ADVERTISEMENT

TJD on Campus Today

I don't think he is, either.

I can understand not wanting to return to "Creaning", but IMHO Archie hasn't done anything yet to deserve that criticism. And, again, I believe Archie must know something about his team to believe he might have multiple spots that he'll have to fill after the end of this coming season.

Did he tell all the players "your my guys" when he took over in March? Sure he did, but after a year in his system it's not unreasonable to believe maybe ONE guy may feel Archie's system is not for him, is it? I could see a kid like CuJo wanting to look elsewhere. That doesn't mean he's a bad kid or that Archie is "trying" to run him off; sometimes, some things aren't a good fit. Doesn't mean there has to be blame.

Again, if Archie has players leaving year after year to make room for recruits it'll be a different story. But it hasn't happened one time yet. Doesn't Archie deserve a benefit of the doubt until then? I say he does.
I am kind of surprised that Jones came back this year because he never seemed really engaged during the games last year. I could see him or Durham seeing the writing on the wall if Garland and Romeo commit.

Another thing is that with all the transfers through college basketball today you have to be prepare for it. With over 700 transfers each year that means each team on average losing two players a year. If you are not prepared and you lose 2 or 3 in one year then the fans will rip you for not having a plan.

I can understand not wanting to return to "Creaning", but IMHO Archie hasn't done anything yet to deserve that criticism. And, again, I believe Archie must know something about his team to believe he might have multiple spots that he'll have to fill after the end of this coming season.

Did he tell all the players "your my guys" when he took over in March? Sure he did, but after a year in his system it's not unreasonable to believe maybe ONE guy may feel Archie's system is not for him, is it? I could see a kid like CuJo wanting to look elsewhere. That doesn't mean he's a bad kid or that Archie is "trying" to run him off; sometimes, some things aren't a good fit. Doesn't mean there has to be blame.

Again, if Archie has players leaving year after year to make room for recruits it'll be a different story. But it hasn't happened one time yet. Doesn't Archie deserve a benefit of the doubt until then? I say he does.

I mostly agree with you. It's hard to explain to my brother (who was a Crean supporter to the end) why it's okay for Archie to do (or appear to be doing) what I criticized Crean for with some fervor.

We all gave 2-3 years of mulligans to the last regime in the W-L column and rightfully so. I think it makes sense to give Archie a couple of grief free years relative to roster building. The entire landscape of College Hoops may take a dramatic shift during the mulligan phase... who knows.

Let's play who am I?
"I hate tall people, I'm little, I hate forwards, I'm so little, I hate experts, I'm teeny tiny, grumble, grumble!"
Did you leave out "R-o-l-l-l-l eyes" on purpose, or are you talking about a different person?

Can you guys kindly exchange cell numbers and conduct your bickering between yourselves? You can compare bank accounts and whose dad can beat up the other in private.This is an IU basketball forum
They need to get two hotel rooms. One for Tasmanian Devil and a college girlfriend who didn't like him then but does now. The other for Las Vegas Hoosier and, well, who cares.

Also...The truth of it is that I don't think we're getting Garland anyway... so none of this really matters:)

Great post! I'll throw this out there for Vegas to check out as well. Izzo has 4 guards (as designated by verbalcommits.com) on his roster for this season. Next years class is comprised of 4 forwards and 1 guard. Here's the link to check it out http://verbalcommits.com/schools/michigan-state

I'm not the biggest Izzo fan in the world, but I think he knows what he's doing building a roster.

Also, I get the agitation from Vegas and don't think he's a moron! It does seem odd to take Forrester with both Langford and Garland possibly on the hook. I think the answer here is simple. Miller will open spots via creaning in the early stages of his tenure. I don't think it will be a yearly habit, but he will cut your ass in the best interest of the team.

Another thing to consider is that open transferring may be a thing by next season. Once players have the ability to transfer willy-nilly without the consequence of sitting out a season, coaches will be forced into over-recruiting and creaning. It will be a whole new ball game and there are some who believe it starts this next off-season.

Personally, I'd rather have a 3 or 4 year player that I'm very high on (like Forrester) than a 1-and-done anyway, but it makes sense that others would be aggravated. If Crean were in this position we would all be complaining, and I think that may be Vegas's point more than anything else.
I agree with most of your post, but when you say "Creaning, is that the same as "Knighting"? Here's a link to show you what I am referring to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Calloway

He does have a point, however these aren't archie's guys. .

That's a complete load of crap and a pathetic thing to think for any "real" fan.

If Archie didn't want them on the team, he should have told them to hit the road like he did with Gelon. He asked them back so they are his.

Period.

I mostly agree with you. It's hard to explain to my brother (who was a Crean supporter to the end) why it's okay for Archie to do (or appear to be doing) what I criticized Crean for with some fervor.

We all gave 2-3 years of mulligans to the last regime in the W-L column and rightfully so. I think it makes sense to give Archie a couple of grief free years relative to roster building. The entire landscape of College Hoops may take a dramatic shift during the mulligan phase... who knows.
It's not the same. We still have a roster spot open. Crean had 16 commits last year for 13 spots and was still recruiting. Other schools over-sign once in awhile, no one over-commits like Crean did, save Buzz Williams and a few low major coaches.

I agree with most of your post, but when you say "Creaning, is that the same as "Knighting"? Here's a link to show you what I am referring to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Calloway

I haven't looked at the link yet, but this was my only real issue with Knight and I grumbled and complained about it often. I was ready to fire Knight myself after Recker left.

All that said, there are cases like Winston Morgan, Daryl Thomas and Andre Emmitt that seem to indicate that Knight may have left the ultimate decision up to the player. Maybe Knight made players want to leave, but didn't actually force them out in most instances. I have no idea one way or the other, but 3 Championships can cause you to try to make excuses.

It's not the same. We still have a roster spot open. Crean had 16 commits last year for 13 spots and was still recruiting. Other schools over-sign once in awhile, no one over-commits like Crean did, save Buzz Williams and a few low major coaches.
Spot on.

There's a reason why extreme over-recruiting is called Creaning . . .

Spot on.

There's a reason why extreme over-recruiting is called Creaning . . .

Yea, every coach does it once in awhile. They just don't do it it as consistently, as much, or with as many, and more importantly, they generally do it in a different order. Like getting rid of a player BEFORE getting a commit from a new one.

Recent years Ryan, McCaffery, Pitino (more than once) and others I'm forgetting.

But when you do it every year (from 2004 to 2017) only skipping 3 years and in one of those years we had players kicked off the team, that's where the problem lies. He was a serial over recruiter.

Go back to Wilke's comments about IU recruiting him and you can see the effects and the washy washiness and duplicity of our former coach on full display.

This is not pointed at Pater, in any way, but more pointed to the CBL's...

Next we'll be explaining that it's actually okay to make a substitution and making one is not the same as Coach Deflections obsessive yanking of players based on some stupid conditioning chart he came up with.

It's practically the same argument.

I once tried to show everyone what Crean's sub problem really was and used a site that showed stints to do it. ie 35 to 40 subs a game, while most good coaches stayed in the 20 range with some in the teens.

But people still think it means he played 10 deep. *SIGH*

The site no longer posts stints, so, my only tool to educate the orange ignorance was taken from me.

Last edited:
Yea, every coach does it once in awhile. They just don't do it it as consistently, as much, or with as many, and more importantly, they generally do it in a different order. Like getting rid of a player BEFORE getting a commit from a new one.

Recent years Ryan, McCaffery, Pitino (more than once) and others I'm forgetting.

But when you do it every year (from 2004 to 2017) only skipping 3 years and in one of those years we had players kicked off the team, that's where the problem lies. He was a serial over recruiter.

Go back to Wilke's comments about IU recruiting him and you can see the effects and the washy washiness and duplicity of our former coach on full display.

Next we'll be explaining that it's actually okay to make a substitution and making one is not the same as Coach Deflections obsessive yanking of players based on some stupid conditioning chart he came up with.

I once tried to show everyone what Crean's sub problem really was and used a site that showed stints to do it. IE 35 to 40 subs a game, while most good coaches stayed in the 20 range with some in the teens.

The site no longer posts stints, so, my only tool to educate the orange ignorance was taken from me.
Stats only mean something if you understand what they are trying to measure.

You can make numbers say whatever you want. But, odds are, playing the way Archie has indicated he wants IU to play will give us the best opportunity for long-term success.

I once tried to show everyone what Crean's sub problem really was and used a site that showed stints to do it. IE 35 to 40 subs a game, while most good coaches stayed in the 20 range with some in the teens.

Good post! I had to laugh at the last 2 sentences... too funny!

Creanian teams often had less-than-DI talent using scholarships who had no internally-generated incentive to transfer. It had to be provided.

Stats only mean something if you understand what they are trying to measure.

You can make numbers say whatever you want. But, odds are, playing the way Archie has indicated he wants IU to play will give us the best opportunity for long-term success.
Yup, stats show what they are intended to show.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I could see a kid like CuJo wanting to look elsewhere.

What is it with the recurrent theme of CuJo transferring? Ever since the end of last Season he always seems to be mentioned as a candidate for some such. For some reason after one year at IU under a sketchy coach he seems to have been singled out for rumors/theories/suspicions that he'll leave. Wish everyone would lay off lest this become some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy thing - pretty sure we haven't seen anything close to his best as yet and it must be a serious downer as a Player to get the sense that the 'fans' think so much of you that they freely discuss your impending departure.

Our Team is on the Floor...

That's a complete load of crap and a pathetic thing to think for any "real" fan.

If Archie didn't want them on the team, he should have told them to hit the road like he did with Gelon. He asked them back so they are his.

Period.
What's he supposed to do? Cut half the team for as many guys as he's recruiting?

And Gelon is going to be a benchwarmer for a mid major. I don't think he deserves to be on an IU team that went 5-27.

My guess is your're response is going to be "Not sign so many forwards blah blah real fans something blah blah hypocrite blah blah forward forward forward forwarrrrrrd!!!"

Edit: Also, the only people he asked back were the freshman. All he did was not kick them off.

Last edited:
What is it with the recurrent theme of CuJo transferring? Ever since the end of last Season he always seems to be mentioned as a candidate for some such. For some reason after one year at IU under a sketchy coach he seems to have been singled out for rumors/theories/suspicions that he'll leave. Wish everyone would lay off lest this become some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy thing - pretty sure we haven't seen anything close to his best as yet and it must be a serious downer as a Player to get the sense that the 'fans' think so much of you that they freely discuss your impending departure.

Listen, I could be totally wrong. I'm not saying he will, or won't.

A friend of mine's son went thru the whole D1 process the last 6 years, and things I've learned from their experiences was eye-opening. Everything - even with the best of kids and the best of coaches - doesn't always end up being a compatible fit. I mentioned CuJo as an example,; by no means does that mean he WILL end up going somewhere.

Point is, even though Archie told all the players "You're my guy" they never had the opportunity to be recruited by him ('cept for a scant couple of days), nor did Archie get the opportunity to recruit them. During that process relationships are formed, you get to see more of what that person is all about.

With 13 guys on scholarship and the unique situation of most of them never having that relationship prior to March, don't you think it's possible that maybe ONE might not find IU w/ Archie the fit that they want after going thru a season with him? I do; I've seen that happen a number of times the past 5 years.

Waiting on your complete report.
ex-girlfriend-meme-0.jpg

And this is why I hate this over-signing crap. We spend the entire year talking about who will transfer.

The fact it doesn't involve players like Priller makes it no better.

Unlike the vast majority of people in the country, I'm not a flaming hypocrite where I blast one person for something then magically thinks it's ok because "my guy" is now doing it.

What's he supposed to do? Cut half the team for as many guys as he's recruiting?

He should have cut any kid he didn't think was a fit.

If he only had 9 kids on the team, so be it. IIRC, he made the Sweet 16 before with only 7 or 8 players.

But even if he hadn't, so what? Unlike most "real fans", I'm not a HE HAS TO WIN RIGHT NOW guy.

Do it right....from the start. If you don't think a kid is a fit, don't invite him back only so you can kick him off a year later. It's a disservice to the kid.

And this is why I hate this over-signing crap. We spend the entire year talking about who will transfer.

The fact it doesn't involve players like Priller makes it no better.

Unlike the vast majority of people in the country, I'm not a flaming hypocrite where I blast one person for something then magically thinks it's ok because "my guy" is now doing it.
Then quit constantly posting about it. Oh, and we're as proud of you, as you are of you. I sure hope that Archie lands these 2 five stars, and I am ok with that.

Reactions: IUgradman
Getting this thread back on topic, today will be the 3rd time TJD has been on campus in a week. When can we expect this forward to commit?

Do it right....from the start. If you don't think a kid is a fit, don't invite him back only so you can kick him off a year later. It's a disservice to the kid.

Without being involved with these players during their HS recruiting just how was Archie supposed to know if they are a good fit. Conversely, how are the players supposed to know?

It takes time. And, again, Archie may know a lot more about what kids on his team are thinking than you or I. He hasn't oversigned or ran a kid off, yet you're equating what he doing recruiting both Garland and Romeo as Creaning.

Again, I'll rip Archie if he's running off kids for his mis-management of the roster. But shouldn't that at least have to happen first?

Without being involved with these players during their HS recruiting just how was Archie supposed to know if they are a good fit. ?

Then why did he kick Gelon off the team?

And if you're gonna tell me, "Well, it's obvious he sucked" then Priller should have been shown the door too.

It's not like Archie has never coached a game before and the players couldn't do some research on him......just like Archie couldn't watch tape of the players and see if they fit his style or not.

And if you're gonna tell me, "Well, it's obvious he sucked" then Priller should have been shown the door too.

It's not like Archie has never coached a game before and the players couldn't do some research on him......just like Archie couldn't watch tape of the players and see if they fit his style or not.
GG was not kicked off. He was told the truth of his future and abilities, and he elected to transfer. I call Hypocracy when I see it, lol.

Reactions: hoosier4life55
GG was not kicked off. He was told the truth of his future and abilities, and he elected to transfer. .

(rolleyes)

Why didn't he do that with the other players? You apologists are whining, "But, but, but.......he didn't have any time to look at tape to see if the players were any good so he HAD to take them all back."

Yet, magically, he knew Gelon wasn't any good?

Why didn't his crystal ball tell him Priller was worthless too?

He actually didn't.

Archie took the time between when he was hired and the end of the semester to evaluate each player. He told Gelon - as honestly as possible - he didn't have the necessary skills to garner any playing time.

Grant asked for his release - in part (from what I've been told) thinking Archie would want him to stay and ask him to stick it out at least a year. IU granted his release and tried to assist him in finding another school, including a couple in the MAC.

Biggest problem for Grant was his mom. If you could buy Grant for his true worth as a player and sell him for what she THINKS he is as a player, you'd make a killing. During the process of Gelon finding another school she not only bad-mouthed Archie and the IU staff but made unrealistic expectations of what her son could do to a number of coaches. It, quite frankly, turned a lot of people off - which is a big reason why he ended up at State Fair.

I've heard this from 3 separate people I really respect from the AAU circuit, who had no dog in the fight. Everyone I've talked to believes Archie handled the situation the best it could have been. If you want to believe our coach is a Creaner, so be it.

(rolleyes)

Why didn't he do that with the other players? You apologists are whining, "But, but, but.......he didn't have any time to look at tape to see if the players were any good so he HAD to take them all back."

Yet, magically, he knew Gelon wasn't any good?

Why didn't his crystal ball tell him Priller was worthless too?
Priller is a senior and a good big for practice...We told GG off for space in 2018, which priller has no part in.

He actually didn't.

Archie took the time between when he was hired and the end of the semester to evaluate each player. He told Gelon - as honestly as possible - he didn't have the necessary skills to garner any playing time.

Grant asked for his release - in part (from what I've been told) thinking Archie would want him to stay and ask him to stick it out at least a year. IU granted his release and tried to assist him in finding another school, including a couple in the MAC.

Biggest problem for Grant was his mom. If you could buy Grant for his true worth as a player and sell him for what she THINKS he is as a player, you'd make a killing. During the process of Gelon finding another school she not only bad-mouthed Archie and the IU staff but made unrealistic expectations of what her son could do to a number of coaches. It, quite frankly, turned a lot of people off - which is a big reason why he ended up at State Fair.

I've heard this from 3 separate people I really respect from the AAU circuit, who had no dog in the fight. Everyone I've talked to believes Archie handled the situation the best it could have been. If you want to believe our coach is a Creaner, so be it.
I think he's at Southeast Missouri State now

He actually didn't.

You guys really need to get your stories straight.

First, I get different stories on why we need 9 forwards on the team and now this.

I keep reading, "Well, he had to invite all the players back because he didn't have any time at all to research them to see if they were good fits for his system or not. So, it's perfectly ok if he kicks them off the team after a year."

Now, you're saying he actually DID evaluate them all (which I believe).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT