ADVERTISEMENT

Tremont Waters

Jan 28, 2015
Sounds as if IU is sitting well with Waters and he is supposed to decide in the next few weeks. I am in the minority, but he is a bigger need than Wilkes. IU needs a true PG and Nerwkirk is a huge question mark. However, both Wilkes and Waters would be huge.

Would be a great get for CTC. He thinks he is one and done, but I would predict a career like Yogi.

Newkirk will be very good point guard.
The jury is out on Josh. Today was just one practice, but Rob had much better command of the court than Josh. Also, Josh's shooting mechanics look way off. He also better be able to hit free throws if he expects to be on the court during crunch time. I think TC had wanted to play a two guard offense but Hartman's injury has probably nixed that plan. Josh will probably start at point. Let's hope he can grow his game and improve his stroke. If he can't you can he be sure quality teams will use that to their advantage in how they defend Thomas, like more double teams. BTW didn't see a whole lot of feeding the post today. In fact, it seemed like the offense was playing much too fast, which led to very sloppy play. Hopefully more practices over the next few weeks will smooth things out.

Reactions: bsmitty08
The jury is out on Josh. Today was just one practice, but Rob had much better command of the court than Josh. Also, Josh's shooting mechanics look way off. He also better be able to hit free throws if he expects to be on the court during crunch time. I think TC had wanted to play a two guard offense but Hartman's injury has probably nixed that plan. Josh will probably start at point. Let's hope he can grow his game and improve his stroke. If he can't you can he be sure quality teams will use that to their advantage in how they defend Thomas, like more double teams. BTW didn't see a whole lot of feeding the post today. In fact, it seemed like the offense was playing much too fast, which led to very sloppy play. Hopefully more practices over the next few weeks will smooth things out.

Newkirk looked awful- but I have no idea why, so I won't say much else.

RoJo would be my choice to run PG on the first unit. People forget how hurt he was- and how well he played before he got hurt last year.

Reactions: schmib
Newkirk looked awful- but I have no idea why, so I won't say much else.

RoJo would be my choice to run PG on the first unit. People forget how hurt he was- and how well he played before he got hurt last year.
He'll need to be much better with the ball if he's going to play the point.

Agree during scrim I'm. Bryant hardly touched the ball

I just don't understand why any coach at an elite program that has the IQ of a door knob would take a commit from a sub-300 guy so far in advance. Maybe Crean is planning to give him the David Williams treatment.

Reactions: thoops7
I just don't understand why any coach at an elite program that has the IQ of a door knob would take a commit from a sub-300 guy so far in advance. Maybe Crean is planning to give him the David Williams treatment.

If we land Waters and Hartman stays for his 5th, IMO someone will get "Williams-ed" or "Patterson-ed".

Too many guards with Waters....

If we land Waters and Hartman stays for his 5th, IMO someone will get "Williams-ed" or "Patterson-ed".

Too many guards with Waters....
I would think maybe one of the young guards my see the picture and leave because of the lack of playing time. If Jones or Green does not see the floor as much as they hope this year they might look to go somewhere else like Hoetszle did.

I would think maybe one of the young guards my see the picture and leave because of the lack of playing time. If Jones or Green does not see the floor as much as they hope this year they might look to go somewhere else like Hoetszle did.
I think Durham was an impulse buy. He is a recruit that honestly doesn't make sense. He isn't a true pg and he isn't a big physical guard like a Scruggs.

The pace was too quick and the shots came too quick if this was a real game. This was a practice and the pace and play could be designed to build on the drills they ran earlier in the hour. At least I hope so. Crean mentioned they were doing something new and he was expecting play to be more sloppy than it actually was. It isn't a comment I wanted to hear, but if you want to play that fast, you might expect some ugly play in the early practices.

On the positive side, we did move the ball quickly and I saw OG make at least 3 free throws in a row. Actually, OG was scoring very easily. On the negative side, we did give up open looks and as I mentioned, OG was scoring too easily. Some of the sloppy play was from players driving the lane and trying to make a pass to the perimeter as they had worked on in the drills before the scrimmage.

I think Durham was an impulse buy. He is a recruit that honestly doesn't make sense. He isn't a true pg and he isn't a big physical guard like a Scruggs.

Don't forget about Devonte Green. If we were going to do a massive reach for a PG we already did it.

I'm curious because PG seems to be our biggest question mark. The people who watched the practice the other day didn't seem impressed with Newkirk.
Pg in my opinion will be any of the 3 guards in the game. We won't have a guy like yogi dominating the ball. I think our guards will be fine at playmaking after watching them but I'm afraid turnovers will be an issue.

Who is that?

And if they don't?

Who is that?
A guy who Crean took a commitment from the same year we got Vic & Will.

The funny part? After committing to IU, Williams shot up to #107 in the ESPN rankings - then played summer ball with the Atlanta Celtics, where his abilities (or lack thereof) were badly exposed. He dropped out of the top 150 and was never seen anywhere close again. Finally signed with NC Greensboro. Ended up even lower than Grant Gelon on the 247 rankings.

Last edited:

Who are you talking about Willis?

Just saw on twitter that Waters is making decision tomorrow. Would be a huge get and hopefully something that Wilkes likes as well!!

Sounds as if IU is sitting well with Waters and he is supposed to decide in the next few weeks. I am in the minority, but he is a bigger need than Wilkes. IU needs a true PG and Nerwkirk is a huge question mark. However, both Wilkes and Waters would be huge.

CTC only had 3 years to recruit a replacement for Yogi, so you can't really blame him.

I think at the end of this year that we will say Robert did a lot better job at the point that what we thought he would he is very capable. We will have two of the best guards in the country by years end barring injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT