ADVERTISEMENT

Tuttle and Bazelak quarterback battle

It makes me wonder what is going on with McCulley for this season - WR for a year or longer???? When will it be announced if he is changing positions?
A position change would not surprise me. I am sure he wants to play and second and goal option once a game may not cut it for him. He is a good athlete and a smart kid, let's put it to good use.

Agree about Frye, but you know our cheap ass AD would never overpay for a proven OC, not when that money can go toward basketball. Plus even if they were willing to pay the extra 100K+ needed to hire Frye, Allen would never have brought in someone as OC/O-line coach, that would've meant having to fire precious Hiller, who as we all know is the best O-line coach in the business, just ask CTA.

Obviously I'm rooting for Bell, and won't judge him too harshly until he gets a chance to field an offensive unit, but if I were hiring a new OC rn I'd take Frye's resume over Bell's any day of the week.
If you watched last season (we’re right behind the bench 24 rows up), the sideline was often chaotic. Hiller and McCullough were the coaches who led the offense, with Tom Allen largely out of the way (he often engaged with the D on the sideline, as you’d expect). There were several heated disputes between players, as well as between players and coaches (Matthew Bedford won the cooler head award after one exchange with Hiller).

The talent gap that some of us suspected would re-enter the picture after the highly unusual circumstances of 2020 came home to roost last year. Not sure if Frye would’ve even considered coming back, but we’re on our fourth OC in six years, with very uneven results. Would be great if the University was truly all-in on the program, but that’s probably a pipe dream.

Go Hoosiers.

The Domino effect:
Hiller shouldn't have cashed a paycheck last year it was that bad.
If you don't have a line the offense,QB, and evereything is bad.
The defense gets tired quickly. The entire program is being held hostage by Darren Hiller. Very strange. It will be in a book someday.

The only possible hope is that Darren gets help this year. There is intense pressure for this room to at least have some pride and get better.
I hope Bell is supper involved with both development of the line and personnel decisions on who plays. I didn't always think the best played last year.

The Domino effect:
Hiller shouldn't have cashed a paycheck last year it was that bad.
If you don't have a line the offense,QB, and evereything is bad.
The defense gets tired quickly. The entire program is being held hostage by Darren Hiller. Very strange. It will be in a book someday.

The only possible hope is that Darren gets help this year. There is intense pressure for this room to at least have some pride and get better.
I hope Bell is supper involved with both development of the line and personnel decisions on who plays. I didn't always think the best played last year.
It's on Allen, Hiller's not going to leave unless he gets a better offer elsewhere, which will obviously never happen or ofc he get's fired, he's not going to fire himself though. Hiller will never be an O-line coach at another P5 school, he has an extensive track record of being an utter disaster at this level. Whenever he leaves Indiana (which should've been less than 24 hours after the Purdue disaster), will be the last time he coaches at the P5 level.

I've had some minor critiques of Allen in the past, but most of them are really not a big deal enough for me to get mad over, this is mind-boggling though, I never thought he would be dumb enough to risk that 5 million dollar salary for one assistant who has completely derailed the entire offensive unit, but here we are. I saw Allen talk about how difficult it was for him to fire Sheridan, and look I understand that's not a fun decision, but you're paid 5 million dollars a year to be able to make the correct decision about assistants, even when it's difficult. I don't have any sympathy for you saying it's difficult to fire assistants after going 2-10, either your assistants are getting fired or you AND your assistants are getting fired because even at Indiana, 2-10 is not going to cut it. If you are that close to your assistants off the field that you can't give them an objective performance review, maybe you're just not cut out to be a HC at a P5 program.

Only time will tell but if he didn't fire Hiller after this past season, I don't think he ever will. Ofc Dolson gets some blame too, he couldn't care less about the football program, better AD's would've stepped in and told Allen that Hiller needed to go, e.g. the Notre Dame AD had to step in and tell Brian Kelly to fire his DC(Brian VanGorder) in 2016 even though BK didn't want to. But Dolson is too caught up in the basketball program to waste any extra energy on football. A lack of commitment to football from the top down is the reason Hiller still has a job at Indiana.

Last edited:
That means nothing. Allen isn't going to name starters after Spring practice.

Hell, 3 years ago, everyone knew Penix was going to start over Ramsey, but he wasn't named until right before the season.

And Allen said he's not going to give any information that Illinois can use.
We all knew MP was the better option (when healthy) but i respect the fact thatCTA gave PR the opportunity to compete for the slot.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It's on Allen, Hiller's not going to leave unless he gets a better offer elsewhere, which will obviously never happen or ofc he get's fired, he's not going to fire himself though. Hiller will never be an O-line coach at another P5 school, he has an extensive track record of being an utter disaster at this level. Whenever he leaves Indiana (which should've been less than 24 hours after the Purdue disaster), will be the last time he coaches at the P5 level.

I've had some minor critiques of Allen in the past, but most of them are really not a big deal enough for me to get mad over, this is mind-boggling though, I never thought he would be dumb enough to risk that 5 million dollar salary for one assistant who has completely derailed the entire offensive unit, but here we are. I saw Allen talk about how difficult it was for him to fire Sheridan, and look I understand that's not a fun decision, but you're paid 5 million dollars a year to be able to make the correct decision about assistants, even when it's difficult. I don't have any sympathy for you saying it's difficult to fire assistants after going 2-10, either your assistants are getting fired or you AND your assistants are getting fired because even at Indiana, 2-10 is not going to cut it. If you are that close to your assistants off the field that you can't give them an objective performance review, maybe you're just not cut out to be a HC at a P5 program.

Only time will tell but if he didn't fire Hiller after this past season, I don't think he ever will. Ofc Dolson gets some blame too, he couldn't care less about the football program, better AD's would've stepped in and told Allen that Hiller needed to go, e.g. the Notre Dame AD had to step in and tell Brian Kelly to fire his DC(Brian VanGorder) in 2016 even though BK didn't want to. But Dolson is too caught up in the basketball program to waste any extra energy on football. A lack of commitment to football from the top down is the reason Hiller still has a job at Indiana.
Par for the course at Mayberry U. We hire inexperienced HC’s and inexperienced AD’s. If IU football is a family, then last year was the antithesis to the stable unit we saw in 2020. I think some of the “family” caused a bunch of disruption in 2021. Leading the charge was DMC and then that trickled down. Warren made the defense look like a shell of itself. The rest got out due to the dysfunction.

The Tuttle we have seen so far certainly isn't. Hopefully there is improvement.
Of course, but that improvment is very rare at this stage of a career. & it could be that he's much better in practice than he is in game(mental), but it makes me very nervous hearing he's a finalist for the starting gig.

Of course, but that improvment is very rare at this stage of a career. & it could be that he's much better in practice than he is in game(mental), but it makes me very nervous hearing he's a finalist for the starting gig.
Looked pretty good to me in the only complete Big Ten game he played (up at WI) where he was truly prepped as #1... Personally, I think the concept that he's a finalist says that he's exactly where he should be at this point.

Last edited:
Looked pretty good to me in the only complete Big Ten game he played (up at WI) where he was truly prepped as #1... Personally, I think the concept that he's a finalist says that he's exactly where he should be at this point.
Offense scored 14 against Wisc in 202 (21 if you count the sure td pass Marshall dropped), that kind of point production is usually a loser in college football. Tuttle is brittle, seems to make poor decisions leading to picks and not the most mobile. He hasn't proven he can lift a team or make others around him better, both traits an IU QB needs to make the program successful. Doubtful Tuttle is ever much more than what we've already seen, particularly with the OL being as bad as it will always be with Hiller as the OL coach. IU needs a QB who can really make plays on his own, Tuttle doesn't seem to be that guy.

Dolson SUCKS, take that to the bank. Indiana desperately needed a football man at the AD position. Dolson can't get his head out the a$$ of a basketball...Utterly sickening if you are a true football man.

And if the defense wasn’t a top 10 turnover creator that year, IU loses at LEAST 2, probably 3, more games.
We caught Covid lightning in a bottle based with an opportunistic defensive approach that played perfectly in that highly non-traditional season. Last year, when the playing field leveled, our D came back to the pack and our O was fully exposed. Hope the house cleaning / departures will give us a fresh slate in 2022, and that TA’s return as the true DC will push that unit back to better results. On offense, we haven’t been through a season where the quarterback didn’t lose time for injuries in years. Bet good money that at least two or three of our guys get meaningful snaps this season.

Go Hoosiers.

Dolson SUCKS, take that to the bank. Indiana desperately needed a football man at the AD position. Dolson can't get his head out the a$$ of a basketball...Utterly sickening if you are a true football man.
This keeps up nicely with Mayberry U.

They keep everything in house. Choose ADs who have never stepped foot outside Mayberry as an AD at another campus. It’s how they roll.

We caught Covid lightning in a bottle based with an opportunistic defensive approach that played perfectly in that highly non-traditional season. Last year, when the playing field leveled, our D came back to the pack and our O was fully exposed. Hope the house cleaning / departures will give us a fresh slate in 2022, and that TA’s return as the true DC will push that unit back to better results. On offense, we haven’t been through a season where the quarterback didn’t lose time for injuries in years. Bet good money that at least two or three of our guys get meaningful snaps this season.

Go Hoosiers.
Always amused by the “all teams suffered from Covid year but IU so it doesn’t count” from rivals and negative Karens. The next year the playing field leveled. Lol

it was level both years.

Allen has had two very good seasons and one very poor one among his five full seasons. This year is a crucial point in his tenure.

Last edited:
Scott’s track record thus far is not reflective of your comments.
I thought Dolson handled the Sheridan buyout with weakness and a lack of commitment to the football program.

The optics of that situation gives the appearance of a very weak AD when it comes to football. Making your head coach pay the buyout on an underperforming assistant seems rinky-dink...

I thought Dolson handled the Sheridan buyout with weakness and a lack of commitment to the football program.

The optics of that situation gives the appearance of a very weak AD when it comes to football. Making your head coach pay the buyout on an underperforming assistant seems rinky-dink...
You are making some assumptions to reach that conclusion that none of us here know the validity of.

Having coach Allen pay to get rid of Sheridan was BS it may be the reason he didn't get rid of coach Hiller.

I think Harbaugh took a haircut when some of his assistants were shown the door. However, if I'd have been Dolson, I would have given Allen a bonus if he canned Hiller.

We don't know, but maybe Allen was cautioned against promoting Sheridan in the first place. Allen deserved to take a little heat for promoting Sheridan (unecessay gamble and dumb move for a program that just experienced how good they could be with a great OC) and hiring Warren whose track record as a DC at Air Force was putrid.

I've felt since the termination that the buyout was as much Coach Allen's idea as it was AD Dolson. Also figure as much emphasis on the OL with visible and behind the scenes changes to mentor and push Hiller as there is with Allen being DC on game day. Allen to me seems always in charge and never shies away from delivering his message.

I've felt since the termination that the buyout was as much Coach Allen's idea as it was AD Dolson. Also figure as much emphasis on the OL with visible and behind the scenes changes to mentor and push Hiller as there is with Allen being DC on game day. Allen to me seems always in charge and never shies away from delivering his message.
It certainly felt that way but as I said, we don’t know the backstory there.

We don't know, but maybe Allen was cautioned against promoting Sheridan in the first place. Allen deserved to take a little heat for promoting Sheridan (unecessay gamble and dumb move for a program that just experienced how good they could be with a great OC) and hiring Warren whose track record as a DC at Air Force was putrid.
DeBoer recommended him for the job and he was generally seen as an up-and-coming assistant prior to that. I really struggle to believe there was anyone in the athletic department warning Allen not to give Sheridan the job.

I have a really difficult time buying into Tuttle. Living in Florida, we were so excited to have IU playing in the Outback Bowl at Raymond James Stadium. Early tailgate, great crowd, IU fans everywhere. AND then the game starts and Tuttle couldn't get out of his own way. Granted, I believe he tweaked an ankle early in that game (due to IU's pathetic offensive line). Still, I can't put in words the disappointment of that game; particularly when compared to the Gator Bowl against Tenn (now that was an enjoyable game) where PR stepped up and despite the loss, IU had that game in control for the better part of the second half.

I have a really difficult time buying into Tuttle. Living in Florida, we were so excited to have IU playing in the Outback Bowl at Raymond James Stadium. Early tailgate, great crowd, IU fans everywhere. AND then the game starts and Tuttle couldn't get out of his own way. Granted, I believe he tweaked an ankle early in that game (due to IU's pathetic offensive line). Still, I can't put in words the disappointment of that game; particularly when compared to the Gator Bowl against Tenn (now that was an enjoyable game) where PR stepped up and despite the loss, IU had that game in control for the better part of the second half.
He separated his throwing shoulder if I recall correctly.

that game was a botch from the start.

The Gator Bowl was an amazing event despite the collapse at the end. IU had 20K+ in the stands and were still outnumbered almost 2:1.

Reactions: DANC
Tuttle hasn't shown he can be more than a serviceable QB so far. He hasn't lived up to his potential and he is running out of time to do so. He does have another chance to show he can do the job though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMFT
The thing is, if Allen has to mentor and guide and oversee Hiller like this, after five years on the job, why the hell is HE (Hiller) not taking a pay cut? Isn’t he in the $350K - $500K range?

we are not talking about a grad assistant or first time HC here. A position coach making that salary should not be requiring that much hand holding and/or be paid like someone who does.

That was a rough last 8 minutes. Up 13, then all of a sudden down 1. Botched FG for the lead was heartbreaking. Then we hold to get the ball back only to turn it over on downs.

PR was masterful with his arm and his legs.

That was a rough last 8 minutes. Up 13, then all of a sudden down 1. Botched FG for the lead was heartbreaking. Then we hold to get the ball back only to turn it over on downs.

PR was masterful with his arm and his legs.
PR was far from the typical backup. PR would have started at half or more of the BIG teams.

that said he was rarely going to lose a close game for you but he was also rarely going to go out and get the big upset win.

Offense scored 14 against Wisc in 202 (21 if you count the sure td pass Marshall dropped), that kind of point production is usually a loser in college football. Tuttle is brittle, seems to make poor decisions leading to picks and not the most mobile. He hasn't proven he can lift a team or make others around him better, both traits an IU QB needs to make the program successful. Doubtful Tuttle is ever much more than what we've already seen, particularly with the OL being as bad as it will always be with Hiller as the OL coach. IU needs a QB who can really make plays on his own, Tuttle doesn't seem to be that guy.
That was at Wisconsin. 21 points vs Wisconsin at Wisconsin is nothing to sneeze at.

He and the Defense did enough to win the game. I don't know of another fan base that denigrates its QB after a win of that magnitude.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT