ADVERTISEMENT

Improved play today

rocketo

All-American
Feb 23, 2007
We looked overall much better on offense today. We played some good stretches of D, but we still are losing players on the perimeter which continues to cost us. MR and Ware were unstoppable inside today, and we need them to continue.

MM had a nice game and was overall better in D (could really only go up) and Banks had another solid showing. We are going to need those two to hit some 3’s and TG needs to find his stroke again. His confidence in his shot is toast RN.

I agree on today's performance...Indiana has front line ..If healthy and on the floor.. Out of foul trouble..
Look to be a load for any Big Ten team.
If we could just make 5 -6 three's a game.And keep opposing teams guards from sagging and digging on the ball..

That's why Mgbako and/or Gunn's progress is critical.

I agree on today's performance...Indiana has front line ..If healthy and on the floor.. Out of foul trouble..
Look to be a load for any Big Ten team.
If we could just make 5 -6 three's a game.And keep opposing teams guards from sagging and digging on the ball..
We would have had a few more threes tonight except for toe on the line. It's improving, maybe?

I think reminding myself that this team is going to be frustrating to watch…and that we have multiple players playing out of their comfort zones…is probably something I need to regularly do.

And then look for improvements as the season progresses. I’m focusing a lot on how poor our perimeter defense is, it’s a hot button for me. And I’m sure that’s causing me to miss other important improvements.

Mack played better today. Looked different. If he had looked like this in game 1, I think the questions on his ratings would be limited.

Kelel, as good as he’s been, is improving. His position defensively, and on the boards is getting better, namely.

Kaleb continues to show signs of solid play. Which, if that continues, will be a good sign of improved consistency.

I think the ship has sailed, this year, for Woody to open things up and play more outside/in, offensively. I wish he had forced that more this year. But I think if he had, we may have more than 1 loss… I just think our style markedly changing, this year, was more important than a few more wins. But again, obviously not going to happen. And even less likely if X is out for any extended time.

Back to my hot button…it remains a huge concern to me. There have been signs of improvements the last 3 games. But man, there’s still some really crappy stretches too. I think having a solid perimeter defense, in this day and age, is probably the single most important thing a coach could work on. But maybe Woody has different thoughts on that…and doesn’t feel the need to focus on it as much?? I actually hope that’s true, because if he is focusing on it…well, that means he’s not great at teaching/coaching it.

All in all, we are getting better. We’ll find out in the next 4 games where that puts us against elite competition.

Really saw a lot more of the lobs to Ware this game, thought we’d see that earlier this year but it’s starting to come and looks unstoppable. Nice to see a big step out and hit 3 once in awhile and loved the ball fake. Somewhere in my mind I can hear the Hansen trips “old school b-ball!” (Hey, it’s my mind, I can hear what I want!) thought it was best game of year even with the injuries

Maryland will be tougher than Harvard but their offense pretty much sucks and at home so should be a win.

Anyone know why Gunn didn't get in in the second half? Someone on Assembly Call mentioned his hand was wrapped on the bench in the second half? I thought I'd like to see him on Mack since I think he's our best perimeter defender and had fouls to give.

Reactions: Willdog7
Anyone know why Gunn didn't get in in the second half? Someone on Assembly Call mentioned his hand was wrapped on the bench in the second half? I thought I'd like to see him on Mack since I think he's our best perimeter defender and had fouls to give.
No idea about Gunn. We did learn that Gabe could not come close to guarding him, and fouled him three times while shooting? Some dude actually said he didn't want X, and would play Gabe over him, our fans are dumb as dirt.

No idea about Gunn. We did learn that Gabe could not come close to guarding him, and fouled him three times while shooting? Some dude actually said he didn't want X, and would play Gabe over him, our fans are dumb as dirt.
I thought a couple of those calls for him were BS honestly. He just went up on his threes with his legs flailing around, and I thought Hummel saw what he wanted to see. He commented before seeing the replay that Gabe had to give him room to land and on the replay I didn't think he was underneath him or impeding his landing at all.

I heard the announcers say someone had their right hand wrapped but I couldn't hear the player's name nor could I find them on the few bench tv shots. A hand injury though would explain why he didn't play.

I thought a couple of those calls for him were BS honestly. He just went up on his threes with his legs flailing around, and I thought Hummel saw what he wanted to see. He commented before seeing the replay that Gabe had to give him room to land and on the replay I didn't think he was underneath him or impeding his landing at all.
One of them was questionable. The other two were obvious fouls. Those plays weren't the concern though, Cupps was right with Mack on those plays, just was over zealeous... it was the couple times Mack blew by Cupps with straight line drives that bothered me...and then at least 2 times he didn't communicate will on ball screens and missed switches, which gave up open looks that led to 1 make and 1 offensive rebound from guys scrambling from his mistake. Cupps can't make mistakes like that.

The offense had more flow in the 2nd half, with Cupps and Galloway running the offense initially. Quite obviously we need X. He's our best perimeter defender. And he's one of the few guys that's capable of making scoring plays from the perimeter. But there are benefits to having Cupps and Galloway starting the offense versus X. Probably one of the reasons Woody has Cupps bring the ball up most of the time that X and he are on the floor together.

We looked overall much better on offense today. We played some good stretches of D, but we still are losing players on the perimeter which continues to cost us. MR and Ware were unstoppable inside today, and we need them to continue.

MM had a nice game and was overall better in D (could really only go up) and Banks had another solid showing. We are going to need those two to hit some 3’s and TG needs to find his stroke again. His confidence in his shot is toast RN.
Woodson finally used his advantage. Front court play. Galloway needs glasses or contacts.Kinda same with Cupps. Neither touched iron on long shots. IU has always been about great shooter,sorely missing on Woody's teams.

Ref had the whistle ready everytime the kid touched the ball. I hate refs like that. The predetermine the foul before any happens,if they do at all.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Galloway needs glasses or contacts.Kinda same with Cupps. Neither touched iron on long shots.
To be fair Galloway also airballed a 8 footer in the lane. 3 total yesterday I believe.

Good news is, even tho Mack airmailed a three, he also didn't hit rim in a good way on multiple shots.

To be fair Galloway also airballed a 8 footer in the lane. 3 total yesterday I believe.

Good news is, even tho Mack airmailed a three, he also didn't hit rim in a good way on multiple shots.
Yeah, Galloway looks really lost to me offensively. I know he had 5 assists yesterday, but he seems uncertain on drives whether to shoot or pass and is holding the ball too long or missing shots because he's not made up his mind to take it strong. One of his assists was a bad pass to MM from about 3', again, because he held it too long, but MM was still able to corral it and make the bucket. Just seems like he gets into his drive and his then deciding to pass or shoot. Between his little floater and getting to the basket I've always liked him driving but just seems indecisive to me.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Yeah, Galloway looks really lost to me offensively. I know he had 5 assists yesterday, but he seems uncertain on drives whether to shoot or pass and is holding the ball too long or missing shots because he's not made up his mind to take it strong. One of his assists was a bad pass to MM from about 3', again, because he held it too long, but MM was still able to corral it and make the bucket. Just seems like he gets into his drive and his then deciding to pass or shoot. Between his little floater and getting to the basket I've always liked him driving but just seems indecisive to me.
Mostly agree, though TG did seem to get more focused the 2nd half with no X. Bet that's when he got most of his assists.

His strength on offense is his decision-making and right now he's second-guessing himself.

They both got called for it and I didn't think either one impeded his landing. There was contact, but it's just because he was pulling up while moving and his legs flailed around. Reggie Miller would've been proud!
He kicked out his leg as part of his regular shot motion, though, so the defender isn't going to get that call. Woodson seemed to accept the ref's explanation.

Cupps is shooting 27% from the field and has 12 total points for 108 minutes played so .11 pts/min. He has .065 TOs/min

Galloway is shooting 44% from the field and 52 pts for 199 minutes played so .26 pts/min. He has .083 TOs/min

X is shooting 49% from the field and has 63 pts in 149 minutes so .42 pts/min. He has .067 TOS/min

X is by far the best statistical performer in the backcourt.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Cupps is shooting 27% from the field and has 112 total points for 108 minutes played so .11 pts/min. He has .065 TOs/min

Galloway is shooting 44% from the field and 52 pts for 199 minutes played so .26 pts/min. He has .083 TOs/min

X is shooting 49% from the field and has 63 pts in 149 minutes so .42 pts/min. He has .067 TOS/min

X is by far the best statistical performer in the backcourt.
Unfortunately, he is not 100%, I hope he is healthy by KU. We shall see what Trey and Gabe do…

Reactions: CriticArisen
Has there been an official report on X's leg/foot? Not having him Friday makes a very winnable game, much more difficult.
Woodson didn’t say anything on the radio show. I am sure IU will not be making any statements on it. Get ready for a much more difficult game tho…

Reactions: kkott
His strength on offense is his decision-making
ya think? I've never thought he was decisive and often thought he could score more if he'd be more aggressive going to the basket and looking for his shot. I don't ever remember him struggling with making good passes like he has this year though.

ya think? I've never thought he was decisive and often thought he could score more if he'd be more aggressive going to the basket and looking for his shot. I don't ever remember him struggling with making good passes like he has this year though.
He is passing with 0 confidence. Thinking way too much.

Woodson didn’t say anything on the radio show. I am sure IU will not be making any statements on it. Get ready for a much more difficult game tho…
Cool... Gabe guarding Jahmir Young... hmmm... I like Gabe, but that's a tough one.

I guess we switch a lot of stuff, and Trey can guard him... but this just increases the chances of Young going off on us. Which was/is an obvious way we could struggle against them.

Cool... Gabe guarding Jahmir Young... hmmm... I like Gabe, but that's a tough one.

I guess we switch a lot of stuff, and Trey can guard him... but this just increases the chances of Young going off on us. Which was/is an obvious way we could struggle against them.
If Gunn isn't injured I'd try him too. I like his D the best of that group if he doesn't foul. How big is Young: 6'2"ish?

Need Gunn to come on for us to be worth a shit. Like you said he can play D, just start hitting shots.
That's what I thought was weird vs Harvard. He actually finally made a jumper (looked like a 3, but they called it a 2) and then never came back. Think he only got 3 minutes, which is why I thought he might be injured.

He is passing with 0 confidence. Thinking way too much.
Both he and X are being more aggressive driving into the lane. TG wouldn't put himself into that kind of traffic in the past.

The upside is they're going to the line at a high rate (more of an upside for X than Trey). We're 2nd nationally in points off free throws. That's not a bad thing.

That's what I thought was weird vs Harvard. He actually finally made a jumper (looked like a 3, but they called it a 2) and then never came back. Think he only got 3 minutes, which is why I thought he might be injured.
some have suggested an injury.
im thinkng its a dog house issue but dont know why.

some have suggested an injury.
im thinkng its a dog house issue but dont know why.
I couldn't hear who the announcers were talking about at the time but they said "he", maybe Gunn, had his right hand wrapped due to an injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT