ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly on the IU Head Coach Position

I think Dolson wanted an IU guy, and let’s face it, the coaching tree at that point was Woodson and Alford. Dolson I think saw Fife needing a little more seasoning and added him as an assistant thinking, in a perfect world, Woodson coaches for 3-4 years and turns it over to Dane. That went to hell in a hand basket quickly obviously and here we are.

IU can get a good coach. With the pay, fan support, and NIL any sensible coach knows they have the ability to win here and would be a darling of the state. Everyone wants to point at the fan base being unrealistic. Total bullshit. The fan base is the only thing holding this together. The product on the floor hasn’t warranted the fan support the program receives. IU has made bad hires. And how each of the coaches that have been fired (save Sampson who wasn’t let go because of on court performance) have performed in their next stops just confirms that. Get the right guy that runs a modern offense (big Woodson issue, among others), has some personality (Archie problem), and isn’t a weirdo (Crean).
They wanted an iu guy period they didn't care about credentials. They own this disaster

The many recent changes in college college basketball (portal, NIL) have lit a fire under the old adage ‘what have you done for me lately’? I would add that although it’s always been a business, I would argue that’s never been more true. In other words, money will always drown out the voices of individuals (Buckner).

Add to this:
- Very good possibility of losing our last 8 games of the regular season.
- Worst team since Crean’s 3rd year
- Incoming class, with no momentum
- Zero roster management
- Addition of 4 PAC 10 teams to the league next year, putting IU deeper into irrelevance
- And last, has Woody lost his team, which to me is the most important of any of the above.

The program has an inner toxicity that’s visible to anyone paying attention, so making a change at this point is not only smart, it’s simply the right thing to do. The only question is how to do it.
KenPom-wise, this team is considerably worse than Crean’s year 3 squad.

Reactions: edub72
Will write this again, you can't fire a guy after one bad season. You will never get anyone worth a crap to come to Indiana.

Now, I do agree that I don't think he is the answer. I've said from day one, IU is too prestigious of a program to recruit kids using NIL as the main attraction. You'll never build a sustainable culture that way.
You absolutely CAN. When the coach has had 3 years to get this setup for success and has shit the bed in year 3 to this degree with no clear path for improvement next year…. THAT is how you can fire a coach after 1 terrible year.

He isn't going anywhere. Quinn has his back.
I think Quinn’s influence is likely reducing with each loss. Where is Quinn’s support going to be if Woodson has zero or even one win remaining? I’d say he already used up some of his capital with the hire. If he is one remaining voice with power who wants to give Woodson another year, how much weight will that carry? He then starts looking like he wants to keep him for personal reasons instead of what is best for the program. I’d guess he would be quickly outmaneuvered.

I don’t know. Trilly is one of the better sources. Find a source that says Woody is safe.

I get the skepticism, it’s IUBB, it’s a nightmare. I really didn’t think there might be a change. However things are so so bad with no prospect of much improvement that the AD can’t avoid real negative consequences.

We will lose millions in revenue next year if we keep this up. NIL will slow down. It just has to when fans are mad and apathetic and they donate less and attend fewer games.

So, pay the price for a for a coaching change or lose revenue. There is no easy way out for Scott, therefore a coaching change probably isn’t totally off the table.
Perfect example is how I went to the shit show in Atlanta against Auburn. That won’t happen again next year. Talk about embarrassing showing. I still took the beating watching games on TV, but at this point, I really don’t care if I miss a game. Apathy towards this program can lead to a permanent loss of a large swath of the fan base if they simply find something else. Then good luck getting them all back.

I think Quinn’s influence is likely reducing with each loss. Where is Quinn’s support going to be if Woodson has zero or even one win remaining? I’d say he already used up some of his capital with the hire. If he is one remaining voice with power who wants to give Woodson another year, how much weight will that carry? He then starts looking like he wants to keep him for personal reasons instead of what is best for the program. I’d guess he would be quickly outmaneuvered.
Yep. Political capital only goes so far. Especially if what you pushed for turned out to be a shit show.

Will write this again, you can't fire a guy after one bad season. You will never get anyone worth a crap to come to Indiana.

Now, I do agree that I don't think he is the answer. I've said from day one, IU is too prestigious of a program to recruit kids using NIL as the main attraction. You'll never build a sustainable culture that way.
Its not just one "bad" year by what IUs standards should be. It was one mediocre year, one ok year(that should be the baseline), and one dumpster fire shit year. Add all that up and it equals a "bad" 3 year stint.

Anyone remember the Bears announcing the hiring of Head Coach Dave McGinnis? Only problem was that they thought he had accepted the job when he hadn’t.

In the sports business world, in order to be successful you need to have a BS detector.

I think this is what happened with Stevens.

Putting out feelers is one thing. Correctly interpreting a candidates interest is a different matter altogether. Even if there is a handshake agreement there is always the risk that the person is scared off by something odd lurking under the hood at last inspection.
Hello, fellow Chicago guy...

The McGinnis fiasco was so-McCaskey. A lot of similarities between how The Beloved and IU hoops are run

I haven't found anything that would suggest he does. So, if that's the case, his role, his authority, is likely being overstated.
Yea. I’m sure he has some real influence, which we probably saw pushed Woody up the list last time. But if Dolson, Pam, donors and some other trustees are like look the team isn’t improving and we’re losing $, Quinn isn’t an Emperor/Dictator that will just say “no”. He will probably make the bar to change coaches higher, but not impossible.

Yea. I’m sure he has some real influence, which we probably saw pushed Woody up the list last time. But if Dolson, Pam, donors and some other trustees are like look the team isn’t improving and we’re losing $, Quinn isn’t an Emperor/Dictator that will just say “no”. He will probably make the bar to change coaches higher, but not impossible.

Here's something that might not play too well on this page but, I bet Buckner still loves his alma mater and he wants to see it succeed. Just a crazy thought.

Not sure Dolson has the authority. Definitely has the responsibility to do so.
I would not have guessed the AD has the power to fire the BB coach. I think both fire and hire decisions are run up the ladder. Mega donators, select BOT members, and a decision presented to the president.

I would not have guessed the AD has the power to fire the BB coach. I think both fire and hire decisions are run up the ladder. Mega donators, select BOT members, and a decision presented to the president.
Not without prearranged financing.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I’m no Purdue expert, but it appears he finished last one time, which was his ninth year as coach and he already had a nice run with that Baby Boilers team he built to win the conference, which was pretty impressive.

Also, the season he finished last may have been impacted by his divorce.

Not comparable to IU’s situation now — no B1G title, no successful team built, etc.
More than anything else, THE PORTAL. Totally different day.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I think Dolson wanted an IU guy, and let’s face it, the coaching tree at that point was Woodson and Alford. Dolson I think saw Fife needing a little more seasoning and added him as an assistant thinking, in a perfect world, Woodson coaches for 3-4 years and turns it over to Dane. That went to hell in a hand basket quickly obviously and here we are.

IU can get a good coach. With the pay, fan support, and NIL any sensible coach knows they have the ability to win here and would be a darling of the state. Everyone wants to point at the fan base being unrealistic. Total bullshit. The fan base is the only thing holding this together. The product on the floor hasn’t warranted the fan support the program receives. IU has made bad hires. And how each of the coaches that have been fired (save Sampson who wasn’t let go because of on court performance) have performed in their next stops just confirms that. Get the right guy that runs a modern offense (big Woodson issue, among others), has some personality (Archie problem), and isn’t a weirdo (Crean).
Hell in a hand basket and a weirdo Crean reference in the same post! 👏👏👏 😂

The spring portal starts mid-March. I think we’ll know by then, as the coach for next year will need five or so players from the portal, and it would be dumb to have Woody do the spring portal for his “system” and then switch him out later this year.

I still think it’s 50/50. IU wants to keep him but it’s so hard to make a case for it.
IU needs to lose all its remaining games. I don't take joy in saying that, but it's necessary for the future of this program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT