ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. officials confident Iran shot down passenger jet

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-update...ukraine-today-2020-01-09-live-stream-updates/

U.S. intelligence picked up signals of a radar being turned on, sources told CBS News. U.S. satellites also detected two surface-to-air missile launches, which happened shortly before the plane exploded, CBS News was told.

Federal officials were briefed on the intelligence Thursday, CBS News transportation Kris Van Cleave reports. A source who was in the briefing said it appears missile components were found near the crash site.

The plane was believed to have been mistakenly targeted.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-update...ukraine-today-2020-01-09-live-stream-updates/

U.S. intelligence picked up signals of a radar being turned on, sources told CBS News. U.S. satellites also detected two surface-to-air missile launches, which happened shortly before the plane exploded, CBS News was told.

Federal officials were briefed on the intelligence Thursday, CBS News transportation Kris Van Cleave reports. A source who was in the briefing said it appears missile components were found near the crash site.

Found the reason they’ve de-escalated so quickly.

Demonstrates a serious lack of battle space awareness and control that we would take advantage of if we need to.

Demonstrates a serious lack of battle space awareness and control that we would take advantage of if we need to.
I don’t know what kind of tourism or international business environment they have, but I’m sure it’s not great and this makes it worse. They’ve sanctioned themselves in a sense.

Soviet engineering at work. They know really how to blow things up although often very inaccurately.

Sure not many flights in that area....this is at 4 PM. I just wouldn't want to fly in the Middle East period.

49361603761_c403d3722a_b.jpg

So as predicted, the two spins on this are:

MSNBC - This is Trump's fault for killing Soleimani
FOX - This is Obama's fault for buying Iran the rockets.

Both fanbases rabidly defending "their" entertainers.

Reactions: IndianaReb

I'm more interested in whether or not Iran ever admits fault. Originally, they claimed that they were not going to provide the black boxes. Then yesterday, they said they would need help because the boxes were "damaged". Now, they are saying they're going to take the first try at it, which will take months.

Is there a possibility that Iran could try and manipulate the data from the boxes?

Well... Trump DID start the chain of events that resulted in 63 Canadians being written off as "collateral damage".

BTW, When you factor in Canadians' longer life expectancy (no doubt due to better gun control and nationalized healthcare) that equates to 65.7 American lives.

Well... Trump DID start the chain of events that resulted in 63 Canadians being written off as "collateral damage".

BTW, When you factor in Canadians' longer life expectancy (no doubt due to better gun control and nationalized healthcare) that equates to 65.7 American lives.

Well at least we know which entertainers you are backing. Interesting comment you make though...if Iran is denying any military involvement who exactly has stated they have "written the 63 Canadians off as collateral damage"? You use quotes. Tell me who did this and I will provide them with some feedback.

Reactions: stollcpa

The chain of events argument seems appealing but it lacks the nuance of a proximate cause analysis.

Using your terms, though, why wouldn’t the chain of events begin with the assault in our embassy? Or our air raid? Or the assault on our base that killed one and maimed others? Or the take over if our embassy during the Carter years?

Reactions: stollcpa
Well at least we know which entertainers you are backing. Interesting comment you make though...if Iran is denying any military involvement who exactly has stated they have "written the 63 Canadians off as collateral damage"? You use quotes. Tell me who did this and I will provide them with some feedback.

Sorry, Ace. I only quoted the phrase "collateral damage", which is a favorite cliche (along with "blood and treasure") of blowhard, military-worshipping "patriots" (itself a questionable cliche).

Sorry, Ace. I only quoted the phrase "collateral damage", which is a favorite cliche (along with "blood and treasure") of blowhard, military-worshipping "patriots" (itself a questionable cliche).

Ok, so it something you just made up. No one is saying that. Too bad, because I would have liked to give that person(s) some crap.

Ok, so it something you just made up. No one is saying that. Too bad, because I would have liked to give that person(s) some crap.
You are one strange cookie. You talk like a Magat, walk like a Magat, spread the same lies as the Magats do, but claim not to be a Magat.

weird ..

You are one strange cookie. You talk like a Magat, walk like a Magat, spread the same lies as the Magats do, but claim not to be a Magat.

weird ..

Expand on that. I repeated the bookend mantras, identified a participant and asked who was telling a heinous story. He admitted he made it up.

Nor sure what you mean.

What lie did I spread?

I'm more interested in whether or not Iran ever admits fault. Originally, they claimed that they were not going to provide the black boxes. Then yesterday, they said they would need help because the boxes were "damaged". Now, they are saying they're going to take the first try at it, which will take months.

Is there a possibility that Iran could try and manipulate the data from the boxes?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...oting-down-ukrainian-airliner-unintentionally

Iran seems to be more forthcoming than Russia was in a similar circumstance-at least they are admitting they screwed up...of course, Russia does not even acknowledge that they invaded Ukraine five years after the fact.

Reactions: NPT
The chain of events argument seems appealing but it lacks the nuance of a proximate cause analysis.

Using your terms, though, why wouldn’t the chain of events begin with the assault in our embassy? Or our air raid? Or the assault on our base that killed one and maimed others? Or the take over if our embassy during the Carter years?

... Or the phony "weapons of mass destruction" line that Republicans used to dupe us into going into Iraq in the first place? I understand you may have forgotten about that one, seeing as it

If any of those things had any bearing on Trump's choice of the most extreme option, you might have a point. Trump, however, is entirely incapable of considering anything other than what's best for himself.

If you're going to trace back through the chain of events TRULY pertinent to this decision, the issue will most likely boil down to "Daddy didn't love him."

BTW, you forgot to the phony MWODs that got us into Iraq SEVENTEEN years ago.

You need to get a grip. You seem as unhinged as a MAGA hat wearing rally goer. You are basically spreading the mullah propaganda that Trump is to blame for them shooting down a passenger plane in their own country. Nonsense.

Last edited:
... Or the phony "weapons of mass destruction" line that Republicans used to dupe us into going into Iraq in the first place? I understand you may have forgotten about that one, seeing as it

If any of those things had any bearing on Trump's choice of the most extreme option, you might have a point. Trump, however, is entirely incapable of considering anything other than what's best for himself.

If you're going to trace back through the chain of events TRULY pertinent to this decision, the issue will most likely boil down to "Daddy didn't love him."

BTW, you forgot to the phony MWODs that got us into Iraq SEVENTEEN years ago.

Understanding the nature of causation is vital for anybody who considers themselves a critical thinker. You fail. So do most Democrats including Rhodes Scholar Pete Buttigieg.

Here's what Aristotle said about cause. Here is a more contemporary take.

Reactions: 76-1
Never take responsibility for your own mistakes.... it's always someone else's fault. Sad but that is the way a lot of people seem to deal with things.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

weird ..
It is weird.... a person that doesn't toe the line according to which party they support.

Notable:
According to Saeed Ghasseminejad, a senior advisor at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, President Trump’s Farsi tweet was the most-liked Persian tweet in Twitter’s history.

Since President Trump entered office, his administration has shown unequivocal support for those opposing the mullahs’ repressive regime, from partially withdrawing from the Iran Deal to empowering those opposed to Iranian hegemony in the region. Indeed, President Trump’s series of tweets in Farsi represent not an aberration but a doubling down on the stance his administration has held for the entirety of his presidency.

Meanwhile, not one 2020 Democratic contender has offered comments on the current protests in Iran, where dissenters are risking life and limb to voice their overwhelming dissatisfaction and frustration with the Iranian regime. This silence marks a startling pivot from the frequent mention of Iran we witnessed prior to the eruption of the protests. What changed?

Whether it’s antisemitism or the oppression of the Iranian people, the left has no interest in drawing attention to any issue unless the problem can be attributed to President Trump.
The Democrats were tripping all over themselves to support the Iranian line about their “revered” terrorist general but cannot muster a brief comment of support for those who oppose a regime that imprisons, tortures, bombs, and murders those who have the wrong religion, the wrong politics, the wrong ethnicity, or the wrong sexual identity. Meanwhile, the Democrats scream to all the world their tiresome calls to RESIST! our POTUS on all fronts.

You need to get a grip. You seem as unhinged as a MAGA hat wearing rally goer. You are basically spreading the mullah propaganda that Trump is to blame for them shooting down a passenger plane in their own country. Nonsense.

Trump is the only enemy that I'm worried about. I really don't care about Iran. Iran is no threat to American democracy. Trump is, I won't support ANYTHING he does, EVER, and I won't play "us vs. them" with Iran. If you want to rally around the flag, that's your choice, but I won't until Trump and his fascism are a long gone. Meanwhile, if I have a chance to legitimately blame him for ANYTHING, I will.

Trump is the only enemy that I'm worried about. I really don't care about Iran. Iran is no threat to American democracy. Trump is, I won't support ANYTHING he does, EVER, and I won't play "us vs. them" with Iran. If you want to rally around the flag, that's your choice, but I won't until Trump and his fascism are a long gone. Meanwhile, if I have a chance to legitimately blame him for ANYTHING, I will.

That’s pitiful. In other words, you want to use the office of POTUS, as some kind of national emotional support animal and you see Trump as depriving you of that support. There are hundreds of people, and even pets, in my life that are more important than a presidential term of office.

You are right that it isn’t an “us vs. them” game. It’s “you vs. you”.

Notable:
According to Saeed Ghasseminejad, a senior advisor at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, President Trump’s Farsi tweet was the most-liked Persian tweet in Twitter’s history.

Since President Trump entered office, his administration has shown unequivocal support for those opposing the mullahs’ repressive regime, from partially withdrawing from the Iran Deal to empowering those opposed to Iranian hegemony in the region. Indeed, President Trump’s series of tweets in Farsi represent not an aberration but a doubling down on the stance his administration has held for the entirety of his presidency.

Meanwhile, not one 2020 Democratic contender has offered comments on the current protests in Iran, where dissenters are risking life and limb to voice their overwhelming dissatisfaction and frustration with the Iranian regime. This silence marks a startling pivot from the frequent mention of Iran we witnessed prior to the eruption of the protests. What changed?

Whether it’s antisemitism or the oppression of the Iranian people, the left has no interest in drawing attention to any issue unless the problem can be attributed to President Trump.
The Democrats were tripping all over themselves to support the Iranian line about their “revered” terrorist general but cannot muster a brief comment of support for those who oppose a regime that imprisons, tortures, bombs, and murders those who have the wrong religion, the wrong politics, the wrong ethnicity, or the wrong sexual identity. Meanwhile, the Democrats scream to all the world their tiresome calls to RESIST! our POTUS on all fronts.
Awesome truthful post...I'm only sad that I didn't get to read the reply's from one of my drive by posts before it was removed. Had to be just beautiful! I saw a couple reply's and was LMAO...Kids need to grow up, get jobs, contribute to society, and quit trying to milk off people that work ohhhh and also, move out of moms basement. ;)

That's so true.... never his fault according to him.

it’s an occupational hazard. I don’t recall any POTUS admitting fault about anything. The last time leader came close was Ike when he wrote his D-day letter. The must notable POTUS shirk? I nominate “it wasn’t my red line, it was the world’s red line”.

That’s pitiful. In other words, you want to use the office of POTUS, as some kind of national emotional support animal and you see Trump as depriving you of that support. There are hundreds of people, and even pets, in my life that are more important than a presidential term of office.

You are right that it isn’t an “us vs. them” game. It’s “you vs. you”.

Emotional support? WTF are you talking about?

Reactions: Bill4411
Too bad Central State isn’t still open.

Reactions: MonroeCity
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT