely in 4-5 generations...and don't get me started on Ireland.

While intentional interfamilial relations/unions, either consensual and nonconsensual, would make up a large part of this, I'd imagine in more cloistered communities and upbringings that infidelity or folks who liked to get around in small communities could lead to unintentional pairings of close relatives in subsequent generations.

Obligatory jokes:

If not for interfamilial relations, the state of Kentucky would die out completely in 4-5 generations...and don't get me started on Ireland.

That SNL skit is awesome.

My Internet research says that it's okay if they are step siblings.
I think there's a couple of legal requirements: A) stuck in a washer or under a table; or B) Home alone and caught.

My internet research is somewhat limited in this area, so I'll defer to your legal expertise and extensive research.

Thank God you also have Whisky. You might rule the world otherwise.

Jesus turned water into wine, the priest turns wine into the blood of Christ, we drink it at communion and later turn it into piss, and the government turns the piss back into water at the treatment plant.

Circle of life if I ever saw it...

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Thank God you also have Whisky. You might rule the world otherwise.
Unfortunately we have never been confused for an intelligent people, with or without the booze. Which is why we are overwhelmingly working class, blue collar.

We are not the best looking people either. Our faces are round, our women develop a lumpy figure akin to a bag of milk sitting in the sun, and the Men's faces turn from light pink to a patchy red with age.

But once in a while, we can make people laugh.

How does that compare to other regions of the world?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It's such a known problem, there are academic papers being written about how to deal with the problem in Israel:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT