ADVERTISEMENT

Tuttle and Bazelak quarterback battle

I've tended to be more optimistic about our outlook this year and more willing to basically mulligan last season given the injuries and other circumstances than a lot of people I've seen on here and elsewhere in the IU spaces, but if anything would meaningfully lower my expectations for the year, it is Tuttle winning the starting job.

It is a completely new system, so he doesn't even really have an incumbency advantage, so him winning the QB1 role would speak more negatively and worryingly to me about the QB room than positively about him on the field. I had really hoped at least one of DMC or Williams would have passed him up and put him in third or fourth by now. And it will take good performances in more than just the Illinois and cupcake games for me to feel otherwise. I genuinely feel like he was the worst performing QB we played last year. Even worse than McCulley when he wasn't allowed to throw the ball or a walk-on in Gremel.

I've tended to be more optimistic about our outlook this year and more willing to basically mulligan last season given the injuries and other circumstances than a lot of people I've seen on here and elsewhere in the IU spaces, but if anything would meaningfully lower my expectations for the year, it is Tuttle winning the starting job.

It is a completely new system, so he doesn't even really have an incumbency advantage, so him winning the QB1 role would speak more negatively and worryingly to me about the QB room than positively about him on the field. I had really hoped at least one of DMC or Williams would have passed him up and put him in third or fourth by now. And it will take good performances in more than just the Illinois and cupcake games for me to feel otherwise. I genuinely feel like he was the worst performing QB we played last year. Even worse than McCulley when he wasn't allowed to throw the ball or a walk-on in Gremel.
You need to realize that Tuttle was a 4 star QB that was part of the Elite 11his senior year. What we have seen at IU under the coaching with Sheridan isn't a fair evaluation. If you want to see what his talent is like check out the first drive against OSU last season finishing with a TD pass with a defender hammering Tuttle. I don't know if Tuttle can be a very good QB but if he beats out Blazlak then Tuttle has clearly improved a lot.

I couldn’t care less who starts if we start off 3-0. I think Bazelak starts either way though.

You need to realize that Tuttle was a 4 star QB that was part of the Elite 11his senior year. What we have seen at IU under the coaching with Sheridan isn't a fair evaluation. If you want to see what his talent is like check out the first drive against OSU last season finishing with a TD pass with a defender hammering Tuttle. I don't know if Tuttle can be a very good QB but if he beats out Blazlak then Tuttle has clearly improved a lot.

Our QBs have been under the gun since Wilson left and took his OL expertise with him. Unless you have a super quick/strong arm (Penix) or can make things happen with your feet (Ramsey), you're going to struggle behind the kinds of OLs we've had. That may be coaching or personel or both. I have no idea. But not even Andrew Luck can perform behind a shitty offensive line.

with less and less contact and actual game type conditions in practice, i think the pocket guys have a definite inherent advantage over the dual threat guys as far as roster position.

like Mike said, "everybody has a plan, till you get hit in the face".

but absent real game conditions in practice sometimes, or as close to them as possible without being reckless, the flaws in the plan don't get exposed until you're being punched in the face by another team, with little chance to re think anything at that point.

and some guys are just better practice performers, and others seem to shine only once the lights go on.

with no spring games or open scrimmages anymore, and no touching the QB in practice, it's like picking the best golfer just off their driving range performance, or best basketball player, without ever going hard 5 on 5..

and with coaches at non elite schools feeling like their season, or careers, are on the line with every snap and every game, said coaches are very reticent to make a QB change once a starter has been crowned, even if crowned so in non live game conditions, other than when forced to by injury or sustained lack of production..

If TA was happy with the QB room he would not have pursued another one.
If anyone other than Bazelak starts the season as #1 it’s going to be a long year.
Tuttle has had plenty of opportunity to win the position but has fallen short.

Bazelak was not brought in to backup Tuttle. If Tuttle wins we are in trouble.

Yes, I know Tuttle had ONE drive vs OSU where he looked awesome. But one scripted opening drive does not a QB make. DMC had his own opening-drive TDs, one against UM where he looked unstoppable. It doesn't mean much, IMO.

Yes, I know Tuttle had ONE drive vs OSU where he looked awesome. But one scripted opening drive does not a QB make. DMC had his own opening-drive TDs, one against UM where he looked unstoppable. It doesn't mean much, IMO.
i'm taking a wait and see approach on bazelak. if he's so good, why did he lose his job at missouri?

Reactions: TomAllenStan
If TA was happy with the QB room he would not have pursued another one.
If anyone other than Bazelak starts the season as #1 it’s going to be a long year.
Tuttle has had plenty of opportunity to win the position but has fallen short.
Actually Tuttle has never had a serious opportunity to win the position...

This is his first real shot at it... Penix was the predetermined starter, even though injured, last fall (which I thought was nuts at the time and exhibit #1 as to why our OC needed to go)...

I'd be very comfortable with Tuttle as the starter "if" he has learned to make the correct throw reads 2 tenths of a second quicker than he has in the past... If he can't do that, then next man up...

This is his first real shot at it... Penix was the predetermined starter, even though injured, last fall (which I thought was nuts at the time and exhibit #1 as to why our OC needed to go)...

I'd be very comfortable with Tuttle as the starter "if" he has learned to make the correct throw reads 2 tenths of a second quicker than he has in the past... If he can't do that, then next man up...
Tuttle has played only 3 complete games in his college career, and only 1 of which was last year. Definitely not a legit opportunity to prove himself.

Our QBs have been under the gun since Wilson left and took his OL expertise with him. Unless you have a super quick/strong arm (Penix) or can make things happen with your feet (Ramsey), you're going to struggle behind the kinds of OLs we've had. That may be coaching or personel or both. I have no idea. But not even Andrew Luck can perform behind a shitty offensive line.
Agree it starts in the trenches

Dexter Williams and Donavan McCully. I might be flipping those two in my mind. Which one was a duel threat but needed a lot of work reading defenses?

Someone better emerge. If you have 2, you have none. If the new guy can’t beat out Tuttle I’m not optimistic at all.
Ordinarily that would be true but..., based on recent history..., if it's possible, I'd want three or even four ready to play next Fall...

Now that's probably nearly impossible given the limited number of practice snaps available once the season starts..., But..,, if I'm Bell, I'd try to employ every trick available to keep whoever ends up as the quote, unquote "backup(s)" as engaged and mentally ready to step up and step in as possible... Going clear back to when Ramsey was a freshman we've seen more than one QB out there in a single season...

One approach he might be able to utilize is to have a few specific play packages for each backup just to get them out there occasionally..., and keeping them focused knowing that there was real possibility that they'd see live snaps on Game Day... Couldn't do it every game but if the snaps appear to be available (during the game) I'd love to Bell attempt to do it...

If I were Bell, I'd have the backups do their own pregame scouting of the opponent (which I'm sure they do anyway) and have each guy present their own 4 play package that they'd like to run given the chance... That would keep them totally engaged during game week even if they weren't getting the bulk of the practice reps...

Last edited:

Penix was the Golden Boy even when Ramsey was winning us games.

As long as Penix was here, no one had a legit shot at starting unless he was hurt.

I think Gremel looked like the best QB we had last year, but what do I know (that's a rhetorical question).

How long before McCully is in the portal? Another Indiana 4-star kid that didn’t pan out. In all fairness, the kid was hyped up as heir apparent and throws wounded ducks out there. Allen was talking him up last year and he’s not even in the conversation now.

It was the ‘one drive‘ factor that got Sheridan … The lack of a second drive and a third … showed a lack of imagination about what to try next.

What QB didn't get hurt last year, with that 'protect

Tuttle hasn't had good coaching when he was in so don't say he is not the answer. Whoever wins the QB position will be very good.
Bell isn't Sheridan-like instructing QBs. Also the offensive playbook is different, leading staff is more hands on, experienced game planning and play calling for sure. Even in the event Bell is no better than Sheridan he will at least be different by experience. Something seriously lacking with Nick DeBord.

McCulley has moved to WR, it's a bit concerning that Bazelak has not won the job. Tuttle is just a journey man IMO

So we are supposed to ignore his performance vs MSU? The game that let the season on a downward spiral.

McCulley has moved to WR, it's a bit concerning that Bazelak has not won the job. Tuttle is just a journey man IMO
McCulley has moved to WR???? Is this true? I sure hope not. We need that guy to develop into our QB. He has all the tools to be a great one and is elusive enough to play behind our swiss cheese OL.

Is this official about McCulley moving?

I posted this rumor before Spring practiced and it was poo-poo'd.

ADVERTISEMENT