ADVERTISEMENT

Three things...

SouthBendJim

Junior
Dec 19, 2004
1. We now have more wins than all of last season. We can get to the magic 20 mark, but the schedule from here on out is pretty daunting. Wisky and PSU losses may come back to haunt us.

2. We played without our top gun for the last 7 minutes of the game. It wasn't pretty, but we held on and won. JG and TG scored 18 points between them, and a developing bench is a good sign.

3. Still too many turnovers. The announcers said we had six turnovers in a five minute span (or was it 5 in 6 minutes). Only 14 for the game, but we still don't value the ball as much as we should, especially in the second half.

1. We now have more wins than all of last season. We can get to the magic 20 mark, but the schedule from here on out is pretty daunting. Wisky and PSU losses may come back to haunt us.

2. We played without our top gun for the last 7 minutes of the game. It wasn't pretty, but we held on and won. JG and TG scored 18 points between them, and a developing bench is a good sign.

3. Still too many turnovers. The announcers said we had six turnovers in a five minute span (or was it 5 in 6 minutes). Only 14 for the game, but we still don't value the ball as much as we should, especially in the second half.
2..We wouldn't survive against quality team.
Nebraska isnt a quality team.
Yeah still glad we won..But it was afully ugly the last 7 min...
I still think he play's to many guy's .But I might give some of Koop's minutes to J.G.now..

Reactions: F.Fletch
I still think he play's to many guy's .But I might give some of Koop's minutes to J.G.now..

With the transfer portal, I have to wonder if coaches are going a little bit deeper into their benches to get younger players at least some minutes. Otherwise, those guys who will be large contributors as upperclassmen may transfer before they have a chance to develop. Just a thought.

Just curious, which players would you not play? The length of the bench is an interesting topic this year because it seems half the fanbase want to go deeper, playing guys like Leal and Lander (and maybe even Duncomb a little), while others would prefer to shorten it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
With the transfer portal, I have to wonder if coaches are going a little bit deeper into their benches to get younger players at least some minutes. Otherwise, those guys who will be large contributors as upperclassmen may transfer before they have a chance to develop. Just a thought.

Just curious, which players would you not play? The length of the bench is an interesting topic this year because it seems half the fanbase want to go deeper, playing guys like Leal and Lander (and maybe even Duncomb a little), while others would prefer to shorten it.
Good point about transfers.
Leal, Landers, and Duncomb sure do not play much.
Duncomb may feel he will get his chance after TJD and Tace. I am not sure what Leal and Landers may think.

Nebraska isn't a quality team, but can give teams fits - they took OSU to overtime and was tied with Illinois under 4 minutes

I would like to see Leal and Duncomb get some more playing time. Don't think either will transfer...Leal is a Hoosier through and through, Duncomb knows his time will come.

Lander is a mystery to me. If he was as good as his reputation, he should be getting SOME minutes on the floor. Woodson must not see what he wants out of him. I think he transfers at the end of the season for more PT elsewhere.

Reactions: Pryght
Lander looks like a replay of DelRay Brooks back in the day, highly rated out of high school but many deficiencies showed up in college. He was too slow on defense and didn't make up for it on offense, playing time decreased the more apparent that became. I fully expect Lander to transfer and become big fish in a litler pond (Brooks IIRC went o Providence and did ok, but never lived up to HS hype and never had an NBA career.

1. We're definitely better than last year. I'll issue a little disclaimer that our OOC schedule was a lot more difficult last year. And our schedule going forward this year is very difficult. So while we've started much better wins/losses wise, I think the schedule might be contributing a little bit.

2. We looked REALLY bad after TJD left the game. The dribbling with our backs to the basket out top was basically a visual admission that Woodson didn't trust our guys to bring that game home. If Nebraska was as good as Purdue or Wisky, we likely wouldn't have held that lead.

3. We don't have a point guard. We have guys that are being asked to handle the ball more than others. But we don't have a point guard. I've long been a guy that says you don't try to make someone a point guard, that isn't a true point guard. It very seldom works out. But on this team, since we just don't have one. I'd love to see whether Tamar could take on more of that role? Not sure how much longer, or how much more evidence we need that X and Rob are not going to be able to close games for us. Maybe Tamar could?

1. We're definitely better than last year. I'll issue a little disclaimer that our OOC schedule was a lot more difficult last year. And our schedule going forward this year is very difficult. So while we've started much better wins/losses wise, I think the schedule might be contributing a little bit.

2. We looked REALLY bad after TJD left the game. The dribbling with our backs to the basket out top was basically a visual admission that Woodson didn't trust our guys to bring that game home. If Nebraska was as good as Purdue or Wisky, we likely wouldn't have held that lead.

3. We don't have a point guard. We have guys that are being asked to handle the ball more than others. But we don't have a point guard. I've long been a guy that says you don't try to make someone a point guard, that isn't a true point guard. It very seldom works out. But on this team, since we just don't have one. I'd love to see whether Tamar could take on more of that role? Not sure how much longer, or how much more evidence we need that X and Rob are not going to be able to close games for us. Maybe Tamar could?

Regarding 2 - if nebraska was better and had cut into the lead, TJD would have come back in for an offensive spark. I think TJD was out more for foul trouble than the injury. He would have been playing soft on defensive to avoid a foul and had he fouled out with 2 or more minutes left, it would have given emotional momentum to Nebraska. Then down the stretch TJD was held out because he was having an off night from the line and would have been a liability.

We have to have guys step up Jackson cant play 38mins a game. I'm so sick of Xavier and Rob the turnover machines let Bates, Galloway, and Leal play some point guard.

I would like to see Leal and Duncomb get some more playing time. Don't think either will transfer...Leal is a Hoosier through and through, Duncomb knows his time will come.

Lander is a mystery to me. If he was as good as his reputation, he should be getting SOME minutes on the floor. Woodson must not see what he wants out of him. I think he transfers at the end of the season for more PT elsewhere.
Saw a post he’s struggling. Injury for one. He supposedly failed a drug test and isn’t putting in the extra work either. If that’s true I bet he transfers. This is all second hand info though so take it with a grain or two of salt.

We did really try and give it to them. X just is so wild I tell you. Anyway a win is a win and we had to have. The next goal is to win at least two of the next three at home.

How he was a five star is beyond me. I will never get it.

We have not had the players coming from this state like the ''old'' days for years regardless where the go to school. BK was the right man in a time with abundant local talent

Lander was a five star player in HS. He doesn't have the size and strength to compete in the BIG. He is a year away and that is not a guarantee.

He was a 5 star in his original class that enrolled early, and due to the pandemic missed an entire summer and most of the fall getting acclimated to a college weight room. Pair that with an incompetent coach his freshman year that ran zero semblance of a modern day offense, his confidence was shot and he hasn't recovered since.

we have zero idea what Duncomb is like, because we have seen basically zero of him.

obviously CMW likes Durr's defense better, but imo Mike couldn't be using Durr any more wrong on offense than he is.

Mike obviously want's Durr to be something on offense he just isn't, and isn't going to become soon, and isn't going to use Durr offensively to optimize Durr's strengths.

the old the coach wants the player to adapt to being what the coach wants him to be, rather than the coach best utilizing what the player can do best.

neither Durr nor Duncomb are TDJ, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't adapt to utilizing who they are and what they do best.

at some point it's possible we could need Duncomb this yr, and i think Mike should have at least tried to work him in here and there a little.

i'm not the huge RMK fan others here are, and CMW obviously has his own way and isn't an RMK clone as a coach, but one thing i did feel RMK did well was give fr mins, and even some non mop up mins, to see how they actually performed with the bright lights on, and so it wouldn't be a new experience to them when/if they are forced into a situation with a game on the line.

all that said, is the basketball redshirt rule still that a player can't play so much as one min without using up a season of eligibility absent a season ending injury?

even if so, Duncomb/CMW has already burnt that 1 min, so somewhat surprised Duncomb hasn't gotten a little more of a chance than he has.

we have zero idea what Duncomb is like, because we have seen basically zero of him.
What little we have seen of Duncomb: 2/2 from the field and 2/2 from the charity stripe.

You're right, we may need him and I think he should get a little more seasoning.

(Read somewhere that when he went head-to-head with Furst in AAU ball, he dominated.)

Reactions: Crayfish57
Why did we not play a zone, majority of Nebraska points scored
in the paint? Coaching?? No need for that game to be close.

He was a 5 star in his original class that enrolled early, and due to the pandemic missed an entire summer and most of the fall getting acclimated to a college weight room. Pair that with an incompetent coach his freshman year that ran zero semblance of a modern day offense, his confidence was shot and he hasn't recovered since.
Lander scrimmaged with UofL players a few times while in High School, the reason Hes at IU Mack took a hard pass knowing he wasn't a top level D1 player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT