ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly on the IU Head Coach Position

Auburn fired their head football coach a year after winning a NC because the team lost their seniors and imploded. It can happen.

Notice there has been no vote if confidence from the IU admin. To me that says he's closer to being gibe than not.

Those who believe IU can't hire a top shelf coach are mistaken. IU has all of the elements needed to be successful....money, facilities, fan base, NIL. One thing that is fading fast is name recognition. (Personally, I would like to see Assembly Hall replaced with a state of the art arena....eventually. )
IU's biggest problem has been the recruiting process. We have swung for the fences only once. Brad Stevens wasn't the right guy....nothing was going to bring him to Bloomington.

But settling for Archie Miller after Stevens said No was where the big mistake happened. The Creans and Millers have been abject failures. Go after Billy Donovan with the Brinks Truck....and get Yes or No. Then go after Bruce Pearl or Chris Beard. Don't waste any time with less. IU has to go elephant hunting....nothing else.

I haven't found anything that would suggest he does. So, if that's the case, his role, his authority, is likely being overstated.

Wouldn't the head of the BOT just have one vote just like all the other trustees?
Or maybe it would be like the Vice President and the senate. He only votes when there is a tie vote.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I'm willing to entertain a case being made to keep Woody as HC from a number of different angles (not that I would agree with many/any of those angles, but I would at least hear them out). That said, I lend NO credence to the "it's too soon" and/or "the optics" arguments. It's that type of mentality that had us hold on to Davis, Crean and Miller too long. After 3 years I think they know what they have with him right? He has failed to build a roster of players whose talents compliment each other and I don't think that can be argued. Unless they believe he fixes that in the next few years, why keep him? Whether it's a problem with his vision for how to build the program or the implementation of said vision, it's still his failure to bear right?

He may "deserve" a chance to do so next year, but what does success look like, and will that be defined? And what about the IU alums and faithful? When do they get to stop bearing the brunt of quarter of a century and counting of a mismanaged basketball program?

The attention is rightfully being directed to the football program. That’s what pays the bills. Basketball can wait longer. First things first.

Trilly is saying two independent sources tell him Dolson wants to move but Quinn and a few boosters are holding him back.

Bad.

I give up.
If true, the Governor needs to step in. Micromanaging athletics programs is not the proper role of the Board of Trustees.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Here's something that might not play too well on this page but, I bet Buckner still loves his alma mater and he wants to see it succeed. Just a crazy thought.
I am sure he does. If he does he will tell his friend it’s time.

Reactions: Vern Pain
If true, the Governor needs to step in. Micromanaging athletics programs is not the proper role of the Board of Trustees.
This is the deja vu that has ruined IUBB for 25 years. All sorts of people meddle with the coach hiring and firing and that’s the worst way to make decision.

Sounds like Dolson wants to do something but the support isn’t there. Not too surprising I guess, though I hoped our AD might be allowed to do his job, especially given the implosion this year.

Oh well. One more bad year coming.

Trilly is saying two independent sources tell him Dolson wants to move but Quinn and a few boosters are holding him back.

Bad.

I have no idea what I would do if I had such a high paying job BUT......
I would think at some point, Dolson would say something like "Quit interfering with my job"!

Isn't the decision just between the Pres and Dolson?
If not, it should be!

Bad.
Man...how could a decision like this not be decided yet? One way or another...there's more than enough "data" to have this decision wrapped up. Actually not a great look for Dolson, in my opinion. If Trilly is right, obviously.

Those who believe IU can't hire a top shelf coach are mistaken. IU has all of the elements needed to be successful....money, facilities, fan base, NIL. One thing that is fading fast is name recognition. (Personally, I would like to see Assembly Hall replaced with a state of the art arena....eventually. )
IU's biggest problem has been the recruiting process. We have swung for the fences only once. Brad Stevens wasn't the right guy....nothing was going to bring him to Bloomington.

But settling for Archie Miller after Stevens said No was where the big mistake happened. The Creans and Millers have been abject failures. Go after Billy Donovan with the Brinks Truck....and get Yes or No. Then go after Bruce Pearl or Chris Beard. Don't waste any time with less. IU has to go elephant hunting....nothing else.
Harpo, I have been in favor of replacing AH for about 25 years now. Not a popular sentiment with the fan base. I see no reason why the “history” can’t be moved into new confines. And build new history.
But first things first.
The theme should be that CMW lifted the program and redirected it. His replacement will carry us to national relevance.

Reactions: kkott
Man...how could a decision like this not be decided yet? One way or another...there's more than enough "data" to have this decision wrapped up. Actually not a great look for Dolson, in my opinion. If Trilly is right, obviously.

What is your reason that this is "not a great look for Dolson"?
If the higher ups are resisting him making a move, he has very few options IMO.
One he can try diplomacy to achieve what he thinks should be done or....
He can resign.

As I stated above, he has a pretty good paying job so the later option would be a tough pill to take.
Much like, IIRC, Greenspan hiring Sampson when the rumors were that Sampson was the Pres choice not Greenspan's.

So, sounds like it’s all settled?

No change coming for IU basketball.

(and, on an unrelated side note: we may or may not have a new coach next yr)

The athletic director is not the top of the food chain . That was what happened when Greenspan was forced to hire Sampson . I think Sampson is a really good coach , but the baggage he brought with him led to IU getting hammered . Greenspan then fell on the sword , and had to resign . The biggest thing I learned from that was “don’t self report .” So many schools have done far worse, and never got punished . Back to Dolson , he might have a plan , but he is not going to tell us what it is while the season is going on . Finally the higher ups in the administration might not let him do what he wants . We will all know more in a few weeks .

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Harpo, I have been in favor of replacing AH for about 25 years now. Not a popular sentiment with the fan base. I see no reason why the “history” can’t be moved into new confines. And build new history.
But first things first.
The theme should be that CMW lifted the program and redirected it. His replacement will carry us to national relevance.
I know there are like 4K bad seats out of 17K, but those steep AH stands and weird design create a lot of noise and fan engagement. It is all about the game at AH.

A new place will never have that, though it will be more comfortable with much better sight lines. I don’t know, we have all these pro sports stadiums and arenas, kinda fun to go a stupid weird arena where people really watch the game (and not the Jumbotron/DJ/NBA arena stuff) and it gets really loud.

I get your preference, no issue from me. Just my opinion — I like having a weird old arena. We’ll probably replace it in 20-25 years.

Last edited:
What is your reason that this is "not a great look for Dolson"?
If the higher ups are resisting him making a move, he has very few options IMO.
One he can try diplomacy to achieve what he thinks should be done or....
He can resign.

As I stated above, he has a pretty good paying job so the later option would be a tough pill to take.
Much like, IIRC, Greenspan hiring Sampson when the rumors were that Sampson was the Pres choice not Greenspan's.
Fanbase perception...Dolson has zero power when it comes to basketball decisions.

Non Quinn and his bros, decision makers perception... Annoyed that Dolson and Quinn's group are disagreeing, annoyed that the bball program sucks, but not paying close enough attention to make a determination on who's "fault" it is.

Quinn and his bros perception...we've got this guy in the palm of our hand

Woody's perception...I guess Quinn and his bros are my actual boss.

Right now, I just can't see Woody improving enough to make a huge difference towards improvement next year. The "noise" is going to be very, very loud at the end of this season. And I think initially it will be next season too, but if/when next season goes similarly to this season, I think much more wide spread apathy will kick in. Apathy leads to less and less revenue...and that's what an AD's job, at IU, is most about.

Dolson will get fired next year because of that. Quinn's term is up, so he'll just "go away". But Dolson, despite being one that seems to be in favor of acting now, will be seen otherwise, and will be the one that takes the blame from most involved parties, probably including our fan base.

If he believes acting now is the right thing to do, he needs to push that, and stake his IU career on it.

IU needs to lose all its remaining games. I don't take joy in saying that, but it's necessary for the future of this program.
I'll just bet on IU. That will guarantee they lose every remaining game spectacularly. You're welcome

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
Fanbase perception...Dolson has zero power when it comes to basketball decisions.

Non Quinn and his bros, decision makers perception... Annoyed that Dolson and Quinn's group are disagreeing, annoyed that the bball program sucks, but not paying close enough attention to make a determination on who's "fault" it is.

Quinn and his bros perception...we've got this guy in the palm of our hand

Woody's perception...I guess Quinn and his bros are my actual boss.

Right now, I just can't see Woody improving enough to make a huge difference towards improvement next year. The "noise" is going to be very, very loud at the end of this season. And I think initially it will be next season too, but if/when next season goes similarly to this season, I think much more wide spread apathy will kick in. Apathy leads to less and less revenue...and that's what an AD's job, at IU, is most about.

Dolson will get fired next year because of that. Quinn's term is up, so he'll just "go away". But Dolson, despite being one that seems to be in favor of acting now, will be seen otherwise, and will be the one that takes the blame from most involved parties, probably including our fan base.

If he believes acting now is the right thing to do, he needs to push that, and stake his IU career on it.
95-99% of IU basketball fans aren't even thinking about or know of any involvement by Quinn Buckner.

The truth is, quite a few people have just run with a lot of rumors as fact and now are just accepting them as fact without any sort of confirmation.

I know there are like 4K bad seats out of 17K, but those steep AH stands and weird design create a lot of noise and fan engagement. It is all about the game at AH.

A new place will never have that, though it will be more comfortable with much better sight lines. I don’t know, we have all these pro sports stadiums and arenas, kinda fun to go a stupid weird arena where people really watch the game (and not the Jumbotron/DJ/NBA arena stuff) and it gets really loud.

I get your preference, no issue from me. Just my opinion — I like having a weird old arena. We’ll probably replace it in 20-25 years.
TH,
We are definitely in different camps on this issue.
1. I appreciate the funding from the Simon and Skjodt families for the face lift.
2. I think you have the numbers reversed. Far more bad seats than good seats.
3. I have had the benefit of attending mega non-IU bball games at arenas around the country. There are so many better places than AH.
4. I occasionally attend Pacer games with good seats but find myself watching the game on the Jumbotron rather than the floor.
5. I think the IU team on the floor and the fans in the stands in a new arena would be as good if not better than what AH allows.

Reactions: Cavanagh
TH,
1. I appreciate the funding from the Simon and Skjodt families for the face lift.
3. I have had the benefit of attending mega non-IU bball games at arenas around the country. There are so many better places than AH.
4. I occasionally attend Pacer games with good seats but find myself watching the game on the Jumbotron rather than the floor.
5. I think the IU team on the floor and the fans in the stands in a new arena would be as good if not better than what AH allows.
Assembly Hall is listed in everyone's top 10 of college basketball arenas. Not Wisconsin (new venue). Not Marquette (NBA arena). Those venues are bland. Good sightlines? Sure. Great atmosphere? Nothing special. Breslin, Mackey...loud and good sight lines, but nothing special.

But the governor getting involved is a good use of his time??
If the Board of Trustees is acting improperly then yes. He is the one who appoints the Trustees, he can tell them to stay in their lane, same situation if any Trustee was exerting improper influence to get a friend installed in one of the highest (probably THE highest) paying public jobs in the state.

TH,
Rows 30 and below are fine, as is the first 5 in the balcony.

Gainbridge is a great NBA arena. The best test I can think of was the Maryland game there after we lost to them in natty. That was a riled up IU sell out crowd and I went. It was maybe half or 2/3 of the AH atmosphere because everyone is separated into different tiers and sections with suites pushing fans further from the floor. AH is mostly two big vertical stands (that would never meet current code) and everyone is connected. It’s really pretty special.

The new places just won’t have that same charm and atmosphere, even if they try. New Yankee stadium lost it. Maryland’s replacement for their old fieldhouse lost it. Tottenham tried to design a noisy modern stadium and it’s not. Kohl and Breslin are meh.

Anyways, this is the least of our problems. I appreciate your views here, no issue disagreeing. Unrelated — agree on Steely Dan 👍.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdhoosier
If the Board of Trustees is acting improperly then yes. He is the one who appoints the Trustees, he can tell them to stay in their lane, same situation if any Trustee was exerting improper influence to get a friend installed in one of the highest (probably THE highest) paying public jobs in the state.
And the BoT has the same influence over the President, who has the same influence over department heads.

95-99% of IU basketball fans aren't even thinking about or know of any involvement by Quinn Buckner.

The truth is, quite a few people have just run with a lot of rumors as fact and now are just accepting them as fact without any sort of confirmation.
That's Fan101 stuff...

And its why I said it isn't a good look for Dolson. Doesn't matter who's pulling the strings on this, "most" people will associate all this with Dolson. He's the AD, he hired Woody, he gave him the raise, and he'll be the one retaining/firing him.

Quinn's done at IU next year no matter what happens. He'll walk away "Scott free"...no matter what. Dolson is going to have to live with this decision for the rest of his ADing career.

Reactions: Al Bino
Assembly Hall is listed in everyone's top 10 of college basketball arenas. Not Wisconsin (new venue). Not Marquette (NBA arena). Those venues are bland. Good sightlines? Sure. Great atmosphere? Nothing special. Breslin, Mackey...loud and good sight lines, but nothing special.
I have to assume that list would be based on history, tradition, tough place to win (even for the home team currently). It would not be based on the fan experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT