ADVERTISEMENT

Tuttle and Bazelak quarterback battle

That was at Wisconsin. 21 points vs Wisconsin at Wisconsin is nothing to sneeze at.

He and the Defense did enough to win the game. I don't know of another fan base that denigrates its QB after a win of that magnitude.
That game was the perfect example of the Covid season defense that made 2020 such a great season. We came back to the pack on that side when normalcy returned in 2021, but hopefully Coach Allen’s return as DC will get us back closer to 2020. To sniff a bowl season, the offense will need to find some playmakers, starting with quarterback.

PR was far from the typical backup. PR would have started at half or more of the BIG teams.

that said he was rarely going to lose a close game for you but he was also rarely going to go out and get the big upset win.
You are right. However....

I believe PR would have been able to get those big upset wins if 1) he was surrounded by quality playmakers that weren't hurt all the time and 2) was put in an aggressive offensive scheme designed to spread the field and to get the ball to said playmakers. He didn't need to bomb the ball 50 yards to be successful. Slants, curls, digs, outs, and the occasional deep post were well within his repertoire.

The Minnesota QB comes to mind, back when Fleck won 11 games. He does not the have physical tools of a big time QB. But he had a great scheme and great playmakers to give the ball to. Once his OC left for PSU and his receivers and RBs went to the NFL, then his production went down.

You are right. However....

I believe PR would have been able to get those big upset wins if 1) he was surrounded by quality playmakers that weren't hurt all the time and 2) was put in an aggressive offensive scheme designed to spread the field and to get the ball to said playmakers. He didn't need to bomb the ball 50 yards to be successful. Slants, curls, digs, outs, and the occasional deep post were well within his repertoire.

The Minnesota QB comes to mind, back when Fleck won 11 games. He does not the have physical tools of a big time QB. But he had a great scheme and great playmakers to give the ball to. Once his OC left for PSU and his receivers and RBs went to the NFL, then his production went down.
PR's leadership qualities are what sets him apart. He didn't have the physical tools Penix does but he stays healthy and is a strong leader. Allen was great about giving him a chance to compete for the starting spot but he was not going to get there. Wish he would have stayed for all of our sake, but I don't blame him for going where he would be the top dog.

PR's leadership qualities are what sets him apart. He didn't have the physical tools Penix does but he stays healthy and is a strong leader. Allen was great about giving him a chance to compete for the starting spot but he was not going to get there. Wish he would have stayed for all of our sake, but I don't blame him for going where he would be the top dog.
Oddly, Ramsey didn’t return to NW for the 2021 season that he could have played. He went out with a bowl win against Auburn, something he couldn’t achieve at IU. He posted that it was the storybook ending to his college career.

He was 10x the QB that Hunter Johnson was…..another state of Indiana 4-star flop.

Oddly, Ramsey didn’t return to NW for the 2021 season that he could have played. He went out with a bowl win against Auburn, something he couldn’t achieve at IU. He posted that it was the storybook ending to his college career.

He was 10x the QB that Hunter Johnson was…..another state of Indiana 4-star flop.
I don’t blame him. He took a lot of punishment, wasn’t going to make a living playing and has a bright future.

Likely not well. I don’t think Doug Ramsey has much to like about Allen. Peyton lists his background as “Northwestern.”
Dads are not objective and he (like most Dads) probably thought PR should have started regardless, so I suppose there might be a risk there, but PR was given a fair shot to compete for the role (despite some false claims I read otherwise from pu fans) but he was not MP.

Time will heal any hurt, if there was any to begin with. TA is a difficult person to dislike and PR loved IU.

Although "Good 'ol rockeytop...wooooo" "rockeytop Tin-a-sayyyy" sure got old. Where you sit? Did you get to any of the pregame event?
I don't remember what section, but it was with the IU crowd - first row in the 2nd section up more toward the one end zone.

Same section the coward Kraft sat in - he sat 2 rows behind me and never identified himself, even though I had told him beforehand where we were sitting. Then pulled the "I know who you are" bullshit after he was safe behind his keyboard. What a pussy.

No, we got to our parking lot really early and set up the grill and partied it up. We had 16 people sitting together, so we had a good size crew. Then a bunch of other IU fans showed up and it was a great IU tailgate.

'Rocky Top' sucks.

Last edited:
Likely not well. I don’t think Doug Ramsey has much to like about Allen. Peyton lists his background as “Northwestern.”
He can list that as a background, but he should also mention Northwestern rejected him.

IU was the only P5 program to take a chance on him.

If he's bitter about his experience at IU, I would hope some perspective would alter his hurt.

It is lonely on “Tuttle Island” - I’m not even saying he should be the starting QB - just find it very interesting that pretty much everyone on here has written him off as a starter- who knows, I said don’t sleep on PR a few years back and he turned out pretty ok - not saying JT will, but I am not ready to give up on him - may the best man win.

I hope Tuttle has improved because we are going to absolutely need him backing up Bazelek.
And, I hope there is very little drop off and he makes plays as shown here:

Reactions: midwolfe
I don't remember what section, but it was with the IU crowd - first row in the 2nd section up more toward the one end zone.

Same section the coward Kraft sat in - he sat 2 rows behind me and never identified himself, even though I had told him beforehand where we were sitting. Then pulled the "I know who you are" bullshit after he was safe behind his keyboard. What a pussy.

No, we got to our parking lot really early and set up the grill and partied it up. We had 16 people sitting together, so we had a good size crew. Then a bunch of other IU fans showed up and it was a great IU tailgate.

'Rocky Top' sucks.
Glad you had fun. We did the pregame IU stuff across the river and took the water taxi over and back to the hotel. There were no TN seated near us but the older ones we encountered we generally delightful. Can't say the same for the late 20 and 30 somethings after the game in egress.

Reactions: DANC
I hope Tuttle has improved because we are going to absolutely need him backing up Bazelek.

That is absolutely my thoughts pertaining to who ever is the #2. No drop off is a mandatory status, no options. Strongly believe Bell will better prepare the QB room by head and shoulders above Sheridan's product last year. Go HOOSIERS!!

He can list that as a background, but he should also mention Northwestern rejected him.

IU was the only P5 program to take a chance on him.

If he's bitter about his experience at IU, I would hope some perspective would alter his hurt.
Wait until the first time a mommy and daddy comes to him to complain that their little Johnny should be the starting QB. He’ll start to see.

I loved Ramsey. He was a more complete and dependable player than Penix, but arm matters, and Penix could throw it through a car wash.

If we never had Penix, they’d build Ramsey a statue. Because we took both, neither loves us.

Ramsey will always be one of my favorite IU Quarterbacks. For many reason among them being: 1) He led IU to a victory AT Nebraska in front of something like 94,000 husker fans and 2) Numerous Tenn fans (as we were leaving The Gator Bowl) said they wish their team had a QB like PR.

Glad you had fun. We did the pregame IU stuff across the river and took the water taxi over and back to the hotel. There were no TN seated near us but the older ones we encountered we generally delightful. Can't say the same for the late 20 and 30 somethings after the game in egress.
Yeah, they were obnoxious. And the ones who ran around the concourse spouting obscenities weren't very pleasant.

We stayed on Amelie Island, not far from where the IU hotel was. We did an AirBnB, which was pretty nice.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Ramsey will always be one of my favorite IU Quarterbacks. For many reason among them being: 1) He led IU to a victory AT Nebraska in front of something like 94,000 husker fans and 2) Numerous Tenn fans (as we were leaving The Gator Bowl) said they wish their team had a QB like PR.
I seem to recall Ramsey saying “that was the most fun I ever had playing football.”

He was a gamer.

Yeah, they were obnoxious. And the ones who ran around the concourse spouting obscenities weren't very pleasant.

We stayed on Amelie Island, not far from where the IU hotel was. We did an AirBnB, which was pretty nice.
Those younger fans were running down the lanes of stopped traffic getting out and pounding on the windows of the cars with IU flags and plates. Just dickheads.

We like Amelia and Fernandina. There is a nice Omni we have held some meetings in.

Those younger fans were running down the lanes of stopped traffic getting out and pounding on the windows of the cars with IU flags and plates. Just dickheads.

We like Amelia and Fernandina. There is a nice Omni we have held some meetings in.
I think the Omni was the IU hotel. My daughter and son-in-law have an all-electric vehicle and they charged their car there. We also had breakfast there. Nice place!

Tennessee fans celebrating when they beat IU - what has the world come to!

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
I think the Omni was the IU hotel. My daughter and son-in-law have an all-elective vehicle and they charged their car there. We also had breakfast there. Nice place!

Tennessee fans celebrating when they beat IU - what has the world come to!
I never though pounding on the windows of cars, many containing older folks is an acceptable way to celebrate. The one who bought me three shots of Blantons in the lobby bar...now that is celebrating.

Scheme was better, hence routes/timing were better thus results were better. Putting players in position to succeed matters.

Interesting to watch this next chapter unfold.
DeBoer's level of attention to detail and ability to teach / communicate was pretty awesome from the little I know. Example, when you catch the perimeter screen take a step six inches back with your left foot before getting up field. This will allow time for the block to set creating more space and a bigger lane to run through. Scheme definitely matters.

Highlights indicate that Bazelak had an OL in front of him that could actually block. Not sure any IU QB can stay healthy unless the OL gets a lot better. Unfortunately thinking it will get better with the same OL coach is the very definition of insanity.

Highlights indicate that Bazelak had an OL in front of him that could actually block. Not sure any IU QB can stay healthy unless the OL gets a lot better. Unfortunately thinking it will get better with the same OL coach is the very definition of insanity.
The difference this year, if it is enough, the OC is working with the OL to help Hiller out.

Well….true….but he is also a hell of a lot more mobile and when he runs, he isn’t hesitant. The other guys seem to collapse with pressure.

The difference this year, if it is enough, the OC is working with the OL to help Hiller out.
Yes, highlights show that. Here is a breakdown of how Bazelak had regressed last year for mizzou, leading to him getting benched.

Well….true….but he is also a hell of a lot more mobile and when he runs, he isn’t hesitant. The other guys seem to collapse with pressure.

According to the article, he had a problem with pressure, and had trouble with getting the ball out quickly enough. Hopefully he gets those two things taken care of. If he has not, then that's probably why he and Tuttle are neck-and-neck behind our OL.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I think the starting quarterback will be whoever does the best job throwing across their body while sprinting towards the sidelines.

Yes, highlights show that. Here is a breakdown of how Bazelak had regressed last year for mizzou, leading to him getting benched.

According to the article, he had a problem with pressure, and had trouble with getting the ball out quickly enough. Hopefully he gets those two things taken care of. If he has not, then that's probably why he and Tuttle are neck-and-neck behind our OL.
It sounded like in Spring practice that Bazelak is still not trusting his eyes while Tuttle is more comfortable with his throws. This competition will be interesting in the Fall as QBs push to be the starter and coach Bell gets focused on which one is the starter. I won't be surprised if another QB steps up by Fall practice though.

It sounded like in Spring practice that Bazelak is still not trusting his eyes while Tuttle is more comfortable with his throws. This competition will be interesting in the Fall as QBs push to be the starter and coach Bell gets focused on which one is the starter. I won't be surprised if another QB steps up by Fall practice though.
I think other guys will have a chance to play, but that probably because of injuries to the top two. JT and CB are some distance ahead of the other guys right now.

Last edited:
The guy that has the quickest (sound) decision making, quickest release (by necessity with the typical Hiller coached OL), and accuracy. I think the arm strength may be secondary although both Bazelak and Tuttle have apparently pretty strong arms. Question will be who shows first so that an adequate amount of reps with other first teamers can be achieved. U of I will have a game under their belt when we play them, critical the starter surfaces soon, even if no one knows except Allen and the other first team starters.

The guy that has the quickest (sound) decision making, quickest release (by necessity with the typical Hiller coached OL), and accuracy. I think the arm strength may be secondary although both Bazelak and Tuttle have apparently pretty strong arms. Question will be who shows first so that an adequate amount of reps with other first teamers can be achieved. U of I will have a game under their belt when we play them, critical the starter surfaces soon, even if no one knows except Allen and the other first team starters.
A serviceable running game is a must, if only to keep these guys out of second / third and long situations where the playbook is limited and the ability to execute what’s there is even more so. Both of these guys will play - we haven’t gotten through a clean season in years at the quarterback position. We’re just so thin at every position group on offense. A decent running game would really help. Scary.

A serviceable running game is a must, if only to keep these guys out of second / third and long situations where the playbook is limited and the ability to execute what’s there is even more so. Both of these guys will play - we haven’t gotten through a clean season in years at the quarterback position. We’re just so thin at every position group on offense. A decent running game would really help. Scary.
...yes and a take what they give us on offense...similar to DeBoer...who I hope Bell has similar chain moving tendencies for scoring points...use Illinois having played an early game to our gameplan advantage...I honestly think Charlie Spegal carries the skin many times this season...

...yes and a take what they give us on offense...similar to DeBoer...who I hope Bell has similar chain moving tendencies for scoring points...use Illinois having played an early game to our gameplan advantage...I honestly think Charlie Spegal carries the skin many times this season...
Bell likes to play at pace, and that exposes the playbook if you don’t move the chains. Sheridan and DeBoer did, too, but that’s not what got NS fired. It also exposes the D if TOP isn’t maintained, and that’s where even a serviceable running game would make a difference. As for CS, if he’s carrying the ball many times this season, that’s not going to be a good thing, in my opinion. We’re really thin there, so he’ll definitely get a chance, though.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
"Yes" meant I agreed with a good ground game. Understand playing with pace very well and DeBoer was adept at serving up contingency plays when needed. Sheridan was fired cause he couldn't keep multiple balls in the air. The 2 biggest being managing a staff and countering adverse offensive results. In other words not able to problem solve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT