ADVERTISEMENT

TJD on Campus Today

IUgradman

All-American
Mar 31, 2009
He sat with Archie and some of the players during the Michigan game and will be back on campus again this weekend for Hoosier Hysteria.

Would be a great get. I'd rather have him than Brooks. TJD reminds me of JJ for some reason.

Last edited:
I'm sure they all have a "different skill set" than the other 9 forwards on the team so that we can actually have just one guard (maybe) and the rest forwards.

I think 8 forwards is how to currently build a team. 5 guards and 8 bigs/swingmen. 5 guards leaves you two deep at both spots with a backup. 8 forwards (and I am counting the traditional center position as a forward given how the modern game is) leaves you 2 deep at each of the three positions with two backups. Bigs tend to foul more and take longer to develop so having more bench room for forwards makes sense.

I think we have been guard heavy at most points after Coach Knight left. The Best point guards want to be on the court for 30 to 35 minutes a game. You do not usually need as much depth at that position.

You don’t like having depth at the 5? Or you still like having one good 5 man followed by guys that can’t play like Crean did?

So, we'll have 3 guys for the center position, none of which are actually centers, but only a couple guys to play guard.

Sounds brilliant to me.

So, we'll have 3 guys for the center position, none of which are actually centers, but only a couple guys to play guard.

Sounds brilliant to me.
Why are they not actually centers? They are 6’8-6’10 and will definatley be able to guard a 5.
Guards in 2019...
Phinnissee Soph,
green Sr,
Cujo sr,
Durham Soph
Smith jr

Plus..Garland possibly and whoever the guards are we add in 19

I know you dont like how Archie is building this roster but I love it. I hated the small ball CTC ran.

Sounds brilliant to me.

Why are they not actually centers? They are 6’8-6’10 and will definatley be able to guard a 5.
Guards in 2019...
Phinnissee Soph,
green Sr,
Cujo sr,
Durham Soph
Smith jr

Plus..Garland possibly and whoever the guards are we add in 19

I know you dont like how Archie is building this roster but I love it. I hated the small ball CTC ran.

Serious question, Vegas - just how many guards do you think we should have?

I think 8 forwards is how to currently build a team. 5 guards and 8 bigs/swingmen. 5 guards leaves you two deep at both spots with a backup. 8 forwards (and I am counting the traditional center position as a forward given how the modern game is) leaves you 2 deep at each of the three positions with two backups. Bigs tend to foul more and take longer to develop so having more bench room for forwards makes sense.

I think we have been guard heavy at most points after Coach Knight left. The Best point guards want to be on the court for 30 to 35 minutes a game. You do not usually need as much depth at that position.
You have two backcourt positions and 3 frontcourt positions. You have 5 players for the 2 backcourt positions for an average of 2.5 players per positions. You have 8 players for 3 frontcourt positions for an average of 2.67 players per position. To me that looks like a pretty balance roster if you ask me. In today's basketball you have very little true back to the basket big men so you really don't have to have 3 or 4 guys 6'9 and bigger.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
Help me out, I don't follow prospects and recruiting as much as some, but who is TJD, type of player, where from and ranking?

And for VegasHoosier: you do understand that forwards actually graduate and/or use up their eligibility, right? As is the case for McSwain (I think), Hartman and Priller this year alone.

Reactions: ndaustin
Help me out, I don't follow prospects and recruiting as much as some, but who is TJD, type of player, where from and ranking?

And for VegasHoosier: you do understand that forwards actually graduate and/or use up their eligibility, right? As is the case for McSwain (I think), Hartman and Priller this year alone.

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Son of Dale Davis, former Pacer's player.

Last edited:
We've been mediocre for 20 years with multiple 3 star recruits in nearly every class. Now we're complaining about 4 star top 50 players? When did we become UK/Duke?
He's also from Greenwood I might add. Archie must be licking his chops with all the interest he has gathered already. He hasn't even coached a game yet!

We're also in good with Watford, Hurt, and Brooks. All forwards.
I think 8 forwards is how to currently build a team. 5 guards and 8 bigs/swingmen. 5 guards leaves you two deep at both spots with a backup. 8 forwards (and I am counting the traditional center position as a forward given how the modern game is) leaves you 2 deep at each of the three positions with two backups. .
dumb .........

I mean, just utterly fking dumb. There's a huge difference between the skill sets and roles of the 8 "forwards" to the point that it would take a brain dead dotard to not recognize they play three different positions.

dumb .........

I mean, just utterly fking dumb. There's a huge difference between the skill sets and roles of the 8 "forwards" to the point that it would take a brain dead dotard to not recognize they play three different positions.

How many different "skill sets" are there for forwards?

20? 30?

dumb .........

Well there you have it. And you heard it here first boys and girls, "BDD" is now its own acronym. (Let history note that it was 'inspired' by LVH and subsequently coined by TMP.) Vex not the lagomorph.

:D

Reactions: IUgradman
You have two backcourt positions and 3 frontcourt positions. You have 5 players for the 2 backcourt positions for an average of 2.5 players per positions. You have 8 players for 3 frontcourt positions for an average of 2.67 players per position. To me that looks like a pretty balance roster if you ask me. In today's basketball you have very little true back to the basket big men so you really don't have to have 3 or 4 guys 6'9 and bigger.

Gotta disagree on the last part. Every year size kills in the tourney. All the way back to IU-Maryland, having endless 6'10+ off the bench is a huge bonus on the biggest stage. Gonzaga learned this and it did gave them the best possible chance. UK, UConn, Duke- all have utilized big and bigger.

I will concur that a 6'10" wing is nice to have as one of those guys though.

Gotta disagree on the last part. Every year size kills in the tourney. All the way back to IU-Maryland, having endless 6'10+ off the bench is a huge bonus on the biggest stage. Gonzaga learned this and it did gave them the best possible chance. UK, UConn, Duke- all have utilized big and bigger.

I will concur that a 6'10" wing is nice to have as one of those guys though.

I agree. Generally, the best teams (top 5ish) have really good size and depth at the 4 and 5 position. It's why I think MSU is the best team this year. They have depth, size, and a special athlete on the wing (You can win a title without great size but you need special athletes who can play the 3 or 4, think Kris Jenkins and Gordon Hayward types).

The fact that Archie is recruiting great size, is what I am most impressed with so far (I know that just blew VegasHoosier's mind).

How many different "skill sets" are there for forwards?

20? 30?
For the 10 millionth time...next year.
Pg: Green jr, phinnissee frosh, Garland frosh(I think we land him)
2: Cujo jr, Durham Soph, green can play both1-2
3: smith Soph Anderson frosh hunter frosh
4-5 morgan Sr, davis Jr , Thompson rsfr, Moore Soph Forrester frosh

This roster gives a lot of different lineup combinations and yes skill sets.

Smith- Troy William like athleticism
Moore- stretch forward. Shooter
Hunter- slasher and shooter
Thompson- banger, thick body
Anderson- scorer and shooter
Forrester- long athletic shot blocker

Reactions: IULouie

You used different words to describe the same exact skill sets. There are basically two, maybe 3.

You guys act like all 9 forwards have completely different skill sets.

Hey Vegas, what if a couple of them are "Point Forwards"? There really is such a thing, google it, seriously. Apparently there are even forwards that play in the post (google "post player" for that one). Rumor has it some forwards play out on the "wing".
Maybe, just maybe, there could be a forward that is capable of playing a "guard position" depending on "matchups". This isn't 1950, a lot of 6'7"+ basketball players can actually dribble, pass and don't shoot free throws underhand. The visual I have of your mind being blown is amazing.

You used different words to describe the same exact skill sets. There are basically two, maybe 3.

You guys act like all 9 forwards have completely different skill sets.
What’s that have to do with anything?
We have Thompson and Forrester and hopefully TJd that will be guys that defend the rim and post.
Anderson is a shooter
Smith is a slasher
Hunter can do both
The three can play together

Not sure why you have an issue with this group. We will add a guard and a pg

For the 10 millionth time...next year.
Pg: Green jr, phinnissee frosh, Garland frosh(I think we land him)
2: Cujo jr, Durham Soph, green can play both1-2
3: smith Soph Anderson frosh hunter frosh
4-5 morgan Sr, davis Jr , Thompson rsfr, Moore Soph Forrester frosh

So you don't think we get Romeo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT