ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts about whether Trace will return next year?

I think had this game been closer, he might have given the old “unfinished business” thought process some consideration. I think this game deflated him and he’s done with his IU career and wish him the best at the next level.

I think had this game been closer, he might have given the old “unfinished business” thought process some consideration. I think this game deflated him and he’s done with his IU career and wish him the best at the next level.

He could leave but love your douche-tinged unknowable explanation for his reasoning. Top notch.

good call. You think he made his decision when SMC went up by 25ish or literally right after the game as he walked to the locker room? Also, how dumb are you?
Not quite as dumb as you. Now proceed with your usual victim mentality excuses about plane trips and why IU was put at a disadvantage in this game by forces outside its control. We got beat by a much better team with much better personnel. Figure it out.

If we had a good NIL program he’d be back because he could make more here then 2nd round NBA guarantee…but we don’t. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: 6th&Dunn
Not quite as dumb as you. Now proceed with your usual victim mentality excuses about plane trips and why IU was put at a disadvantage in this game by forces outside its control. We got beat by a much better team with much better personnel. Figure it out.

what are you talking about? You said TJD had made his decision based on the the score, which was just a really dumb thing to say. But good luck with your war on imaginary 🦄s and 🌈s , Big Buff!

He probably needs another year to be a first round pick.
I agree but I think it's unlikely...

If he came back and played with the grit he showed in the Big Ten Tournament all season long I think he'd have a solid shot at going in the First Round of the 2023 Draft but... he probably thinks he earned that this year (and will be disappointed when he goes lower 2nd)... This last game is going to stick in a lot of GM's minds and he sure didn't show any First Round chops tonight...

If Woody talked him into it this year, I'd hope he could do it again. Appreciate all he did for us but there is zero chance he's ending up in the NBA anytime soon. If TJD doesn't recognize his areas needed for growth, then he needs to go.

Outside of money and maybe risk of injury (he's going to make money any way about it) I really wonder what's in it for going to a G League team? If you need development, why play in front of ~2500 fans instead of 14K? You have about a 45% chance to make it to an NBA roster from the G League (with his developmental areas, he's not in that 45% anytime soon IMO).

Next year he will be more explosive, quicker and stronger. He still has not established a mid-range game. His basketball IQ will continue to improve. He will be more mature. He will be less prone to say things like we feel we can beat anyone and then go out and lay the biggest tournament turd in school history.

And the there is that thing about going to school for an education and this being some of the best years of one's life...

He might want to consider another year.

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
I can’t see TJD in the NBA! He does not have the size/skills combination to make it, and I am not sure another year in college will help.
He got totally outplayed by Tass & Ike showed he lack of defensive ability in the post.
He can make a great living in Euroe

Next year he will be more explosive, quicker and stronger. He still has not established a mid-range game. His basketball IQ will continue to improve. He will be more mature. He will be less prone to say things like we feel we can beat anyone and then go out and lay the biggest tournament turd on school history.

And the there is that thing about going to school for an education and this tome being some of the best years of one's life...

He might want to consider another year.
while I love the optimism...I think you could find this exact same post on this board roughly 12 months ago. And yet, here we are.

Reactions: kkott
Totally gone, this is a weak draft year and I still don't think he'll be drafted, but now is his shot for a spot in G-League
Bracey Wright syndrome...the longer you stay, the less likely you'll ever get drafted...and your numbers have stagnated since your good frosh yr. G league or Europe awaits you.

I honestly hope the kid figures out a way to make the NBA and signs the fattest check and proves us all wrong. I really do. But he cannot shoot outside of 8 feet. He doesn't even look for that shot. He's a vastly undersized 5 wanting to play in a league where 7 footers can drain it for 24 feet.

He has been a terrific college player. Explosive , athletic and physical. Excellent rebounder and NBA level spin move. Runs the floor well for his size and has strong moves around the basket. Above average to excellent shot blocker at the 4 and plays hard defense. Dunks with authority, i.e.. finishes strong inside.

Got to be a team that takes him 2nd round and I think that will work for him.

17 pts, 8 rebounds, 2 blks a game over 3 years.... anyone have anything positive to say? Let's see you score 1600 points in the Big Ten.

what are you talking about? You said TJD had made his decision based on the the score, which was just a really dumb thing to say. But good luck with your war on imaginary 🦄s and 🌈s , Big Buff!
I never said anything of the sort that this was the sole reason he would not return. You go through two coaches in your college career, you were on the fence to return this year, you have some ups and many more downs at IU and your last game of the season is an epic, woodshed beat-down. I consider it a punctuation mark on the process for him. I think he’s had enough and ready to move on. No way was this game the sole factor on a future decision but it was a culmination of sorts for him and I think it does play some small part in what’s going through his mind.
Now, you have all off-season to get your cheerleader outfit ready at the dry cleaners for ‘22-23. Looking forward to your proclamations of Final Fours and a Big Ten Chsmpionship in November, bub.

I never said anything of the sort that this was the sole reason he would not return. You go through two coaches in your college career, you were on the fence to return this year, you have some ups and many more downs at IU and your last game of the season is an epic, woodshed beat-down. I consider it a punctuation mark on the process for him. I think he’s had enough and ready to move on. No way was this game the sole factor on a future decision but it was a culmination of sorts for him and I think it does play some small part in what’s going through his mind.
Now, you have all off-season to get your cheerleader outfit ready at the dry cleaners for ‘22-23. Looking forward to your proclamations of Final Fours and a Big Ten Chsmpionship in November, bub.
Just remember at the end of the day, everyone still thinks you are a fool and your opinions mean nothing.

Woody was asked about this (I saw him respond on Tv, I think it was after our home victory over WY).

He said he advised him to come back for this year because he wasn’t ready for the NBA.

the announcer asked him if he was ready now and he said “Yes”.

Imho, he’s gone due to his strong finish to the season (not last night, but in front of the NBA scouts during the BTT especially). His performance against future NBA players was notable in that tourney.

If we had a good NIL program he’d be back because he could make more here then 2nd round NBA guarantee…but we don’t. 🤷🏼‍♂️
IU is a laughing stock athletically now. Watch the fans slowly turn against Woodson, Matta, and Fife without pointing their knives at those who truly deserves it: IU's AD.

Reactions: fall city
I think he'll most likely go. However, and it's just my opinion obviously, I think he should come back and it has nothing to do with making himself more attractive to NBA scouts.

Only the very greatest of all time make their basketball legacy as a pro. Trayce is going to make a lot of money playing basketball, but the only time he's ever going to be the centerpiece, or even a key cog on a potentially great team is in college.

I don't know how important that is to kids these days or Trayce as an individual, but I know it would be important to me. In the case of Cody and Vic, they had the opportunity to be high lottery picks after winning a Big 10 Title in maybe the toughest conference season of all time. They had been #1 half the season and brought IU back from the ashes.

Trayce has yet to crack the AP Top 25! If I were him, I would look for another school to go make my run before I would go pro and that's a crap idea, but it's better than ending his career now. Once he goes pro, he's basically going off to work in anonymity. The pay will be great, but the best part of his basketball life will be over.

I get that very few, if any will agree with any of what I've said, but 20 years from now Trayce Jackson Davis will.

Bracey Wright syndrome...the longer you stay, the less likely you'll ever get drafted...and your numbers have stagnated since your good frosh yr. G league or Europe awaits you.

I honestly hope the kid figures out a way to make the NBA and signs the fattest check and proves us all wrong. I really do. But he cannot shoot outside of 8 feet. He doesn't even look for that shot. He's a vastly undersized 5 wanting to play in a league where 7 footers can drain it for 24 feet.
I don't know, I am confident the NBA will find a place for him and when it's his full time job, I think he can at least develop a mid-range. Cody has carved out a living and never liked to take a jump shot and Trayce is not really undersized for NBA 5s now. As long as he can defend comfortably out on the floor, I think he'll collect an NBA paycheck for many years to come.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Agreed. The Al Durham model. Get out of the wrestling match grind of the B10, go somewhere else and be a centerpiece on a winning team.
Justin Smith too. Don't get me wrong though. His best legacy, which would elevate him to legendary status, is to finish at the top here at IU. I would say "Coach, tell me how we are going to be a great team next year", and if I don't buy the answer, then I call Chris Beard... or something like that.

I think he'll most likely go. However, and it's just my opinion obviously, I think he should come back and it has nothing to do with making himself more attractive to NBA scouts.

Only the very greatest of all time make their basketball legacy as a pro. Trayce is going to make a lot of money playing basketball, but the only time he's ever going to be the centerpiece, or even a key cog on a potentially great team is in college.

I don't know how important that is to kids these days or Trayce as an individual, but I know it would be important to me. In the case of Cody and Vic, they had the opportunity to be high lottery picks after winning a Big 10 Title in maybe the toughest conference season of all time. They had been #1 half the season and brought IU back from the ashes.

Trayce has yet to crack the AP Top 25! If I were him, I would look for another school to go make my run before I would go pro and that's a crap idea, but it's better than ending his career now. Once he goes pro, he's basically going off to work in anonymity. The pay will be great, but the best part of his basketball life will be over.

I get that very few, if any will agree with any of what I've said, but 20 years from now Trayce Jackson Davis will.
I know the IU program is very important to Trayce, as is the state of Indiana. I have never doubted that. Having said that, I don't believe many kids spend much time pondering their individual "legacy" at a program. I don't think that would play any part in his decision to go or stay. Truthfully, any chance of Trayce coming back likely hinges on developing his right hand finish and a jump shot along with helping Woodson turn the ship around.

Justin Smith too. Don't get me wrong though. His best legacy, which would elevate him to legendary status, is to finish at the top here at IU. I would say "Coach, tell me how we are going to be a great team next year", and if I don't buy the answer, then I call Chris Beard... or something like that.
Not crazy about the IU legend narrative. I’ve seen that posted a lot here: player X can go to generic university and be just another player, or play for IU and be a legend for the state of Indiana. It all sounds great, but it’s really not the case.

Not crazy about the IU legend narrative. I’ve seen that posted a lot here: player X can go to generic university and be just another player, or play for IU and be a legend for the state of Indiana. It all sounds great, but it’s really not the case.
I think you mistook my meaning. If, for sake of discussion, he comes back and IU puts it all together next year and has a great season. Trayce, being an Indiana kid, staying and legitimately getting IU back to it's place toward the top... makes him an Indiana legend. Lets say he goes to Kansas or Texas and goes to the Final Four. It's still a great story and it would be great for Trayce, but it's just not the same as if he accomplished it IU

Reactions: .Gerdis
Same thought here. Trayce seems to take it all upon himself when IU falters. Would he be better off escaping the grind of the B10 and the pressure of IU through the portal? I'd hate it, but it's a real question.

Honest question, what should IU be doing with NIL that they aren’t doing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT