ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on recruiting....

In a span from 1993-1998 (6 classes) the state of Indiana only produced 2 McDonald's AA's and IU landed both of them. Interestingly, the state of Indiana only produced 10 Top 75 rated players during those 6 classes.

Knight landed 2 of 10 Top 75 players from Indiana (1993-1998)
Crean landed 5 of 20 Top 75 players from Indiana (2011-2016)
*Edited to include Perea who RSCI has from Alabama

Knight landed 2 of 2 McD AA's from Indiana (1993-1998)
Crean landed 3 of 11 McD AA's from Indiana (2011-2016)

As can be seen, the state of Indiana was in a bit of a drought which corresponded with some down times for Knight. Down times for Knight were far better than down times for most.
this is the reason why coaches should have a wider recruiting base and not rely on one area. When the talent is not there for a couple of years it will hurt your team if you can't go out of that area to get the talent. You don't see other top teams just relying on a certain area of the country to get recruits and they do just fine.

Would you be happier if Indiana were ranked worse than 8th in the "way-to-early" poll?

I have big news for you, Coach Crean is there for as long as he wants to be and he is going to get paid a lot of money. The alumni, season ticket holders, AD, trustees, and president are all on his side. You might want to hop on the bandwagon or, in the alternative, go be for Purdue or Kentucky or some or some other team.

I came to the realization last year that as long as Glass is around Crean will never get fired. The president and glass simply do not have the same type of expectations that a Kentucky or Duke have. That is very apparent or crean would have been fired before last year. Fred can come out to calm the masses by saying he wants championships but you better believe if we finish top 3 in the conference and go to the sweet 16 he is ecstatic. If that happens this year crean will get a lengthy extension probably in the 6-8 year range and a hefty raise.

Our only hope as fans is crean gets lucky one time and makes a final four run. It would probably be a one time imo and well possible is not likely.

Yes they would.

So I guess we won't have to worry about defense at all for next year?

Since you know that they would have improved last year if JBJ got hurt or not.....

Well.....we got that going for us....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-wildcats-college-basketball-top-25-2016-2017

Not sure to what you are referring with regard to links. Above is the link where Indiana is ranked 8th going into next year. I am an alumnus and season ticket holder and I am on his side. I can link to my email address so you can ask me if that is true. With regard to the AD, trustees, and president, I can assure you that they are not firing him any time soon, but I am not sure where to point you in terms of a link.

Don't confuse them with facts.

They won't understand - or insist they don't matter because they're not pace-adjusted . . .

Kenpom's efficiency stats are pace adjusted, so your silly little insult doesn't even make sense...

I presume it was aimed at me, although I never insisted they don't matter. I just said they aren't the best stats to use. Rebounds per game, for example, isn't as helpful as rebounding percentage.

I came to the realization last year that as long as Glass is around Crean will never get fired. The president and glass simply do not have the same type of expectations that a Kentucky or Duke have. That is very apparent or crean would have been fired before last year. Fred can come out to calm the masses by saying he wants championships but you better believe if we finish top 3 in the conference and go to the sweet 16 he is ecstatic. If that happens this year crean will get a lengthy extension probably in the 6-8 year range and a hefty raise.

Our only hope as fans is crean gets lucky one time and makes a final four run. It would probably be a one time imo and well possible is not likely.

I agree. I would love to be Kentucky or Duke. Whom should we get to take us there? Archie Miller of the mighty Dayton Flyers? I am all ears...let's hear it!

I agree. I would love to be Kentucky or Duke. Whom should we get to take us there? Archie Miller of the mighty Dayton Flyers? I am all ears...let's hear it!
I love these posts..you ask for names knowing that if it's a big name you will say that they wouldn't come here, even though you have no idea if that is true...and if it's an up and coming coach you will say they aren't good....it's a beaten to death premise on this board

Reactions: russelltodd
I love these posts..you ask for names knowing that if it's a big name you will say that they wouldn't come here, even though you have no idea if that is true...and if it's an up and coming coach you will say they aren't good....it's a beaten to death premise on this board

I am just curious. How is it beaten to death if no one can answer it?

Hypo: You are the AD and Tom Crean gets hit by a bus tonight. What person can I expect to be roaming the sidelines in Bloomington next November that will make Indiana better?

We
What changed? Not generalities, but bonafide specific things? The offensive style? No. The unwillingness to play team defense? No. There was no philosophical change from Crean. He lost his most coveted, one dimensional offensive player and found himself relying far more than he wanted to on a scoring point guard and two lightly recruited baseliners who didn't fit his preferred style of play. Amazingly, things became simpler because his complex approach wouldn't work with newbies and, ta da, they beat some decent teams. But the Big Ten schedule fell into place and others stumbled and they won. Of course, the conference tournament showed the shortcomings were still there, and they topped out once they hit the S16. The philosophical evolution you believe occurred was vapor.
shall see. I think you fail to give Crean enough credit.

Hypo: You are the AD and Tom Crean gets hit by a bus tonight. What person can I expect to be roaming the sidelines in Bloomington next November that will make Indiana better?
It's beaten to death because it's been answered many times and the replies are always the same
Big name coaches wouldn't come here
Up and coming coaches all suck compared to TC, watch

First call is of course to Stevens after he says no
Marshall
Mack
TBennett
Kruger

Pick any of them and instant upgrade

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
It's beaten to death because it's been answered many times and the replies are always the same

Marshall
Mack
TBennett
Kruger

I like Marshall and Mack but T. Bennett already turned us down once. Krueger was rumored to be our coach right before Crean was hired but he is probably getting to old for me.

I like Marshall and Mack but T. Bennett already turned us down once. Krueger was rumored to be our coach right before Crean was hired but he is probably getting to old for me.
Too old for you? Are you looking for a date?

Bennet turned down the AD that fired his sister

Link? Or are you just making stuff up?

I don't have a link. I am a season ticket holder and alumnus and I like him. You can email me and I will confirm that if that would substitute as a link for you. I think it is evident that the AD, trustees, and president like him since they continue to raise his salary and do not fire him. I guess I could provide you a link to show that he is Indiana's coach that would confirm all of that.

I just think when you hire a new coach you want one that you think will be around for the long term and not have to replace him in a few years.
I get the best coach possible, I don't take a lesser coach simply because he will be here longer. If he's not as good, you'll probably be looking for a new coach in a few years anyway

Last edited:
I don't have a link. I am a season ticket holder and alumnus and I like him. You can email me and I will confirm that if that would substitute as a link for you. I think it is evident that the AD, trustees, and president like him since they continue to raise his salary and do not fire him. I guess I could provide you a link to show that he is Indiana's coach that would confirm all of that.
Oh so you read minds? Can I call you Nostradumass?

Marshall
Mack
TBennett
Kruger

Yes...let's get Marshall. They were 26-9 last year and lost to Illinois State and Northern Iowa twice. Fun times!

Yes...let's get Marshall. They were 26-9 last year and lost to Illinois State and Northern Iowa twice. Fun times!
See, you did exactly what I said you'd do...you asked a question knowing full well you were going to crap on whatever names were given...so predictable

But since you brought up his losses, do you recall a certain win he had in the 2015 NCAAT?

Last edited:
These types of posts make me sad. I love Indiana as much, if not more than, the next guy but I want to be neither Kentucky nor Duke. I want IU to be IU.

I didn't mean to sadden you. I could not agree more. I simply meant in terms of winning records over the last two decades I am a little envious of those two programs. I will take Coach Crean and Coach Wilson all day and go with the flow.

I love the status quo in terms of personnel and I am lucky because nothing is changing for the foreseeable future in either sport. Go Hoosiers!

I didn't mean to sadden you. I could not agree more. I simply meant in terms of winning records over the last two decades I am a little envious of those two programs. I will take Coach Crean and Coach Wilson all day and go with the flow.

I love the status quo in terms of personnel and I am lucky because nothing is changing for the foreseeable future in either sport. Go Hoosiers!
I agree nothing is changing, and that's the problem

Last edited:
Reactions: russelltodd
See, you did exactly what I said you'd do...you asked a question knowing full well you were going to crap on whatever names were given...so predictable

But since you brought up his losses, do you recall a certain win he had in the 2015 NCAAT?

Go get him I guess.

It just seems strange to fire the reigning Big 10 coach of the year. How do you address that in the exit interview?

"Well reigning Big 10 coach of the year, thank you for soundly winning the conference last year and we appreciate that you have us picked to win the conference next year and that you have us ranked 8th in the country, but we need to let you go in favor of the Wichita State coach that went 26-9 last year."

"Thanks also for the 22nd best recruiting class in the country, but WSU's coach was able to round up the 68th best class so we are going to head in that direction."

Whose driving the bus?

I agree nothing us changing, and that's the problem

I am not sure what you want. He was Big 10 coach of the year, soundly crushed the rest of the Big 10, and has Indiana ranked, arguably, 8th in the pre-season polls heading into next year? They are seemingly loaded and I would think the favorites to win the Big 10.

Is all of that bad? I don't get it. Maybe Archie Miller could help.

Go get him I guess.

It just seems strange to fire the reigning Big 10 coach of the year. How do you address that in the exit interview?

"Well reigning Big 10 coach of the year, thank you for soundly winning the conference last year and we appreciate that you have us picked to win the conference next year and that you have us ranked 8th in the country, but we need to let you go in favor of the Wichita State coach that went 26-9 last year."

"Thanks also for the 22nd best recruiting class in the country, but WSU's coach was able to round up the 68th best class so we are going to head in that direction."
I didnt say, fire TC, you asked a hypothetical question...do you remember that? I answered your question

LOL .............

Is that too violent for you? How would you characterize it? They won the conference by multiple games and it wasn't really that close? I will go along with that. Rephrased below:

They won the conference by multiple games and it wasn't really that close.

I am not sure what you want. He was Big 10 coach of the year, soundly crushed the rest of the Big 10, and has Indiana ranked, arguably, 8th in the pre-season polls heading into next year? They are seemingly loaded and I would think the favorites to win the Big 10.

Is all of that bad? I don't get it. Maybe Archie Miller could help.
I want consistency.

I want to be Top four virtually every year, top two most years, and occasionally first in conference

I want smarter scheduling

I want to play UK and I don't care where

I want top 20 offenses AND defenses

I want sweet 16s to be an expectation and not the high point

I want top ten recruiting classes

I want recruiting to start in Indiana and work outwards

I want an off season without an arrest to be the norm

Last edited:
I want consistency.

I want to be Top four virtually every year, top two most years, and occasionally first in conference

I want smarter scheduling

I want to play UK and I don't care where

I want top 20 offenses AND defenses

I want sweet 16s to be an expectation and not the high point

I want top ten recruiting classes

I want recruiting to start in Indiana and work outwards

I want an off season without an arrest to be the norm

They have won the Big 10 twice outright in the last 4 years. That seems somewhat consistent. He is the reigning coach of the year. Smarter scheduling? They are playing Kansas at Pearl Harbor, Butler at Banker's Life, Carolina in Bloomington, and Louisville at Banker's Life. Do you want a less demanding schedule? I am not sure I understand. Sweet 16s? They just did that. Check out Knight's last seven years in Bloomington. The recruiting class is ranked 22nd and I would consider them loaded. I will never get the Indiana recruiting thing. Why? Kentucky seems to do ok without Indiana kids. Anyway...we can disagree. Have a good rest of your day.

They have won the Big 10 twice outright in the last 4 years. That seems somewhat consistent. He is the reigning coach of the year. Smarter scheduling? They are playing Kansas at Pearl Harbor, Butler at Banker's Life, Carolina in Bloomington, and Louisville at Banker's Life. Do you want a less demanding schedule? I am not sure I understand. Sweet 16s? They just did that. Check out Knight's last seven years in Bloomington. The recruiting class is ranked 22nd and I would consider them loaded. I will never get the Indiana recruiting thing. Why? Kentucky seems to do ok without Indiana kids. Anyway...we can disagree. Have a good rest of your day.
Now let's look at what I actually said

I said I want consistency, not a cherry picked version of "somewhat consistent"
IU/TC 11th/5th/1st/9th/7th/1st...no matter how you cherry pick the years, that isn't consistent

I said Smarter scheduling,
Teams ranked over 200 off the schedule replaced with under 200. Preferably Indy schools

I said I want Sweet 16s to not be the high point, and it is the high point

I said I want top ten classes, you reply with we are loaded with the 22nd class...huh?

I want local players because I've always enjoyed following those guys through HS to IU. It gives IU a special connection to Indiana. Just like with football players in Ohio/OSU, and Texas/UT
(Note: I didn't say to only recruit Indy kids)

Yes TCs good years are very similar to RMKs downcycle years, that we can agree on

Last edited:
Now let's look at what I actually said

I said I want consistency, not a cherry picked version of "somewhat consistent"
IU/TC 11th/5th/1st/9th/7th/1st...no matter how you cherry pick the years, that isn't consistent

I said Smarter scheduling,
Teams ranked over 200 off the schedule replaced with under 200. Preferably Indy schools

I said I want Sweet 16s to not be the high point, and it is the high point

I said I want top ten classes, you reply with we are loaded with the 22nd class...huh?

I want local players because I've always enjoyed following those guys through HS to IU. It gives IU a special connection to Indiana. Just like with football players in Ohio/OSU, and Texas/UT
(Note: I didn't say to only recruit Indy kids)

Yes TCs good years are very similar to RMKs downcycle years, that we can agree on
Good post and nothing really to complain about EXCEPT, and I think I pointed this out before (but maybe it was to someone else), you gotta stop referring to anything IU/Indiana as Indy. The only thing referred to as Indy in Indiana is Indianapolis. No one from Indiana refers to Indiana as Indy, and no one living in Indiana refers to Indiana as Indy. It's pure laziness and actually a bit of a slight.

Now that that's out of the way, good passionate post otherwise.

Good post and nothing really to complain about EXCEPT, and I think I pointed this out before (but maybe it was to someone else), you gotta stop referring to anything IU/Indiana as Indy. The only thing referred to as Indy in Indiana is Indianapolis. No one from Indiana refers to Indiana as Indy, and no one living in Indiana refers to Indiana as Indy. It's pure laziness and actually a bit of a slight.

Now that that's out of the way, good passionate post otherwise.

Cool story bro

Kenpom's efficiency stats are pace adjusted, so your silly little insult doesn't even make sense...

I presume it was aimed at me, although I never insisted they don't matter. I just said they aren't the best stats to use. Rebounds per game, for example, isn't as helpful as rebounding percentage.
Depends on what you're trying to gauge - efficiency of a player or comparing styles of play.

Teams that want to play fast - like IU, UNC and UK - will have stats that likely will seem skewered from teams like Michigan St, Duke, etc . . . simply because a given style presents more opportunities. But compared side-by-side, they can indicate how well a program is able to execute a system against the results of teams playing a similar style.

Is that too violent for you? How would you characterize it? They won the conference by multiple games and it wasn't really that close? I will go along with that. Rephrased below:

They won the conference by multiple games and it wasn't really that close.
Hey one conference any year it was rated the fifth best in the nation . And then got their butt handed to them by Michigan in the conference tournament.

Am I glad that they won the regular-season championship? Yes - but to claim that as a great accomplishment is a stretch.

How many were from Indiana, Illinois and Ohio?

And in 1994 and 1995, which players from Indiana should have Knight targeted instead of the ones you show?
In post 222, you mentioned recruiting from Indiana. Are you now expanding your critique to recruiting from other states?

OK if you do, but it'll confuse what you're saying.

In post 222, you mentioned recruiting from Indiana. Are you now expanding your critique to recruiting from other states?

OK if you do, but it'll confuse what you're saying.
In post 222 He said Crean can't recruit Indiana well, and the post you quoted was discussing RMK...I'm confused?

In post 222 He said Crean can't recruit Indiana well, and the post you quoted was discussing RMK...I'm confused?
I can't tell what he's saying in the various posts. That's why I asked him. Give him time and he'll probably explain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT