ADVERTISEMENT

Trump acceptance speech thread.

I love how he started with the ol' "Okay, this is the only time I'll tell this story" bit.
He’s so horrible. Hulkster. Dana white. Rotten no good trump. These are my people. I don’t relate to the rapinoes and kaepernicks and AOC’s and biden/Harris/Newsom.

We have two Americas. Almost evenly divided. Not sure how we go forward

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Something I don't get about Trump's speech. He has teleprompters. So why does he ramble and repeat himself so much? Are his speeches written that way, or is he doing it impromptu? And if the latter, how hard must that be on the guy whose only job is to scroll the text on the teleprompter?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Partially answering my own questions about Trump's speech text, this just posted from the Guardian live feed:

At one point, Trump said, “I’m only standing here by the grace of almighty God.”
I just turned around to look at the teleprompter to see the remarks as prepared for delivery. That line was not scripted.​

Something I don't get about Trump's speech. He has teleprompters. So why does he ramble and repeat himself so much? Are his speeches written that way, or is he doing it impromptu? And if the latter, how hard must that be on the guy whose only job is to scroll the text on the teleprompter?
Prompters are BS anyway. How could Lincoln have become a great orator without his prompter? Or Jackson? Or JFK? Patrick Henry? FDR?

Memorize your key points and speak extemporaneously like a man.

Do you think he's really self-aware enough to make that call? Because he could just be narcissistic and delusional.
Oh, he has no idea. He thinks he’s saving the world.

There’s just something about him that is totally unique. He’s the most divisive person I’ve ever seen. Or will ever see, if I had to guess.

Prompters are BS anyway. How could Lincoln have become a great orator without his prompter? Or Jackson? Or JFK? Patrick Henry? FDR?

Memorize your key points and speak extemporaneously like a man.
I actually support this. I did speech and debate in both high school and college, and I see teleprompters as cheating. They are lazy. But for politicians, they've been standard for decades, so it is what it is.

That's why I'm actually impressed by people who do well in debates. I became a Jon Huntsman fan when he demolished Romney, not because I agreed with anything Huntsman stands for, but because he knew how to make his point on his feet, and deliver it well, while Romney looked like he was swimming upstream.

In that same election, Perry destroyed his campaign because the lack of a prompter made him forget 1/3 of his most important point.

I actually support this. I did speech and debate in both high school and college, and I see teleprompters as cheating. They are lazy. But for politicians, they've been standard for decades, so it is what it is.
I have done the house roast every month in college, known to give a great wedding speech, and some open mics that went really well.

Kudos. Just read. If you don’t read, you can’t speak.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I have done the house roast every month in college, known to give a great wedding speech, and some open mics that went really well.

Love it!! I’ve been known to give a great wedding speech myself. It’s an art

To be clear, it appears that what The Guardian is reporting is that Trump's speech as written is the unity-centric new speech he promised, but he's going off script regularly to be the old Trump we all know and love.

It's the latter.

Love it!! I’ve been known to give a great wedding speech myself. It’s an art
I was best man once, and gave one of the greatest toasts ever. I mean, I had everyone in the Lincoln Financial building (I think it's PNC now? I dunno) just rolling. But I also paid attention to my crowd. When I felt I peaked, before the crowd turned on me, I wrapped it up.

That marriage lasted a good four or five years. Wouldn't have been more than 18 months without my speech.

Also dozens if not hundreds of Kelley and business presentations, followed by cross questioning which are much tougher than debate kids I would think as they are actually knowledgeable.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
More from The Guardian, which may describe the American voter better than anything else:

Alice Herman​
Overheard in the floor section where the Wisconsin delegation is sitting, as Trump talked about the Green Bay Packers having a good season:
“I love this man, my god.”​

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
no the name of the band that played throughout the night

caught up in you
pride and joy
la grange
what I like about you
soul man....etc
It’s a band named Sixwire that is based out of Nashville. Not recording artists but same band that has played at NFL Draft and Daytona 500 in the past.
They feature Lars Ulrich in guest spots on drums.

It’s a band named Sixwire that is based out of Nashville. Not recording artists but same band that has played at NFL Draft and Daytona 500 in the past.
They feature Lars Ulrich in guest spots on drums.
great band

I think they played over at Sweetwater in FW a couple summers ago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT