ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean sure looks like he is struggling

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
at Georgia. Big win over Alabama to keep the lifeless fans there a bragging point, only to be brought back down to earth with a loss to Vandy. I think they are 6-15 and 1 win in conference? Ouch. Does Georgia give him one more season to get atleast into the NIT? I’d like to think they were wanting atleast an NIT bid this season…’IDK, Georgia’s problem now, and there is always the SEC tournament I guess.

at Georgia. Big win over Alabama to keep the lifeless fans there a bragging point, only to be brought back down to earth with a loss to Vandy. I think they are 6-15 and 1 win in conference? Ouch. Does Georgia give him one more season to get atleast into the NIT? I’d like to think they were wanting atleast an NIT bid this season…’IDK, Georgia’s problem now, and there is always the SEC tournament I guess.
Lack of deflections?

He’s gone. I can’t imagine the GA administration is happy seeing his results and also seeing what Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, Texas etc are doing in basketball.

He will probably does what he always does land a five star recruit this spring to save his job for one more year.

Reactions: kkott
Let me just say that I am glad Tom Crean is not our coach. But some of you guys sure have a lot of misplaced hate for the guy...

We have been to exactly three (3) sweet 16s in the last 20 season and Tom Crean took us to all three of them. He had our program ranked #1 in the country for a good stretch of a season. He is about the only coach we've had in 20 years to make us relevant in college basketball. He also took over a dumpster fire, of our own making, but he did it and rebuilt us back into a NCAA tournament team and #1.

I get it. He could not sustain the success. He was not a good in-game coach and he was just not very likeable. And his teams suffered and he was fired - good. But he is the only head coach (to date) that has done jack shit for the program in 20 years.

Caught a few seconds of a GA game recently. They were getting smoked but I don't remember by who. Saw him pacing on the sideline and thought immediately how happy I was that he was not on our sideline and how we suffered a long time with coaches who were not big enough for the stage. Woody sets the stage. I love it. Go Hoosiers!
What so many failed to realize, me included, is that the IU job requires a larger than life figure. Basketball is god in Indiana, and always will be. You have to be able to harness that power and use it to your advantage. There is 0 question Woody owns that part of the job.

Let me just say that I am glad Tom Crean is not our coach. But some of you guys sure have a lot of misplaced hate for the guy...

We have been to exactly three (3) sweet 16s in the last 20 season and Tom Crean took us to all three of them. He had our program ranked #1 in the country for a good stretch of a season. He is about the only coach we've had in 20 years to make us relevant in college basketball. He also took over a dumpster fire, of our own making, but he did it and rebuilt us back into a NCAA tournament team and #1.

I get it. He could not sustain the success. He was not a good in-game coach and he was just not very likeable. And his teams suffered and he was fired - good. But he is the only head coach (to date) that has done jack shit for the program in 20 years.
I could have taken us to 3 sweet 16s with Vic, Cody, OG, Yogi, TB..... So could have you, that's the problem.

I agree... People tend to forget that literally NOBODY wanted the job in 2008.... Tom was not exactly numero uno choice.

Reactions: mobilehoosier

Had he not completely shit the bed against Syracuse things may have went differently. Probably not. But that was nearly unforgivable in the way he did it.

struggling keeping his pants up?

I did not like Crean very much and wanted him gone. But in my wildest dreams I never thought we were firing him to get somebody worse. He had much better success than Archie and I would rather of kept him another year to get somebody else instead of Archie knowing what we know now. He had two sweet sixteens and Archie could not even sniff the tourney.

Amazed he even fielded a full team this year with all the players that left last year. They might be overarching.

I'll have to watch the film.

I did not like Crean very much and wanted him gone. But in my wildest dreams I never thought we were firing him to get somebody worse. He had much better success than Archie and I would rather of kept him another year to get somebody else instead of Archie knowing what we know now. He had two sweet sixteens and Archie could not even sniff the tourney.
Archie was going to make it in the covid year..

What so many failed to realize, me included, is that the IU job requires a larger than life figure. Basketball is god in Indiana, and always will be. You have to be able to harness that power and use it to your advantage. There is 0 question Woody owns that part of the job.
Good post. I think an IU coach has to know more about basketball (or have the perception that he knows more) than most basketball fans in Indiana. That is very hard to do. Bobby taught us with a blackboard on his show. O and D sets. Who we were trying to stop, etc. Woody has the cred. Hard to argue with NBA tournament teams built from the ground up for two franchises plus a personal B1G "player of the year." Even if we suck he's cool. I'm loving this year. He's getting us ready for a run. Been a minute. Go Hoosiers!

Yeaoh squeak in but not last year and if he had a fifth year he would not have made it. The whole team was going to leave on him.
Maybe true. But it is also true that he just barely lost the job. Maybe 2 wins difference.

When he was young, he had some some success at Marquette, and caught lightning in a bottle with Dwayne Wade. He rode that to Indiana where he did the same thing with Oladipo. He kept trying to do that with 3 stars and kept striking out. He was gimmicky and could care less about taking car of the ball or fundamentals. The book is out on him, but I'm thankful for what he did for the program. What he needs is a team with name recognition that will bring in recruits, but he keeps striking out. He'd be a good AD or a good announcer.

They just won a NC in "their" sport. If I were Tom, I'd try and convince them I was the good luck charm for their football team ("How many NC's did you win in the prior 30 years before I became your head bball coach?"). Lifetime contract!

I don't comment very often but feel compelled to do so now. First, I was not at all satisfied with the direction of our program under CTC, nor did I have any confidence that he was going to take it where we all wanted it to go. I DO, however want to share a story about the CTC as a person. It wasn't long after he accepted the job that my brother and BIL went to Bloomington and showed up to his office unannounced. I'm sure he was extremely busy at the time trying to get settled in and set up his program, but he let those guys in his office. My brother had handcrafted some Indiana Basketball plaques, routed in the shape of the state with wording of the national championships won by the program. Tom accepted one of the plaques, was told he displayed it on the wall, but he also sat with my brother and BIL for a lengthy time, talking about the importance of the sport of basketball in our state. When my brother passed, CTC had already moved on. My daughter was attending IU and knew CTC's daughter. She asked about the IU plaque in question and was told that it was one of her father's favorite items, he remembered that day well and he packed up that Indiana Basketball plaque to keep with him moving forward. I cannot have too many ill feelings toward the man even though I felt he had stayed well past his welcome. He did what he did here, he's gone and I wish him the best of luck in whatever he's now doing or going to do in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT